Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Super 8 's

Go down 
+59
shoeshine
Jimmy winning matches
tomoneillandhissisteranne
Lillybloom
16andPregnant
ixus
kickingking
if_in_doubt
white boy
johnsmyth
Taibi
lillyboy
Bángoléir
kelf
White Bridge
OutTheGap
TheBigDog#
Ogie
Dinny Breen
jj
Kildaremad
Gaa1928
intheback
learmus
Big Full Back
Shergar
kildaregaa365
bite the pillow
Liffey Likes
KILL BILL
lilysavage
TommyKeegan
micky murphy
Cranky
topcat
moatesports
Kicking bird
MD
Sam1928
Goff28
murof
Highball
FearBan
flourman
Fear An Geata
hawker
inexile
Flamingo
bloodsub
All down the line
SeamusMurphy
Cilldara_2000
steviegenius
Kildare98
LillieLad
jimmers
sarsno1
Xavi
Rex
63 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 19  Next
AuthorMessage
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

The Super 8 's - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2018 2:06 am

He does lack a bit of tactical nous alright. Funnily enough I felt the same about McGeeney.

If McGuinness was willing to do it, I'd give to him no questions asked.

Like Micko, when a guy like that arrives, you just get out of the way because you know some serious shit is about to go down.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2018 2:36 am

It's amazing to think we end the season with one of my top five moments ever following Kildare in the Mayo game.

In fact the only things I'd put ahead of it are the two Leinster wins and beating Kerry in 98. Odds on that after Carlow game would have been about a million to one.
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2018 4:57 am

I'd say there's more chance of Martin McGuinness taking over than Jimmy.
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2018 5:55 am

lilysavage wrote:
I'd say there's more chance of Martin McGuinness taking over than Jimmy.

Jesus Shocked I think James Horan is with Westport? Id say Jack O'Connor will be linked if O'Neill does go and for some reason I wouldn't be too pushed with that...
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2018 6:21 am

McGuinness had said many times the only county he would manage is Donegal. Forget about him.

Glenn Ryan for me, would love to see him get a chance.

Back to top Go down
moatesports
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2018 8:00 am

i was proud of kildare yesterday put it up to one of the media favs time to blood a few of the next generation ,  get out of div 2 and to a leinster final , next year , kildare played 6 matches in a row id say legs had to be tired yesterday also the galway full back should have got a black card for cynical play that time on daniel flynn, donaghy got away with something similar as well yesterday
Back to top Go down
http://moatesports.ie
Xavi
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2018 8:55 am

Taibi wrote:
McGuinness had said many times the only county he would manage is Donegal. Forget about him.

I see or hear absolutely nothing to Suggest Ryan should get the job . He's a Kildare stalwart and legend however but I don't think it would be a progressive appoinemt . That's just my opinion.

I would like to see Davy Burke involved in some capacity .
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2018 8:59 am

Cake Curran with Davy Fitzgerald as number two & Kevin McStay to throw balls at lads' heads.
Back to top Go down
white boy
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2018 10:26 am

Fair play to Lads yesterday gave everything can't praise them enough.Yea again we were let down with shite officials.You can see why k.mcstay done what he done the gaa would want wake up and smell the coffee.The gobshite on the sideline should be at least asked 5to explain himself.To keep goning it that heat and get it down to 1P with 14 men all i say well done.C o n dead right to call them out,it a pity he did not before the game.Next year we have a lot of the 20 in, we not far off Lads.Big Thanks to the whole panel for the effort the put in all year.Looking forward to Nextyear all ready.
Back to top Go down
ixus
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2018 10:29 am

If we perform against Kerry and U20s win, it will be an attractive job to many.

Not expected to win Leinster but if you do, you'll achieve legendary status.

Where is the management talent aside from the very top tier 2 or 3?

Liam Kearns have the noise?
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2018 10:40 am

There have been some dreadful calls against Kildare this decade but a couple of years ago I definitively gave up on GAA officials.

Our minors - this year's U20s - were playing Westmeath in Newbridge. At one point we got through for a goal and the forward drove it into the net. The rebound landed in a Westmeath defender's hands and he kept playing.

At the next break in play, our boys went in to remonstrate with the umpire. He pointed up to say, "It hit the crossbar."

Thankfully we won well but can you imagine if we'd lost. I'm telling you it was a watershed moment for me, I lost all faith. This is what you're up against.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2018 10:56 am

Taibi wrote:

I'm in that corner.. with Davy Burke also involved.

I'd say Jack O Connor could have his eye on Fitzmaurice job if Kerry fail to advance Saturday week.
Back to top Go down
Bángoléir
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2018 6:36 pm

I don't think we should be talking about replacing CON. After Carlow I thought he had lost the players but since then we've seen that they want to play for him. He's come on tactically as well, we were much less naive against Galway and Fermanagh than we were against Armagh.

I know about the Munster rumours - and the county board have to be cognisant of that - but he's got a very tough job now to prepare for Kerry, I think that's what we should focus on (unless we're gonna bring McGeeney back!)

It's hard to know from the outside who should start. Our starting 15 have played a huge amount of ball and there's lads on the panel who deserve a chance to show what they can do. I'm thinking especially of Chris Healy but also Fionn Dowling there

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2018 7:50 pm

With the Feely injured and Dan suspended we are already stretched, doing well to get out of there without a real hiding, Clifford looks a serious danger and could do some damage
Back to top Go down
16andPregnant
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2018 8:40 pm

Well Gents, first time poster. I've been reading posts about super 8's and come to conclusion it's massively flawed. What are the rewards for turning your season around after a humiliating defeat to Carlow on 27th May? Seven hard games in total with five of those matches played over consecutive weeks. That effectively gives you no chance to progress at the quarter final (super Cool stages....it's just helps the GAA get into your back pocket!! A week's break ideally before the super 8's would have given us a slight chance vs Monaghan which might have made all the difference. Easy to bitch about it now but there is not at team bar Dublin or maybe Mayo at there best who could survive in that tight schedule. Great way to flog players who deserve better.

Back to top Go down
ixus
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2018 8:49 pm

Healy and Kelly deserve to start.

Need to counter Kerry's new flying backs and exploit space they leave. Looking for goals from N.Flynn

I would love to see us rattle 2/3 goals against that defense early. Go for it.

Flynn at top with Healy and Kelly feeding him or off him.

The rest need to clog up midfield. Prevent long delivery.

Back to top Go down
ixus
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2018 8:51 pm

Preggers. The error was bring Finals to an early conclusion in combination with the new programs in football and hurling. But the club's.
Back to top Go down
Lillybloom
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2018 9:27 pm

First time poster also..just wanted to mention an interesting spectator that was at the match on Sunday was Kieran Mc Geeney hopefully that is a good sign

For me I would like Mc Geeney to come back just like micko return in the 90s
Finished 5 year term in Armagh this year
Back to top Go down
Bángoléir
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2018 10:03 pm

Surely we'll appeal Dan Flynn's card, if only for the principal of it!

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2018 10:58 pm

Please please please please don't start the Kieran McGeeney debate again and if people want to start a Kieran McGeeney thread!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2018 11:08 pm

Sorry lads but McGeeney is not the man to lead us forward. He did well at a time when football was all about strong athletes who could run all day. He was unlucky not to at least reach an AI final in 2010 but McGuinness, Horan and Gavin moved football to a new level and he could not cope. It was all about plan A with him and if things went awry he didn't have the tactical nous to change tactics.
As much as I admire Glen Ryan I fear he might lack the tactical nous required at this level as well. We are not far off the top level and I would love to see CON stay on as I think he has progressed hugely once he was forced out of his comfort level after the Carlow game.
But what we need more than anything is a few more quality players who make all the difference in tight games. We are too light in back up in defense and midfield and that showed against Galway where we had a clearly injured Feely along side Moolick who struggle to stay the pace.
Obviously the U20's wont feature until next year but would love to see Connell, Sherry and Murray get some game time the next day. It's the only way to find out how good they are for next year. At this stage it has to be all about next year and building on what we achieved this year.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2018 11:34 pm

McGeeney is a bad idea. Straight away the County is split, we've only just started to get it back together after that fateful night.

The manager's position can wait as no one knows whst CON is planning on doing.

As for Kerry, it would be great to dump them out. The team is going to be interesting. Is he going to throw caution to the wind and play everyone who hasn't got a game or keep the tried and tested.

With Flynn suspended I'd move Brophy into full forward and bring in Kelly. I would also give Slattery a game instead of K.Cribbin.
Midfield will have Tommy and Feely if fit. If not try Dowling or Connell. Backs should stay the same as they have finally found collective form.

Let's give it one more rattle. We have nothing to lose, kerry have everything.
Back to top Go down
ixus
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2018 12:33 am

McGeeney and O'Neill have similar failings tactically.
They are both just short.of top tier and haven't shown great in game management to change the course of a game as it goes against them. McGeeney was poor at this with Kildare. He hasn't evolved to a plan b or c. Not an easy thing but crucial at the top level.
Back to top Go down
16andPregnant
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2018 12:49 am

For maybe a split second McGeeney would seem to be a perfect choice. I don't think we should look back to the past though. Kieran is very well liked by the average supporter but tactically not at the races and in truth never will be. Don't know where CON is heading, many are saying role with Munster Rugby is a done deal. There's not too many ideal fits out there though...a Malachy O'Rourke crossed with passion of Kevin McStay type.
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2018 1:49 am

Only going to post once on new manager as CO'N to me has evolved and progressed and looks like he is constantly learning so I will be cutting him some slack as this is his first managerial job and looks like he is learning from his mistakes and is being more open and honest and not keeping the team for 25mins at half time any more......

But to me I believe the manager needs to be able to analyse, deal with players and press and is a front to a backroom team that he builds, so if I was anyone within the county board I would be talking to Dermot Earley to see would he be interested first and then would he be able to assemble a suitable not on the cheap backroom team..........
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 11 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Super 8 's
Page 11 of 19Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum :: General Football Discussion-
Jump to: