Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Super 8 's

Go down 
+59
shoeshine
Jimmy winning matches
tomoneillandhissisteranne
Lillybloom
16andPregnant
ixus
kickingking
if_in_doubt
white boy
johnsmyth
Taibi
lillyboy
Bángoléir
kelf
White Bridge
OutTheGap
TheBigDog#
Ogie
Dinny Breen
jj
Kildaremad
Gaa1928
intheback
learmus
Big Full Back
Shergar
kildaregaa365
bite the pillow
Liffey Likes
KILL BILL
lilysavage
TommyKeegan
micky murphy
Cranky
topcat
moatesports
Kicking bird
MD
Sam1928
Goff28
murof
Highball
FearBan
flourman
Fear An Geata
hawker
inexile
Flamingo
bloodsub
All down the line
SeamusMurphy
Cilldara_2000
steviegenius
Kildare98
LillieLad
jimmers
sarsno1
Xavi
Rex
63 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 19  Next
AuthorMessage
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

The Super 8 's - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2018 10:10 pm

Have a very uneasy feeling back about this game. Things have been going to well, pundits are suddenly tipping us to win, very few if any injuries, it's just to good to be true for Kildare. Things like this don't happen to us.

I predicted at the start of this thread Kildare by 4. I want to balance out all the positivity by re-evaluating .

Monaghan are exceptionally well drilled, tough, uncompromising, they have the best forward in the game at the moment. We are playing in Croke Park where we haven't won since humans discovered fire. We still allow teams to move up the pitch to easily and our soft centre is still there. We conceded 18 points to a poor Fermanagh team and we have played 4 matches across a short period in scorching weather which must take it's toll.

Monaghan firm favourites in my book now.
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2018 10:21 pm

Yeah I think Flanno was the only one sent off as well that game... Actually that was a different came I'm on about the one where there was a scuffle before half time in 2012. Roli scored a goal in the 2010 championship match and gave the keeper a load of stick was good watching it.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2018 10:38 pm

It's funny with the Croke Park element, Monaghan's record is nearly as bad as ours, although they beat the Dubs in the league there this year - believe me, beating the Dubs at all in the Gavin era is a serious achievement.

Have huge admiration for Monaghan as a county - they continue to maximise their resources when counties with greater traditions (Meath, Cork, Offaly) have shamefully allowed themselves to slide into the shitter.

As Rex says, they are exceptionally well-drilled, tough, uncompromising with the game's top forward. If both teams come out and put in strong performances, expect it to be nerve-shredding - and I wouldn't rule out a draw. On balance, with Monaghan's greater experience and more impressive track record against top sides, objectively you'd have to fancy them.

But hoping with the momentum we've gathered and that X-factor we have from Newbridge Or Nowhere, we can drive on and do it.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2018 12:27 pm

Monaghan have 3 very good defenders in Walshe and the 2 Wylies, in Karl O Connell they probably have one of the top 5 attacking wing back in the country. However the other 2 back could be Vinny Corey and Dessie Mone whose best days are defintely behind them and they should be attacked and their lack of pace exposed constantly.

Darren Hughes is an athletic midfielder who will cover the ground and usually pops up with a score or two, he could well be partnered with Kieran Hughes who has a good left foot but I am not convinced he is a midfielder.

Up front they will start with McManus, McCarthy, McCarron and McAnespie + 2 others.

Mick O Grady will probably be tacked with McManus

Hyland with McCarthy

Peter Kelly with McCarron

Doyle with McAnespie

As with all games discipline is hugely important in this game, anything up too 55m Beggan or McManus will score for them.

Neil Flynn will be huge as well, in the league game they gave up plenty of frees, unfortunately on the day we didn't take our chances. As they are a physical team, I expect them to give away plenty of frees again this weekend. If Flynn keeps up his ratio we have a great chance of winning which will set us up for a crack off Galway who could/will be coming in off a bad beating by Kerry.
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2018 2:50 pm

This is going to be a great test of the team and their character and if they show as much character and workrate as theh have done over last few weeks we will be in here with a chance and that's what its going to boil down to.... to me both teams are evenly matched... so whichever team shows the best attitude, biggest workrate and desire will win this game ...........
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2018 3:23 pm

Watching the league match between the 2 sides earlier this year and a number of things were noticeable. How naïve and rushed we were when we crossed the half way line. The ease with which they cut through us to pick of easy scores and how we couldn't convert a free or 45.
I think we have improved in all those areas since but that will be tested on Sunday. McManus starting will be a big boost for Monaghan but if I remember correctly did Cribben not get black carded in the 1st half that day after scoring 3 points from play? He has been in flying form since thankfully and is vital to our chances. Expect The 2 Flynns to come in for special treatment and how they handle it will be critical.
Not as confident as earlier but definitely one we can win.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2018 4:41 pm

Work rate will win this game I think. If we work as hard as we have been doing especially against Mayo we'll have a very good chance. Plus our fitness seems to be getting stronger and stronger. They out ran Mayo and Fermanagh couldn't cope physically either.
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2018 5:04 pm

Lads it is unusually quiet here as in fairness I think we all see this is a massive test.
We have been on TV and have been talked about everywhere as a lightning rod for the Newbridge thing.
BUT Monaghan were similarly caught on the hop v Fermanagh as we were v Carlow, but have rotated well and seem to be flying.
Let's be honest, even with other decent players if we focus on McManus we will do damage. We have plenty to worry about up front and we look fresh.
We will be a step up from their recent opponents too.

Same 15 and same subs. Kildare by 3/4...
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star
jimmers

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2018 9:03 pm

Team announced for Sunday

No changes to the starting 15
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2018 9:45 pm

Think could be a real slog. Be interesting to see how the confidence holds up in a more dour and ugly game.
Back to top Go down
moatesports
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2018 10:17 pm

Win this and the sky is the limit of Al the league games in Newbridge the monaghan game was the one we should have won so we need not fear them just play like last day and win its winner takes all in this game and if Galway loose to kerry they could be deflated I heard comer could be out as well
Back to top Go down
http://moatesports.ie
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2018 11:28 am

Well is anyone else calling it? I think we will win, but I just can't be fully confident. I am much more sure of where we are compared to where they are...
Drew Wylie on Dan will be a good tussle, but if Corey starts at 6, he has slowed a lot and Paul should run him ragged.
Karl O'Connell might be a man for Keith to mark.
Then we need to sit on
Talk in Monaghan is that McCarron isn't quick enough inside so he might drift. We need Doyle sitting in space in front of McManus, not just the D as the hoor can kick scores from anywhere.
We seem very fresh and their older stagers hopefully won't keep up with us.

On a sidenote from the U20s its great that we didn't call up Hyland and gave him his crack at U20s. Christ he could be another huge addition to that inside line next year...

Anyway, Kildare by 4 I'm saying now...
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2018 12:19 pm

Expect Monaghan will be very physical early on trying to burst our confidence. Need to fight fire with fire and if we stand up to that I think we will win. As long as we don't give McManus the run of Croker like Jamie Clarke got last year. Big game needed from OGrady.
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star
jimmers

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2018 12:31 pm

I'm a lot less confident of a win here than I was for the game against Fermanagh. Monaghan have been in 4 of the 5 previous quarter-finals and that experience will be a factor. They're a hardened Division One team. I know we weren't far off them in the league game in Newbridge, but when it comes to championship how relevant will that be? McManus only played a few minutes that day as well. On the other side they have more miles on the clock and even though they have had a more straightforward route to the super 8s, we have built up incredible momentum from the last few weeks. Also while they have been in 4 quarter finals, tellingly they have never made it to a semi-final.

The prize on offer tomorrow is huge - for both teams. In a short 3 game series, the first game is crucial. Lose and you have to win your next 2 games, win and you are in a great position.

Latest betting at PP has Monaghan at 4/6 and Kildare at 13/8.

Don't think there will be much in it either way. Going for a narrow Kildare win............
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2018 12:32 pm

Once we actually learn from Armagh...it was like Jamie Clarke was some bolter from Geezer who hadn't been seen before.
If we stopped him we would have won and IF we stop McManus we will win.

I know they always say not to concentrate on one man, but when it's McManus and he is their 100% main option up top it would be idiocy not to give him extra attention.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2018 12:40 pm

I'm going for the draw at 8/1.. wouldn't be a bad result as it would still hinge on the Galway match.
Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2018 10:17 pm

I firmly believe we will beat Galway in Newbridge (eventually ), I expect us to lose to Kerry, so tomorrow. .... it's 50/50 and the result will ultimately determine our super 8s fate .......
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2018 10:39 pm

Roscommon made Galway look very ordinary for much of the Connacht final. We saw today how poor they are. Definitely a winnable game in Conleths but will be a lot easier if we won tomorrow. A win will keep the momentum increasing for another week.
Back to top Go down
Liffey Likes
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2018 11:54 pm

A lot of us including me had this game marked as very winnable but this game could possibly be the toughest we encounter in Super 8's and I include Kerry in that. Monaghan are so battle hardened and it was very noticeable in the league game in Newbridge just how good Monaghan are at battling out a win in tight games. We all know how physical they will be and how they will go all out because we shipped some heavy scores in some games. Let's hope that Kildare keep up the high tempo and slick movement and that the the expanses of Croke Park suit us. Best of luck.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2018 12:04 am

More or less from nowhere, over the past month Kildare football has picked up the momentum of a freight train.

Lads - get stuck into this one and do not let up for 80 mins. A win in this game is massive. MASSIVE.

CILL DARA ABU.
Back to top Go down
inexile
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2018 10:51 am

Very quite on the forum. If I'm honest I'm apprehensive. Wonder will the weather play a part considering we've won all our matches on fine summer days and todays turns out to bevwindy and wet which is what forecasts are saying. Really hope we do it.

Anyways Cill Dara Abu.
Back to top Go down
bite the pillow
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2018 11:50 am

Heading out the door. Croker here we come. After the U20s great win yesterday we head for the "Top Table" with hope and dare i say optimism. Let's hope we dine well. Give your all and shout your hearts out for the Lillies. This is what it's all about !!!
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2018 12:30 pm

Best of luck today lads, massive win if we can do it..
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2018 12:30 pm

inexile wrote:
Very quite on the forum. If I'm honest I'm apprehensive. Wonder will the weather play a part considering we've won all our matches on fine summer days and todays turns out to bevwindy and wet which is what forecasts are saying. Really hope we do it.

Anyways Cill Dara Abu.

I’m with you. Very apprehensive about it being in Croke Park and a wet Croke Park at that. Need to pass crisply from the start with boot and fist. A few misplaced passes would sap the confidence. Yesterday’s atmosphere at Croker and predictable results not helping my mood. At some point I’ve got to trust these players. Promise if they win today I will do!
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2018 2:38 pm

Monaghan tactics sucking the life from us. Their shooting much, much better thus far and other than Dan Flynn goal (wow) we have done little. Getting dragged into turnovers in forwards and sliced up on counter. Destroyed in second quarter. They are working harder too, attitude needs big shift after break.

Two other notes. Croke Park ruins so many games of football. Soulless. Makes an intense game feel like a challenge match. Also, what gobdaw decided both teams change kits so they still look the same.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Super 8 's   The Super 8 's - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Super 8 's
Page 3 of 19Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum :: General Football Discussion-
Jump to: