Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.

Go down 
+54
bite the pillow
SplitThePosts
kickingking
ClaneLillywhite
lilywhites on tour
fatherted
Thin Blue Line
srg hartman
Anyonebutthedubs
lily4fr
Ogie
steviegenius
standhimup
Hurlerbehindtheditch
lilysavage
shortgrass
parcel
Cassanata
Ned
topcat
jj
Southern Gael
Admin
john Boy
Onechance
white boy
Taibi
moatesports
Thelillywhites
GoDownOnIt
lomond
BearintheSquare
Botch
NorthernLily89
seamymurphy
CillDara71
LillieLad
Badger85
KILL BILL
jimmers
White Bridge
Caprea
flourman
Curraghplains
TommyKeegan
Clubman
jim
murof
Highball
Rex
Cilldara_2000
Flamingo
Gaa1928
FionnMcCool
58 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next
AuthorMessage
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 8:38 pm

Again, and I know I am being harsh on this but it never really felt like he embedded with us. Like he could take it or leave it really.

Like especially during the Pandemic it would have been great to have someone closer to home as we just seemed to go off the radar totally.

Obviously he committed a lot of time and effort and I'd thank him for the work he put in. We made a Leinster Final and got to Division 1, so there is plenty to build on.
Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 9:09 pm

Surely this is Davy's time?

seamymurphy likes this post

Back to top Go down
Badger85
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 9:12 pm

I have no faith that the county board have the forethought or ability to appoint somebody like Davy Burke.

Hopefully I’m wrong, but I predict a Tom Cribbin ticket.

ClaneLillywhite likes this post

Back to top Go down
GoDownOnIt
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 10:18 pm

Badger85 wrote:
I have no faith that the county board have the forethought or ability to appoint somebody like Davy Burke.

I've come out of retirement again because this is a very important moment. Nothing against Tom but I hope to god they don't appoint him. More of the same oul same oul.

Davy Burke is the man for the job without doubt. Anyone I've spoken to about this in the county wants Davy Burke.... if the CB are in touch with things they'll try to appoint him.... if they appoint Tom, they will consign us to another 5 years of being ranked somewhere between 10 - 16 in the country.

Good luck to Jack, he proved me wrong on some things and right on some things.... overall I'd say he's in the black but not by much.

To all those who I've sparred with here in the past, please don't post anything that annoys me.

Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 10:35 pm

If Tom Cribbin is appointed I’m giving up by club Kildare membership and not going to matches next year, no point in wasting money.

Badger85 and seamymurphy like this post

Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 10:47 pm

Davey Burke is the only choice the CB should be making. To not make that decision would cause trouble. The only thing that should stop it is if Davey says no.

As for JOC, I'm ambivalent. Got us to Div 1 which we are grateful for but we had some very poor days as well. Added to his podcast and I'm not bothered he's gone.
Back to top Go down
Caprea
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 11:00 pm

Burke may get it but I don’t buy that it’s him or nobody.

Malachy orourke
Stephen rochford
Jimmy mcguinness

Are all out there
Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 11:07 pm

Day Burke please, no more journeymen

Back to top Go down
FionnMcCool
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 11:08 pm

Caprea wrote:
Burke may get it but I don’t buy that it’s him or nobody.

Malachy orourke
Stephen rochford
Jimmy mcguinness

Are all out there

I'd agree with this somewhat.  Burke probably deserved his shot a while back on the back of the u21achievement. Since, he has done little to merit being the automatic choice.

I believe we should for what it's worth get the absolute best we can get. Have a transparent process and follow it. See who is interested and interview them and get the best. If that is Jim McGuinnese then it's Jim McGuinness. If the best we can get is  Jason Ryan then it's him. But don't settle for mediocrity for the sake of it. (I'm not suggesting Davy us mediocrity by the way, I'm merry stating get the best we can)

Go out and get the best man for the job that is willing to do it .
Back to top Go down
FionnMcCool
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 11:12 pm

Rex wrote:
Davey Burke is the only choice the CB should be making. To not make that decision would cause trouble. The only thing that should stop it is if Davey says no.

As for JOC, I'm ambivalent. Got us to Div 1 which we are grateful for but we had some very poor days as well. Added to his podcast and I'm not bothered he's gone.

Why is he the only choice ?
Back to top Go down
FionnMcCool
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 11:12 pm

GoDownOnIt wrote:
Badger85 wrote:

I've come out of retirement again because this is a very important moment. Nothing against Tom but I hope to god they don't appoint him. More of the same oul same oul.

Davy Burke is the man for the job without doubt. Anyone I've spoken to about this in the county wants Davy Burke.... if the CB are in touch with things they'll try to appoint him.... if they appoint Tom, they will consign us to another 5 years of being ranked somewhere between 10 - 16 in the country.

Good luck to Jack, he proved me wrong on some things and right on some things.... overall I'd say he's in the black but not by much.

To all those who I've sparred with here in the past, please don't post anything that annoys me.

Welcome back. Good to have more voices and input around here. It we all agreed it would be no fun.
Back to top Go down
Curraghplains
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 11:17 pm

Clem ryan said Tom Cribbin is front runner, Clem also said 3 times in last 2 weeeks that jack wouldn’t be around next year
Back to top Go down
GoDownOnIt
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 11:26 pm

Newbridgeornowhere wrote:
Clem ryan said Tom Cribbin is front runner, Clem also said  3 times in last 2 weeeks that jack wouldn’t be around next year

This worries me a great deal! Lord lamb of jaysus

Good points there about others who might be good too. It shouldn't be a foregone conclusion for Davy (althogh I think you're harsh saying he hasn't done enough since winning the U20 - A county title with Sars was good and then a promotion for Wicklow is good)

Remember the Kevin McStay article?? Its brought into focus now..... Have "Biscuit Tin" and the boys learned any lessons?????

We'll soon see

Back to top Go down
Curraghplains
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 11:27 pm

Davy Burke interview in Kildare nationalist this week out tomorrow interview done last week
Back to top Go down
FionnMcCool
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 11:32 pm

GoDownOnIt wrote:
Clem ryan said Tom Cribbin is front runner, Clem also said  3 times in last 2 weeeks that jack wouldn’t be around next year

This worries me a great deal! Lord lamb of jaysus

Good points there about others who might be good too. It shouldn't be a foregone conclusion for Davy (althogh I think you're harsh saying he hasn't done enough since winning the U20 - A county title with Sars was good and then a promotion for Wicklow is good)

Remember the Kevin McStay article?? Its brought into focus now..... Have "Biscuit Tin" and the boys learned any lessons?????

We'll soon see

The biscuit tin boys will forever be the biscuit tin boys.

As I said in an earlier post. Make the process for appointment transparent. Have a committee appointed to carry it out. Release the names on the committee. Approach people and invite applications. Get the best you can. Interview them and do the f*cking thing properly .

If Cribbin is the best, then he's the best. But have a f*cking process for it. Make the appointment somewhat credible.

GoDownOnIt and BearintheSquare like this post

Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2021 12:02 am

Exactly Fionn. Let's have a proper process to look at who is there and available.
We don't want to reading the likes of the McStay story getting a call at the 11th hour to tell him his name went forward.

I would say as well that that means we don't just go for Davy and not see what else is there. Malachy O'Rourke and the names mentioned are not journeymen and he did great work with limited resources in Monaghan.

All that being said I really think we need to get someone closer to home (if not from the county).
And as said Davy has more than the U20 win behind him.
Rainbow also won a Dublin SFC with Ballyboden in 2019 too and his name will surely pop up too.

Just let's have a process anyway and may the best man win.
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2021 12:11 am

I think Davy has committed to Laois.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2021 12:12 am

FionnMcCool wrote:
Rex wrote:

Why is he the only choice ?
Because I'm being realistic. Jim McGuiness and the like aren't coming here due to any number of reasons. 
Davey deserves the chance. He's Kildare to the core and done what no other Kildare manager could do in 53 years. Added to a lot of the players coming up respect and have played under him already. Just seems the logical choice. And usually obvious choice is the right one.
Back to top Go down
CillDara71
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2021 12:12 am

Good to see it has come to a conclusion quickly which will give the new man time to get ready. Hopefully it will be a quick but more importantly thorough process
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2021 12:13 am

Gaa1928 wrote:
I think Davy has committed to Laois.
He should uncommit then

BearintheSquare likes this post

Back to top Go down
seamymurphy
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2021 12:46 am

I'm really worried now Folks.. surely not.
Let's hope that the CB have at least a conversation with Davey before He commits to the Laois Job.
Back to top Go down
FionnMcCool
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2021 12:53 am

I'm going to throw a name out there. Rory Gallagher
Back to top Go down
FionnMcCool
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2021 1:02 am

Some other names fo add.

Jim Gavin - you don't know unless you ask
Malachy O Rourke
Jim McGuinness
Kevin McStay
Stephen Rochford
Anthony Rainbow
Rory Gallagher - already mentioned
Kevin Walsh
Mick Bohan
Mickey Graham

Some of these are obviously unattainable. But you don't know unless the question is asked.

ClaneLillywhite likes this post

Back to top Go down
NorthernLily89
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2021 1:03 am

FionnMcCool wrote:
I'm going to throw a name out there. Rory Gallagher

Would take Kildare backwards with negative football.

Also would happily take a manager who doesn't spit on his hands every 5 seconds, so no thank you.
Back to top Go down
Badger85
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2021 1:03 am

Name one county where Cribbin did a good job? It’s back to the future stuff picking him.

A throw back to Crofton era Kildare. No ambition to change anything.

Similarly to previous posters, if he gets picked, I’m cancelling my club Kildare.

These gombeen men and women don’t deserve our hard earned cash.

NorthernLily89 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.    Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.  - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jack O'Connor - Thank you, but Good Luck.
Page 2 of 21Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next