Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Athy vs Sarsfields

Go down 
+24
ElGuerrouj
tpos
Son of Sarsfields
kelf
Loads of Pints
ChopperDalton
kartman
centreback
Come on the Boys in Blue
parcel
all_star
bag of white
sean boylan
johnsmyth
hope
tomcruise
BelieveToAchieve
Fear An Geata
Botch
shoutitout
TheBigFullForward
walsheman
lastline
Muller
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Loads of Pints
All-Star
All-Star
Loads of Pints

Athy vs Sarsfields - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Athy vs Sarsfields   Athy vs Sarsfields - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 5:00 pm

no, proper order would have been to have the county final the week after the all ireland
Back to top Go down
Loads of Pints
All-Star
All-Star
Loads of Pints

PostSubject: Re: Athy vs Sarsfields   Athy vs Sarsfields - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 5:03 pm

whatever, i dont see what it has to do with either Athy or Sarsfields as the title of the thread suggests.

im getting bored of this futureswhite fella now, he doesnt seem to know his arse from his elbow in here
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Athy vs Sarsfields   Athy vs Sarsfields - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 5:11 pm

Mention of 86 brings back memories of a certain P Dunny as County Chair and the memories are not good !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Athy vs Sarsfields   Athy vs Sarsfields - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 5:20 pm

bag of white wrote:
Loads of Pints wrote:
when jacko played with leixlip in the late 80's and early nintees the team was moved up to senior. they subsequently got to county final in 86 and mick o'dwyer prevented Jack O Shea from playing in the final as kerry were in the all ireland the following week.

you have quite the interest in this matter futureswhite, perhaps now you have the answer you should start another thread on the matter?

I think FuturesWhite was being a little disengenuous LoP and he already knew the answer to the question.

I actually didnt know the answer. I realised they were in the relegation playoff and had a quick look over some old programmes to see how long they had been at senior. When I couldnt find the answer, I asked it here.

I dont see how or why that would bore you. Nor do I see how I should be expected to know that?!

Back to top Go down
bag of white
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Athy vs Sarsfields   Athy vs Sarsfields - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 5:28 pm

FuturesWhite wrote:
bag of white wrote:
Loads of Pints wrote:
when jacko played with leixlip in the late 80's and early nintees the team was moved up to senior. they subsequently got to county final in 86 and mick o'dwyer prevented Jack O Shea from playing in the final as kerry were in the all ireland the following week.

you have quite the interest in this matter futureswhite, perhaps now you have the answer you should start another thread on the matter?

I think FuturesWhite was being a little disengenuous LoP and he already knew the answer to the question.

I actually didnt know the answer. I realised they were in the relegation playoff and had a quick look over some old programmes to see how long they had been at senior. When I couldnt find the answer, I asked it here.

I dont see how or why that would bore you. Nor do I see how I should be expected to know that?!

Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Son of Sarsfields
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Athy vs Sarsfields   Athy vs Sarsfields - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 8:43 pm

First of all the best team won last Sunday. Athy will be the next dominant team in Kildare, They have good footballers in every position and they also have strentgh in depth. They only thing that they lack is experience but that will be remedied.

Hopefully I can shed some light on the elevation of Leixlip to senior in 1985. Leixlip competed in the intermediate championship of 1984. Jacko transferred in and Leixlip opted to play in the senior championship in 1985. There were no relegation play-offs back then, a team could apply to be regraded and also had the option of playing in a division above where they played the previous year. Jacko made his championship debut in 1985 in Clane against Sasfields there was pipeband and the teams were paraded even though it was only a first round game. However the game itself was very poor and the most biased refereeing display ensured that Leixlip beat Sarsfields by a point. Incidentally very few players who played intermediate in 1984 played in the senior final in 1986.
Back to top Go down
tpos
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Athy vs Sarsfields   Athy vs Sarsfields - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 9:30 pm

When Jack played for Leixlip did he stand out ?
Back to top Go down
ElGuerrouj
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Athy vs Sarsfields   Athy vs Sarsfields - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 10:10 pm

tpos wrote:
When Jack played for Leixlip did he stand out ?

I wasn't around to see those years so just going on hear say but by all accounts he ran the show, esp when Leixlip were playing some of the rougher teams in Kildare. That said, the 86 team had some other fine players too.
Back to top Go down
the big cal
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Athy vs Sarsfields   Athy vs Sarsfields - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 3:16 am

What does kelf mean by the slur on Pat Dunney? If hes talking about Tompkins and Fahey, I can tell you that theres a lot more to it than we can let be known on a public forum.

Leixlip got two senior players Jacko and Brennan of Galway in late 84/ early 85. It was mooted that the club should be regraded up from Intermediate to Senior and this was passed at the County Board. It was the days of perhaps 21 or 22 senior clubs, with hap hazard relegation. This was supported by the clubs.

Jacko came on with 15 mins remaining in the 86 final with Leixlip being 12/13 points down and nearly rescued them. The buzz those days was great.
Back to top Go down
ChopperDalton
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Athy vs Sarsfields   Athy vs Sarsfields - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 8:44 am

Why did the Sarsfield management take off Brennan - he was playing really well, it was obvious to the man o the street that Confrey was getting relied up.

Saying that the best team won and it should be an exciting end to the championship
Back to top Go down
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Athy vs Sarsfields   Athy vs Sarsfields - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 3:13 pm

Son of Sarsfields wrote:
First of all the best team won last Sunday. Athy will be the next dominant team in Kildare, They have good footballers in every position and they also have strentgh in depth. They only thing that they lack is experience but that will be remedied.

Hopefully I can shed some light on the elevation of Leixlip to senior in 1985. Leixlip competed in the intermediate championship of 1984. Jacko transferred in and Leixlip opted to play in the senior championship in 1985. There were no relegation play-offs back then, a team could apply to be regraded and also had the option of playing in a division above where they played the previous year. Jacko made his championship debut in 1985 in Clane against Sasfields there was pipeband and the teams were paraded even though it was only a first round game. However the game itself was very poor and the most biased refereeing display ensured that Leixlip beat Sarsfields by a point. Incidentally very few players who played intermediate in 1984 played in the senior final in 1986.

Thanx for that, I didnt know thats how things used to work.
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Athy vs Sarsfields   Athy vs Sarsfields - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 6:30 pm

My mention of former County Chairperson has nothing to do with the Tomkins & Fahy thing.

Its to do with some not very complimentary comments about he made re Leixlip and of course the 86 situation when with Leixlip in both hurling & football finals he insisted the Fottball be played the Sunday before the All Ireland Football Final and the Hurling the Sunday after when a swap would have been easy.
Micko banned Jacko from playing in the County Final but Jacko, who was always outstanding for Leixlip, came on near end of the County Final and suffered a bad back injury which hampered him in the All Ireland where he was poor in the first half. A "flu" was the cover story for the injury caused by an opponents knees !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In 1985 Leixlip Club ( Committe & players ) voted to apply to move up from Intermediate to Senior. I was one of the few who voted against !!! The County Board approved the application and Leixlip have been senior since but the future is not looking so bright !!!!!!
Back to top Go down
ElGuerrouj
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Athy vs Sarsfields   Athy vs Sarsfields - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 6:40 pm

A lot more Leixlip people on here than I thought
Back to top Go down
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Athy vs Sarsfields   Athy vs Sarsfields - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 7:07 pm

ElGuerrouj wrote:

Touchy fcukers too!!

Well if things were the same today, I dont see why the Kildare football championship final which has been fixed for months, would or should be changed to accomodate one man.

Could you imagine the Kerry football final being moved to cater for a Kildare exile playing down there?

Dont bother replying kelf, I know the answer!
Back to top Go down
Muller
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Athy vs Sarsfields   Athy vs Sarsfields - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 7:18 pm

Be interesting to see who will take up the reins at the newbridge clubs. I'd imagine sheedy will stick around but i hear sean o sullivan has already gone. Sarsfields are in a postion not too unlike there newbridge counterparts a few years back with a few underage titles in the last few years. arguably the second best underage outfit besides athy of course so they surely must have players comin thru. they had a few cracking minor teams in the last few years that use ta hammer us everychance they got. the full back campbell seems to be the only one who has gone on to the next level. Moorefield still have enough quality players on the right side of 30 ta remain a serious force. No reason to write off the Newbridge teams just yet
Back to top Go down
sean boylan
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Athy vs Sarsfields   Athy vs Sarsfields - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 7:24 pm

To be honest Sarsfields dont seem to have anyone coming up maybe to odd one or two while i think Moorefield needs to be freshed up but the problem is they dont have they players to freshen it up. Clane took this year as a transition year bringing through alot of players and that will work well for them next year.
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Athy vs Sarsfields   Athy vs Sarsfields - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 7:27 pm

sos to save moores
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Athy vs Sarsfields   Athy vs Sarsfields - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 9:49 pm

FuturesWhite wrote:
ElGuerrouj wrote:

Touchy fcukers too!!

Well if things were the same today, I dont see why the Kildare football championship final which has been fixed for months, would or should be changed to accomodate one man.

Could you imagine the Kerry football final being moved to cater for a Kildare exile playing down there?

Dont bother replying kelf, I know the answer!

I agree with you that the Final should not be changed but the Chairperson and another officer visited Leixlip after the Semi and stated the Finals would be switched but he changed his mind when Sarsfields cribbed. Just in case the history is being conviently forgotton down in Roseberry !!!!
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Athy vs Sarsfields   Athy vs Sarsfields - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 9:56 pm

kelf wrote:
My mention of former County Chairperson has nothing to do with the Tomkins & Fahy thing.

Its to do with some not very complimentary comments about he made re Leixlip and of course the 86 situation when with Leixlip in both hurling & football finals he insisted the Fottball be played the Sunday before the All Ireland Football Final and the Hurling the Sunday after when a swap would have been easy.
Micko banned Jacko from playing in the County Final but Jacko, who was always outstanding for Leixlip, came on near end of the County Final and suffered a bad back injury which hampered him in the All Ireland where he was poor in the first half. A "flu" was the cover story for the injury caused by an opponents knees !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In 1985 Leixlip Club ( Committe & players ) voted to apply to move up from Intermediate to Senior. I was one of the few who voted against !!! The County Board approved the application and Leixlip have been senior since but the future is not looking so bright !!!!!!

Seámus Moynihan's brother played for Leixlip back then too didn't he? He definitely played for Kildare under Pat Fitzgerald.

Jacko was an absolutely brilliant footballer to watch. Seeing himself and the late Dermot Earley going up against each other in Newbridge is one of my earliest memories of football. His last ever match was a county league final against Clane about ten years ago in Celbridge and there was a long ovation for him that day from everyone on the field when he was taken off in the second half.
Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

PostSubject: Re: Athy vs Sarsfields   Athy vs Sarsfields - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 12:21 am

explain to me how according to the leader,robbie confey for sarsfields was sent off,took a while to get off went shown his second yellow,and then when conor tiernan starts another fight,confey runs back on to get involved......well according to the paper thats what happened!!!how the hell does that not get u a bigger ban??and its stupid that red card suspensions dont carry over to the start off next year in maybe the league.........but they miss there next championship game dont they?or will this not count cause its next year??back wards rules really!!
Back to top Go down
losthope
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Athy vs Sarsfields   Athy vs Sarsfields - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 1:12 am

If its a standard sending off the wording is, you serve a time ban in the same code at the same level, inclusive of the next game in the same competition of that competition year even if that game falls outside that suspension period, so whoever got sent off depending on what's in the ref's report not what's in the papers could very possibly miss no games. They only ones who can add to the ref's report are county officers who witnessed what happened, that rarely happens. There was an instance in Kildare about 2-3 years back where an officer reported an incident and got a person suspended but because it was not in the ref's report it was overturned on appeal
Back to top Go down
Son of Sarsfields
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Athy vs Sarsfields   Athy vs Sarsfields - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 9:48 am

kelf wrote:
I agree with you that the Final should not be changed but the Chairperson and another officer visited Leixlip after the Semi and stated the Finals would be switched but he changed his mind when Sarsfields cribbed. Just in case the history is being conviently forgotton down in Roseberry !!!! [/b]

There was a good reason for Sarsfields not being too happy with any decision to move the county final of 1986. The precendent was set 3 years earlier when Sarsfields played JTB in the final. Stephen Kinneavey was the Galway fullback that year and a request was made to have the game played the week after the All Ireland Final which was rejected by the County Board. When the same situation arose again the County Board at least were consistent
Back to top Go down
tomcruise
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Athy vs Sarsfields   Athy vs Sarsfields - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 11:18 am

I was told last night that four ( 4 ) Sash plyers were sent off on Sunday last. Is that true ?
Back to top Go down
Fear An Geata
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Athy vs Sarsfields   Athy vs Sarsfields - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 12:28 pm

tomcruise wrote:
I was told last night that four ( 4 ) Sash plyers were sent off on Sunday last. Is that true ?

May relate to the incident after the final whistle when the ref was hit with the ball. He scribbled something in his notebook but didn't show a card.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Athy vs Sarsfields   Athy vs Sarsfields - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Athy vs Sarsfields
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next