Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?

Go down 
+20
Admin
peile
Sam1928
centreback
shoutitout
flourman
flyonthewall
Stonecold
Loads of Pints
ChillDara
Ogie
white hope
kickingking
MD
abl
Rex
kildarecat
Jimmy winning matches
walsheman
gibbs
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
gibbs
Junior C
Junior C

Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? Empty
PostSubject: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 3:53 am

Shorty

Mac
Mcgrillen
Kelly
Flano
Leper
Bolton

Early
Fylnn

Morgan
Sweeny
Kavanagh
O'neill
Doyle
O'connor
Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

PostSubject: Re: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 4:27 am

think smith could get the nod ahead of o'connor
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 7:13 am

just back from training in newbridge flood was not there , geezer was have a talk to smith on his own during training . they are leaving for derry tomarrow around lunch . dermot did train . jimmers and JD where full of running. o rourke was man charge tonight
Back to top Go down
kildarecat
All-Star
All-Star
kildarecat

PostSubject: Re: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 7:21 am

One thing I'll predict is that Geezer is entirely predictable and I predict that it will be as you were the starting 15 against Leitrim!.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 8:21 am

KC reading some of your posts there is a distinct hostility towards Geezer. Then I read your post on Kevin O'Neill and I think I get the picture. Would I be right.
Back to top Go down
kildarecat
All-Star
All-Star
kildarecat

PostSubject: Re: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 8:34 am

You might say JME I'm not in awe of him like some, who think he's the second coming of Jesus Christ, his record is respectable rather than spectacular, some of his decision making or more to the point lack of decision making is questionable and I'm not going to go into all the Paul Grimley stuff as its been done to death, but lets just say the jury is still well and truly out as far as I'm concerned!.
Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

PostSubject: Re: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 8:43 am

no1 said he was the second coming of jesus,people said he is a damm good manager,and thats what he is!!!
he is our manager and there no point slating him or putting him down cause he didnt lick moorefields hole
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 8:53 am

it now derry v moorefield on saturdary in celtic park at 3pm
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 8:54 am

Ooh Kc taking a bashing here.
Back to top Go down
kildarecat
All-Star
All-Star
kildarecat

PostSubject: Re: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 9:01 am

Just giving an honest assessment of the guy in my eyes, everyones entitled to theirs if we all agreed we would have a forum of zombies!
Back to top Go down
abl
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 9:16 am

fone wrote:
just back from training in newbridge flood was not there , geezer was have a talk to smith on his own during training . they are leaving for derry tomarrow around lunch . dermot did train . jimmers and JD where full of running. o rourke was man charge tonight

ORourke taking alot more responsability since we got beat by Louth.Like doing all the running during the games.At least that means that Carew is doing what he does best now,giving interviews to the papers.Oh hang on ORourke is doing that as well bounce
Back to top Go down
MD
All-Star
All-Star
MD

PostSubject: Re: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 9:51 am

Back to the topic

Id go for:

Shorty
Mcgrillen
Kelly
Mac
Bolton
Flano
M O Flats

Daryl
Dermot

Kavanagh
Paudie
Sweeney
JD
Smyth
Leper
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 9:58 am

Only possible change I could see McGeeney making is Smith in for Eoghan O'Flaherty.

If Smith isn't deemed fit enough to start it'll be same again. Leper will have 15 on his back but will play as a sweeper as he's done to great effect since the first Antrim game.

Derry struggled with the high-ball last weekend (hence Lockhart's return) so if Dermot isn't moving that freely out the field it could be profitable to move him into the edge of the square like we did up in Belfast and switch Roli to midfield. Tomás O'Connor is another possible option for that role but I'd anticipate McGeeney will hold him in reserve once again.

I think if we play like we did in the second half in Belfast from the start then we'll win this game. Derry are no great shakes anymore but they will be tough in their own backyard. Kildare need to put in a consistent 70 minutes which they've failed to do in all four championship games so far. I'm hopeful they can do it on Saturday.
Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

PostSubject: Re: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 11:16 am

Kildare unchanged from leitrim game it was announced tonight!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
white hope
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 5:59 pm

Unchanged starting 15, but will they be in the same positions ????
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 8:00 pm

abl wrote:
fone wrote:

ORourke taking alot more responsability since we got beat by Louth.Like doing all the running during the games.At least that means that Carew is doing what he does best now,giving interviews to the papers.Oh hang on ORourke is doing that as well bounce

If you're going to make statements like that, please try and be informed. For a start, running around the field is just passing on the information that management wants out on the field - it's not like he takes it upon himself to just go out with some nugget that changes the game.

The last two or three games, Carew has been in the stand for the first 10-15 minutes of each half, to view how the game is going from a different perspective. He then goes back down on the line and changes are made if required.

If you're a regular at training, you'll see that all three have roles there, predominantly O'Rourke and Carew as Geezer likes to observe.

And the reason O'Rourke and Carew are most visible in the press is simple I'd imagine - how often do you see Geezer in it? And Keys, Moran, O'Brien and McNally have to talk to someone!

Bias/agendas are a dreadful thing for stopping people being reasonable.
Back to top Go down
ChillDara
Junior A
Junior A
ChillDara

PostSubject: Re: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 8:51 pm

Kildare (SF v Derry): S McCormack; P Kelly, H McGrillen, A Mac
Lochlainn; M O'Flaherty, E Bolton, B Flanagan; D Flynn, D Earley; J
Kavanagh, P O'Neill, E O'Flaherty; J Doyle, R Sweeney, E Callaghan

Cant say I'm surprised. Chalky,O'Connor and Smith on the bench, all 3 are potential game changers which is what you want from your bench. Roll on Saturday.....
Back to top Go down
Loads of Pints
All-Star
All-Star
Loads of Pints

PostSubject: Re: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 9:01 pm

yea i'd tend to agree, i like the way these lads are held in reserve, obv smithy isnt 100% fit yet and it would be some cauldron to throw him into if he wasnt.

hopefully we get as much from earley as possible and readjust after that. it tends to be a very physical battle around the middle with derry who like to pack it as much as possible, this can work to our advantage providing we win primary posession and let it into the space we seem to have in the full forward line.

on another note i think bolton is well suited to kielt, would be worried for someone like flanno on him, pacewise

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 10:36 pm

From RTE

Kildare and Derry have risen from disappointing exits in their provincial championships to reach round three of the qualifiers without too much trouble.

Once again the benefits of the system are evident, the two teams have bounced back in the best way possible by winning games against the so-called weaker counties.

Derry started off with a comfortable victory against Carlow and last week going to Mullingar to see off Weatmeath was far from an easy task.

They've had some trouble in the camp with the departure of Paddy Bradley but it hasn't had too much of an impact.

However, doubt hangs over both sides. These wins often just paper over the cracks and the question this week is which side will come crashing down again?

The difficult conditions in Mullingar made it a real scrap for Derry, maybe they were lucky to get the win with Westmeath missing so many opportunities over the 70 minutes.

Kildare's win over Leitrim was a lot more hard work than it should have been and although the replay win against Antrim was a sign of what the Lilywhites can do, they don't seem destined for great things this year.

John Doyle has found some form but apart from that they've been a bit disappointing.

Derry are returning to Celtic Park for the first time since the loss to Armagh and it should inspire them again the Leinster side.

Mark Lynch and James Kielt kept Damien Cassidy's men ticking over last week.

This encounter will probably not be a classic but expect Derry to show a bit more class and advance.

Verdict: Derry
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 10:37 pm

I'm sure the players know its no longer a 15 man game so no matter who starts or how they line up could change plus if they have a bad day doesn't necessarily mean their chance is gone. I don't think he or they are that fickle.
Back to top Go down
flyonthewall
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 11:22 pm

I'd have to agree with Kildarecat here, the Jury is still very much out on Geezer in my Book. We have failed to beat any team of significant note in the Championship since he has arrived. All we have defeated are teams of mediocrity. Any success (limited as it may be) seems to have been down to Paul Grimley and as for Niall Carew's role nobody really takes him seriously and well that discussion is for another day! I think people are beginning to cop onto geezer augustus!!
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 11:38 pm

flyonthewall wrote:
I think people are beginning to cop onto geezer augustus!!

Care to elaborate as to exactly what people are "copping" on to?

I for one am delighted with the impact the Geezer has made - it is not to long ago that we would be watching the Championship as neutrals at this time of year. I believe we have progressed every year he has been at the helm - we now have a very talented panel of 24 guys for each championship game - and thats excluding Conway and Kelly (who I will not count this year).
As stated in a previous posts we have the likes of Smith, Chalky, O'Connor, Cribben ... who can come in and change a game - not even Micko had that strength and depth (If he had 98 final may well be a happier memory).
We have a reletively young talented squad here with determination and committment - with Geezer in charge these guys will deliver.
... and an other thing that drives me mad is people dribbling on about how Grimley was the brains of the operation over the last two years. That man has trained All-Ireland winning teams and has a wealth of experience behind him, he is in his 50's of course he is more tactically astude than Geezer and his experience has no doubt been missed.
But Geezer is ~38 learning his trade and I am glad he has chosen us to learn it with us.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 11:58 pm

Very well said flourman.

Admin can we get a thank you button?
Back to top Go down
flyonthewall
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 12:44 am

Elaborate okay...

So what characteristics has Geezer brought to this team?

Well here is a couple for you:

1. Thuggery: McGeeney's obsession with Kildare being a "soft touch" and the back lash of this is the Kildare lads going out like headless chickens looking for any low blows they can get. Examples: White against louth and don't forget the mass brawls against Laois or Offaly this year.

2. Showmanship: Silly show off events like the fashion show (week after Louth defeat), things like "I can" writen on their tops and this kneeling in convoy before the games. I would not mind things like this if you brought silverware with it, let us forget the swagger until then!

3. A lack of actual success. I'm sick of hearing that getting to a quarter final constitutes success! It's not, end of!

...and flourboy we'll start talking about how it's a better squad than 1998 when we start beating minnows like Louth or Wicklow in the first round!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 12:57 am

Ok... some well made points there fly.

Thuggery? Are you having a laugh. Having been at the Laois match earlier this year, Kildare were far from the instigators of that incident.
But i suppose if a team mate of yours got punched in the balls you would just lay back and take it.
Low blows? Whyte was one isolated incident in 3 years.

In 3 years of championship football we've had one man sent of, Chalky who has had difficulties with discipline before McGeeney arrived, he's fine now!
Padraic Nolan has 2 sent to the line v Laois in one Leinster final!!!

Goes to show what you know about the running of Kildare GAA. Kieran McGeeney had nothing to do with the running of the fashion show.
Kildare players were asked would they model at it.It was Kildare GAA fund raiser so its not too much to ask. And i would imagine they had no problem in doing it.
I know the organiser of the show thats how i know.
There is no swagger in having i can on peoples jerseys or triaing tops, it keeps them focussed. Belief is a big team that this team is lacking.

What is actual sucess fly on the wall, in your opinion?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next