Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Transfers in The GAA

Go down 
+89
Misneach
lomond
patw14
all_star
flourman
Bān go Lēir
Bad News Baba
KILL BILL
LilyWhyte
kartman
butterfingers
FreshMixer
overthebar
the big cal
totalgaa
Lily8
topcat
Admin3
ChopperDalton
ElGuerrouj
bag of white
Sam1928
stanley
fanofkildare
lilly-exile
jj
SeamusMurphy
Botch
Highball
fatherted
TheManInTheStands
standhimup
paddymartin
lollypop
gerry123
lilysavage
Big Full Back
Oneill
Cilldara_2000
GaaHead
kildaregaa365
Borderline
naked-lilly
wingback
Cassanata
lastline
SeeTheStars
KFSAM
Flamingo
shortgrass
ndog
ripvanwinkle
Fear An Geata
paulus
Admin
johnsmyth
fargo
Son of Sarsfields
if_in_doubt
murof
right half forward
hawker
SamMaguire
Ohtoohtobe
rgb
TommyKeegan
parcel
tomcruise
Loads of Pints
centreback
steviegenius
White Bridge
kelf
Taibi
Come on the Boys in Blue
lillyfan
lillyboy
Could'nt Trap Cement
Ogie
kickingking
Jimmy winning matches
Athyman
Derfil
walsheman
losthope
Frankel
Rex
bloodsub
BelieveToAchieve
93 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

Transfers in The GAA Empty
PostSubject: Transfers in The GAA   Transfers in The GAA Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 11:15 pm

Since transfers seem to be the big fear in Kildare at the moement, lets have a proper debate about it and leave the Seanie Johnson saga to one side.

There have been a huge amount of well publisised transfers of REAL KILDARE MEN between clubs in recent years. Was this ok and acceptable because of their birth place?

Back to top Go down
bloodsub
Intercounty
Intercounty
bloodsub

PostSubject: Re: Transfers in The GAA   Transfers in The GAA Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 1:35 am

Transfers do happen between clubs for a variety of reasons and I have no problem with them by and large. If someone moves to a different area, whether its for work reasons, shack up with a young one from the other side of the country or whatever, and joins his new lo
cal club then that's fair enough. Sometimes people or even families fall out with a certain club and feel they can't play with them again.

These things happen, and I don't think anyone has a problem with this but this is hugely different to what is going on with the Seanie Johnston case. A player should not be allowed change counties akin to a Premier League player in England, otherwise the game will die in weaker counties.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Transfers in The GAA   Transfers in The GAA Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 1:59 am

That last thing I wanted to do today is get into another transfer thread again but I find that post you just made Bloodsub strange when trying to justify a move in Club level and not at County level.

Firstly everyone always says the Club comes first meaning it is more important than County, so why the blase attitude to moving Club.

Secondly your point about falling out and moving to a different club is exactly the same as the Johnston situation. A club player falls out with someone so decides to spit the dummy out and move to another club, again what's the difference apart from level. But if you take the view Club is more important which most people do that surely is a worse scenario.

Basically from reading your post it's acceptable to change the club of your roots but not your County even though the circumstances are the same.

I think If you don't have a problem with this idea I can't see how you can have a problem with Johnston move.

Back to top Go down
Frankel
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Transfers in The GAA   Transfers in The GAA Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 2:03 am

transfers be it between clubs or counties are wrong and should not be happening unless the person has had to move home because of work or some other similar reason.
Back to top Go down
bloodsub
Intercounty
Intercounty
bloodsub

PostSubject: Re: Transfers in The GAA   Transfers in The GAA Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 2:47 am

I don't actually have a problem with transfers, people have a right to play football and as its an amateur sport why play with somebody that you don't want to? The problem I have with the Seanie Johnston transfer is he initially wanted to stay playing with Cavan Gaels and declare for Kildare. If he is genuinely playing with St Kevins and living in Kildare then he is entitled to play with us. If he isn't loving here then he isn't, its very simple. The big question for me is, why Kildare? 29 other counties he could have tried to join, why Kildare?
Back to top Go down
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Transfers in The GAA   Transfers in The GAA Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 2:51 am

Precisely my point Rex. I dont want to brring the Seanie Johnson affair into this thread per say, but lets discuss transfers in general. There was a time when you grew up in a town, played football in the town, married in the town, lived in the toewn and dies in the same town. And dare anybody do anything different. It seems there are still some people clinging to that view point.

There have been some transfers within this county in recent years. Of lads who arent from Cavan, Dublin, Galway or any other county. But born in Kildare and decided to transfer to other clubs in an effort to chase some glory. And people accept it and get on with it.
Is this because the lads are Kildare men and they can do what they like? Or is it because peoples clubs are benefitting from it? Or is it just pure and utter hypocrisy?

I would be willing to bet that there isnt a club in the senior championship who havent had al least 1 player transfer into their club over the last while......
Back to top Go down
losthope
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Transfers in The GAA   Transfers in The GAA Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 5:00 am

I've listened on many occasion to that old fail safe argument about the dinosaurs in Croke Park, provincial councils, county boards and clubs and I don't buy it, I have been involved in Gaa all my life as a player and club officer, I have attended meetings at club, county, provincial and national level, I have seen all types take positions within the Gaa, some liberal, some conservative, never radical and the reason for this is because the majority of its members, while they may have a gripe from time to time generally accept its rules and regulations and don't want to change it, Transfers are always a contentious issue but in the main are granted after a protracted process and that applies at all levels.

If it was easy everyone would be at it, Gaa club volunteers take great pride in their achievements be it big or small, look at the club facilities in Kildare, no other sport has this, a lot of people work very hard to put these in place and maintain them. when a player who has maybe come through the underage system in the club and availed of all that hard work reaches adult level he/she is expected to give back because that is the only reward the volunteer gets. If the player looks to move at this stage it is nearly always taken as a personal slight, That's the way it is because that's human nature, faces change but that does not
Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

PostSubject: Re: Transfers in The GAA   Transfers in The GAA Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 10:00 pm

Seanie Johnston trained with us this mornin.quality player
Back to top Go down
Derfil
Senior
Senior
Derfil

PostSubject: Re: Transfers in The GAA   Transfers in The GAA Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 10:13 pm

ManBearPig wrote:
Seanie Johnston trained with us this mornin.quality player

Thats good to hear. I hope you weren't marking him! Did he invite you to the housewarming? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Athyman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Transfers in The GAA   Transfers in The GAA Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 11:30 pm

To travel from Cavan to donadea for training shows a lot of commitment. Is he still teaching in Cavan vec school .
Back to top Go down
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Transfers in The GAA   Transfers in The GAA Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 12:48 am

Is Feeley still living in Waterford?
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Transfers in The GAA   Transfers in The GAA Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 1:21 am

BelieveToAchieve wrote:
Is Feeley still living in Waterford?
he lives in athy
Back to top Go down
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Transfers in The GAA   Transfers in The GAA Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 6:22 am

Says who? Very easy get rid of a bad taste mate, just spit!
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Transfers in The GAA   Transfers in The GAA Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 6:33 am

A lad who isn't even the second choice keeper in Dublin?

No
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Transfers in The GAA   Transfers in The GAA Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 6:39 am

Don't think it's a slur on Connolly, who was just brought onto the panel. I'd interpret it as more a reflection on how they rated Shorty and Tom Corley
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Transfers in The GAA   Transfers in The GAA Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 6:47 am

he third choice goalkeeper and has withdrawn from dublin panel will come back panel if dublin need him , he only 24 and played under roy keane in england in championship
Back to top Go down
Could'nt Trap Cement
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Transfers in The GAA   Transfers in The GAA Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 6:49 am

Makes for awful reading , i think conolly is a quality keeper anyways
Back to top Go down
lillyboy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Transfers in The GAA   Transfers in The GAA Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 7:10 am

Connolly has potential to be a top class keeper, great presence good shot stopper, probably shouldn't wear that jersey again though. If last night showed anything it's surely that we need J Doyle in the corner and maybe a certain ex Cavan forward
Back to top Go down
lillyfan
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Transfers in The GAA   Transfers in The GAA Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 7:11 am

<snip>

Edited by admin
Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

PostSubject: Re: Transfers in The GAA   Transfers in The GAA Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 7:59 am

don't believe everything ya hear
Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

PostSubject: Re: Transfers in The GAA   Transfers in The GAA Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 8:01 am

Back to top Go down
walsheman
All-Star
All-Star
walsheman

PostSubject: Re: Transfers in The GAA   Transfers in The GAA Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 8:20 am

Back to top Go down
Derfil
Senior
Senior
Derfil

PostSubject: Re: Transfers in The GAA   Transfers in The GAA Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 8:29 am

MBP

Are you saying this Supple thing isnt true?
Back to top Go down
Come on the Boys in Blue
All-Star
All-Star
Come on the Boys in Blue

PostSubject: Re: Transfers in The GAA   Transfers in The GAA Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 8:32 am

I think the keeper you have is decent enough , played well on saturday , good presents , the goals against him were unfortunate , as I think for both he was left very exposed , as for supple if true , I am surprised , but remember ink never refuses paper , maybe this is the media trying to rattle the cage , uncalled for I would say as its old news, maybe they are playing on other transfer events , I think Kildare have players very capable playing for the county within its borders without having to import players , plenty of young lads ready to step up to plate in the forseeable future . I am of the opinion it would be a bad move for the moral of the county & club players and coaches !! if import are introduced , as all the hard work done a grassroots upwards over the years will construed as been all be in vain, ok if a player comes from another county as a child and plays through the various ranks and structures, it can be more acceptable , as with my home county Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Transfers in The GAA   Transfers in The GAA Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 9:29 am

Isn't Michael Fitzsimons a Kildare man?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Transfers in The GAA   Transfers in The GAA Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Transfers in The GAA
Page 1 of 40Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next