Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

2024 Allianz League

Go down 
+80
Kildare127
Borderline
micky murphy
Boggerlad
White Bridge
Sleeptight
kildaregaa365
Admin
Columbo
kelf
Sam1928
centreback
srg hartman
Taibi
Snowwhite
Cassanata
ChasingSam
Nuxerfromthe50
Southern Gael
DannyBoy
SplitThePosts
Clubman
Highball
murof
bite the pillow
ontheline2024
ClaneLillywhite
Lily899
Leead64
Cilldara_2000
MD
if_in_doubt
Twentyeight
Onhisboot
totalgaa
Gaa1928
FlourBag_1
lomond
Liffey Likes
Kildare999
Thelillywhites
CillDara 2024
jimmers
Ontheterrace
Macckers1928
Flamingo
TommyKeegan
Football101
Kildare98
TheGreatof1928
TheBigDog#
Hurlerbehindtheditch
Earl_Kid
Kildarelilly
FionnMcCool
newornowhere
OutTheGap
MickosMen
lilysavage
KILL BILL
really_unofficial_kildare
TheSquire28
Ohtoohtobe
BearintheSquare
shunta15
Botch
gunnerman
Badger85
Rex
TheManInTheStands
rgb
NorthernLily89
Lilywhite forever
Wrecktheshop
LillieLad
lily92
Kildare-Tom
moatesports
Onechance
84 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 22 ... 41  Next
AuthorMessage
newornowhere
Senior
Senior

2024 Allianz League - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2024 Allianz League   2024 Allianz League - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2024 10:47 pm

MickosMen wrote:
Very few of our senior players stand out at club level. That is a fact.

KOC is one of the only midfielders we have suited to the modern game. I agree that he struggles running into traffic at times but at least he is a runner. We need more pace and to break the lines of blanket defences. He is similar to MDMA for Dublin in that regard.

A few of our midfielders at the moment are detrimental to trying to play the modern game. The field the ball, takes them an eternity to turn and then they look for a safe handpass. Remove any sort of pace or speed from our game.

kirwan, beirne, mccormack,kevin flynn, paddy mcdermott, woodgate, hyland must definetly do stand out at club level.

Ohtoohtobe, OutTheGap and gunnerman like this post

Back to top Go down
FionnMcCool
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: 2024 Allianz League   2024 Allianz League - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2024 10:49 pm

Reading some posters on here the last few days is a real eye opener. I absolutely fail to believe and accept that we don't have 15 lads in the county able to run Armagh closer than a 14point defeat or have the ability to beat Cavan and Fermanagh.

No one here is talking about winning multiple Leinster titles or All Ireland. We're talking about being competitive.

KOC is limited in areas but one thing I really admire about him is that he never ever stops trying, never stops running and doesn't shy away from rolling his sleeves up. Give me 15 KOCs any day over others .

KILL BILL, lilysavage, Thelillywhites and really_unofficial_kildare like this post

Back to top Go down
MickosMen
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: 2024 Allianz League   2024 Allianz League - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2024 10:49 pm

newornowhere wrote:
MickosMen wrote:

KOC is one of the only midfielders we have suited to the modern game. I agree that he struggles running into traffic at times but at least he is a runner. We need more pace and to break the lines of blanket defences. He is similar to MDMA for Dublin in that regard.

A few of our midfielders at the moment are detrimental to trying to play the modern game. The field the ball, takes them an eternity to turn and then they look for a safe handpass. Remove any sort of pace or speed from our game.

kirwan, beirne, mccormack,kevin flynn, paddy mcdermott, woodgate, hyland must definetly do stand out at club level.

As do KOC, Luke Flynn, Aaron Browne.

Back to top Go down
FionnMcCool
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: 2024 Allianz League   2024 Allianz League - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2024 10:53 pm

MickosMen wrote:

This is not a fact. Its a lazy ill informed tripe. Paddy Mc, Eoghan Doyle, Alex Beirne, Kiwran, Brian Byrne are all standout players for Naas, in every game.

Niall Kelly was one of the best players in Senior champ last year. Kevin Feeley too.

Donnellan is one of the top keepers in the county. Ben McCormack - standout for Sarsfield.

I could go on and on.
Back to top Go down
Kildarelilly
Junior A
Junior A
Kildarelilly

PostSubject: Re: 2024 Allianz League   2024 Allianz League - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2024 10:55 pm

Colm Parkinson had Ewan mackenna journalist on his show today to talk about all the shite going on with Kildare was a good listen tbh and there's a few things I must say I was a bit shocked by when he said things some players had done . but was a very good listen

Lilywhite forever likes this post

Back to top Go down
lilysavage
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 2024 Allianz League   2024 Allianz League - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2024 10:56 pm

Kevin Feely and Niall Kelly both scored heavily in the club championship . MOG was good for Celbridge (albeit awful for Kildare). Tony Archibold also good in club. Sean Moran full back from Allenwood looked to have the raw materials for county, surprised he wasnt called in.
Back to top Go down
newornowhere
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: 2024 Allianz League   2024 Allianz League - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2024 11:03 pm

Kildarelilly wrote:
Colm Parkinson had Ewan mackenna journalist on his show today to talk about all the shite going on with Kildare was a good listen tbh and there's a few things I must say I was a bit shocked by when he said things some players had done . but was a very good listen

mckenna is a shit stirrer. probably something about lads chain smoking ffs or how he met them in some pub. wouldnt waste my time with either of them

Columbo likes this post

Back to top Go down
Earl_Kid
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: 2024 Allianz League   2024 Allianz League - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2024 11:23 pm

The north / south thing isn't imagined. Or may be more accurately "Dublin" clubs / the rest. Jackeen / dubs comments arent uncommon even in Kildare camps to players. Most lads couldn't give a shite (hardly as insult these days) but it does nothing to foster a Kildare identity in the growing populations in the north. As mackenna said in that interview, seeing mayo / Galway / Dublin jerseys is more common that seeing Kildare in some parts. Not surprising to me.

Badger85 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Hurlerbehindtheditch
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: 2024 Allianz League   2024 Allianz League - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2024 11:26 pm

It is great to see so many passionate Kildare GAA supporters taking the time to air their frustration and disappointment at the current state of affairs on the field. Being a small ball follower, I don't often go to or get to watch Kildare Senior Footballers either live or on TV. I took the opportunity on Sunday to watch the game on Sunday on TG4. I was shocked at what I witnessed to be honest. Having followed the last couple on games on radio and having followed the comments on the forum afterwards, I wasn't prepared for what I witnessed. Shocking does not cover it. I have been involved with teams at both Juvenile and Adult level for years and what was obvious to me in the body language alone is that Glen Ryan has lost this team. They are neither performing for him, themselves or us. That does not change no matter how much we criticise or make suggestions for our own solutions. Once you lose the players you have to either make the decision to leave for your own sanity or you have to be asked to leave and move on. Of course a lot of the reasons behind this have to land at the feet of Glen and the rest of the backroom team, however in my eyes these issues all point point to the same place ie The County Board.                                                                  
The County board as guardians of gaelic games  in the county, are responsible and  accountable ultimately for the selection of the management team and for the monitoring and management of the performance of the teams. This slide has not just happened since the 2024 league kicked off. Lets not fool ourselves into thinking that this is a blip that we can talk away. This is a clash of management styles, player ego's and by the look of it poor preparation whether it be physical or tactical. Taking Glen's comments after the match into account, the county board chairman seems to have rang hm to shoot the breeze nothing more nothing less. Glen Ryan for whatever his faults is a proud Kildare man. His record as a player speaks for itself. Of course he jumped at the opportunity to lead his county when the chance was put in front of him. The reality is that he was never the right choice, he was the popular and sentimental choice. The county board seized the opportunity to ride the wave of populism and appointed him. The County Board now need to stand up and make the proper decision, not the popular one and start doing what we entrust them to do. That will mean coming to the reality that its Div 3 and the Tailteann Cup in 2025.                                                                            
The County Board have to use that kick in the arse to rebuild and put the right managers and structures in place at all levels to ensure we have team we can get 100% behind and feel like we are going in the right direction and all pulling that direction. Unfortunately  I have been at enough County Board meetings in the last number of years to fail to see where that leadership  and vision is going to come from. In my mind it certainly will not come from within the current set up and county management committee. Ultimately the Clubs have to be the agents for change within the county board.

murof, KILL BILL, TommyKeegan, MickosMen and Corporalkildare like this post

Back to top Go down
Lilywhite forever
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: 2024 Allianz League   2024 Allianz League - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2024 12:03 am

newornowhere wrote:
Kildarelilly wrote:

mckenna is a shit stirrer. probably something about lads chain smoking ffs or how he met them in some pub. wouldnt waste my time with either of them
Why is that? Mackenna is the only journalist from Kildare that calls it as he see's it with Kildare Gaa.
Some say his comments last year were controversial but he's not wrong TBH.

He's just saying what people are thinking and won't dare say. Fair play to him for having the balls to say it.

Taibi, TheBigDog# and Corporalkildare like this post

Back to top Go down
Lilywhite forever
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: 2024 Allianz League   2024 Allianz League - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2024 12:06 am

Kildarelilly wrote:
Do you have a link for this or do I have to subscribe?
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: 2024 Allianz League   2024 Allianz League - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2024 12:08 am

Earl_Kid wrote:
The north / south thing isn't imagined. Or may be more accurately "Dublin" clubs / the rest. Jackeen / dubs comments arent uncommon even in Kildare camps to players. Most lads couldn't give a shite (hardly as insult these days) but it does nothing to foster a Kildare identity in the growing populations in the north. As mackenna said in that interview, seeing mayo / Galway / Dublin jerseys is more common that seeing Kildare in some parts. Not surprising to me.

Can't say I've seen any North South division but I know that last Sunday a parent I know well has a kid playing underage for a North Kildare team and the mentors arranged a challenge game at 2pm Sunday meaning he and his kid couldn't go to see Kildare.

As he said, "They wouldn't arrange the game at that time if Dublin were playing". That is the divide I would think exists. Northern clubs being influenced strongly by Dubliners who care not a jot about Kildare.
Those kids are the next generation of supporters but they are being denied the formative years when your loyalty strengthens. It's basically diluting the supporter base.
Back to top Go down
TheBigDog#
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: 2024 Allianz League   2024 Allianz League - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2024 12:16 am

Lilywhite forever wrote:
newornowhere wrote:
Kildarelilly wrote:

Why is that? Mackenna is the only journalist from Kildare that calls it as he see's it with Kildare Gaa.

He's just saying what people are thinking and won't dare say. Fair play to him for having the balls to say it.

McKenna is spot on and he isn't afraid to say it. He calling it as he see's it. He is right to say we aren't a sleeping giant. We haven't won a senior all Ireland in nearly 100 years. 3 Leinster senior titles in 60+ years, last one was 24 years ago. People are still living off 1998-2000. As a county we need to lower our expectations

TheManInTheStands, Lilywhite forever and Corporalkildare like this post

Back to top Go down
TheGreatof1928
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: 2024 Allianz League   2024 Allianz League - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2024 12:17 am

My own experience of the North/South divide extends to being called a Dublin c**t and being told to go back to Dublin in games down the county but that's because I've a thick Dublin accent. Now that's something said in the heat of a game but I hate it. You'd get similar comments from the sideline if a scuffle broke out. Consistent enough through the years.

Just my 2c.

Having Kildare mad parents I have always supported Kildare since I was a little lad but felt that divide was subtly present and feeling different to the rest of the support base. It's been said in social settings "yer Dubs etc". I think there is a divide but its maybe more against the North East clubs in the county Maynooth/Leixlip/Celbridge rather than entire north half.

if_in_doubt, Lilywhite forever, Earl_Kid and MickosMen like this post

Back to top Go down
Kildarelilly
Junior A
Junior A
Kildarelilly

PostSubject: Re: 2024 Allianz League   2024 Allianz League - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2024 12:18 am

Lilywhite forever wrote:
Kildarelilly wrote:
Do you have a link for this or do I have to subscribe?

subscription

Back to top Go down
lilysavage
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 2024 Allianz League   2024 Allianz League - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2024 12:20 am

TheGreatof1928 wrote:
My own experience of the North/South divide extends to being called a Dublin c**t and being told to go back to Dublin in games down the county but that's because I've a thick Dublin accent. Now that's something said in the heat of a game but I hate it. You'd get similar comments from the sideline if a scuffle broke out. Consistent enough through the years.

Just my 2c.

Having Kildare mad parents I have always supported Kildare since I was a little lad but felt that divide was subtly present and feeling different to the rest of the support base. It's been said in social settings "yer Dubs etc".  I think there is a divide but its maybe more against the North East clubs in the county Maynooth/Leixlip/Celbridge rather than entire north half.

Works both ways occasionally at club level. But dont think its a problem at county level.

TheManInTheStands likes this post

Back to top Go down
lilysavage
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 2024 Allianz League   2024 Allianz League - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2024 12:23 am

McKenna is correct on some things but lets his imagination run away with himself sometimes when it comes to players rumoured off field 'antics'. He would be happy to repeat on a national forum something he heard or read 2nd/3rd hand on a forum like this.

OutTheGap and John_R like this post

Back to top Go down
TheGreatof1928
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: 2024 Allianz League   2024 Allianz League - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2024 12:23 am

Rex wrote:
Earl_Kid wrote:

Can't say I've seen any North South division but I know that last Sunday a parent I know well has a kid playing underage for a North Kildare team and the mentors arranged a challenge game at 2pm Sunday meaning he and his kid couldn't go to see Kildare.

As he said, "They wouldn't arrange the game at that time if Dublin were playing". That is the divide I would think exists. Northern clubs being influenced strongly by Dubliners who care not a jot about Kildare.
Those kids are the next generation of supporters but they are being denied the formative years when your loyalty strengthens. It's basically diluting the supporter base.

I think your friends attitude is a good example of the divide. A made up untrue figment of his imagination. There is very little Dublin influence at committee level in Northern Clubs. It's mostly rural folks that moved up for work from rural Ireland.

if_in_doubt, Earl_Kid and Clubman like this post

Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: 2024 Allianz League   2024 Allianz League - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2024 12:36 am

Didn't comment on Armagh debacle, as I have unapologetically tuned out of senior team in terms of engagement, and I'm not alone judging by the genuinely shocking turnout – or should that be non turnout – of Kildare fans Sunday (surprisingly little remarked on).

Ewan's interview with Colm lays out in pretty stark terms. Certainly, dreadful from mgmt and players past 18 months, but in terms of overall set-up and county board oversight, we are bringing a knife to take on lads packing Uzis. County board clearly aren't doing due diligence on management and backroom team; they take Dublin dominance lying down (one home game against them in almost 30 years – that sounds like a gag but it's actually a fact); they haven't a clue how to fund or promote the senior team; there is no accountability or change (all I'm hearing for the past 10 years is vague waffle about "hoping" to be a Div 1 county for next 10 years).

It's an uphill battle in those circumstances, but success could be attainable with the right mgmt and squad mentality. Everyone knows my views on mgmt at this stage, so not going to repeat it, but Colm & Ewan touched on the key weakness of this squad – the mentality and leadership. They're simply aren't enough lads in this squad who revel in being hated (except by their own fans, maybe).

I talk far too much about Mayo on this forum, but again go back to 2015 example... Their squad gave Holmes & Connelly the boot after ONE SEASON. Scandalised a large section of their own fanbase, Holmes & Connelly were outraged, there was a section of the national sports media that virtually had a vendetta against them. They could not GIVE A FUCK. Next two seasons had one of the greatest teams we've ever seen hanging on by their fingertips in three immortal finals.

That's what serious competitors do. Unfortunately, with this current Kildare squad, it's kids' stuff & kind of risible tbh. Definitely think this season is a watershed (not a positive one), and the fanbase by & large are out for the foreseeable. Put the above factors together and I am not in the optimist camp – think the long-term future is we go the way of Offaly football – had a golden period but now an irrelevance surrounded by apathy.

Anyone with the optimist take, I'm all ears, but haven't heard a single convincing argument in recent days tbh. Genuinely feel it's Div 3 next year & we might actually remain there for a bit. A real shame.

Last edited by Kildare98 on Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:36 am; edited 1 time in total

Ontheterrace and TheGreatof1928 like this post

Back to top Go down
Football101
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: ‘Fans’   2024 Allianz League - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2024 12:36 am

It’s awful to see all the hateful comments about management and players from so called “Kildare fans”. To anonymously hate on players who give up so much of their time to dedicate to their county is so cowardly. The effects this has on them, not only their mental well-being but it can also be physically draining for them to be trolled week after week. We as supporters should be there to keep them going when times are tough and not kick them when they themselves already know they are not performing at their best.
These are young men, who have other commitments outside of football, and have to face all this hate and negativity just for playing a sport that they love and dedicate so much of their free time too. On to the next one now, let’s keep the heads up!

Lánchúlaí likes this post

Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: 2024 Allianz League   2024 Allianz League - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2024 12:38 am

TheGreatof1928 wrote:
Rex wrote:
Earl_Kid wrote:

I think your friends attitude is a good example of the divide. A made up untrue figment of his imagination. There is very little Dublin influence at committee level in Northern Clubs. It's mostly rural folks that moved up for work from rural Ireland.

He's watched Kildare since he was a kid and played Club football in Newbridge. He brought his kid on Sunday to the challenge and sent the County Board a complaint afterwards.

You are obviously out of whatever clubs decision making circle you think you are in or you're a Dub
Back to top Go down
MickosMen
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: 2024 Allianz League   2024 Allianz League - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2024 12:44 am

The North / South divide is a real thing. Does it hold us back? IDK. In North Kildare clubs like Kilcock, JTB and Maynooth the rivalry with Meath is massive whereas they don't really get the rivalry with Laois. And the same is true of the South Clubs. That's fair enough really.

I have heard it numerous times at matches when the likes of Confey or Leixlip will be told to fuck off back to Dublin and that kind of shite. Harmless enough I'd say.

The main issues are when it comes to important stuff. Anyone who thinks Davey Burke didn't got the job instead of Glenn for footballing reasons is sorely mistaken. It was a geographical decision absolutely.

I know South Kildare clubs who arrange challenge matches and rearrange league matches that clash with the hurlers county games. Most of these clubs now enter juvenile hurling teams also. We should absolutely be encouraging kids to go to these games also and support the hurlers. Improve the small ball also.

TheManInTheStands likes this post

Back to top Go down
newornowhere
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: 2024 Allianz League   2024 Allianz League - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2024 12:58 am

Lilywhite forever wrote:
newornowhere wrote:
Kildarelilly wrote:

He plays the man not the ball. im not a kevin o callaghan fan but his bulllshit tweeting regarding him a few weeks back for cheap laughs was about the standard of journalist he is.
Back to top Go down
TheBigDog#
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: 2024 Allianz League   2024 Allianz League - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2024 12:59 am

Football101 wrote:
It’s awful to see all the hateful comments about management and players from so called “Kildare fans”. To anonymously hate on players who give up so much of their time to dedicate to their county is so cowardly. The effects this has on them, not only their mental well-being but it can also be physically draining for them to be trolled week after week. We as supporters should be there to keep them going when times are tough and not kick them when they themselves already know they are not performing at their best.
These are young men, who have other commitments outside of football, and have to face all this hate and negativity just for playing a sport that they love and dedicate so much of their free time too. On to the next one now, let’s keep the heads up!

Us Kildare fans have every right to be angry. We travel up and down the country spending money to watch them play and then they produce that shite we have seen the last 3 league matches. If they aren't happy with the negativity walk away from the panel and let someone else who would be proud to pull on the white jersey and who would put in at least 100% on the pitch. Not that half arsed shite we have seen the last few weeks

Back to top Go down
Lilywhite forever
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: 2024 Allianz League   2024 Allianz League - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2024 1:09 am

Football101 wrote:
Ah no not the ''These lads give up their free time'' comment. I'm sick to death hearing that year in year out.
It should be seen as an honour playing for kildare and if they give up their free time then they must not be giving up enough of it, as they wouldn't be that clueless when the enter the field.

You give out about nasty comments. Any serious team with ambition would use that as a motivation and plaster each comment on the dressing room wall before a match.

Cilldara_2000, Taibi, TheBigDog#, Thelillywhites and MickosMen like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2024 Allianz League   2024 Allianz League - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2024 Allianz League
Page 3 of 41Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 22 ... 41  Next