Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dermot Earley

Go down 
+8
jj
racer
browners84
le hit in
Come on the Boys in Blue
Rex
learmus
kickingking
12 posters
AuthorMessage
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

Dermot Earley Empty
PostSubject: Dermot Earley   Dermot Earley Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 8:15 pm

Shefflin’s recovery has inspired me-Earley
Kildare ace determined to hit Lily heights once more to emulate King Henry

Dermot Earley is hoping to be back in action for Kildare before the end of the National League after a nightmare year recovering from a cruciate injury

By Cliona Foley

Friday October 28 2011

SEEING Henry Shefflin return from a second cruciate knee injury to receive his record 10th All Star last week has convinced Kildare football star Dermot Earley (33) that he, too, can make it back to the top of his game.

The Sarsfields midfielder is in the middle of rebuilding his knee after receiving cruciate surgery on it for the second time in eight months.

It was feared that the recurrence of the problem in the summer would force the totemic Lilywhite to retire from the game, but he has revealed that seeing Shefflin's spectacular comeback to his brilliant best this summer has been a huge factor in convincing him to stick with it.

"When you see the likes of Henry making the sort of recovery that he did after a second cruciate, that is extremely heartening," Earley said.

"Of course, Henry is an exceptional athlete and there's no guarantee that I will make as good a recovery as he has, but it has certainly spurred me on."

Earley added that Kildare's consistent progress in the championship, which has seen them make three All-Ireland quarter-finals and one semi-final in the past four years, has also increased his motivation and desire to be part of the picture.

"When you're injured you contribute whatever you can, but there's only so much you can do and what you really want is to be playing with the lads," he said.

"I always felt I wasn't ready to hang up my boots yet and seeing how well the team played again in the summer only underlined for me how much I want to contribute still, if I can at all.

"Being out for so long really makes you hungry to get back playing, so, if anything, it's given me an added appetite for playing.

"Of course, there's no guarantee yet of how well I'll get back, but I am working hard on my rehab and it's going well," he said.

Earley was an incalcuable loss to Kildare this year when he was rocked once again by the dreaded cruciate problem. He had surgery last October on the initial injury that forced him out of the 2010 All-Ireland quarter-final against Meath.

But just when he felt ready to mount a serious comeback for Kieran McGeeney's side, Earley received another huge setback. "My recovery seemed to be going fine until June," he explained.

"I was in the gym one day and felt a bit of a tweak in it. It wasn't bad or anything, but it just wasn't normal so I had a quick scan.

"Unfortunately we discovered that the original cruciate graft hadn't actually knitted. I hadn't even got back on the pitch or anything."

It was a dreadful blow, not just to Earley personally, but to Kildare, who were forced to move their best scorer, Johnny Doyle, out to midfield to compensate for the big man's extended absence.

"I had the second operation in June and I'm four months into the rehab now," Earley said. "It's tough and it is a pretty lonely road -- at this stage, it's about an awful lot of bike work. But it feels good, stronger than it did the last time, actually, and I hope to get back running on it again in another month or two. I have to be realistic.

"I'm not a young lad anymore, but if everything continues to go well, I'd hope to come back in time for the late stages of the National League."

Earley and his Kildare team-mates will be at Naas racecourse tomorrow to meet and greet fans as part of a Club Kildare team fundraiser.

The players will be looking forward to seeing Julie Davis, their conditioning coach, being pushed to her own limits this time as she and former Kildare players Sos Dowling and Eddie McCormack are among the 20 amateurs who have signed up to ride in the charity race at 5.30.

And Earley is already itching for the return of next year's National League, especially if Kildare's opening game against Tyrone is played as part of a double-header in Croke Park with a Dublin versus Kerry All-Ireland final rematch.

"If that comes off it would be a great double-header," he said.

"Everyone loves to go to Croke Park and any time we get a chance to play there is a bonus for our players, so I'd say it would attract a great crowd and provide a great start to the national league."

?Tickets for tomorrow's Club Kildare race day may be obtained through Pat Mangan (087-2411389) or any players on the Kildare senior panel. Tickets €15 each.

- Cliona Foley

Irish Independent
Back to top Go down
learmus
Intermediate
Intermediate
learmus

Dermot Earley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dermot Earley   Dermot Earley Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 9:14 pm

He's seems to be very realistic about his situation. No doubt he'll give it everything to try and get back though, typical of the man!
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

Dermot Earley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dermot Earley   Dermot Earley Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 10:01 pm

I feared seeing this thread the great man may have had another set back.

It would be fantastic to see him in the white again next Summer.
Back to top Go down
Come on the Boys in Blue
All-Star
All-Star
Come on the Boys in Blue

Dermot Earley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dermot Earley   Dermot Earley Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 8:26 am

That s good news , would be a pleasure to see this "gent" resume his IC career
Back to top Go down
le hit in
Intermediate
Intermediate

Dermot Earley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dermot Earley   Dermot Earley Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 9:56 am

I see he's in South Africa this week with Joe Canning as a GPA ambassador. No beh her man!!! Must be taking a break from the rehab. Can't wait to see him in all white again. H' ON
Back to top Go down
browners84
Junior A
Junior A

Dermot Earley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dermot Earley   Dermot Earley Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 10:15 am

sarsfields be a serious side when dermot gets back what a legend
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

Dermot Earley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dermot Earley   Dermot Earley Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 6:18 am

Dermot Earley 586205
Back to top Go down
racer
Junior C
Junior C

Dermot Earley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dermot Earley   Dermot Earley Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 6:20 am

Good to see the big man back on the pitch....not so sure about the attire though!!
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

Dermot Earley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dermot Earley   Dermot Earley Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 6:40 am

I dreaded looking in here for fear of bad news, but that's great to see.
Back to top Go down
jj
All-Star
All-Star
jj

Dermot Earley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dermot Earley   Dermot Earley Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 6:42 am

Sh*t myself when I saw this thread at top of forum I thought the worst. Phew ..............
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

Dermot Earley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dermot Earley   Dermot Earley Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 7:02 am

The Caption ( too small in kickingking post for my old eyes)

15 January 2012; Dermot Earley, Kildare, during some light training before the game. Bord na Mona O'Byrne Cup, Quarter-Final, Kildare v Offaly, St Conleth's Park, Newbridge, Co. Kildare. Picture credit: D‡ire Brennan /

Now thats a sight for Kildare eyes !!!!!!
Back to top Go down

Dermot Earley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dermot Earley   Dermot Earley Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 7:21 am

The man could warm up wearing a skirt and a Laois/Meath/Dublin Jersey for all I care, it was great to see him back on the pitch doing a bit today and should give everyone involved with the panel a huge lift.
Back to top Go down
Come on the Boys in Blue
All-Star
All-Star
Come on the Boys in Blue

Dermot Earley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dermot Earley   Dermot Earley Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 9:20 am

kickingking wrote:
Dermot Earley 586205

For a minute there I thought it was another Snipe at Michael Daryl Mc Cauly , pppppphhhfffffff you'll never have the gall to drop a snide remark again after this picture , at least he is not wearing a "snoot" or is he ???? Laughing Laughing

Get to see Dermot back again on the field , I wish him the best of luck with his continued recovery for the future Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
GaaHead
Senior
Senior
GaaHead

Dermot Earley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dermot Earley   Dermot Earley Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 11:04 am

Considering the legend that he is and the effort he is putting in, Dermot Earley could wear what he wanted kicking the ball around today... This was one of his first times in his recovery to put in time kicking a ball around & it has created a great buzz within the panel.
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

Dermot Earley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dermot Earley   Dermot Earley Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 11:20 am

It's called a snood Vodafone
Back to top Go down
GaaHead
Senior
Senior
GaaHead

Dermot Earley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dermot Earley   Dermot Earley Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 12:36 pm

Hopes are high that both Dermot & Hughie will be in physical contact training in the next 6 weeks...
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

Dermot Earley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dermot Earley   Dermot Earley Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 4:47 pm

Dermot & Hughie back playing in mid march is target
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dermot Earley Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dermot Earley   Dermot Earley Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dermot Earley
Page 1 of 1