Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Suggestions for Next Management

Go down 
+68
jimmers
PaddyMartinKildare
StayDownOnIt
lilysavage
Kildare144
Thin Blue Line
OutSideOfTheBoot
MD
flourman
Onechance
bite the pillow
TheBigDog#
Morrissey
FlourBag_1
DannyBoy
Leead64
jim
KILL BILL
Fizzer
cuttothebone
Countyminor -84
bloodsub
Columbo
Cilldara_2000
Ned
Kildarelilly
lomond
if_in_doubt
TheGreatof1928
TommyKeegan
Kildare-Tom
Southern Gael
Liffey Likes
Highball
MickosMen
really_unofficial_kildare
RiseAgainKildare
Ontheterrace
SplitThePosts
ClaneLillywhite
Rex
LillieLad
rgb
TheManInTheStands
Twentyeight
Big Full Back
Botch
The flour bags
NorthernLily89
seamymurphy
newornowhere
Thelillywhites
lily92
BearintheSquare
moatesports
Badger85
murof
Ohtoohtobe
Lilywhite forever
Kildare999
shunta15
Clubman
Menolam
Blackadder
FionnMcCool
Flamingo
Gaa1928
micky murphy
72 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 22 ... 28  Next
AuthorMessage
MickosMen
Intercounty
Intercounty

Suggestions for Next Management - Page 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 16 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2024 10:51 pm

jim wrote:
Maybe the last teacher wasn't as bad as some people would have you believe.

Not many people had an issue after the first two seasons. It was what it was. It was the decision to stay on really annoys people. We've all heard the whispers from the camp. We've all seen the amount of lads who have walked or not made themselves available or haven't been given an opportunity.

I've no doubt in Kildare we have serious issues accepting that the players for the most part aren't top 7 or top 8 county players. We have always ran managers and questioned why they haven't achieved anything with us. We ran Jason Ryan and CON for example. JOC was a joke too. However regardless of that I do think that Glenn Ryan was the biggest part of the issue this time around. Our players aren't division 1 standard but they aren't division 3 standard either. Glenn led us there and has to own it now. The players can gain redemption but he can't.

Glenn and the lads should have gone lads year with their heads held high after a decent run where we beat Roscommon and were narrowly beaten by a decent Monaghan team.

LillieLad and Southern Gael like this post

Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2024 1:01 am

MickosMen wrote:
jim wrote:
Maybe the last teacher wasn't as bad as some people would have you believe.

Not many people had an issue after the first two seasons. It was what it was. It was the decision to stay on really annoys people. We've all heard the whispers from the camp. We've all seen the amount of lads who have walked or not made themselves available or haven't been given an opportunity.

I've no doubt in Kildare we have serious issues accepting that the players for the most part aren't top 7 or top 8 county players. We have always ran managers and questioned why they haven't achieved anything with us. We ran Jason Ryan and CON for example. JOC was a joke too. However regardless of that I do think that Glenn Ryan was the biggest part of the issue this time around. Our players aren't division 1 standard but they aren't division 3 standard either. Glenn led us there and has to own it now. The players can gain redemption but he can't.

Glenn and the lads should have gone lads year with their heads held high after a decent run where we beat Roscommon and were narrowly beaten by a decent Monaghan team.

Interesting post Micko'smen but I haven't heard any whispers from the camp, can you enlighten us, please?
Why would Glenn walk away after year two when as you say the team had a decent run?
We have no idea why the lads stepped away, some say they wanted to travel and that's fair enough. Some feel that they weren't getting the opportunity and weren't prepared to work to get into the team and that's their choice. I heard Padraig Joyce talking about his panel of 42 players, I'd be shocked if they are all happy and feel they are getting the opportunity. Galway will have 16 players not togged on any given day.

McGeeney is right, a lot of it boils down to the student's attitude. We need to be VERY mindful of this regardless of who the next manager is.
Back to top Go down
lily92
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2024 1:29 am

Quote :
“Without doubt,” McGeeney says. “You give me a bad coach but a player with a brilliant attitude, you’ll still get a great result. Give me a brilliant coach and player with a bad attitude, you will still get a bad result.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/i-wish-i-was-fking-25-kieran-mcgeeney-on-missing-playing-and-preparing-for-an-all-ireland-final/a1483205132.html
Back to top Go down
MickosMen
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2024 1:57 am

Lads will ye stop with the McGeeney carry on. It's been over a decade now. Move on. Seek counseling maybe.

micky murphy, lilysavage and Gaa1928 like this post

Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2024 2:32 am

Anymore on the so called whispers MickosMen?
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2024 2:51 am

I think we have plenty of mediocre players but there were some baffling things this year and even last year the dips were all the shop.

Like we were unlucky to drop from Div 1, but that same year he sent them out in Croke Park against the Dubs totally exposed. We never had a style of play or plan and this year the fitness levels are a joke.

The manager can look after that and if the students are not willing he can tell to F off and work with lads who are.

In terms of whispers I heard things where players wanted to know why they were not playng, etc and there was no reason given, no feedback. And this wasn't a whinge from players, they wanted to nail down a place and were keen to do more...(again you never really know what is BS or not...)

When the wheels come off in sport they really come off, but in reality it was a bit messy. Whoever comes in needs lads to buy in or get out. And the manager needs to be brave enough to do that and not give a feck what we or anyone says.

Ontheterrace likes this post

Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2024 3:52 am

Why aren't any of our local journalists not interviewing any of the players and seeking an opinion from them.
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2024 3:59 am

Ara ffs WHEN in the history of the GAA has an active player come out in public giving out about their current manager?

We'd be fit to crucify them here for starters. And I won't be naming lads here, but like it's clear that Glenn and co had communication issues with the players.

Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2024 4:38 am

Flamingo wrote:
Ara ffs WHEN in the history of the GAA has an active player come out in public giving out about their current manager?

We'd be fit to crucify them here for starters. And I won't be naming lads here, but like it's clear that Glenn and co had communication issues with the players.

As clear as mud Flamingo. I'm not here defending Glenn Ryan but I'm listening to the same rubbish about communicating and opertunity and poor me I got no look in ect ect. Inter county football is a man's game if your not sure about something you should ask. If there's an issue with any aspect of trainings or game plan man up and ask.

I honestly have seen any leader in kildare since the likes of Brian Flannagan Daryl Flynn Dermot Earley Ronan Sweeney Morgan Flan JD. Lads that would die with their boots on.
We where very very poor against Laois and we just rolled over and lay down. Regardless of what the game plan or the style of play that's on the men in the jersey.
No game plan will sort that out for you.

Anyway that me gone way off the topic of this thread. Sorry folks lol!

Ned, Flamingo and moatesports like this post

Back to top Go down
FlourBag_1
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2024 8:52 am

In January 2019 we drew with Armagh in Newbridge in the opening round of the league. 10 Armagh players who were involved that day will be in the squad for the All-Ireland Final on Sunday. Armagh are proof of what can happen when you have a talented, dedicated bunch of players along with a good management team and fanatical fan base. While even competing in the All-Ireland series seems a good bit off for us at the present moment, with the right structures in place we can make massive improvements. The appointment of this next manager is absolutely crucial. We need a complete reset from top to bottom. There should be no shortcuts anymore, we can’t afford to go through the motions. Many counties would envy our underage success in the last few years. Any word on who the next manager will be?

Thelillywhites, Southern Gael and Countyminor -84 like this post

Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2024 9:08 am

To me rhe next chairman is as an important appointment than the next manager. It's a massive job for whoever takes it on

KILL BILL, moatesports, Southern Gael, FlourBag_1 and Leead64 like this post

Back to top Go down
FionnMcCool
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2024 9:26 am

jim wrote:
To me rhe next chairman is as an important appointment than the next manager. It's a massive job for whoever takes it on

Mr Blobby would look and appear more intelligent.
A mix of Boris Johnson, Liz Truss and Theresa May would lead us better.

We can't but improve.

His legacy will be voting McGeeney out and getting us to Div.3.

Problem is, he'll just move his position on stage and won't be exiting. In reality , a complete clearout is needed.

KILL BILL, Southern Gael and The rising sun like this post

Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2024 6:21 pm

A big clear out. It's a massive job . Getting volunteers to get involved in clubs is getting extremely hard . We can't get people to look after under age team in our club . All very fine saying get rid but who's going to take these jobs?
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2024 6:37 pm

[quote="Flamingo"]Ara ffs WHEN in the history of the GAA has an active player come out in public giving out about their current manager?

My query is now that the current management team are finished why have we no comments from any of the players
Back to top Go down
MickosMen
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2024 7:52 pm

There ain't a queue of people for any of the jobs that's the reality. All of our previous chairmen and boards had their issues. What I will say for Mick Gorman is that at least he got Conleths done. I'd say that's his legacy. We will bounce back on the pitch and get to division 2.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2024 8:14 pm

Gaa1928 wrote:
Flamingo wrote:

My query is now that the current management team are finished why have we no comments from any of the players

Maybe there was no issue with management. Maybe the players have to take responsibility for the poor performances all year. Maybe it wasn't that Cian O'Neill who is a brilliant coach and by all accounts did the vast majority of the on field coaching when he was manager wasn't the problem after all. Hopefully, the next manager will have the silver bullet.
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2024 8:28 pm

In recent times the managers are a mud guard and that cycle has to change too.
Like as ye say there are games where tactics and plans are one thing but basic work and desire isn't there.
It us dragging a bit now and if it us Flanno just name him now.
They should have had time to see who is actually available.

MickosMen likes this post

Back to top Go down
MickosMen
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2024 8:38 pm

I'd agree Flamingo. It's time to draw a line in the sand and move forward. The first thing we need to do is ditch the toxicity and shitty culture which exudes around the place. We simply can't afford to throw flanno or the team under the bus if things don't get off to a blistering start. It will take a little time. I'd love to see a siege mentality driven into the the lads. Let the players know that everyone thinks we are a joke of a county incapable of success and incapable of wining. Let them know that outsiders think they are a bunch of windbags. Let's see how they react to that. If they are happy with it then we are fucked. I wouldn't expect them to be. 2 or 3 years of decent hard work and we could easily be in All Ireland Quarter finals again. The gap isn't massive but the little things need to be gotten right. Look after them and the big things will fall into place.

jim and DannyBoy like this post

Back to top Go down
RiseAgainKildare
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2024 9:08 pm

MickosMen wrote:
I'd agree Flamingo. It's time to draw a line in the sand and move forward. The first thing we need to do is ditch the toxicity and shitty culture which exudes around the place. We simply can't afford to throw flanno or the team under the bus if things don't get off to a blistering start. It will take a little time. I'd love to see a siege mentality driven into the the lads. Let the players know that everyone thinks we are a joke of a county incapable of success and incapable of wining. Let them know that outsiders think they are a bunch of windbags. Let's see how they react to that. If they are happy with it then we are fucked. I wouldn't expect them to be. 2 or 3 years of decent hard work and we could easily be in All Ireland Quarter finals again. The gap isn't massive but the little things need to be gotten right. Look after them and the big things will fall into place.

First place to cut the toxicity is in here. The bullshite rumours from the camp all year were helping nobody then piling in on the players at any given opportunity. Personal attacks that have got back to the players and in one case HR in his work had to get involved after his workplace was mentioned. Absolute vomit in here at the best of times.

These are the issues from my point of view of someone that has gone to games for years good or bad.

• Glens time didn't work out but our players were limited. We lost too many this year in the forwards that we simply didn't have quality cover for.
    Strength and conditioning was an absolute joke and that will cost us for a few years.
    Fans not turning up when things got really bad rather than supporting the team didn't help.
    Clubs are being well coached but the standard of intercounty player isn't there at the moment to challenge at the top table.
    New manager will be Brian Flanagan. Just announce it and let him get to work.
    Lack of PR and communication across Kildare gaa is not good at all compared to other counties. That gos for official and unofficial strands.

jim, MickosMen and The rising sun like this post

Back to top Go down
FlourBag_1
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2024 10:04 pm

Our support has been absolutely woeful for a number of years. I remember sitting in Tullamore embarrassed last year when our players got a few claps from the stand versus the huge roar Roscommon received when they ran onto the pitch. People all have reasons for not going to games and that’s absolutely fine. But what exactly will entice more fans back? Are we really just as fickle as when we start winning a few games that more fans will slowly return? I understand we may never see the numbers that supported us during the Micko days, but I can remember us bringing close to 10,000 fans up to Cavan for a qualifier in 2012.
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2024 10:10 pm

Ah yeah a clean slate is needed across the board.
At this stage I'd still like Flanno bar a hail mary candidate comes in.
Again I keep saying when you compare his U20s to what we usually complain about in Kildare it's chalk and cheese. Lads taking ownership of things. Lads backing and talking to each other.
Winning dirty ball and no hiding.

Even if you are losing but you have a manager getting that from his players it's something.

But attitudes need to move on at every level. I heard some positive whispers (here he goes again) and if it comes off then it'll be something to get us back on track.
Back to top Go down
Thelillywhites
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2024 10:24 pm

FlourBag_1 wrote:
Our support has been absolutely woeful for a number of years. I remember sitting in Tullamore embarrassed last year when our players got a few claps from the stand versus the huge roar Roscommon received when they ran onto the pitch. People all have reasons for not going to games and that’s absolutely fine. But what exactly will entice more fans back? Are we really just as fickle as when we start winning a few games that more fans will slowly return? I understand we may never see the numbers that supported us during the Micko days, but I can remember us bringing close to 10,000 fans up to Cavan for a qualifier in 2012.

As Rex eluded to in previous post that's because we had a manager who engrossed himself in all things Kildare Gaa.
Kildare fans followed the team in thousands because there was a complete buy in from players and supporters. Can you elaborate Flamingo?
Back to top Go down
Thelillywhites
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2024 10:54 pm

A huge thank you to Eoin Doyle who has been a magnificent servant for Kildare Gaa throughout the years.
Go raibh míle maith agat.

jim, OutTheGap, lilysavage, bite the pillow, Southern Gael, Kildare999, FlourBag_1 and like this post

Back to top Go down
FionnMcCool
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2024 10:55 pm

Glen and his management team had about as much charisma as an empty crisp bag.

Compare his press and interviews with Joyce, McGeeney, McGuinness, McStay and Burke to name but a few.

The biggest part of management is motivating the players to do things they're sometimes not willing or able to do.

Every single aspect of our game this year was a complete shambles. Alex Beirne looks a pale shadow of himself. I could name countless others too.

We've regressed in every aspect . Very notably S&C.

This is on the management.

Look at the transformation Jim McGuinness has done in 8 months in Donegal. That's what can be achieved with buy in from all parties.

Everyone and I mean everyone needs to take a long hard look at themselves. County Board, Management, players and ask how much do we want this

KILL BILL likes this post

Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 16 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2024 11:55 pm

FionnMcCool wrote:
Glen and his management team had about as much charisma as an empty crisp bag.

Compare his press and interviews with Joyce, McGeeney, McGuinness, McStay and Burke to name but a few.

The biggest part of management is motivating the players to do things they're sometimes not willing or able to do.

Every single aspect of our game this year was a complete shambles. Alex Beirne looks a pale shadow of himself. I could name countless others too.

We've regressed in every aspect . Very notably S&C.

This is on the management.

Look at the transformation Jim McGuinness has done in 8 months in Donegal. That's what can be achieved with buy in from all parties.

Everyone and I mean everyone needs to take a long hard look at themselves. County Board, Management, players and ask how much do we want this

Is it a PR manager your looking for , that has all the sound bites.? Brian Cody Brian Logan or Jim Gavin hardly fit that profile.

Fionn it's OK to just say I just don't like Glenn Ryan and that's ok .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Next Management   Suggestions for Next Management - Page 16 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Suggestions for Next Management
Page 16 of 28Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 22 ... 28  Next