Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kildare v Clare

Go down 
+29
Kildare98
OutTheGap
Rex
murof
tomoneillandhissisteranne
TommyKeegan
bite the pillow
Ohtoohtobe
Curraghplains
lilysavage
lilliesabu
Club fan
jj
intheback
shoutitout
Dinny Breen
Cassanata
kevhog88
Shergar
micky murphy
seamymurphy
Taibi
Badger85
kildarecat
learmus
John_R
Highball
bigball
totalgaa
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage

Kildare v Clare - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Clare   Kildare v Clare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2020 10:46 am

Jesus, talk about an overreaction.
We are a division 2 team. Spent all bar 4 of the last 12 years in it. Clare are at our level. So losing to them by a point in Ennis is prob about par for where we are. I thought I’d was a 50 50 game so was tempting to put a few quid on Clare at 3/1 given the value.
New team and new management coming off back of few bad campaigns is gonna take time to get right.

Let’s relax a bit though. Progress will be slow. Jack lost to Liongford in league in his first Kerry campaign.
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Clare   Kildare v Clare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2020 10:48 am

Just reading posts and thinking about the group of players and I am disappointed that the management team haven’t found or brought in some more fresh meat and try something different as most on here know we are looking at the core of this group of players in my opinion underachieving based on their talents for the last few years and to me just seems like they simply not mentally tough enough and willing to put in the dirty work or stand up and be counted when the backs are to the wall.
How many of these lads wud you like to go into a real battle with?
Thinking about it why do we as fans expect anything different from a team backboned with the best players from 3 clubs in Celbridge, JTB and Athy that are constantly underachieving clubs and if these lads can’t drive their clubs to win a Championship how are they going to drive Kildare to success?
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Clare   Kildare v Clare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2020 10:57 am

Totally disagree it’s an overreaction & that Clare are our level.

They have no players with Div 1 or Super 8s experience, or with underage provincial titles or All Irelands. They haven’t spent the past decade competing at underage level with literally the most well-resourced county in the history of the GAA.

They are missing their two best players.

Absolutely dire performance but if people want to bullshit themselves fair enough.

Back to top Go down
Curraghplains
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Clare   Kildare v Clare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2020 10:57 am

micky murphy wrote:
Just reading posts and thinking about the group of players and I am disappointed that the management team haven’t found or brought in some more fresh meat and try something different as most on here know we are looking at the core of this group of players in my opinion underachieving based on their talents for the last few years and to me just seems like they simply not mentally tough enough and willing to put in the dirty work or stand up and be counted when the backs are to the wall.
How many of these lads wud you like to go into a real battle with?
Thinking about it why do we as fans expect anything different from a team backboned with the best players from 3 clubs in Celbridge, JTB and Athy that are constantly underachieving clubs and if these lads can’t drive their clubs to win a Championship how are they going to drive Kildare to success?
like who ?
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Clare   Kildare v Clare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2020 11:19 am

Tommy brought up some fair questions about Jack O’Connor’s performance earlier & it’s only right they’re addressed.

I couldn’t tell you why Liam Power & Niall Kelly started today. I also don’t know what he sees in John Tracey & I don’t know why Jimmy Hyland isn’t starting.

That’s just for starters. So no, he’s not earning the generous mileage.
Back to top Go down
Curraghplains
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Clare   Kildare v Clare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2020 11:45 am

Not frist time some of big names players have failed to deliver when game in melting pot
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Clare   Kildare v Clare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2020 11:47 am

HG, I think Pampers could sponsor you while you're at it given the amount of shite you put on here.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Clare   Kildare v Clare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2020 12:05 pm

Yes terribly witty Lilysavage. Move over Oscar Wilde!
Back to top Go down
Shergar
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Clare   Kildare v Clare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2020 1:15 pm

In all honesty when the rain started coming down did anyone really expect the result to be any different! We all know there’s a particular way the game is played at this level. You have two or three scorers inside and the half forward line need to be athletes to get up and down the pitch with enough size and physical strength to break tackles and set up the inside men. Water-carriers, almost another layer of half-backs. Virtually no one still plays with out and out scorers in the half forward line, except us of course. If our half-forwards could break tackles we wouldn’t be spending so much time going sideways.

Kelly had a double hip operation because of the effects of burnout 6 years ago, came back refreshed and had a good year in the qualifiers in 15 (but mainly in a 2 man full-forward line), that’s it. He cannot play in the half-forward line in the modern game and given that he can’t accelerate off the mark any more to get by opponents, it is legitimate to question whether he should be in there at all. Brophy has tried hard the last couple of games but long-term he isn’t going to play like this for the rest of the season. Regardless he should be dropped for the next match for sheer stupidity.

Ideally O’Connor should have identified someone like Daniel Courtney who has the physical attributes needed for the role in the trials stage and get them ready for it. But it hasn’t happened so you can only work with the hand he has chosen at the minute. Bring Daniel Flynn out to centre forward to get him in the game? Move John Byrne up there for more directness and physicality? Put Con Kavanagh in the half-forward line where he started off? At this stage Chris Byrne deserves his chance and given some of the performances over the last 12 months it is unfathomable that Conor Hartley is good enough to start in the UCD forward-line for the last 2 Sigerson campaigns but couldn’t make the subs bench yesterday. Other possible changes? Would love to see O’Neill and Moolick back in but can’t understand the manager’s logic on that. Darragh Malone might actually be a less risky option at corner-back than Peter Kelly. David Hyland hopefully healthy.

Wouldn’t read much into Armagh on the basis of the Laois game. Paul Hughes, James Morgan, Aidan Forker, Jarlath Og Burns, Rory Grugan, Jemar Hall and Jamie Clarke didn’t start. At least 4 of them will start next week with the rest appearing off the bench. Also Armagh went away from the attacking game they have been trying to play to concentrate on getting everyone in their own 45 when they didn’t have the ball. Put little pressure on a limited Laois goalkeeper and backline in the first half. Suspect McGeeney was doing this with an eye on us. The fact that he went to watch us instead of watching Laois in Roscommon said a lot about what he thought of Laois and he paid the price on Saturday might.

I don’t expect us to win and in many ways the year will come down to Roscommon in Newbridge in 3 weeks. Win and its not out of the question that we win out and get promoted on 10 points. Lose and confidence could fall through the floor and we end up in the tier 2 championship which would be a disaster for football in the county. I don’t buy the idea that these were the 2 easiest games. Cavan and Westmeath are no great shakes either and Laois will be brought back down to earth before the end of the league. Also 8 games in division 2, no away wins so far.

Also disagree about the quality. Because of the fear of missing on the tier 1 championship division 2 and 3 teams have never trained as hard or been so fit early in the year. Apart from the level of talent at his disposal, if there’s one other thing Jack O’Connor wasn’t prepared for, it’s this. This is the problem with suggesting we throw a bunch of young lads in. Most of them are physically unprepared for games like today because at minor level we have become obsessed with producing nice nifty little footballers to win underage titles rather than identifying players who will have the physical capabilities of playing senior, much like Laois back in the day.
Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Clare   Kildare v Clare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2020 5:53 pm

I would assume that those on here willing to consider this an over-reaction and gloss over that debacle in Ennis wasn't in attendance?
Back to top Go down
Curraghplains
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Clare   Kildare v Clare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2020 7:43 pm

Shergar wrote:
In all honesty when the rain started coming down did anyone really expect the result to be any different! We all know there’s a particular way the game is played at this level. You have two or three scorers inside and the half forward line need to be athletes to get up and down the pitch with enough size and physical strength to break tackles and set up the inside men. Water-carriers, almost another layer of half-backs. Virtually no one still plays with out and out scorers in the half forward line, except us of course. If our half-forwards could break tackles we wouldn’t be spending so much time going sideways.

Kelly had a double hip operation because of the effects of burnout 6 years ago, came back refreshed and had a good year in the qualifiers in 15 (but mainly in a 2 man full-forward line), that’s it. He cannot play in the half-forward line in the modern game and given that he can’t accelerate off the mark any more to get by opponents, it is legitimate to question whether he should be in there at all. Brophy has tried hard the last couple of games but long-term he isn’t going to play like this for the rest of the season. Regardless he should be dropped for the next match for sheer stupidity.

Ideally O’Connor should have identified someone like Daniel Courtney who has the physical attributes needed for the role in the trials stage and get them ready for it. But it hasn’t happened so you can only work with the hand he has chosen at the minute. Bring Daniel Flynn out to centre forward to get him in the game? Move John Byrne up there for more directness and physicality? Put Con Kavanagh in the half-forward line where he started off? At this stage Chris Byrne deserves his chance and given some of the performances over the last 12 months it is unfathomable that Conor Hartley is good enough to start in the UCD forward-line for the last 2 Sigerson campaigns but couldn’t make the subs bench yesterday. Other possible changes? Would love to see O’Neill and Moolick back in but can’t understand the manager’s logic on that. Darragh Malone might actually be a less risky option at corner-back than Peter Kelly. David Hyland hopefully healthy.

Wouldn’t read much into Armagh on the basis of the Laois game. Paul Hughes, James Morgan, Aidan Forker, Jarlath Og Burns, Rory Grugan, Jemar Hall and Jamie Clarke didn’t start. At least 4 of them will start next week with the rest appearing off the bench. Also Armagh went away from the attacking game they have been trying to play to concentrate on getting everyone in their own 45 when they didn’t have the ball. Put little pressure on a limited Laois goalkeeper and backline in the first half. Suspect McGeeney was doing this with an eye on us. The fact that he went to watch us instead of watching Laois in Roscommon said a lot about what he thought of Laois and he paid the price on Saturday might.

I don’t expect us to win and in many ways the year will come down to Roscommon in Newbridge in 3 weeks. Win and its not out of the question that we win out and get promoted on 10 points. Lose and confidence could fall through the floor and we end up in the tier 2 championship which would be a disaster for football in the county. I don’t buy the idea that these were the 2 easiest games. Cavan and Westmeath are no great shakes either and Laois will be brought back down to earth before the end of the league. Also 8 games in division 2, no away wins so far.

Also disagree about the quality. Because of the fear of missing on the tier 1 championship division 2 and 3 teams have never trained as hard or been so fit early in the year. Apart from the level of talent at his disposal, if there’s one other thing Jack O’Connor wasn’t prepared for, it’s this. This is the problem with suggesting we throw a bunch of young lads in. Most of them are physically unprepared for games like today because at minor level we have become obsessed with producing nice nifty little footballers to win underage titles rather than identifying players who will have the physical capabilities of playing senior, much like Laois back in the day.
Daniel Courtney was ask to join panel but said no
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Clare   Kildare v Clare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2020 8:02 pm

Unfair to be focussing so much on the manager's expenses, the 3 previous managers all were based outside the county as well. It will take a long time to improve performances and results. We are no where near ready for division 1 football. Look at Meath so far in that division and they are better than us
Back to top Go down
kevhog88
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Clare   Kildare v Clare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2020 9:01 pm

TommyKeegan wrote:
PS Here's an option, I will glady train the team to barely beat Fermanagh and lose to Clare, and I'll save Kildare an utter fortune and the clubs don't have to fork out for a guy I warned having spoken to their under-20s 28 months ago was well passed it.

Fake name ewan?
Back to top Go down
white boy
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Clare   Kildare v Clare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2020 9:11 pm

Thinking of putting money on to beat you own Team, that's tell it all for me. Anybody thinking that way, should stay away from kildare Games.God help us, we don't need that support or opinion on here.
Back to top Go down
Curraghplains
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Clare   Kildare v Clare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2020 9:20 pm

kevhog88 wrote:
TommyKeegan wrote:
PS Here's an option, I will glady train the team to barely beat Fermanagh and lose to Clare, and I'll save Kildare an utter fortune and the clubs don't have to fork out for a guy I warned having spoken to their under-20s 28 months ago was well passed it.

Fake name ewan?
must be all quiet in Dublin Gaa that Ewan worried about Kildare gaa
Back to top Go down
Cassanata
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Clare   Kildare v Clare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2020 9:50 pm

When do we reach the point that we start making the players responsible rather than the multiple managers we have tried with this group. There were zero leaders on the pitch yesterday, very little effort and very little pride shown in the jersey. I do agree that some of the selections that were made weren't the best and at Moolick would have at least giving it everything he had and shown some pride which is more than most out there.

We talk about this talented, skillful generation of players we've produced. All of that counts for nothing when you can't be bothered putting in the hard yards.
Back to top Go down
Curraghplains
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Clare   Kildare v Clare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2020 9:54 pm

Cassanata wrote:
When do we reach the point that we start making the players responsible rather than the multiple managers we have tried with this group. There were zero leaders on the pitch yesterday, very little effort and very little pride shown in the jersey. I do agree that some of the selections that were made weren't the best and at Moolick would have at least giving it everything he had and shown some pride which is more than most out there.

We talk about this talented, skillful generation of players we've produced. All of that counts for nothing when you can't be bothered putting in the hard yards.
majority of players in this panel played under Jason Ryan. Cian o Neill and Jack o Connor when need stand up and fight they threw towel in
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Clare   Kildare v Clare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2020 9:59 pm

Looks like hes sniffing around here looking for someone to give him JOCs expenses so he can qoute it 'verbatim' elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
Curraghplains
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Clare   Kildare v Clare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2020 10:06 pm

lilysavage wrote:
Looks like hes sniffing around here looking for someone to give him JOCs expenses so he can qoute it 'verbatim' elsewhere.
Ewan started same topic on Twitter last night
Back to top Go down
OutTheGap
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Clare   Kildare v Clare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2020 10:53 pm

Good post Shergar. I agree that a lot of our problems from an attacking point of view are because our half forwards are unwilling or unable to take their man on and break the tackle. We end up going sideways and are usually dispossessed without getting a shot in. We didn’t hit that many wides yesterday so it shows how few shots we had!

We are badly missing Fergal Conway and sadly it looks like Niall Kelly isn’t physically up to it any more. Maybe players like Chris Byrne or Conor Hartley would be worth a try.
Back to top Go down
tomoneillandhissisteranne
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Clare   Kildare v Clare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2020 11:35 pm

lilysavage wrote:
No, you've offered anecdotal evidence similar to some nonsense you put up here before. Facts are he has won more all irelands at schools, minor, u21 and senior than anyone else in the game. And calling someone out after a one point loss away on February 2nd is eejitry. Have you attended any games, club or county, over the past few year? You do realise we have struggled in Division 2 and were hammered at home in our last Championship match. Expecting an overnight transformation is daft.

Lily, were you at the match yesterday? Not only is there no sign of an overnight transformation, there are signs of the team getting worse. How can 15 players go out and not have pride in the jersey? Pride does not mean getting red/yellow/black carded, it means using your head, your body and your boot. It means being willing to take chances, to actually shoot (something we seem to have forgotten).
Agreed, Kildare are a Div 2 team (and God forbid we should get promoted because we are not ready, we're not even willing.) but we were playing a Clare team without two if their best players and we scored ten points.
And we could well be back in Div 3 next year - I hope not but we could well be.
The primary responsibility lies with the team, the secondary responsibility lies with the management - however, given the plethora of managers we've had with this group the words silk purse and sow's ear come to mind.
Look at the photos at the top of this page, of the Kildare team and JD. Do you see anyone on this team who is even a shadow of those men in terms of commitment? I don't.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Clare   Kildare v Clare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2020 12:11 am

I'm not sniffing around. I know. As do most. Thus when you pay for something you expect to get it. We aren't so far, and while attacking me or thinking that naming me is some big deal, those same people cannot answer the questions I asked and there's likely a good reason. Has performance improved? Is there a clear gameplan? How is the line coping during games?
Lose next week and basically the primary aim this year is gone.
Back to top Go down
Dinny Breen
Senior
Senior
Dinny Breen

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Clare   Kildare v Clare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2020 12:25 am

TommyKeegan wrote:
I'm not sniffing around. I know. As do most. Thus when you pay for something you expect to get it. We aren't so far, and while attacking me or thinking that naming me is some big deal, those same people cannot answer the questions I asked and there's likely a good reason. Has performance improved? Is there a clear gameplan? How is the line coping during games?
Lose next week and basically the primary aim this year is gone.

Sweet Jesus, this fella has never played to a decent level, never coached, wouldn't know a game plan if it hit him the face. Yet can spout shite after two games. Get off the board you clown, you don't even go to the games.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Clare   Kildare v Clare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2020 12:30 am

Good man Dinny, why don't you crawl out from behind your pseudonym or go back to other forums with the personal abuse you love and are constant with. PS know well who you are despite your cowardice, heard some crackers about you also, funnily enough from the rugby end who you get so angry defending because you don't like the truth.

Seems you don't like it here too, asked three questions and all you can do is call someone a clown. Says it all, but so does the desperation of that "he never coached" line.

By your logic anyone who hasn't been a TD shouldn't talk politics, if you've never had a platinum album you can't like or dislike music and so on. Pathetic effort, easily torn apart.

So I'll leave you to the sort of behaviour you are well known for and I'll get back to asking three simple questions while avoiding the level you yet again demonstrated. Like it or not I'm asking for standards, something I'm told you'd know very little about.
Back to top Go down
Dinny Breen
Senior
Senior
Dinny Breen

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Clare   Kildare v Clare - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2020 12:48 am

TommyKeegan wrote:
Good man Dinny, why don't you crawl out from behind your pseudonym or go back to other forums with the personal abuse you love. PS know well who you are despite your cowardice, heard some crackers about you too, funnily enough from the rugby end who you get so angry defending because you don't like the truth. Seems you don't like it here too, asked three questions and all you can do is call someone a clown. Says it all.

Is Tommy your real name?

Ha! The personal abuse angle, no better man to dish it out and becomes all snowflake like when he gets some, your hypocrisy is well known . Is there no one on twitter you can troll that you have to come here fishing? Dublin GAA, Schoolboy Rugby or fans of Kobe Bryant? Maybe you could publish an article on Belgian soccer and tell us all that that this is the saving of Kildare but now one will listen to the journalist who has no qualifications or experience in Talent ID or Talent Development. Funny that!!!

You are just another wannabe George Hook, Eamon Dunphy or Joe Brolly. Difference they played or coached to an elite level and are far better writers too.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Clare   Kildare v Clare - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kildare v Clare
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next