Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.

Go down 
+54
bite the pillow
SplitThePosts
kickingking
ClaneLillywhite
lilywhites on tour
fatherted
Thin Blue Line
srg hartman
Anyonebutthedubs
lily4fr
Ogie
steviegenius
standhimup
Hurlerbehindtheditch
lilysavage
shortgrass
parcel
Cassanata
Ned
topcat
jj
Southern Gael
Admin
john Boy
Onechance
white boy
Taibi
moatesports
Thelillywhites
GoDownOnIt
lomond
BearintheSquare
Botch
NorthernLily89
seamymurphy
CillDara71
LillieLad
Badger85
KILL BILL
jimmers
White Bridge
Caprea
flourman
Curraghplains
TommyKeegan
Clubman
jim
murof
Highball
Rex
Cilldara_2000
Flamingo
Gaa1928
FionnMcCool
58 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next
AuthorMessage
FionnMcCool
Intercounty
Intercounty

Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  Empty
PostSubject: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2021 2:06 pm

“Of course, there is an allure there,” he told Paul Rouse on the Irish Examiner football podcast. “Who doesn’t want to coach Man United? There is that allure because of the tradition.

There was always question marks over Jack for me, I was willing to give him another year on the back of his achievements this year.

However in Kildare we may not be Man Utd, Barcelona or Madrid. But we are a proud footballing county.

We won't get to being near those if we're being told qe'rw not those by the mam charged with trying to get us there.

For me , Jack. Good Luck. Get out the gap. Could you imagine Mayo, Tyrone, Dublin, Donegal or Monaghan manager coming out and saying they want to manage another county .

Any self respecting county board wouldn't tolerate it. And we shouldn't either.
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2021 2:25 pm

I agree, 100%, JOC out, what was he even doing giving that interview.
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2021 2:44 pm

Back to top Go down
Cilldara_2000
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2021 3:20 pm

In context with the interviewer's question here from ~1:01:00: https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40369499.html

What wasn't said is most significant considering how easy it would have been to say, even while singing the praises of Kerry, that he's agreed another year in Kildare and that's that (as reported last week).

So +1 from me on get out the gap.

lilywhites on tour likes this post

Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2021 3:29 pm

Agreed, some way to lose the support you had. County Board should move him on now. As a player you wouldn't call that leadership. Davy Burke sitting on his hands. Time to give him the job he should have got two years ago.

flourman and lilywhites on tour like this post

Back to top Go down
Highball
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2021 3:48 pm

Embarrasing , cringe worthy. As said, no other top team would tollerate their manager salivating over coaching another team.

Thanks jack, a good year but you cant come back from that
Back to top Go down
FionnMcCool
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2021 5:42 pm

As a Kildare man to the bone. Travelling the length and breadth of the country supporting them, it leave a really sour taste to hear that from our Senior County Manager.

Listening to it earlier today, it actually made my blood boil.

At no stage during the podcast did he distance himself from the inevitable Kerry position.  No stage did he mention his commitment to Kildare . In face Kildare weren't mentioned at any stage. Mad to think, coming from our Senior Manager that at no stage would we be mentioned. He didn't however fair to mentioned the success he had when he managed Kerry previously .

Kildare county board shouldn't wait to be left in the lurch.  The axe should fall now, get someone in to take us forward in Div.1
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2021 6:44 pm

If Jack wants to leave let him go. We have a top candidate, who has actually won something with Kildare waiting for his chance. Would be great if the county board contacted Davy to see if he is interested and then told Jack to move on.
Would send a strong signal that we are an ambitious county. Not the way the county board operates unfortunately. Lost a lot of respect for Jack after that interview.

ClaneLillywhite and Clubman like this post

Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2021 8:19 pm

I'd be giving it to Glenn Ryan if he's interested. I think he would bring the supporters and would get money men on board to support the team. Thats nothing against Davy Burke he'd also be a good fit too.
Back to top Go down
Clubman
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2021 8:38 pm

Long time since i posted on this forum. Yes we had a good year but like fionn mccool above said , listening to that interview made my blood boil . How can we ask our lads to have pride in the jersey if the manager clearly hasnt. No other self respecting county in this country would put up with that interview. I really hope our cb show some backbone here . We have a helluva lot going for us .
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2021 9:20 pm

Clubman wrote:
Long time since i posted on this forum. Yes we had a good year but like fionn mccool above said , listening to that interview made my blood boil . How can we ask our lads to have pride in the jersey if the manager clearly hasnt.  No other self respecting county in this country would put up with that interview. I really hope our cb show some backbone here . We have a helluva lot going for us .

We had an ok year. Beat Cork Laois and Meath and beaten by Clare to get to division 1. Beat Offaly and got over Westmeath because they couldn't score lets be honest about it. Normal service resumed against a Dublin team on the way down. As I say an ok year!!

lilywhites on tour likes this post

Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2021 10:05 am

Big time. We spent a year of Covid where he'd nothing to do keeping his account topped up despite no income. Did well last year but nothing mind-blowing and even if he had, we aren't a seat-warmed and while they may be Manchester United, he isn't the big name and modern manager he was. I'd be calling Davy Burke this morning so he can get around to club championship games.
Back to top Go down
Curraghplains
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2021 11:21 am

TommyKeegan wrote:
Big time. We spent a year of Covid where he'd nothing to do keeping his account topped up despite no income. Did well last year but nothing mind-blowing and even if he had, we aren't a seat-warmed and while they may be Manchester United, he isn't the big name and modern manager he was. I'd be calling Davy Burke this morning so he can get around to club championship games.
he was attending club games in newbridge within 48 hours of statement saying he had left Wicklow
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2021 11:43 am

One thing I felt the footballers missed during Covid was any real presence locally too. Like Herity is not a Kildare man but he still got the hurlers out for charity runs and so on. He just seemed more connected to the county and that is the general vibe with Jack for me.

I don't know why, but like he just seems to be here. (I'm sure the man puts in the work and that is harsh but it's just the vibe.)

Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2021 12:46 pm

FionnMcCool wrote:

But, of course, we will.
The only way JOC is not with Kildare next year, is if he is offered the Kerry job.

Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2021 12:43 pm

flourman wrote:
FionnMcCool wrote:

But, of course, we will.
The only way JOC is not with Kildare next year, is if he is offered the Kerry job.

Looks like your right. Shows our ambition as a county. I just cancelled my club kildare membership.
Back to top Go down
Caprea
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 7:29 am

Might be some news on this today

lilysavage likes this post

Back to top Go down
White Bridge
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 8:13 am

Caprea wrote:
Might be some news on this today

Ah jaysus, don't leave us hanging like that?
Back to top Go down
Caprea
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 8:40 am

Heard second hand the position is going to become vacant from someone not inside the camp but a credible person. Maybe it won’t come out today but if it’s true can’t see it staying secret for long. Maybe ive been sold a bullsh*t story, we’ll see.
Back to top Go down
White Bridge
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 8:41 am

Good stuff...........ah there mus be some truth in it...........no smoke without fire!
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star
jimmers

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 9:05 am

Statement from Kildare GAA

JO'C stepping down with immediate effect
Back to top Go down
White Bridge
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 9:06 am

Fair play @Caprea - you were on the ball
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star
jimmers

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 9:06 am

Back to top Go down
White Bridge
Intercounty
Intercounty

Fair play @Caprea - you were on the ball
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star
jimmers

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 9:17 am

A shadow was cast over his tenure following his comments last week but overall a positive contribution to Kildare GAA - promotion to Division One and a Leinster Final. His successor is inheriting a decent squad with a base to build on.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.
Page 1 of 21Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next