Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.

Go down 
+54
bite the pillow
SplitThePosts
kickingking
ClaneLillywhite
lilywhites on tour
fatherted
Thin Blue Line
srg hartman
Anyonebutthedubs
lily4fr
Ogie
steviegenius
standhimup
Hurlerbehindtheditch
lilysavage
shortgrass
parcel
Cassanata
Ned
topcat
jj
Southern Gael
Admin
john Boy
Onechance
white boy
Taibi
moatesports
Thelillywhites
GoDownOnIt
lomond
BearintheSquare
Botch
NorthernLily89
seamymurphy
CillDara71
LillieLad
Badger85
KILL BILL
jimmers
White Bridge
Caprea
flourman
Curraghplains
TommyKeegan
Clubman
jim
murof
Highball
Rex
Cilldara_2000
Flamingo
Gaa1928
FionnMcCool
58 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 21  Next
AuthorMessage
FionnMcCool
Intercounty
Intercounty

Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 3:13 pm

NorthernLily89 wrote:
FionnMcCool wrote:
I'm going to throw a name out there. Rory Gallagher

Would take Kildare backwards with negative football.

Also would happily take a manager who doesn't spit on his hands every 5 seconds, so no thank you.

He didn't take Derry backwards. The opposite actually.

I actually don't think we lack football ability whatsoever in Kildare . Sometimes we lack balls and a winning mentality more than anything
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 3:19 pm

I really did think O'Connor would give the whole place a boost but I was equally excited that Glavin was in with him as I thought there would be some continuity all going well.

It didn't pan out but if we have an overall style and a Senior manager linking in more with the overall set-up it'd be great.
Brendan Hackett also winning with Ballymun too, so could be another person on the ticket...

Roly is another one that would be good to get back involved in some way.

I am not saying for the top job but good men in the camp can surely help.

We don't have money for some of the big lads doing serious mileage either, so it has to be a bit more local.

Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 3:33 pm

Seriously do people think some of those managers would have the slightest interest in taking on Kildare? What have we done over the last 5 years to make us an attractive option? Some embarrassing defeats to teams who have no hope of winning a Leinster title themselves. We finally got promoted this year but would we have done so after 7 matches rather than 3? The defeats to Clare were very disappointing and made us look very ordinary. Our underage success has dried up.
Davy Burke deserves a go on the back of his AI win, our first in over 50 years! His team played some wonderful football and beat Dublin, Kerry and Mayo to win the title. Successful counties appoint managers who have done well at underage level. If we appoint Cribben then that's me done after so many years.
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 3:37 pm

There are plenty of options.
Ask these lads if they are interested.
Make it open as was said earlier.
Managers appointed in an open transpaarent and organised way is much better.

Its an attractive job.

Hopefully that sneak o connor fails in kerry. I think it was a shocking thing to do. A real two fingers up to the players.
Back to top Go down
NorthernLily89
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 3:44 pm

murof wrote:
Seriously do people think some of those managers would have the slightest interest in taking on Kildare? What have we done over the last 5 years to make us an attractive option? Some embarrassing defeats to teams who have no hope of winning a Leinster title themselves. We finally got promoted this year but would we have done so after 7 matches rather than 3? The defeats to Clare were very disappointing and made us look very ordinary. Our underage success has dried up.
Davy Burke deserves a go on the back of his AI  win, our first in over 50 years! His team played some wonderful football and beat Dublin, Kerry  and Mayo to win the title. Successful counties appoint managers who have done well at underage level. If we appoint Cribben then that's me done after so many years.

I agree, think we're wasting our time with the big name managers from outside the county. They're in it for the paychecks, just to drive to Newbridge 3 times a week.

We need a manager who at least attends club games from all codes junior to senior. In fairness Geezer bought into our county and made a great effort unlike the last fella.

Clubman likes this post

Back to top Go down
BearintheSquare
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 3:58 pm

1. Burke
2. Ryan
3. Rainbow
4. Rochford
5. McStay

They would be my choices. Anyone outside of that and ill return the club kildare card too.
Back to top Go down
White Bridge
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 4:00 pm

Is that Clem or Jason @ No. 2????? Very Happy

bite the pillow and BearintheSquare like this post

Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 4:10 pm

McStay!! After his column a couple of weeks ago there is more chance of myself and Geezer as my number 2 taking over.
Back to top Go down
BearintheSquare
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 4:10 pm

White Bridge wrote:
Is that Clem or Jason @ No. 2????? Very Happy

Glenn lol
Back to top Go down
CillDara71
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 4:17 pm

I get the point Murof but genuinely how many jobs are there for these potential candidates that are a better option than Kildare ? Mayo/Tyrone clearly not looking, Dublin (if looking) won't go outside the county.....you're talking a very limited number of better options......and I know you say our underage success has dried up but any good manager looking at the young forwards we introduced this year would be thinking how much he could get out of them...not to mention Dan Flynn ! As others have said, if you don't ask....

(And just being pedantic, got promoted in 4 games, not 3)
Back to top Go down
CillDara71
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 4:33 pm

Davy Burke would still be my own personal preference by the way, not saying we should go external
Back to top Go down
Clubman
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 4:40 pm

I really hope the CB take the opportunity to give Davy Burke a crack at the job. From speaking to ex players that he has coached they cannot speak highly enough of him . He has an unbelievable knowledge of the players in kildare and a massive appetite for work. I have a sinking feeling that the progression of the team is not going to be the no 1 priority in the decision. No disrespect to any candidate throwing his name in the hat but surely there is one standout and thats Burke . Was always a massive ryan fan but maybe his time just passed and unfortunately he never got a crack. Would be shocking if the same faith fell on burke . I hope the rumour mill is out of sync this morning .
Back to top Go down
lomond
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 4:50 pm

Hopefully the selection committee is ratified at tomorrow nights county board meeting so we can get the wheels moving on this...

BearintheSquare likes this post

Back to top Go down
GoDownOnIt
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 5:03 pm

lomond wrote:
Hopefully the selection committee is ratified at tomorrow nights county board meeting so we can get the wheels moving on this...

Do you know who is on the proposed committee Iomond or has it been put forward yet?
Back to top Go down
CillDara71
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 5:16 pm

Next Permanent Kildare Senior Football Manager
4-6 Davy Burke
5-4 Tom Cribbin
12 Glenn Ryan
12 Niall Carew
16 Jim McGuinness
20 Anthony Rainbow
20 Ross Glavin
25 Malachy O Rourke
25 Stephen Rochford
33 Jim Gavin
100 Davy Fitzgerald
Back to top Go down
NorthernLily89
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 5:23 pm

CillDara71 wrote:
Next Permanent Kildare Senior Football Manager
4-6      Davy Burke
5-4      Tom Cribbin
12        Glenn Ryan
12        Niall Carew
16        Jim McGuinness
20        Anthony Rainbow
20        Ross Glavin
25        Malachy O Rourke
25        Stephen Rochford
33       Jim Gavin
100      Davy Fitzgerald

Tom Cribbin 5/4 scares me

seamymurphy likes this post

Back to top Go down
Thelillywhites
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 5:29 pm

Well in my opinion if Jim Mc Gunniess were available. I would take him in a heartbeat least the panel could do is ask the man is he interested. Just listening to how the man can analyse the game and I feel he would give the team that clever impetus that we need and the bit of mental steel and good tackling not to mention I think he would bring a much needed buzz to the county. I would have however a stipulation there that Davy Burke would be a selecror under McGuinness with the view of learning from him and taking on the role then in two to three years time.

Now lets be honest no disrespect to Niall or Tom but they would be classed now as merry go round managers and hardly would bring the buzz thats badly needed back into the county.
Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 5:37 pm

That's too close for comfort, I hope JOC has no parting selection recommendations, for me it's now or never for Davy Burke, surely the County board will make the best decision in the interests of the senior team?
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 5:45 pm

Davy Burke is trending on Twitter!

I know it's no real world measure but it's something positive if he got the job. Christ take an easy win County Board.

If it goes to shite then he gets the boot, but give it a go.

GoDownOnIt likes this post

Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 5:51 pm

Why does Davy deserve a crack at it and Glenn doesn't? And id be delighted if Davy got it btw.
Back to top Go down
GoDownOnIt
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 5:54 pm

I don't think Tom Cribbin is in the running lads. He was seen leaving Newbridge on Saturday after the Clane / Larries game. If he was in the running surely he would have stayed to watch the Naas v Maynooth match? Two of the form sides in the championship and both with a lot of young players, any future manager would be a fool to miss the opportunity to see what new players he could potentially bring in.

Then again it was getting late and the dinner was probably on and sure look, he deserves a go at it..... sure isn't he as good as any lad and at the end of the day... we just don't have the players!
Back to top Go down
FionnMcCool
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 6:01 pm

Tom Cribbin was at the Tyrone v Kerry game with JOC too.....
Back to top Go down
moatesports
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 6:15 pm

I'd like Glen and Davy to get the job a lot if teams have 2 bosses nowadays

seamymurphy likes this post

Back to top Go down
http://moatesports.ie
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 6:25 pm

Flamingo wrote:
Davy Burke is trending on Twitter!

I know it's no real world measure but it's something positive if he got the job. Christ take an easy win County Board.

If it goes to shite then he gets the boot, but give it a go.
As best a way of putting it. It's an easy win for the CB,  everyone wants it and  there are no ramifications if it doesn't work out.

It's an open goal just tap it in and let's get on with other issues
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 7:14 pm

My preference would be Davy, failing that Rochford or O Rourke. No disrespect to Tom Cribben, Glenn, or Rainbow I don't want any of them. I hope the county board does their due diligence and actually have a different method of appointing managers than they have previously.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.
Page 3 of 21Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 21  Next