Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

jack sheedy

Go down 
+28
Moorefieldbhoy
BelieveToAchieve
Come on the Boys in Blue
Taibi
walsheman
jj
Bān go Lēir
johnsmyth
Highball
Derfil
losthope
tomcruise
kickingking
Ohtoohtobe
lastline
overthebar
le hit in
GaaHead
if_in_doubt
Ogie
Lily8
bag of white
realmoore
centreback
ohluckyme
denlaw
Big Full Back
Jimmy winning matches
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
losthope
All-Star
All-Star

jack sheedy - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: jack sheedy   jack sheedy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 11:31 pm

I would be shocked if he decided to switch, as a matter of fact I would have more respect for him if he returned to his own county set up. Players like him should lead not follow the flock
Back to top Go down
Derfil
Senior
Senior
Derfil

PostSubject: Re: jack sheedy   jack sheedy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 3:13 am

He has to be living or working in Kildare and on top of that would want to play for Kildare. I'd say the answer is no to all 3 of these. Why do people even suggest this?
Back to top Go down
centreback
All-Star
All-Star
centreback

PostSubject: Re: jack sheedy   jack sheedy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 8:30 am

why not suggest it? be terrible to see this lad not playing inter county football and he be welcome in any county i`d say
Back to top Go down
Highball
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: jack sheedy   jack sheedy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 7:00 pm

No No No.. Lads this would be setting an unbelievably poor example and a dangerous precendent going forward!

And before anyone starts, i realise that there are numerous cases of players playing for adopted counties (we have both benefited and lost out as a result). However, the vast majority of these cases were people moving for work reasons making it practically impossible to play for their home county.

To up sticks and leave to your neighbouring county because you have the hump is certainly not the way i would like to see the game going. Imagine how many Laois lads would come knocking on our doors if that was the case Smile

Seriously though, although he is a wonderful player over the years, I would be totally against him joining up with the kildare squad
Back to top Go down
johnsmyth
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: jack sheedy   jack sheedy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 8:36 pm

Totally agree, it is sad that people are suggesting this, have ye no pride?. I'd say he would'nt play for Kildare they'd be the last team he would play for and I'll eat my keyboard if it ever happens.
Back to top Go down
Bān go Lēir
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: jack sheedy   jack sheedy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 10:10 pm

I had heard a rumour a couple of weeks back, that mcnamee was working around the newbridge area, and he was been linked with Moorefield!? is that just speculation?? was it just somebody putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5???
Back to top Go down
centreback
All-Star
All-Star
centreback

PostSubject: Re: jack sheedy   jack sheedy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 12:46 am

so ye should have a problem with niall browne playing with clare then if thats yer case i dont remember ye kicking up at the beginning of the year about that
Back to top Go down
Highball
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: jack sheedy   jack sheedy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 1:02 am

Why did Niall Browne switch allegiances to Clare? Is he living or working down around there? I dont have an issue with lads switching counties if its not practical playing with your own.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: jack sheedy   jack sheedy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 2:28 am

Niall Browne's mother is from Clare (similar story with Adrian Cahill) and because Clare are a designated 'weaker' county, they can call up players who have a parent from their county. That's not the case in Kildare AFAIK.

I know there's an element of tongue in cheek in lads posts but I fear that some people genuinely are being serious here re McNamee. Get a grip lads ffs! The guy has no Kildare connections and I'd rather fail without him. At least we'd be playing with one of our own who has been with Kildare football all along and has an affinity with the county. Before anyone brings up Lacey, Murphy and O'Dwyer, there's an obvious difference between them and McNamee.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: jack sheedy   jack sheedy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 2:34 am

It's different as well because Offaly are our arch rivals (and because Browne is surplus to requirements in Kildare). That rivalry seems to have escaped some people here, who obviously haven't met too many Biffos - however much we dislike them, they have a deep, deep hatred of us. Put it this way, could you see Graham Geraghty playing for Dublin, or Alan Brogan for Meath? We have a whole structure in place to produce Kildare talent and get the most out of Kildare men playing for Kildare. Supporters dreaming up quick fixes where we poach our most bitter rivals' best players need to cop on to themselves and have some pride.
Lacey, Murphy and O'Dwyer are different (the last two weren't near getting their games with their home counties, just like Browne, and Lacey had moved here).
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: jack sheedy   jack sheedy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 2:39 am

Ohtoohtobe wrote:
Supporters dreaming up quick fixes where we poach our most bitter rivals' best players need to cop on to themselves and have some pride.

It's a manifestation of English soccer culture.

Back to top Go down
le hit in
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: jack sheedy   jack sheedy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 3:24 am

Browne committed himself to Kildare for a right few years before joining the Clare Panel this year. He's been on the senior panel as a young lad and again in 2008 when he featured in a couple of league matches. He has also played on the Junior/ Development squads of the last couple of years.
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star
Big Full Back

PostSubject: Re: jack sheedy   jack sheedy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 3:30 am

We've lost the thread lads... Start a new one or read back some months ago and we hashed this out....
Back to top Go down
le hit in
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: jack sheedy   jack sheedy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 3:39 am

Okay Admin... Vigilante
Back to top Go down
centreback
All-Star
All-Star
centreback

PostSubject: Re: jack sheedy   jack sheedy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 4:13 am

so if mcnanmee was working in kildare ye wouldn`t have a problem with it like lacey?

on the browne situation i think yer trying to make it out to be different but at the end of the day this lad just decided to go play with another county cause he couldnt hack it here what if peter kelly hugh mcgrillen took that option after an unsuccessfull underage career or even diarmuid connolly with dublin
sure tell yis what wel pass on hendy, heff, walsh and mccormack aswell let them persue there county career where they can have an impact if these are the rules to go by
Back to top Go down
le hit in
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: jack sheedy   jack sheedy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 5:07 am

Browne did all he could to get into a Kildare shirt. He owes it nothing! He established he was not going to feature on the Kildare senior panel so explored other routes. Nothing wrong with a lad wanting to play football at the highest level he can.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: jack sheedy   jack sheedy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 5:48 am

le hit in wrote:
Browne did all he could to get into a Kildare shirt. He owes it nothing! He established he was not going to feature on the Kildare senior panel so explored other routes. Nothing wrong with a lad wanting to play football at the highest level he can.

Actually yes there is. There's plenty wrong with it in my opinion. You don't pick and choose your county, your born and bred into it. For the want of a better phrase its in your blood.

Working far from your own county in my opinion is acceptable, but not simply just opting for another county.

Browne was once captain of the Kildare Juniors, who very nearly won the All Ireland this year.

Getting your ass handed to you on a plate in Munster for Clare, or captaining my own county's B team in effect to Leinster and All Ireland glory. I know which one i'd prefer.

But as kicking king said earlier. It's the soccer culture in todays society.

Back to top Go down
Lily8
All-Star
All-Star
Lily8

PostSubject: Re: jack sheedy   jack sheedy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 6:15 am

Someone asked why this was suggested in the first place. Heard he did an interview a short while ago and said he was impressed by Kildare's set up and how much better it was than Offaly's and that he knew some of our players. I presume this is where all this began.

Personally if he wanted to play for Kildare I wouldn't mind. I wouldn't say that i'd rather fail without him than win with him. Lots of players have swapped counties for different reasons before. I wouldn't be turning away one of the top forwards in the country if he came knocking at our door. That's just my opinion but I don't see it happening anyway.
Back to top Go down
bag of white
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: jack sheedy   jack sheedy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 6:29 am

Lily4Life wrote:
Someone asked why this was suggested in the first place. Heard he did an interview a short while ago and said he was impressed by Kildare's set up and how much better it was than Offaly's and that he knew some of our players. I presume this is where all this began.

Personally if he wanted to play for Kildare I wouldn't mind. I wouldn't say that i'd rather fail without him than win with him. Lots of players have swapped counties for different reasons before. I wouldn't be turning away one of the top forwards in the country if he came knocking at our door. That's just my opinion but I don't see it happening anyway.

I think my tongue in cheek post on the first page kicked off a lot of this speculation. I'm proud of that. afro
Back to top Go down
jj
All-Star
All-Star
jj

PostSubject: Re: jack sheedy   jack sheedy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 8:17 am

I dont think the prospect of McNamee declaring for Kildare is as far fetched as some people seem to think it is on here. If he does declare for us we have nothing to be ashamed of in the slightest. It would not be as if we had 'poached' him or were actively loking for him to come. It would simply be a case of a player now working in the county and wanting to throw his lot in with us. Similar to someone like Larry Tompkins going to Cork. Anyone remember him ........
Back to top Go down
centreback
All-Star
All-Star
centreback

PostSubject: Re: jack sheedy   jack sheedy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 8:40 am

also similar to brian lacey, jj!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: jack sheedy   jack sheedy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 8:57 am

Lacey and Tompkins could not be compared to McNamee. Tipp and Cork are many miles from Kildare. Offaly shares a border with us.

Cannot be compared.
Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

PostSubject: Re: jack sheedy   jack sheedy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 9:03 am

cant see him declaring,is a great player but he wont be joining us
Back to top Go down
le hit in
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: jack sheedy   jack sheedy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 9:53 am

fionnmccool wrote:
le hit in wrote:

Actually yes there is. There's plenty wrong with it in my opinion. You don't pick and choose your county, your born and bred into it. For the want of a better phrase its in your blood.

Working far from your own county in my opinion is acceptable, but not simply just opting for another county.

Browne was once captain of the Kildare Juniors, who very nearly won the All Ireland this year.

Getting your ass handed to you on a plate in Munster for Clare, or captaining my own county's B team in effect to Leinster and All Ireland glory. I know which one i'd prefer.

But as kicking king said earlier. It's the soccer culture in todays society.

I couldn't disagree more! Sit in front of a television and watch championship football or play a part in it......? I'd give my left foot (and it's a sweet left foot at that) to play for Kildare but if I did everything and still couldn't get the nod I'd definitely play elsewhere. I couldn't care who it is!!! I'd probably even play for the Dubs. Everyone on here is football crazy. We would all love to play senior inter county football!!!
Back to top Go down
centreback
All-Star
All-Star
centreback

PostSubject: Re: jack sheedy   jack sheedy - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 10:07 am

fionnmccool wrote:
Lacey and Tompkins could not be compared to McNamee. Tipp and Cork are many miles from Kildare. Offaly shares a border with us.

Cannot be compared.

geography should have nothing to do with it its the main point of someone leaving there county to play with another no matter how far or near, i have no problem with it but some people seem to think its alright for browne lacey and tompkins to do it but mcnamee no and maybe it will never happen but my point is how is it different to other situations if mcnamee was working here and wanted to play here?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: jack sheedy   jack sheedy - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

jack sheedy
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next