Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster

Go down 
+27
Stonecold
if_in_doubt
Ogie
Come on the Boys in Blue
kickingking
Loads of Pints
Botch
Jimmy winning matches
ChopperDalton
Sam1928
TommyKeegan
kildaregaa365
Taibi
Bad News Baba
tomcruise
kelf
SeamusMurphy
walsheman
peile
jim
Fear An Geata
steviegenius
losthope
bag of white
KILL BILL
flourman
SamMaguire
31 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
SamMaguire
Senior
Senior

Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster Empty
PostSubject: Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster   Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 1:09 pm

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/kildare-players-unavailable-for-gilroys-leinster-plans-29064711.html

Colm Keys – 12 February 2013

Kildare will not be represented on the Leinster football team for Sunday's inter-provincial semi-final against Connacht in Longford's Pearse Park.

It is understood that the Division 1 table-toppers, fresh from league wins over Donegal and Cork, have not been able to supply the players manager Pat Gilroy had sought in recent weeks.

For various reasons, the players requested by the Leinster management were 'unavailable', so Gilroy and his co-selectors, last year's Leinster manager Sean Boylan and Mickey Whelan, have had to press on without any Kildare input.

Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster   Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 1:33 pm

good enough - 'meaningless rubbish of a game
Back to top Go down
SamMaguire
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster   Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 2:16 pm

I agree. I know there's great history to the Railway Cup but in this day and age it could be done away with.
Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster   Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 2:39 pm

Agreed, wouldn't want to risk injury or burn-out because of that.
Back to top Go down
bag of white
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster   Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 4:31 pm

The Railway cup should be let die. It's clear there's little interest in it anymore. The GAA have been trying their best to revive it in recent years but they would be better off focusing on more important competitions imo.
Back to top Go down
losthope
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster   Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 4:41 pm

That's disappointing to hear, it matters not peoples opinion of the Railway cup, the fact of the matter is it is a representative competition that our county voted to retain a few years back and a lot of great Kildare players have accepted the honour of playing on this team down through the years. As for the risk of injury or burn-out I would say there is a bigger risk of that happening at the many weekly training sessions. I can only assume the decision not to take part was down unavailability of the players asked in as stated in the report, anything else would have to be considered a snub and I for one don't not believe we have reason to be that arrogant
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster   Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 4:49 pm

Will the players not be playing with there clubs this weekend as the Aldridge, Keogh cups etc are all starting Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Fear An Geata
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster   Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 5:13 pm

I hope the reasons for the players unavailability are genuine, as to snub the competition would be poor form imo. If every County was to take that view where would that leave us. As ballyboy said we voted to retain this competition so it is deserving of our support.
Back to top Go down
losthope
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster   Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 6:07 pm

Add to that Fear its now aiding Crumlin Children's Hospital which imo is all the more reason it should be supported by us all
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster   Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 8:29 pm

Who was asked to go I wonder? I went to Parnell park last year emmet and mickey started and jd was a sub. Emmet got 10 min Mickey got about 45 min and Jd got less than 5 min.
Give respect get respect my hole... Just saying
Back to top Go down
peile
Intercounty
Intercounty
peile

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster   Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 8:51 am

Ballyboy, by saying we should all support it do you actually mean go to the games ?

I support Crumlin children's hospital anytime I'm asked and I'd gladly pay them the entrance price of a ticket rather than go to a game.

Would be interesting to poll just how many posters have actually 'attended' a railway cup game ?
Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster   Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 11:55 am

I've never, and never will
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster   Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 12:00 pm

Whats the reason for our Lads not being available ??,
If all Counties took that decision then these Games would be no longer, which IMO would be a shame.
Back to top Go down
bag of white
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster   Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 12:01 pm

peile wrote:
Ballyboy, by saying we should all support it do you actually mean go to the games ?

I support Crumlin children's hospital anytime I'm asked and I'd gladly pay them the entrance price of a ticket rather than go to a game.

Would be interesting to poll just how many posters have actually 'attended' a railway cup game ?

This is the thing, I've been to a lot of gaa matches over the years but I've never been to a Railway cup game and I'd have very little interest in going even if there were Kildare lads involved.
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster   Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 3:55 pm

Was at Railway Cup games ( about 10) between 57 & 70, not since.

Was often the first club game or training & later it became "family time".

After 6 games in a row the lads need a day off.

Ideal opportunity for lads from counties who were not so busy.

Presume Dubs will have 5 or 6 & almost as many from the Leinster runners-up !!!
Back to top Go down
tomcruise
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster   Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 4:16 pm

The Kildare players should be available to the Leinster team and whoever says otherwise are wrong. It should be an honour to play for your province. I hope that there is a genuine reason for them not being available and if not , it is very disappointing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster   Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 4:38 pm

tomcruise wrote:
The Kildare players should be available to the Leinster team and whoever says otherwise are wrong. It should be an honour to play for your province. I hope that there is a genuine reason for them not being available and if not , it is very disappointing.

Whoever says otherwise are not wrong Tom. Its their opinion. There is no right or wrong here.

I would be of the opinion that it is absolutely no benefit for lads to be part of the Leinster team.

Firstly the timing of it is completely ridiculous. At the moment The National Football League, Sigerson Cup, u21 and minor football is running at the same time. If you have lads invovled with Sigerson, Lads involved with the u21 panel and lads on the Leinster Railway cup team, where does that leave the rest of the panel that want and need 3 weeks competitive training before we play Kerry?

We've had a fantastic start to the League, lets not shoot ourselves in the foot by picking up needless injuries with the Leinster team or our own panel being at a loss.

Tom why don;t you get down of your soap box and tell us why the players should be honoured to play with Leinster in a meaningless game in front of a few hundred people?

They'd be far better being released to their clubs in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Bad News Baba
All-Star
All-Star
Bad News Baba

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster   Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 4:45 pm

I have as much interest in this dead format as I do in listening to the westlife back catalogue.
It should be consigned to the history books.
Anyway from what I heard only three were called up, one of those has a knock, and the other two have wedding duties. You might be able to sleep now tomcruise.
Nice if the media to report it as Kildare make players unavailable when it was nothing like that.

I should add that one if the was John Doyle, now the last thing the great man needs is a meaningless game in horrible conditions at his stage if football.
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster   Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 6:49 pm

Only for this thread I'd guess that I and many people on here wouldn't have known it was even taking place this weekend.

I'd actually like to see the Compromise Rules Series scrapped and instead market The Railway Cup a lot more.

Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster   Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 11:50 pm

Great sign of intent and focus that our lads are "unavailable". Dead competition - glad the lads are saving themselves for Kildare's season.
Back to top Go down
tomcruise
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster   Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 10:03 am

You make your point well and there seems to be genuine reasons for the lads not playing. My belief however is that you should be encouraging and promoting the competition eg look at the respect of the Ulster players for it.

ps I slept well last night. I was in my Club most of the night raising money to pay the Hawkfield Levy which was to cease a couple of years ago but has been extended for the next how many years. Strange.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster   Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 2:06 pm

While there are pros and cons I would agree with Tom. I would hate to see these Matches dropped, and IMO it should be an honour to represent your province.. Look at the Rugby Boys ( i know they get paid, and its part of the HCup ),
I think the powers that be should try harder to enhance the importance of representing your Province and raise the Profile of these Matches.. Remember the Days when it was an Honour and the Crowds would flock to see them.. What went wrong??
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster   Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 2:19 pm

Surely this says more about the GAA, their treatment of the Railway Cups over 30 years and the competition itself than it does about the Kildare players. Guys play when there's something to play for.
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster   Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 2:46 pm

I dont see the point in it anymore. Its not needed. The club championships and all-irelands are much more interesting. Nobody is going to bust a gut for an Inter-pro at the start of the season.

Kill it off instead of wasting time on it every year.
Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster   Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 3:49 pm

Times change, the merits and value of different trophies change, in truth the O'Byrne cup probably has more significance now than the Railway Cup, sport continually evolves, look at the growth in Ladies football, Rounders and Handball were once almost on a par with the others, look at similar situations even outside of GAA, the F.A. Cup was massive once, now most clubs consider it a distraction, you cant force people to like this, it's like the compromise games, it no longer relevant, and how many of the players playing in it will actually giving it 100% intensity?.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster   Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kildare Players Unavailable for Gilroys Leinster
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next