Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Donegal Tactics!!

Go down 
+9
Ogie
Sam1928
tomcruise
Taibi
kelf
Rex
townend
Big Full Back
walsheman
13 posters
AuthorMessage
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

Donegal Tactics!! Empty
PostSubject: Donegal Tactics!!   Donegal Tactics!! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2011 9:35 am

madness going on up there a min with cassidy.....just goes to show u how right carew,o'rourke and mcGeeney were in expressing there anger towards donegals tactics against kildare and how much of a hypocrite jim mcGuinness was after by denying it!!!
at least they will be more watched next year and they will be shown up for this disgraceful tactic with thick refs couldnt see!!
what does everyone else think about it and how there all star defender spoke out dispite being told not to!!!??wud it leave devides in kildare if mick foley did the same when geezer asked him not to??
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star
Big Full Back

Donegal Tactics!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Donegal Tactics!!   Donegal Tactics!! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2011 9:44 am

Heard he said something about JD in his book????

Doesn't seem to have much between the ears if you ask me......
Back to top Go down
townend
Intermediate
Intermediate

Donegal Tactics!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Donegal Tactics!!   Donegal Tactics!! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2011 10:10 am

don't know they won league 2 and the ulster title a kick of a ball away from the all ireland final
thats not a bad years work its a results game not how fancy you play it.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

Donegal Tactics!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Donegal Tactics!!   Donegal Tactics!! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2011 10:26 am

The Country is seeing them for what they are now and it will be a lot more difficult for them next year to carry on the same way. In fact it will be impossible, that's why McGuinness is so pissed off, the cat is out of the bag.

Reading bits during the week and what Cassidy said about trying to get the Dublin player sent off as a tactic it's clear to my anyway that J.D was targeted at the throw in to remove him as a force in the game.

Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

Donegal Tactics!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Donegal Tactics!!   Donegal Tactics!! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2011 11:03 am

Rex wrote:
The Country is seeing them for what they are now and it will be a lot more difficult for them next year to carry on the same way. In fact it will be impossible, that's why McGuinness is so pissed off, the cat is out of the bag.

Reading bits during the week and what Cassidy said about trying to get the Dublin player sent off as a tactic it's clear to my anyway that J.D was targeted at the throw in to remove him as a force in the game.

and when carew came out in the papers for sayin this after the game....he got in bit shit with croke park,mcguinness laughed off such suggestions aswell........they will be ear-marked next year and hopefully they do absoluately nothing,but i dont think cassidy is finished with them just yet?!?!
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

Donegal Tactics!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Donegal Tactics!!   Donegal Tactics!! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2011 11:39 am

What struck me was when Cassidy said it was Maxi Curran who had the bit on his lap-top.

Maxi was Manager of Donegal Ladies in 2003 when they used similar tactics.

I have no sympathy for Cassidy, McGuinness, Curran or Donegal.

They had foul and abusive tactics and the cat is now out of the bag.
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

Donegal Tactics!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Donegal Tactics!!   Donegal Tactics!! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2011 2:58 pm

Was reading the Star today and Cassidy admitted John Doyle was targeted deliberately, both physically and verbally. He quoted some of his teammates verbals, one was "mcgeeney has no faith in you" because O'Gara was brought in to help him with the frees and a few more unrepeatable quotes.

Interesting book i'd say, Ryan McMenemin also said he was called a British bastard by a Laois player and the Laois players also berated Michael Murphy for missing a penalty in the U21 final a few weeks previous.
Back to top Go down
tomcruise
All-Star
All-Star

Donegal Tactics!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Donegal Tactics!!   Donegal Tactics!! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2011 8:30 pm

Cassidy should be ashamed of himself and should never be allowed play for Donegal again. He is a traitor in every way to his manager and his teammates. Never mind the confidentiality agreement , he has lost the trust of all.

Every county has tactics and plans to upset other teams. Jaysus the Geezer is no angel and what about his neighbours in Tyrone or our neighbours who won the AI this year.. But you simply do not blab it to everyone out there. IMO , JD should not have been in the middle of the field for the throw in anyway. He should have been protected at that stage.

I would imagine that Cassidy felt like a total gobshite when he read the article Sad
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

Donegal Tactics!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Donegal Tactics!!   Donegal Tactics!! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2011 8:31 pm

There are a couple of Kildare players who sailed close to the wind with the verbals as well so lets not hang the donegal players too much.

Its a nasty part of the game but its there and you have to deal with it. It wasnt long ago when most of us said Kildare teams were too nice and we need to toughen up and get a bit nasty.

Cassidy has shot himself in the foot there and thats the danger of being so open when you are still playing the game. YOu have to really watch what you say.

If we had won division 2 and leinster Im sure we'd be treating someone like Cassidy as a hero apart from blabbing about confidential team matters, thats just dumb..

Dont get me wrong Donegal played the worst brand of football I've ever seen in my life and I dont like the deliberate targeting of opposition players but Kerry and Dublin and Cork etc are able to overcome that stuff and thats what we need to do as well.
Back to top Go down
townend
Intermediate
Intermediate

Donegal Tactics!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Donegal Tactics!!   Donegal Tactics!! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2011 8:34 pm

Laois have history for that, the best laugh i ever got was driving through laois it must have
been around the time they won or were in the leinster finals in the early 2000's.

there was this big house on the portlaoise road with the whole roof cover with Laois the home
of football yet they never won sam i had a laugh and said Micko had them gone mad.

as for the laois player who called McMenemin a British Bastard he won't go up to Tyrone and say
that anyway the gobshit isn't his own county call the Queens county.
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

Donegal Tactics!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Donegal Tactics!!   Donegal Tactics!! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 11, 2011 11:00 pm

townend wrote:

as for the laois player who called McMenemin a British Bastard he won't go up to Tyrone and say
that anyway the gobshit isn't his own county call the Queens county.

Im sure he wont venture up there but maybe he could tweet it.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

Donegal Tactics!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Donegal Tactics!!   Donegal Tactics!! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 2:24 am

Verbals are part of it and are nothing new. Anyone who doesn't realise that is naive beyond belief. They're around as long as I'm playing anyway, which is more than 30 years. Mothers, daughters, girlfriends, the fact lads have gotten women pregnant, that they'd robbed cars, sexuality, court cases etc. etc. I find it surprising that any of this would have any effect on a player but there are those that can't take it. Can't imagine JD would have been too bothered, but the physical stuff probably took its toll alright.

Again, not the first time he was subjected to that.

Obviously, Kildare players indulge in verbals, and opposition players have been targeted, mentally and physically.

Here's an interpretation of the Donegal situation

http://www.daraghoconchuir.ie/blog.php?id=1498
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

Donegal Tactics!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Donegal Tactics!!   Donegal Tactics!! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 3:06 am

Verbals have been going on for years. I think at this stage the kildare players can handle that. As for JD against Donegal, its not their fault. You go out to stop the best players and the referee gave him no protection. Donegal only did what they were allowed to do. JD have been getting toough treatment for years.
Back to top Go down
lastline
Intercounty
Intercounty
lastline

Donegal Tactics!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Donegal Tactics!!   Donegal Tactics!! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 5:11 am

Believe it or not and I'll prob get bombarded for saying this but I think verbals is why we didn't win a leinster this year. Mc was caught by ref giving Alan brogan some advice after brogan shot badly wide in 2nd half. Ref still had it in his head when he looked in at last min and player of the year standing wit his arms out .(not touched mind you) and Mc coming behind him. 1st impressions and all that. Not Mc's fault but should av bein more clever than to do it beside ref. Wait 10 secs and play gone far end and then say yer piece
Back to top Go down
naked-lilly
Senior
Senior
naked-lilly

Donegal Tactics!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Donegal Tactics!!   Donegal Tactics!! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 7:14 am

didn't st bernard go down with a knock in the first minute of there game v dublin too very same as jd imagine the fuss if he hadnt been able to continue!
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

Donegal Tactics!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Donegal Tactics!!   Donegal Tactics!! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 10:03 am

From the Forum on Hogan Stand Donegal

Some one else above asked for clarification of how Donegal's approach in 2011 is widely perceived as cheating.

Here goes;

Dangerously aggressive play (Cassidy admitted players were encouraged to act like "Animals" on the field)
Targeting of Key Individuals for verbal abuse (Admitted by Cassidy in relation to Tyrone free-taker Peter Harte)
Feigning Injury to get Opponents Sent off (see above)
Feigning Injury to break up play (If opposing team was dominating)
Feigning Injury to waste time (When narrowly ahead in tediously low scoring games)

and most importantly, dragging/fouling of opposing players off the ball to kill any chance of open play developing

I trust all the journo's who had a go at McGeeney/Carew for pointing this out last August wont eat any humble pie nos but we should not let the powers that be forget this next summer.

When Maxi Curran as Manager of Donegal Ladies was using the "Feigning injury to stop play" the rules were changes so anybody any ideas on what GAA rules might be tighened up to sort out these tactics do not say anything on any forum, just do it at your club AGM .

The targeting ( & taking out players ie JD) are the most despicable
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star
Big Full Back

Donegal Tactics!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Donegal Tactics!!   Donegal Tactics!! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2011 10:45 am

Unfortunately today it's win at all cost... Pretty Ugly whatever way you like. We all live to win the All Ireland and if it's our style or Donegal's style well the records only show the winners...

Go back to the Ninties, Kildare was loved for playing open football under Micko but when we came up against Dublin, any player would tell you, you'd know that you'd been in a match. Couple of times we got on top and their specials like Keith Barr would start a dust up and kill any momentum. the players always were verbally targeted and to be honest, 99% of it was unprintable.

And it wasn't only Dublin. Meath 97 I think, All Ireland against Mayo and look when they were getting on top.... Bring on the bust up.... Next thing Liam McHale is off and Mayo are shot down there and then....

Fast forward to early 2000 and the emergence of the Northern teams, Tyrone and Armagh and it wasn't fun to watch. More psyschology came into the game but the mentality was win at all cost... It was pure spoiling not allowing their opponents to have possession and if they did... "You've to get by 15 of us."

This is an unfortunate thing but if that's how Donegal or any other team want to employ theses tactic, it's up to us to beat them with our own tactics... I hate watching their style but if it's effective and the results go their way they will never care. Play our own and hopefully that will see us through.
Back to top Go down
Come on the Boys in Blue
All-Star
All-Star
Come on the Boys in Blue

Donegal Tactics!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Donegal Tactics!!   Donegal Tactics!! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 13, 2011 6:10 am

Rex wrote:

Rex like you and many others here I assume been at the game it was clear , The plan was to take out JD and job done , the tackle he receive i would put in the same category as the Tadgh Kennelly tackle in 2009's AI
Back to top Go down
Come on the Boys in Blue
All-Star
All-Star
Come on the Boys in Blue

Donegal Tactics!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Donegal Tactics!!   Donegal Tactics!! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 13, 2011 6:14 am

Taibi wrote:
Was reading the Star today and Cassidy admitted John Doyle was targeted deliberately, both physically and verbally. He quoted some of his teammates verbals, one was "mcgeeney has no faith in you" because O'Gara was brought in to help him with the frees and a few more unrepeatable quotes.

Interesting book i'd say, Ryan McMenemin also said he was called a British bastard by a Laois player and the Laois players also berated Michael Murphy for missing a penalty in the U21 final a few weeks previous.

I was at that U21 final in cavan , and to be fair to michael murphy ,he was poxed it hit the top of the crossbar ,it was a peno to win the final

Last edited by vodafone2011 on Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Come on the Boys in Blue
All-Star
All-Star
Come on the Boys in Blue

Donegal Tactics!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Donegal Tactics!!   Donegal Tactics!! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 13, 2011 6:24 am

lastline wrote:
Believe it or not and I'll prob get bombarded for saying this but I think verbals is why we didn't win a leinster this year. Mc was caught by ref giving Alan brogan some advice after brogan shot badly wide in 2nd half. Ref still had it in his head when he looked in at last min and player of the year standing wit his arms out .(not touched mind you) and Mc coming behind him. 1st impressions and all that. Not Mc's fault but should av bein more clever than to do it beside ref. Wait 10 secs and play gone far end and then say yer piece

Last Mc was hanging out of BB like a new winter coat designed by Galvin Klein Laughing , harsh as the free was , yes i would agree some latitude in play for the next 5/10 sec would/could have been given , but the ref is human like us all, he went with his instinct's , rightly or wrongly depending what side of the fence you sit
Back to top Go down
Come on the Boys in Blue
All-Star
All-Star
Come on the Boys in Blue

Donegal Tactics!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Donegal Tactics!!   Donegal Tactics!! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 13, 2011 6:27 am

naked-lilly wrote:
didn't st bernard go down with a knock in the first minute of there game v dublin too very same as jd imagine the fuss if he hadnt been able to continue!

Sterner stuff naked , only kidding , your probably right , but remember, we had a strong bench this year so anything could have transpired
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Donegal Tactics!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Donegal Tactics!!   Donegal Tactics!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Donegal Tactics!!
Page 1 of 1