Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?

Go down 
+20
Admin
peile
Sam1928
centreback
shoutitout
flourman
flyonthewall
Stonecold
Loads of Pints
ChillDara
Ogie
white hope
kickingking
MD
abl
Rex
kildarecat
Jimmy winning matches
walsheman
gibbs
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
shoutitout
Intercounty
Intercounty

Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 1:04 am

fionn dont get into it with fly as they must be from Laois! They are the only ones that believe that we are thugs.
Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

PostSubject: Re: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 1:20 am

its gone!!

Last edited by walsheman on Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
flyonthewall
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 1:43 am

Fionn, success to me is actually winning somthing, maybe geting past the first round is success around here, though in 3 years we have still failed to do that twice! As for "I can" making you focussed, what does this mean? Maybe I'm ignorant to it but a sub wearing a top with motivational phrases has yet to score a point on a football field to my knowledge!

Another thing that bugs me around here is where anybody who has an opposing opinion is outcast and personally attacked. Well he doesn't agree with us so he must be from Laois! Nothing gave me more pleasure last year when we hammered Laois in Tulamore but this soccer "I hate Laois" element I find pretty distastful and immature!

As for walshman, yeah thanks for imput, you made some great points there with the abusive language! Good man!
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 1:56 am

I like cider! How ya like dem apples???
Back to top Go down
centreback
All-Star
All-Star
centreback

PostSubject: Re: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 2:05 am

i dont agree with flyonthewall about geezer but i do agree with him when he says anybody with an opposing opinion is outcast and personally attacked. He has an opinion and as much as we don`t agree with it, his opinion is fast becoming the opinion of alot of kildare people so instead of dismissing him why not argue it out?

the way i look at it fly is geezer and crimley have brought kildare football from disaster to very nearly bein leinster champs i know we measure success on trophies but it took micko 4 or 5 years to get it out of us so give kieran that kind of chance too.
i know you said crimley was the brains and geezer is lost without him but this year has been hard with dermots situation all year, with conways injury, rob kellys injury and alan smiths incident aswell so no matter how this year goes i think geezer should be given another chance i mean what other options is there?
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 2:10 am

I am still not convinced by Geezers tactics but we did make progress last year. My fear is that we may have regressed a bit this year.

As for the direction this thread is taking I agree that people can get jumped on quite easily for going against the grain especially when it comes to certain topics e.g. Geezer and anything to do with Moorefield being two examples.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 2:15 am

fly

Mick O'Dwyer, the greatest manager in GAA history managed Kildare for 11 years and probably managed the greatest bunch of players ever to come out of Kildare, managed to win 2 leinster titles in that time. 2 Leinster titles, prior to that it was 1956.
In the 126 years of the History of the GAA, we have won a grand total of 13 Leinster titles and 4 All Irelands.
By my calculations that is 113 years without any meaningful silverware at Senior Football Level.

We have no devine right to be winning titles going on those stats.

I without doubt feel that with McGeeney in charge we will win silverware in the next couple of years.

Whilst we failed at the first round in Leinster 2 years out of his 3 we have managed to reach the last 8 the last 2 years and at the moment still in a position to do it again.
Our qualifier record under McGeeney is Played 7 6 wins, 1 draw, 0 losses.
Our Qualifier record prior to his arrival Played 10 won 3 lost 7.
Is that not progress?

Sam, do you honestly agree with what fly has said on McGeeney? Thugs? Showmanship?

Also what of McGeeneys tatics do you not agree with?

Genuinely if McGeeney was to go, who would you appoint in the coming year to take over Kildare?

As for jumping on fly, he made his points very well i am merely arguing against them, is this not what a forum is?
Have i been abusive towards him?
Back to top Go down
peile
Intercounty
Intercounty
peile

PostSubject: Re: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 2:32 am

Agree with centreback and sam, everyone entitled to argue their point....keep them coming fly'. By the way I disagree with fly, except the bit about hating Laois...now that is childish...no need for it. Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? - Page 2 Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
flyonthewall
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 2:41 am

Thanks for the more constructive arguments!

Centre, Grimley the brains behind what? Look I'm not trying to be glib here but the best teams we have beaten are Laois, Wexford and maybe Fermanagh in championship, who are hardly footballing powerhouses in the 3 years! My point is this, the current set is a big investment (apart from managerial expenses) and to me it has has provided little return as regard significant progress.

Fionn, that is one of the points I was making, we have been very unsuccesful and still this air of arrogance exists around how Kildare are now a major footballing force. We're not! Win a Leinster or All-Ireland and then do as many fashion shows or boxing nights you want.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 2:52 am

Walsheman delete your post and have a read through this segment of the forum charter please.

Bad language is unacceptable. This board is for discussion, not hurling abuse at others and it does nothing to promote an active discussion. No flaming, trolling or personal abuse. By anyone. First offence will result in a warning. Subsequent offences may result in bans or outright permanent bans. Posts containing offensive material will be edited by the moderators once we have them in place.

No personal attacks.
Debate the post, not the poster. Personal attacks are taken seriously and will be dealt with using whatever action is needed. If you think you are being attacked you should ask yourself why it is an attack. If it simply disagrees with your post and tells you that you are wrong, this is not an attack. Violent personal attacks and threats will result in a suspension or permanent banning, depending on the situation.

Examples:
"Your post is idiotic." - Not a personal attack.
"You are an idiot." - Mild personal attack, generally not a problem but try to avoid it.
"You are a <list of expletives>" - Strong personal attack. Your post will be removed and you may be banned from the site.
"You are a ******** idiot... I wish death on you and a pox on your family!" - Violent personal attack. You will be banned from the site and have all offending posts removed.
Back to top Go down
https://kildaregaa.forumotion.com
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 3:01 am

Fionn - no dont agree with fly about the thuggery and showmanship.

As for the tactics - I have doubts about this 2-2-2 thing and why we seem to have gone backwards a bit with the overcarrying of the ball out of defence and the funnelling back dragging markers back into our half of the field.

We employed the quick early ball well and long diagonal ball to great effect before but now its not as evident (I know conway missing plays a part in that)

My points above were borne out in my eyes anyway in the game versus Leitrim. Would like to debate more but its 5 o clock and now Im on Sam time and not company time.

Anyway here's to a win tomorrow!
Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

PostSubject: Re: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 3:17 am

Admin wrote:
Walsheman delete your post and have a read through this segment of the forum charter please.

Bad language is unacceptable. This board is for discussion, not hurling abuse at others and it does nothing to promote an active discussion. No flaming, trolling or personal abuse. By anyone. First offence will result in a warning. Subsequent offences may result in bans or outright permanent bans. Posts containing offensive material will be edited by the moderators once we have them in place.

No personal attacks.
Debate the post, not the poster. Personal attacks are taken seriously and will be dealt with using whatever action is needed. If you think you are being attacked you should ask yourself why it is an attack. If it simply disagrees with your post and tells you that you are wrong, this is not an attack. Violent personal attacks and threats will result in a suspension or permanent banning, depending on the situation.

Examples:
"Your post is idiotic." - Not a personal attack.
"You are an idiot." - Mild personal attack, generally not a problem but try to avoid it.
"You are a " - Strong personal attack. Your post will be removed and you may be banned from the site.
"You are a ******** idiot... I wish death on you and a pox on your family!" - Violent personal attack. You will be banned from the site and have all offending posts removed.
okey dokey!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 4:38 am

I am firmly in the McGeeney camp.

I firmly believe he will win us a trophy or two, I see the effort and level of professionalism that he has brought to Kildare. I hear the way players like Rob Kelly speak about him. I see two quarter finals in a row for a county who could not win a first round game for 5 years and when they went into the qualifiers went no where. I also believe he has made mistakes but name me a manger in the world who has not.

People like Flyonthewall are entitled to their opinion but why get excited about what's wrote on a training top or how the funds are raised. I'll put it this way if you only have that to worry about then there is very little else going wrong. We have no divine right to win anything and lets be honest we win feck all.

Can I, as Fionn has said ask if you don't like McGeeney who do you want to take over. What Kildare man can do what no other Kildare man has managed for 82 years. Lets see your list.
If you are bold enough to want him out then you must have a replacement in mind.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 4:43 am

I want McGeeney to stay and think he's doing a good job.
But on the old forum is used to just take any criticism of McGeeney for a couple of posters to go mental.
Think some people think he's a God or something. He was a very good centre-back and is a driven man and has improved Kildare as manager. That's all.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 4:57 am

No ones I think is going mental but if you come on and say that you are not a fan it would be nice to see is available that you think would do a better job.

It's easy to say I don't like him but you need to say who will replace him.
Back to top Go down
Loads of Pints
All-Star
All-Star
Loads of Pints

PostSubject: Re: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 6:38 am

dont buy into this whole god thing at all either, however what i do buy into is mcgeeneys managerial credentials.

he has effectively transformed Kildare from 4/5 years ago from a nervous looking team with no squad depth into a tough, physical team not afraid to take on the big boys when they are up against it. he has done this by instilling a professional attitude and team spirit - you ask dermot earley or JD to compare the sqauds under Nolan/Crofton to this current squad as regards team spirit,attitude and physical condition and they will tell you the difference.

while we havent beaten a so called "big team" we have put it up to all of them and in all cases were beaten by the kick of a ball. wicklow was a freak and what happened in louth i think was an adjustment in training methods this year -

think about it, if he stuck with the same training this year as he did the last 2 years we would get the same results (1/4 finals), what he has done given the fact we god an "easy" draw in leinster, was altered the training so that the team will peak in july - the time of the leinster final. although we suffrered a shock defeat, the fact that we have bounced back so convincingly is evidence that kildare are starting to come good at the right time with the ultimate goal of going one step further than last year in mind!

why oh why would you be calling for "geezer out" when we are still in with a shout on the eve of our biggest game in years...cop your selves on

rant over!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 7:01 am

Yeah I agree JME in fairness I was talking about lads going 'mental' on the old forum
Back to top Go down
kildarecat
All-Star
All-Star
kildarecat

PostSubject: Re: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 7:08 am

I must haved missed something? but I don't remember anyone asking for McGeeneys head, some people are still not entirely convinced that doesn't mean they hope he fails just to prove a point.
After the Wicklow ambush we won a nerve wracking game in Newbridge by a point against Cavan, then we had a great win in Limericks home patch, after a sluggish start against Fermanagh we ran out convincing winners and we showed great battling qualities against Cork after that disastrous start and had them on the ropes at the end, the improvement from the Wicklow debacle was obvious and that improvement was carried on into the next season a good but unfortunate League Campaign was the springboard for a terrific Leinster campaign, but in both the Dublin game and Tyrone game we sleepwalked into the second half which ultimately proved fatal, reminded me of the 98 all Ireland final blown away in 10 second half minutes.

Paul Grimley moved on and yes we were unfortunate with injuries notably Conway, while Alan Smyth was just doing what many young men of his age do, but because he was away he lost his sharpness, which didn't help our cause as regards this years league but the loss of two players should not excuse how awful we were for the vast majority of the league, the regression compared to last season was striking and our poor form in the league was carried forward into the Louth game where we were absolutely diabolical especially in defence, please don't give me Louth should have won Leinster, that Leinster final was exciting but hardly the greatest footballing contest you'll ever see, Louth actually improved from the Kildare game as did Kildare improve without setting the world on fire, decent victories over lets be honest pretty mediocre opponents in Antrim and Leitrim still hasn't told us an awful lot, the game against Derry should tells us where we actually stand, lets hope its a positive outcome?.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 7:15 am

I don't mind saying that I had savage time for Geezer as a player and love the way he talks about the game. I think he's done great work. I agree Kildare have not progressed this year. I think the reasons are obvious and I'm not talking about Grimley's departure, although that is a part of it. But he's gone, the same way as Johnny and Dermot will be in time.

The other obvious factors are injuries and suspensions that have disrupted the entire year, where last year, it was practically the same team from February to August. And the injuries have continued - Mikey was the team's playmaker, Rob was the impact sub who was probably going to force himself into the starting 15, Smithy was one of the best forwards in the land. Dermot has not been himself for a whole host of reasons but we need only mention the injury that has been going for a few months now.

And there you are. There are no replacements for these guys. But what you have is a panel bursting their balls and buying into all the right things.

If everything goes right next year, I think that will yield a Leinster. I thought it would this year but everything didn't go right. We can see what has happened in the previous 50 years that Kildare will need things to go right to win a Leinster. So when people talk about not beating one of the big teams... well how often has that happened in the past anyway? It's that inflated notion of oneself that has us thinking that beating Laois is no biggie, or even Fermanagh, or Limerick - could have been winning a second successive Munster title the other day if the referee had done his job and they hadn't absolutely blown it last year.

There is a concern in that Dermot and Johnny don't have more than a couple of years left unless they do a Rainbow on it. What IS exciting is that the rest of the squad is young. Very, very young. And there are guys to come through over the next few years.

No question in my mind that we should do everything to get Geezer to stay - just don't let him dictate what happens on the club scene! That's not his job. But I believe that what is his job, he's done very well. He's still learning, I'd say he's far from the finished article but then no-one is.
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 9:52 pm

McCormack
Kelly McGrillian McLoughlin
Morgan o Flaherty Bolton Flano
Earley Flynn
Kavanagh O Neill Sweeney
Doyle O Connor Leaper
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 11:23 pm

I don't ever recall anybody proclaiming Geezer a god on the old forum. There was a lot of knee-jerk sensationalism reactions where people lost the run of themselves after certain results that were unfair and couldn't go unchallenged.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 7:55 am

Well Flyonthewall, what's your opinion now. You still have not added to your argument of who to replace Geezer. I'm waiting with bated breath to your thoughts although I have a funny feeling that you'll not be back to the forum for a while.

In fact nobody has come back with any sort of alternative to McGeeney.
Back to top Go down
MD
All-Star
All-Star
MD

PostSubject: Re: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 4:40 am

I dont think there is one,Mcgeeney has made our players some of the best in the country IMO,made us a feared side again. Even if we lose to Monaghan I'd want to retain the services of Geezer,we can go places with imo.

Remember before we got Geezer what we were like,we were going downhill and looked like we may go down to be the likes of the worse teams in the country. We also had one of the worst Qualifier record. Sacking Geezer would be totally wrong.
Back to top Go down
bob12
All-Star
All-Star
bob12

PostSubject: Re: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 5:01 am

Agree we need to keep geezer he has also brought in o'rourke which I feel is now paying off lets keep this going consistency is the key to success agree with MD we were rubbish and on a downward cycle for 2-3 years before Merrins made a wise and shrewd choice pity he is no longer there .
Back to top Go down
Always_White
Intermediate
Intermediate
Always_White

PostSubject: Re: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 5:07 am

MD What's this "even if we lose to Monaghan" rubbish?. There is no way this team will lose to Monaghan. We're going all the way. Bring 'em on!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?   Who can predict geezers line up for Derry? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Who can predict geezers line up for Derry?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next