Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Super 8 's

Go down 
+59
shoeshine
Jimmy winning matches
tomoneillandhissisteranne
Lillybloom
16andPregnant
ixus
kickingking
if_in_doubt
white boy
johnsmyth
Taibi
lillyboy
Bángoléir
kelf
White Bridge
OutTheGap
TheBigDog#
Ogie
Dinny Breen
jj
Kildaremad
Gaa1928
intheback
learmus
Big Full Back
Shergar
kildaregaa365
bite the pillow
Liffey Likes
KILL BILL
lilysavage
TommyKeegan
micky murphy
Cranky
topcat
moatesports
Kicking bird
MD
Sam1928
Goff28
murof
Highball
FearBan
flourman
Fear An Geata
hawker
inexile
Flamingo
bloodsub
All down the line
SeamusMurphy
Cilldara_2000
steviegenius
Kildare98
LillieLad
jimmers
sarsno1
Xavi
Rex
63 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 19  Next
AuthorMessage
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

The Super 8 's - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2018 10:53 am

I knew walking up through the north inner city to HQ in the rain yesterday and seeing the horrific state of the streets and the housing that it was possible I wasn't going to have my mood brightened at the match.

My God it really is an awful place for a game as a fan when it doesn't have 50k or 60k in it.

Anyway. The effort from the Kildare players was there but the execution wasn't.

Snuffed out by Monaghan is probably the simplest way of describing it. We couldn't get the line breaks and had no runners off the shoulders and too often went sideways and backwards. Our shooting was desperate at times.

I thought our defending was mostly good and our turnover count seemed quite high but so was theirs.

Even though we didn't play well we had an opportunity to win that. The bad wides. A few bad kickouts and acting the maggot gave them 2 or 3 soft points not to mention the 2 off the post.

Dan Flynn needs to be out the field running in. Some player when he's on it. Was it johnny byrne who jinked and weaved through about 5 monaghan defenders in the first half?? That was unreal. Talk about being a joy to watch... could have been one of the greatest points ever in Croke Park. Just so typical of us on the day that it went wide.

All or nothing now in Newbridge.
Back to top Go down
Dinny Breen
Senior
Senior
Dinny Breen

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2018 11:26 am

Tickets availabe online

http://gaa.tickets.ie/
Back to top Go down
FearBan
Intercounty
Intercounty
FearBan

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2018 12:02 pm

I'm sure it's a mistake but Group 1 (our group) match tickets cost €25 (both general admission) while similar group 2 tickets are costing €20 - Hyde park stand tickets are €25 while a terrace ticket is €20. Omagh GA tickets are €20

I have been charged €25 anyway.
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2018 12:10 pm

The weather suited Monaghan style yesterday no doubt. We were sloppy our passing was a bit off both hand passing and kick passing. Johnny Byrne kicked a great point in the 2nd half he could of passed it to Healy for a goal chance he had a near same kick a few minutes later and passed it on and lost the ball I wonder did someone have a go at him saying you should of passed the point he kicked and hesitated with the 2nd also Niall Kelly falling when the ball was passed to him was really a kick in the teeth that just two examples that had a big bearing on the game for us. If we beat Galway and Monaghan beat Kerry We would have a game against Kerry that would have nothing to play for but saying that Galway are consistent and will be hard beat and Kerry will surely have a reaction next week so its still all to play for.
Back to top Go down
FearBan
Intercounty
Intercounty
FearBan

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2018 12:23 pm

FearBan wrote:
I'm sure it's a mistake but Group 1 (our group) match tickets cost €25 (both general admission) while similar group 2 tickets are costing €20 - Hyde park stand tickets are €25 while a terrace ticket is €20. Omagh GA tickets are €20

I have been charged €25 anyway.

Just checked and it's the same for round 3. Group 1 tickets are €25 while group 2 tickets are €20
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2018 12:24 pm

Sam1928 wrote:
I knew walking up through the north inner city to HQ in the rain yesterday and seeing the horrific state of the streets and the housing that it was possible I wasn't going to have my mood brightened at the match.

My God it really is an awful place for a game as a fan when it doesn't have 50k or 60k in it.

Anyway. The effort from the Kildare players was there but the execution wasn't.

Snuffed out by Monaghan is probably the simplest way of describing it. We couldn't get the line breaks and had no runners off the shoulders and too often went sideways and backwards. Our shooting was desperate at times.

I thought our defending was mostly good and our turnover count seemed quite high but so was theirs.

Even though we didn't play well we had an opportunity to win that. The bad wides. A few bad kickouts and acting the maggot gave them 2 or 3 soft points not to mention the 2 off the post.

Dan Flynn needs to be out the field running in. Some player when he's on it. Was it johnny byrne who jinked and weaved through about 5 monaghan defenders in the first half?? That was unreal. Talk about being a joy to watch... could have been one of the greatest points ever in Croke Park. Just so typical of us on the day that it went wide.

All or nothing now in Newbridge.

Daniel actually popped up on Johnny's left shoulder from one of those deep runs - it was perfect but Johnny was leaning right and never saw him. Had he seen him, the goal was gone again and it would have been one of the greatest goals ever seen in Croke Park as it had opened up. With Daniel, you don't want him getting the ball 50 yards out and running - well, you won't mind but where he is at his most dangerous is taking a pass on the gainline or behind it once the line break is made because then he's near unstoppable. But that was a huge moment for me and I don't attach blame to Byrne, he just didn't see him and was operating on pure instinct by that stage. I noticed after, he really uses the spin well, backs into the contact and spins away. Training ground drill stuff you do with the kids executed to perfection in a fashion you don't see too often at that level.
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2018 2:17 pm

Would love to see more of that in football but sadly the way the defending is done now in numbers and swallowing up players it discourages that type of flair. Its just something that stood out as you rarely see that anymore. Its all power and speed now.
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2018 3:09 pm

Our half forward line just didn't function yesterday and it was clear from very early on that a couple of players were struggling, changes really should have happened sooner than they did.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2018 5:14 pm

Kildare 9/4. Galway 1/2. Draw 15/2.
Back to top Go down
TheBigDog#
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2018 6:46 pm

What's the story with tickets for the match on Sunday?They were on sale on the GAA website this morning but not now.€25 is a bit steep for one game considering it's €25 for a ticket for the double header in Croke Park when the under 20s are playing the final before the Dubs match
Back to top Go down
OutTheGap
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2018 10:35 pm

SeamusMurphy wrote:
Who was supposed to be marking Karl O Connell murof ?.. He was also denied a Goal by a good Donellan save.
It looked like Paddy Brophy was trying to mark him but he was nowhere near him for the 3 points. They made the point on the Sunday Game that Malachy O'Rourke spends a lot of time preparing the team to try and stop the oppositions best players. Even Dublin brought in Eoin Murchan to mark Ryan McHugh on Saturday. You'd wonder if we paid as much attention to stopping Karl O'Connell yesterday. I think it needed somebody with the pace of Slattery to stay with him but he had scored 3 points before a change was made. It was the same last year when we had no plan for Jamie Clarke. In a tight game, these small things make all the difference.
Back to top Go down
moatesports
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2018 11:04 pm

i think playing 6 games in 5 weeks is tough on any team even world cup boys dont do that not as physical anyway i think 2 games max ,then one week break is the answer beat galway and monaghan whip kerry who knows what can happen then
Back to top Go down
http://moatesports.ie
Liffey Likes
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2018 11:47 pm

Interested to hear opinions about tactics for the Galway game. Unfortunately Monaghan got their tactits spot on, they stopped our runners and muzzled some of our strong runners although Kildare did lack energy too. I am sure Kevin Walsh has noted the effectiveness of negative tactics and now we need to mix it up. A lot of people were disappointed with the lack of direct ball to D Flynn but you can understand that they were anticipating the sweepers blocking that route.  I would like to see Kevin Feely at FF and fed some direct ball but of course against the sweepers that is difficult with 2 fotwards v 3 or 4 defenders. So I suggest each time Kildare take a kick out or attack that D Slattery immediately sprints forward past the defensive line before Kildare break the defensive rear guard. That was it gives Feely someone to tap down to if fed the long ball but also pulls a defender to chase and open a hole in blanket defence if we  are running the ball.
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2018 10:00 am

Are we running out of steam? Supporters and team alike? Must be incredibly difficult for the players to lift themselves again this week for another huge game. Fair play to them. I'm running on empty now and I'm just a spectator.
Back to top Go down
Xavi
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2018 2:12 pm

Sam1928 wrote:
Are we running out of steam? Supporters and team alike? Must be incredibly difficult for the players to lift themselves again this week for another huge game. Fair play to them. I'm running on empty now and I'm just a spectator.

Personally I'm not running out of steam. It has been a tough year following the lads round Ireland , Particularly the league campaign . It started with much promise in Croke Park against the Dubs,where we put in a decent display was it not for a 10 minute patch just after half-time.

We were relegated without a win and the championship was a shot of redemption. Carlow up first to ease our way in and build momentum with hope of pushing the Dubs in Leinster final. But the wheels well and truly came off the wagon in Tullamore. Carlow barley misses a shot. We barely hit ours. 1-03 misses in 10 minutes . Game over . 7 point loss. History makers. All of them .

The meltdown ensued. Rightly or wrongly . Players, management, county board and supporters all questioned. Bottle , Mentality, Gutless,Spineless, Clueless, Whimps were the adjectives on most lips . Owenbeg beckoned with many expecting another loss ending the misery. And somehow at the end of the tunnel a candle was seen flickering. Sure we had our defensive frailties in Derry but some of the questions about hunger and mentality were answered , many not convincingly but at bay for now.

Onto Longford. Sun splitting the stones. Rode our luck . Cross bar saves us - twice. Managed to scramble to half time 8 points to 7 to Longford. The doubts were there in the stands once more . Bring in this lad, that lad isn't fit. Some poor soul from Longford had heart failure at half time - literally thankfully he's ok now. 2nd half Nip and tuck until the 70th minute . We got out of dodge with a 3 point win - where many in the past failed. Tails out from between the legs, not wagging and not quite up either.

Mayo next - #newbridgeornowhere . The draw was done. It was written in the stars . The only team we could draw at home that we couldn't or wouldn't be let host . Another meltdown but one of solidarity. Not this time Uncle Sam .
We weren't for turning . At this stage we had nothing to lose . No one blinked. Cian went on the 6 O Clock news. That was it. That changed everything. This time we were glad of the well spoken, mild mannered , measured Cian . He was representing us to the Nation. We were proud . Regardless of the outcome we had won .We stood up for what was right. The GAA blinked. Game on in Newbridge.

Atmosphere was electric. Scenes rarely seen in Newbridge . Sun again splitting the stones. Sky Sports in town. Pints flowing. Ham Sandwiches aplenty. Curragh of Kildare rang over the newly fixed PA system. Something was different here. You could feel it walking in . I turned to one of the lads and said "I think we're going to do this" . At the time I think he felt I was caught up in the emotion of it all, maybe I was but in my head and heart this time I felt it. And we did . 76 mins of football later we had seen off Mayo and finally taken a scalp. Many felt a watershed moment for the team . Personally I felt it as a watershed moment for the county.

Onto the field, again more scenes never witnessed on St Conleths Park on Championship day . A day to savour. One for the memories. We marched on. Fermanagh beckoned .

Navan next. A sea of white . Sat in the stand, felt like I was sitting in the Hogan Stand in 97/98. Familiar faces all round , dressed in white . Pitman Moore & Tegral tops to beat the band. White leather stetson hat, I turned to my mate and proclaimed "now we're truly back". A swashbuckling 35 mins and the match wss over . Flynn majestic . Roll on the Super 8s.

Monaghan Kerry Galway beckoned. 3 more games in a rollercoaster season . Monaghan first. A seasoned operator. No surprises and well drilled , hard as nails and hard to beat . 10 mins left we were level . Match in the melting pot. Just needed to take it. Post, short , wide . We had the chance. Fell just short . No shame. No fingers of blame. Went toe to toe and fell just short .

One more shot . One last hurrah of 2018. A top team . Who would you want. Where would you want them . Galway at home. Galway in #newbridgeornowhere. One last shot . Nothing to lose . Empty the tank. Leave it all on the field. Any more cliches. Am I fatigued . Am I FUCK. Bring it on .

One last shot .
Back to top Go down
White Bridge
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2018 3:16 pm

Xavi.........

Take a bow son!

Brilliant
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2018 3:57 pm

Fair play. 100% behind everything you say. Legitimate question to ask though considering the mental pressures on team and management.
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2018 4:48 pm

Great post Xavi, we have nothing to lose just keep it going and give everything players and supporters alike. I hope to god it’s a dry day on Sunday! If we win it’s game on!!
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star
jimmers

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2018 6:22 pm

Xavi - post of the year!

Brilliant!

Stick it on the wall in the Kildare dressing room on Sunday!
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2018 6:37 pm

jimmers wrote:
Xavi - post of the year!

Brilliant!

Stick it on the wall in the Kildare dressing room on Sunday!

They'd be fined for being late out.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2018 6:52 pm

Don't think the support is flagging. Match sold out this morning. Another cracking atmosphere. Wear white if you can. If makes a huge difference looking around and seeing thousands of fellow supporters standing together fighting for the same cause.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2018 7:55 pm

Brilliant post Xavi, fair play to you.

Whatever happens, mark my words, this summer is a watershed moment for Kildare football.

It's full steam ahead for this, and the Leinster minor final & U20 All Ireland final.

CILL DARA ABU.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2018 8:49 pm

It would be a great game to win but we struggle to break down defensive teams who tackle hard. Two many of our players can be taken out of the game too easily I fear. We have to find ways of changing systems and positions to negate those tactics and if necessary bring on subs earlier.
The priority this year has to be to win the U 20 title. We desperately need some silverware to keep the underage players believing that we can be AI champions and not serial losers.
Back to top Go down
moatesports
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2018 9:15 pm

it would be unreal heading for killarney after beating galway and kerry out after monaghan game now that would be a turnaround for the books spillane and oshea would be in hiding a guy can dream cant they
Back to top Go down
http://moatesports.ie
Fear An Geata
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2018 10:30 pm

moatesports wrote:
it would be unreal heading for killarney  after beating galway and kerry out after monaghan game now that would be a turnaround for the books spillane and oshea would be in hiding a guy can dream cant they

If we beat Galway and Kerry lose to Monaghan they are not out. A big win over us in Killarney and a Monaghan win in Galway could still be good enough for them to progress on score difference.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Super 8 's
Page 6 of 19Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum :: General Football Discussion-
Jump to: