Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

O Byrne cup 2012

Go down 
+68
lilyban
rgb
topcat
racer
KILL BILL
all_star
Could'nt Trap Cement
parcel
hawker
cilldara07
SeamusMurphy
TommyKeegan
Bān go Lēir
analysis
naked-lilly
browners84
browser
Stonecold
Morrissey
behind the lines
GaaHead
townend
SquareBall
ElGuerrouj
BelieveToAchieve
Lily8
nuxer
Come on the Boys in Blue
Son of Sarsfields
kelf
Breaking Balll
Athyman
tomcruise
walsheman
midfieldmaestro
Frankel
lilywhites on tour
lilysavage
oldspice
Fear An Geata
stanley
bag of white
lastline
flourman
steviegenius
lomond
jj
Jimmy winning matches
if_in_doubt
lilly-exile
Ogie
Ohtoohtobe
Derfil
carburyman
peile
Taibi
kickingking
le hit in
Rex
carra2323
bob12
overthebar
Big Full Back
tomoneillandhissisteranne
murof
Lily2016
Gaffer
72 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
jj
All-Star
All-Star
jj

O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 6:33 am

Derfil wrote:
Kids out front after the match and all wearing the All White. The whole estates out kicking around. Great to see and roll on the rest of the year. Good result today. Solid performance throughout with lots of room for improvement. Still short a really top class free taker which is a worry.

Will be solved once our vacancy friend joins up with panel
Back to top Go down
jj
All-Star
All-Star
jj

PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 6:35 am

** cavan friend **
Back to top Go down
bag of white
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 7:09 am

jj wrote:
Derfil wrote:
Kids out front after the match and all wearing the All White. The whole estates out kicking around. Great to see and roll on the rest of the year. Good result today. Solid performance throughout with lots of room for improvement. Still short a really top class free taker which is a worry.

Will be solved once our vacancy friend joins up with panel

jj wrote:
** cavan friend **

I thought you were making reference to that vacant house in Straffan...
Back to top Go down
Lily8
All-Star
All-Star
Lily8

PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 8:32 am

Great performance by the lads today. I know it's early in the year and both sides were missing key players but it's still great to get a win over Dublin.

I thought we did very well in the backs. One of the best performances I've seen from Flanagan, thought he was great. Super save from Connolly in the second half too.

Looking forward to the final next week now.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 8:41 am

Good performance, I wouldn't say great. Were short-priced favourites in my eyes to win this game given the relative strength of both teams. Kildare's superior strength and fitness showed but obviously there will be far more Kildare of the Kildare players that saw action today in the panel come the summer than Dublin players. Six was the very least we could have won by and that's a worry for me. It should have been ten or twelve. As Geezer said a few weeks ago, if they were more clinical, he wouldn't ever have had to be giving out about scandalous refereeing decisions.
This was much more important for Kildare and it showed, although Dublin were doing their damndest in the second half and lost their discipline. Kildare played some great football, they just need to be more clinical. Peter Kelly, Ollie Lyons, Tommy O'Neill, Darryl Flynn, Ronan Sweeney, Alan Smith in the first half and Tomás O'Connor were all very good.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 8:47 am

wouldn't agree at all that O'Flaherty's red was harsh; I'd call it idiotic. Two clear yellow cards
Back to top Go down
lilywhites on tour
All-Star
All-Star
lilywhites on tour

PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 8:51 am

Well done lads! Good performance, some nice scores taken, athough we could have won by more, had we not missed a few simple chances, we must get into the habbit of putting them easy scores over, or it may prove costly if we are still missing them further down the road. Backs were unbreakeable, some fine saves made, and blocks by peter , ciaran, shane conolly has safe hands. Roli did well and daryll , dominating breaking ball for periods of the game, tommy moolick played well, tommy o neill solid defender. Smithy hit a few nice scores, and tomas o connor did well. The subs that came in were effective aswell. All in all a good day out at the office, but it is early in the year, and still a fair bit of work to do. keep it up lads, agus Cill Dara Abú!!
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 9:54 am

Pleasing to get the result but plenty to work on. Dublin were very weak and a few of their more established names had clearly enjoyed the few months after the All-Ireland.

Backs and goalkeeper were very solid. Great to have Kelly back. Magnificent performance from him today. Fitzpatrick looks like a good alternative to Foley. Ollie Lyons definitely another option possibly for the half-back line. Flanagan was all over the field and Tommy O'Neill finally looks like the player he promised to be as an u21. Eoghan O'Flaherty was very foolish - can have no complaints.

Good shift in midfield from both Flynner and Roli. Dominated McConnell and McAuley/Fennell for most of the game. Forwards were average. O'Connor showed very well and had the beating of Murray. Would like to see him chipping in with a few more scores but he's never really going to be that type of free scoring forward. Rest of the forwards blew hot and cold but the windy conditions have to be taken into account. Thought Dowling and Kelly both did alright when they came on and probably deserve a start next weekend. Hopefully JD will improve things when he returns for the league.

Interesting to see if the Connolly/Fitzpatrick incident is looked at. Reckless out of Connolly to say the least. Didn't see it myself live but knew from Jimmers' reaction that it must have been bad. Certainly looked it when I saw the replay later on on the telly.
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 10:12 am

What's the story with Emmet Bolton? Seen him in the stand today watching the match.
Back to top Go down
carburyman
All-Star
All-Star
carburyman

PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 10:23 am

Agree rex,should have got the line.Flano is playing out of his skin.This time last year there was people on here saying that he wasnt up too it,now look.Roli again great display
Back to top Go down
carburyman
All-Star
All-Star
carburyman

PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 10:27 am

Bolton just been rested//

Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 10:37 am

Ogie wrote:
wouldn't agree at all that O'Flaherty's red was harsh; I'd call it idiotic. Two clear yellow cards
thought the same,very lazy tackles
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star
Big Full Back

PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 10:41 am

carburyman wrote:
Roli again great display

Think the broken arm has done him the world of good... He's been there year on year and hasn't got a break from football. He's deserved his rest and day in the sun...
Back to top Go down
Fear An Geata
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 10:49 am

Happy enough with the win today. Even when we went down to 14 I still felt we'd win. We played much better than the Dubs but weren't clinical enough in front of goals, both from frees and from play. However, although I think it was important for us to have beaten Dublin from a psychological viewpoint, I wouldn't read too much into it. They have not been back in harness as long as we have and didn't have quite as strong a team out.

On players that impressed me today, I thought Brian Flanagan was excellent in the first half. Ollie Lyons looked impressive throughout and Daryl and Roli had big games in the middle. Tomás Connor was a handful every time the ball came in. Although Peter Kelly was good too I wouldn't have given him the MOTM award. I felt Paddy Andrews caused him a few problems in the first half. I was surprised Dublin took him off as he was one of their better players. Ciaran Fitzpatrick was solid as well and apart from one rash clearance in the first half Shane Connolly was superb.

Big crowd there today too. 6,086 ha ha. Pity we can't play the Dubs in Newbridge a few more times and we might get out of the financial mess we're in. Hopefully everyone that was there today will turn up again next week for the DCU game.

Well done lads. Keep it going.

Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 11:09 am

Big Full Back wrote:
carburyman wrote:
Roli again great display

Think the broken arm has done him the world of good... He's been there year on year and hasn't got a break from football. He's deserved his rest and day in the sun...

I was thinking the exact same. Although in circumstances I'm sure he he did not want, the break from football has given Roli a new lease of life. He was again outstanding today, driving forward, bursting tackles and doing a lot of donkey work.

On the sendings off , both were right. Eoghan will probably know himself it was the correct decision. Maybe trying a little to hard.

Still think the Ref had a dodgy day at the office.
Back to top Go down
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 12:36 pm

The Dubs in The Barracks!!! It dosent happen that often.I remember them playing Carlow in the championship 1955, i was only a kid, selling programmes for the school. They bet the heads of one another up and down the drunken streets before and after the game. Snitchie Ferguson, Heffo, Norman Allen, all the stars were on that day. They won easily, but were eventually beaten by Wexford in Semi final in 1956. Cant remember who won championship in 1955
And we went on to beat The Yellow Bellies in the Leinster final of 1956. The reason being, Dublin won the League in 1955 and the perk was , a trip to USA by turbo prop to play a few exhibition games.Threequarters of the squad came home by similiar transport a week before the Wexford game, so you can guess the result.
Our lads were massive today
Well done Mc Geeney, you have brought us to strange territory. Hope i can stay standing for the rest of season!!!
This Chilean Merlot and chocolate biscuits nearly have me bet
Still it was good to see some auld stagers there today: Nick Lindy, Mick Masterson and I am sure there were others. I bet Ned Tracey was there, and Bah Dowling, what about Larry Mc Cormack? Used to see him regularly in St Conleths
Our lads are playing out of their skins at the moment. Not the sort of thing Kerry would do.so early in the season. Anyway, Sucky O'Rourke, you dont have to be telling me about playing Leix in Marlborough anymore.
What a country, everyone is complaining, but ,sure I have the free travel, and meslf and a few other auld fogies will head to Croker by train for start of League so fuck the begrudgers
Even if we never win the All Ireland in the next few years, we have had some great outings recently
Anyway, when you die, its lights out ,dont be thinking there is an afterlife
Back to top Go down
jj
All-Star
All-Star
jj

PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 8:09 pm

And on that note ......
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 9:34 pm

No mention of the Connolly/Fitzpatrick incident in any of the online newspaper reports as far as I can see.
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 9:56 pm

kickingking wrote:
No mention of the Connolly/Fitzpatrick incident in any of the online newspaper reports as far as I can see.

Of course not / cowardly tramp gets away with murder - sent off in AI Semi Final and yet gets it over turned to play in the final.
As long as he faces no repercussions for his actions he will continue with his thuggery.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 10:07 pm

I for one hope Dublin keep picking Connolly - I know he was class against Tyrone but I have never seen him produce in tight, hard-hitting games, and he is so easy to wind up and highly likely to get sent off. They should go with Paddy Andrews or Mossy Quinn instead, I'd say if Connolly wasn't from the same club as Gilroy he mightn't be indulged so much.
Very nasty knee on Fitzpatrick, particularly considering this was basically a challenge match
Back to top Go down
analysis
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 10:27 pm

Just hearing that DCU are looking at pulling out of the final next week, due to their Sigerson fixture the following week,

would be a pity for Kildare given our good form to date, anyone know anything on this?
Back to top Go down
tomcruise
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 10:30 pm

Stood on the Hill behind the goals at the town end yesterday. In all my time going to matches , I have never heard anything like some of the comments coming from some of the Dubs supporters. It was truly disgraceful. Also , somebody kept blowing a whistle which was confusing everybody.

Anyway , back to the match and I left Newbridge yesteday very confident that we will take Dublin if we get them in the Summer. I know it was just an O'Byrne cup game in January but we were missing as many players as Dublin were. You just sense that this is the year that Kildare must win silverware.
Back to top Go down
bob12
All-Star
All-Star
bob12

PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 10:55 pm

Wasnt ther yesterday was in UK fr the weekend was getting on the plane just about 10 mins into game - gt the result just as we landed i let a big yelp scraed the shit out of some lady 2 rows up the wife is still giving out to me - hopefully we can win a leinster or even better this year
Back to top Go down
Bān go Lēir
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 10:59 pm

tomcruise wrote:
Stood on the Hill behind the goals at the town end yesterday. In all my time going to matches , I have never heard anything like some of the comments coming from some of the Dubs supporters. It was truly disgraceful. Also , somebody kept blowing a whistle which was confusing everybody.

Anyway , back to the match and I left Newbridge yesteday very confident that we will take Dublin if we get them in the Summer. I know it was just an O'Byrne cup game in January but we were missing as many players as Dublin were. You just sense that this is the year that Kildare must win silverware.

Yeah and the gobshites that kept talking and laughing through the minutes silence, that does my head in.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 11:04 pm

analysis wrote:
Just hearing that DCU are looking at pulling out of the final next week, due to their Sigerson fixture the following week,

would be a pity for Kildare given our good form to date, anyone know anything on this?

If they can't fulfill their fixtures, they shouldn't be in the tournament - simple as.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: O Byrne cup 2012   O Byrne cup 2012 - Page 9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

O Byrne cup 2012
Page 9 of 15Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next