Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Super 8 's

Go down 
+59
shoeshine
Jimmy winning matches
tomoneillandhissisteranne
Lillybloom
16andPregnant
ixus
kickingking
if_in_doubt
white boy
johnsmyth
Taibi
lillyboy
Bángoléir
kelf
White Bridge
OutTheGap
TheBigDog#
Ogie
Dinny Breen
jj
Kildaremad
Gaa1928
intheback
learmus
Big Full Back
Shergar
kildaregaa365
bite the pillow
Liffey Likes
KILL BILL
lilysavage
TommyKeegan
micky murphy
Cranky
topcat
moatesports
Kicking bird
MD
Sam1928
Goff28
murof
Highball
FearBan
flourman
Fear An Geata
hawker
inexile
Flamingo
bloodsub
All down the line
SeamusMurphy
Cilldara_2000
steviegenius
Kildare98
LillieLad
jimmers
sarsno1
Xavi
Rex
63 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15 ... 19  Next
AuthorMessage
Bángoléir
Junior A
Junior A

The Super 8 's - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2018 1:51 am

McGeeney has absolutely brought Armagh on tactically. He got the better of us tactically last year with a less talented team, then lost his star forward and still had a good season this year.

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
ixus
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2018 2:08 am

Would you stop. Man mark Flynn and Feeley is not tactical genius. It is obvious. Everyone is doing it.

Leaving Jamie Clarke on a one to one marking is going to result in him running the show. We are possibly the only team in the country that would do that.

Armagh were beaten by Fermanagh and Clare were out of sight but for inability to close it out.

I loved McGeeney for what he brought to Kildare. But he has tactical limitations.

I know Dublin are a different level to everyone But, if you look at how they adapt to every new tactic thrown at them and evolve their game every single season leaving others chasing last yeara game plan, you'll get it.

Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2018 3:35 am

If O'Neill wants to stay on and the players want to keep him I'd be happy with that, after the Carlow game and with the negative vibes around the team I wanted him gone but the team and Cian turned it around. If he does decide to leave I'd take McGeeney back without a shadow of doubt I honestly can't think of many names who would be better and wouldn't be a risk. I'd take Jim McGuniess, Pat Gilroy, James Horan etc but these options probably aren't viable. I don't rate Liam Kearns, and I'm not sure McStay can set a team up defensively. Would love to get one of those fecking Tyrone or Down coaches like Poacher (Prick) or Tally involved....

Massive thank you to the team and management again brilliant year and the best since 2010 sounds fucking ridiculous but I missed those heartbreaking 1 or 2 points defeats against top teams theres hope again and I feel like we are or not too far away from being a top team again.
Back to top Go down
lillyboy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2018 8:38 am

Tough ask against Kerry in the circumstances, the players and management have put in several big shifts in the last few weeks and should be proud.if we're to progress next year we still need to improve so we should try a few players next week, Dave Hyland and James Murray in the half back line, Mark Sherry up front maybe Eoin Doyle @3 and let Feely rest and recover. No point bringing the 20's on the trip either
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2018 10:41 am

No I think the 21st have a game the following day
Back to top Go down
hawker
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 12 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2018 1:53 am

Donie Buckley is finishing up with Mayo.

Just saying.
Back to top Go down
ixus
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 12 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2018 3:12 am

If Fitzmaurice already have him at training camp I would not be surprised.

99% of teams will chase him.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 12 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2018 8:17 am

Still think Cake Curran is the man for the job personally.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 12 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2018 8:45 am

Heard county board held talks with Senan Connell. Preliminary, but sounded out.
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star
Big Full Back

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 12 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2018 8:55 am

TommyKeegan wrote:

God if his punditry is anything to go by I’d swerve a mile. He’d need Rachel Wyse on the sideline to have someone to look at. I think Sky have done a great job on analysis but Senan isn’t up to the level of JMcG Horan or Canavan.
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 12 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2018 10:48 am

I'd rather shite on my hands and clap for the rest of my life than have Senan fucking Connell managing Kildare we would be the laughing stock of the whole country...I wouldn't want a Dub managing Kildare I'd just about take Pat Gilroy... Honestly would rather Graham Gerathy managing us and thats saying something...Don't know why I am getting worked up about it, it's never gonna happen....
Back to top Go down
moatesports
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2018 1:04 am

keep dubs away enough kildare talent around to manage us if con steps away draw in leinster will be interesting this year as we are not seeded
Back to top Go down
http://moatesports.ie
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2018 1:07 am

TommyKeegan wrote:

Only winding up Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Lillybloom
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2018 1:59 am

Well I heard Jim Mc Guinness been looked and the source would be reliable enough and that is not a wind up wheter it actually happens is another thing.
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2018 2:15 am

The one thing I will say about JMcG and I have met him a few times is he is always very complementary towards Kildare football, not sure if I would like to go down the full Donegal defensive route we are playing a good style at the moment with a higher level of work rate and fitness again next year we are hopefully not in a bad place!
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2018 3:59 am

TommyKeegan wrote:
TommyKeegan wrote:

Only winding up Very Happy

I was thinking classic TK
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2018 4:04 am

Lillybloom wrote:
Well I heard Jim Mc Guinness been looked and the source would be reliable enough and that is not a wind up wheter it actually happens is another thing.

Well sure if you don't ask you don't get. But is Jim McGuinness not now a professional coach? If I'm not mistaken, he doesn't have a job at the moment and surely he will be looking for something that pays and, officially? Also, is he willing to chase private donors for funding for Kildare in the manner he did for Donegal? I suppose Kieran McGeeney did it - and indeed was in the negotiations for the overall county sponsorship with Brady... anyway, he might. I suppose if he's in it, he's in it 100 per cent but no more than if Cian O'Neill has a full-time role with Munster, wouldn't a professional role mean McGuinness just wouldn't have the type of time required to give to it?
Back to top Go down
ixus
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2018 8:14 am

Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star
Big Full Back

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2018 9:22 am

ixus wrote:
Glad this shit is being called out by McKenna:

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/ewan-mackenna-why-are-the-nasty-and-spiteful-tactics-in-gaa-right-now-passed-off-as-a-skill-37157511.html

I was only reading it earlier and I wouldn’t be a fan of his but it’s true. Only thing you could say it’s like sour grapes but it is the way the game has gone. The black card was to cut out cynical play but really nothing has changed. If you’re up in a match unless you behead someone you’ll take a black card. I read I think Colm Keys also calling it from the Monaghan v Kerry match. He pointed out the Maurice Deegan was bending down to throw the ball in and almost in unison all six Monaghan backs were digging/manhandling the Kerry forwards before the ball was airborne. It’s nice to see a lad like Clifford who got the young lad roughing up treatment bury the ball in the net. No better way to give two fingers to you marker or markers. Yes it’s something that Kildare lack for the want of a better word but realistically it’s the way games have been won. I was at last years All Ireland final and it was rampant from the off from both sides and to be fair Mayo wouldn’t be put into that category but they know what it takes to match Dublin and the likes. Win pretty or win Ugly. The top teams don’t care as long as they win.
Back to top Go down
ixus
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2018 10:25 am

I love the hard stuff in football & hurling. Hitting a lad a shoulder to see who comes off best. Coming out on top in a physical battle.

The stuff talked about in that article could be eradicated by officials taking action in game and retrospectively. It would be sorted quick enough. Teams would have to drop it as a strategy and it filters down.
Back to top Go down
white boy
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2018 11:05 am

Dead  right Lads,Galway needed to be called out.The nordie  assholes have the game in  ruins.It not even hard man Stuff, i call it low life stuff.Has no place in the game.We no problem  taking our beating but that shite has no place in the Game. Would not happen in any other Game.
Back to top Go down
Liffey Likes
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2018 5:59 pm

ixus wrote:
Glad this shit is being called out by McKenna:

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/ewan-mackenna-why-are-the-nasty-and-spiteful-tactics-in-gaa-right-now-passed-off-as-a-skill-37157511.html

Refreshing to see such brave journalism from E McKenna all summer. He is direct to the point and doesn't conform to the expected norms. In earlier posts I was advocating a "dark arts" coach but only out of necessity due to lack of rules enforcement but I hate the stuff. I don't buy into this shit that officals don't see all off the ball stuff because there is seven officals ffs. It is selective. Of course i am bias, but i always tbought Mc Quillan has always been selective in games with white shirts, I would love to see stats on win/loss but again I am biased in my opinion where Kildare are concerned.The said linesman made a choice on Sunday to ignore each and every indiscretion against a player in a white jersey and make no mistake, 100% he saw each foul and card offence committed. We have 2 problems here. 1 is problematic officals who sometimes can't hide their preferences and prejudice and are not measured and ranked and dealt with and the second issue is the gaa as an organisation are prepared to tolerate it rather than stamp out this crap. Oh let's be clear this shit is not hard or brave like old style hard men lime Mick Lyons but this is dirt. It is time for some bravery from the gaa now to deal with this ugly issue. In some ways you can't blame Galway or any team who wants success because it is rewarded and hence the reason I suggested Kildare embark on that journey although I have serious reservations of seeing such play from Kildare and this seeping into clubs.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2018 8:18 pm

I think it's funny. People seem to want to hark back to the days when lads had their jaws busted while the ball was at the other end of the pitch. People want their team to be hardier and employ darker arts. People gave out about Daryl Flynn and Andriú Mac Lochlainn when they deployed them. This is going on for a number of years, it was going on when I played at club level, it's pushing the envelope as far as you can go to negate or seek a reaction. It's Lee Keegan on Diarmuid Connolly, but we don't mind that so much because nobody likes Connolly and we all love Keegan. Grand, I would love it not to be there but it is part of team sport and indeed a lot of sport, to push to the edge and beyond, to use intimidation, physical, verbal and mental.

What I would say is if there is footage of it, it should be addressed. But Galway started doing this because they were being flittered defensively. They have only become contenders because they are now operating in this fashion.

I saw plenty of posts here delighted with the off-the-ball stuff Kildare defenders were at before a ball was thrown in against Longford and Mayo - showing they weren't going to take any shit and were not soft Kildare. You can't have it every way.

For me, Daniel's body language told a lot as he rubbed his face in his hands - he knew he should not have reacted. It was frustration.

Always remember Colin Corkery losing his head in Croke Park as that prince of footballers Seamus Moynihan - and a prince he wasy - but he blackguarded him throughout the game until Corkery got sent off, head gone. I was right behind them in the Hill for a whole half and it was non-stop. That's many years ago. I saw Sylvie Linnane doing it John Fenton in 1986 All-Ireland, when FEnton moved into the corner after injurying his ankle. Sylvie kicked and kicked away at the ankle. Great craic - Sylvie's some gas man. Old style hard man - lads seem to have no issue with a guy punching a lad in the jaw but lose their shit over being pinched. I was chicken winged on the ground in a Junior C football match towards the end of my playing days. People do what they deem fit and it's not always nice. Don't get me wrong, I lost my shit but what could I do. Ref didn't see it.

I agree though that linesmen must see a lot of this in inter-county games - umpires certainly do. And when a back is pulling at Feely in the square with his back to the ball, a penalty should be given. And impose retrospective punishment. But the characterisation of Galway as some evil empire doesn't ring true to me. It sits well in Kildare right now but it's up to the officials to deal with what they see. Certainly, a guy catching a guy by the throat should be sent off.

People give out about soccer but if you raise your hands, you're sent off. The pinching and digging and hair pulling - they went on forever but certainly, umpires in the non-active sides, and linesmen could be looking around. A second referee would help too. And for televised games, the TMO could address it, as they do in rugby for foul play that a referee misses.

As usual, no structure there but I haven't seen Galway doing anything that I didn't see before and that I haven't seen Kildare people calling for their team to be more adept at on this forum in the past.

And that is not an advocacy of it - as a small corner or full-forward in the old days, absolutely not. But it happened then, and that was just at club level. But I suppose at least then, there were no sweepers and you had space to move to and get away from the hoors. That isn't there now.

This isn't a criticism of Ewan - it is good to want it out of the game. But you can pick examples of it for decades - and much worse the further back you go.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2018 8:53 pm

The Kildare whinge-fest continues... Why can't we all live in a utopia? Where's our safe space?!

For the record, you will NEVER hear me complain about a Kildare team having a hard edge and employing the dark arts. Why? Because there are officials who out of their depth and let it go – and if you don't stand up to it, the opposition will walk all over you.

We've been here before. A young Kildare team under Micko were routinely shoved around by Dublin in the early 90s until they finally got with the programme during his second spell in charge.

There were plenty of examples. Glen Ryan nearly decapitating Trevor Giles in 97 (was going to be sent off only the ref inevitably got him confused with Niall Buckley). Davy Dalton levelling Graham Geraghty with an elbow in the second game. Nuxer getting stuck into John McDermott in the third. John Finn foregoing the niceties and simply punching Declan Darcy in the head against Dublin the following year.

They'd learned that they had to give it back to the opposition twice as hard – the current team needs to do the same.

Back to top Go down
micky murphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2018 9:08 pm

Will be interesting to watch next weeks games..... guarantee their will have been communication issued to refs to stop pulling and dragging off the ball..........
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 12 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Super 8 's
Page 12 of 19Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum :: General Football Discussion-
Jump to: