Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend.

Go down 
+54
abl
gaaweb
Onhisboot
Horsebox
jnrwhite
walsheman
steviegenius
stanley
Loads of Pints
standhimup
gaaman
fatherted
ccm1
Could'nt Trap Cement
if_in_doubt
rgb
ElGuerrouj
Lily8
Frankel
kartman
Fear An Geata
GaaHead
parcel
TommyKeegan
kickingking
KILL BILL
the big cal
johnsmyth
lilywhites on tour
Stonecold
Admin3
Come on the Boys in Blue
lilysavage
tomcruise
overthebar
Bigfullforward
jj
Taibi
KFSAM
Big Full Back
kelf
SamMaguire
centreback
ripvanwinkle
flourman
hawker
lastline
murof
Ogie
BelieveToAchieve
Cilldara_2000
fargo
Ohtoohtobe
Rex
58 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next
AuthorMessage
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend. Empty
PostSubject: Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend.   Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 9:00 pm

I said that in another post murof. Should someone now the transfer has gone through come out and give the Kildare side of the story. Because Kildare and Johnston have been saying nothing, it has allowed a vacuum to form meaning anything can be said and since there is not rebuttal by Kildare it must be true.
The hurling idea is the great one that stands out.
First mentioned here, then it was posted on GAA board, which is like a vipers nest and they swarmed all over it. Picked up on Twitter and then it came out in the media. It is now being used in pieces like this by Fogarty to blacken our name. Talk about coming full circle. I think it's time Johnston alongside McGeeney or Carew came out and made a definitive statement once and for all.

fargo whatever you think, others can make up their minds on the two points of view.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend.   Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 9:18 pm

It's fairly shoddy that a forum joke/rumour was taken seriously by a national broadsheet.
Back to top Go down
fargo
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend.   Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 9:33 pm

To be fair Rex , what can Kildare come out and say or for that matter SJ that wouldnt be open to huge scrutiny, in this case they are cute enought to enough anything they say will be dissected and very probably investigated thoroughly .(Sure isnt one of the great defences put forward by that camp that its a matter between two clubs ). To me once SJ made his second application after the county only transfer was rejected there was no going back for him and also nothing for him to lose . Mock it all you like but this is an unprecedented attack on the GAAs ethos ,the irony here is that in my experience these things nearly always go full circle.Do you not see any potential downsides to this transfer between now and 10 years into the future ?.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend.   Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 9:58 pm

Ohtoohtobe wrote:
It's fairly shoddy that a forum joke/rumour was taken seriously by a national broadsheet.

It is Oh2, shoddy journalism passed of as fact. Problem is most people in the GAA will think he is clued in and it was something Kildare were thinking about.
It has been mentioned so much now it is deemed to be fact.
Back to top Go down
Cilldara_2000
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend.   Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 10:23 pm

Usually I'd say that I don't gaf what the media is saying about Kildare and that we, as supporters, are far too sensitive about what the media is saying about us, but in this case I agree with Rex. We should get a statement put out as soon as possible and not any of this unprofessional, informal, "phone Des Cahill" PR shite we've done in the past. A proper, well written statement, done as a press release, on behalf of the county board would do just fine.
Back to top Go down
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend.   Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend. Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 12:20 am

Why should anybody say anything? The chap had said a long time ago that he made the request to come to Kildare. He said nobody approached him & that he knew Carew & Davis from his college days.

What do you all want - it written in blood?

The chap got the transfer that he was entitled to. All the rest is only speculation and opinion.
It's very obvious now that Geezer & the panel - including our newest inter county player - want to start talking on the pitch.

As for John Fogarty. Perhaps a thread should be started here that he can quote.
Entitled, John Fogarty - F**K OFF!
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend.   Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend. Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 12:36 am

It's so funny - Seanie Johnston should say something but he was a bollix for doing an interview in the Indo in January.

John Fogarty writes something and people get upset. It was a blog so he's entitled to disagree with what has occurred. His views are similar to half the county's and half the country's. You shouldn't take it personally.

From my perspective, it's wrong to refer to a loophole. It is not a loophole. Cavan were on public record, through the PRO, to say that they didn't object. So the CCCC were in no doubt. It's not a loophole. It shouldn't have gone through and thus, it should have been like the many thousands of other transfers that have gone through unobjected to.

IF a hurling match got him qualified, it would again, only be because of the GAA's bumbling efforts to block him. How shoddy to put a rule together like that? Very.

The other thing that gets me is the suggestion that once Andrews had left Cavan, everything was grand and he should've have gone back, if he was wanted. I don't get how anyone connected with teh real world could think that. He had gone too far - he was committed and there were people who had stuck their necks out for him, were working hard for him.

And the ethos? I've said it a million times, this is not a precedent, no way. It's been happening years. This isn't even a guy choosing to leave the county team on which he is a main man to chase medals. This won't lead to a flow of similar transfers because it hasn't before.

Those who complain about the ethos... how about paying your club manager? And even if you don't, how about the other 90%? Did that stop the lad coming in to line the pitch for nothing? How about the first time a player got his expenses, mileage? The world moves on, you evolve with it. YOu mightn't always like that evolution. But the GAA will live on.

As for Kildare getting bad publicity. Honest to God, big swing. It was the six subs thing a few years ago, it's Geezer, it's finances, it's Seanie. To my mind, it is Central Council who have come out the worst of it, emerging as amateurish and mean-spirited.

Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend.   Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend. Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 12:57 am

Top post Ogie, some good points in there.

The bit of John Fogarty I'll have a line or two about that. He is I'm sure a fine Journalist and he is entitled to his own opinion. But that opinion should be based on the truth. I would accept it is a personal blog but it is under the Examiner title heading on their website. He should therefor be a little more accurate with what he is writing. He and everyone else have their own opinion on the saga, most have had a say one way or another. It just bugs me he can write that knowing the Hurling idea has no substance to it whatsoever apart from a rumour made up on a forum for a joke.

His lines about the objection are just strange. You either make an objection or you don't. I can't figure what he is trying to suggest.

With Kildare playing next week and Johnston unlikely to feature this year this story may eventually run it's course. Unfortunately as soon as he does become eligible it will kick off again.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend.   Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend. Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 1:10 am

Ogie, I'm certainly not taking anything personally, why should I? Fogarty has every right to his blog and I have every right to state that in my opinion it is a poor article. If Kildare have done nothing wrong in all of this then I believe they should state the facts and say that this is their last statement on the matter. No one is asking for an essay, just a few lines. The reason so many pundits are so vocal against the transfer is because only one side of the argument is being aired. And before you jump in BTA they dont have to do it but imo it would help bring closure to the matter.
Back to top Go down
fargo
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend.   Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend. Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 2:04 am

I will agree that was a good post ogie in general , i have to disagree on the ethos bit . It stands alone as an attack on it now matter how its put , and as seems to constantly occur here , justifying it by what othere counties are doing and what other parts of the code are being broken doesent change tthat fact .
It may not be the same in every club ,but in mine and a lot of clubs ,what sustains it are generations of the same families predominantly .Their aspiration is to play for their club and their county .
It is a pretty pure thing even in this day and age. They dont particularly like the idea of a guy who has a falling out with his manager in his own county being given the option of wearing one of those while lets be fair about it having no link of any form with our county. I would say that the reperecussions of this will run far deeper than is being seen even at CB level so far.And i include if we win an ALL Ireland in that .
Back to top Go down
lastline
Intercounty
Intercounty
lastline

PostSubject: Re: Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend.   Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend. Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 2:39 am

this thread getting outta hand. its done and dusted. transfer complete wheather you agree or disagree. we should move on and let the football do the talking. Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend.   Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend. Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 3:13 am

I still really wish this whole thing had never happened. We'd be tipping along quite nicely, completely united, no injuries apart from Leper, ready for a good Championship season.

Instead we're embroiled in this day in, day out, and are at the centre of a national media storm. We might still have a good championship but the division this has caused in Kildare and the image the county now has throughout the country (right or wrong) makes looking forward to it less enjoyable.
Back to top Go down
hawker
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend.   Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend. Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 3:57 am

Is it just me or does anyone else suspect there are a few journo's masquerading as Kildare fans on here. As the bould Dougal might say 'I'm very cynical as you know'
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend.   Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend. Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 12:00 pm

I dont understand why some kildare fans are worried what outside the county "thinks"
We all know in our heart and soul how much this kildare team have continuously worked over the past five years and the commitment these lads have put in. On occasions yes lady luck has abandonded us. It would of been easy for this kildare team to throw in the towel on occassions but no they just took it on the chin and got back up on the horse when others may have not. The steel the pride and passion and never say die attitude they show time and time again is something that as a kildare fan i am proud of. I believe we are serious contenders now and we are on the brink of doing something that was seen as an impossibility pre 2008.
So to tell you the truth I couldnt give and dont give a fiddlers what other counties think. Who cares? because I feel this team are the most hard working, honest bunch of lads in the country. They have given blood ,sweat and tears to the cause and will continue to do so and give nothing less than 110% when representing our county. We know all the hard work that has been put in by each individual from the backroom team, management and panel to get us where we are and in my eyes anything (please god) this team wins this year will be well deserved and they will be getting their just rewards.

No journalists (media)..no seanie saga or opinions outside the county on us will take away from that! It's time for kildare fans to get backbone and get back behind this team because at the end of the day it will be ONLY kildare supporters who will be only shouting on the lads come next week and throughout our campaign. They need are support 100%. Kildare football was in the dark for many a year. Many would be envious of our position so be dammed if opinions outside the county are going to effect my optisim for this years championship because imo it's only the kildare fans who support the kildare team that are the ones that trully matter.

Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend.   Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend. Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 5:03 pm

Brilliant post AWA / completely agree.

Bottom line is this transfer has been a farce from beginning to end - no doubt. But (and I believe this is the crux of most pro SJ arguements) - the GAA can not preach fair play and ethos to anybody until they actually start to practice it themselves - the organisation as a whole has been seen as a shambles throughout this whole ordeal / was this transfer against the principles and ethos of the GAA - yes without a doubt, as they were originally set out - but when these principles and ethos are so loosely defined and so infrequently applied - their values are so much devalued.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend.   Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend. Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 7:44 pm

All white alright! wrote:
I dont understand why some kildare fans are worried what outside the county "thinks"
We all know in our heart and soul how much this kildare team have continuously worked over the past five years and the commitment these lads have put in. On occasions yes lady luck has abandonded us. It would of been easy for this kildare team to throw in the towel on occassions but no they just took it on the chin and got back up on the horse when others may have not. The steel the pride and passion and never say die attitude they show time and time again is something that as a kildare fan i am proud of. I believe we are serious contenders now and we are on the brink of doing something that was seen as an impossibility pre 2008.
So to tell you the truth I couldnt give and dont give a fiddlers what other counties think. Who cares? because I feel this team are the most hard working, honest bunch of lads in the country. They have given blood ,sweat and tears to the cause and will continue to do so and give nothing less than 110% when representing our county. We know all the hard work that has been put in by each individual from the backroom team, management and panel to get us where we are and in my eyes anything (please god) this team wins this year will be well deserved and they will be getting their just rewards.

No journalists (media)..no seanie saga or opinions outside the county on us will take away from that! It's time for kildare fans to get backbone and get back behind this team because at the end of the day it will be ONLY kildare supporters who will be only shouting on the lads come next week and throughout our campaign. They need are support 100%. Kildare football was in the dark for many a year. Many would be envious of our position so be dammed if opinions outside the county are going to effect my optisim for this years championship because imo it's only the kildare fans who support the kildare team that are the ones that trully matter.

100% agree on how heroic these players are and I'm 100% behind them. I also think there's a lot of hypocrisy from people outside Kildare criticising the transfer.

None of which alters the fact that the transfer is ethically wrong and almost every Kildare person I talk to that's heavily involved in the GAA agrees.

Put it to you this way, if Seanie Johnston was joining Dublin in a similar fashion we'd be going nuts and rightly so.
Back to top Go down
ripvanwinkle
Senior
Senior
ripvanwinkle

PostSubject: Re: Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend.   Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend. Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 8:00 pm

this is not going to affect the players ot team at all as far as i can see. the transfer is done, they shouldnt say one word about it and rightly so because no matter what is said there will be holes picked in it from all angles. this team is as closely knit as they come, we see this from senior players like sweeney who throughout this whole transfer has been supportive with the likelyhood johnston is going to push him further down the pecking order, yes we have been ticking along nicely but this can only enhance our prospects and now with the speculation of will it wont it gone everyone can move on.
Back to top Go down
fargo
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend.   Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend. Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 8:26 pm

Thats my experience as well Ohtoo , to a man almost every club administrator ive spoken to about the transfer ,and this is right throughout the county is opposed to this . And its nothing to do with what other counties think of us .If i was to surmise its to do with having full faith in your own branch of the GAA ie your County Board . To be able to look anyone from any sport in the eye and say were pert of an organisation that do our business in a certain way ,we uphold certain values . I think inevitably a portion of that is gone as an option for people involved in Kildare GAA circles now. Why this hasnt been debated more vocally i dont know , a lot of it was kept away from actual CB meetings . That is why my instinct is that it will come out down the line irrrespective of events over the summer and Autumn.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend.   Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend. Icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2012 12:34 am

fargo wrote:
I will agree that was a good post ogie in general , i have to disagree on the ethos bit . It stands alone as an attack on it now matter how its put , and as seems to constantly occur here , justifying it by what othere counties are doing and what other parts of the code are being broken doesent change tthat fact .
It may not be the same in every club ,but in mine and a lot of clubs ,what sustains it are generations of the same families predominantly .Their aspiration is to play for their club and their county .
It is a pretty pure thing even in this day and age. They dont particularly like the idea of a guy who has a falling out with his manager in his own county being given the option of wearing one of those while lets be fair about it having no link of any form with our county. I would say that the reperecussions of this will run far deeper than is being seen even at CB level so far.And i include if we win an ALL Ireland in that .

Is payment to managers not an attack on the ethos? Or has that part of the ethos been conveniently forgotten about. I think it's hypocritical to pick and choose and if the power-brokers, the very top table in the country pick and choose, what do you expect everywhere else? Of course you don't have to like it and you're entitled to argue against it.

I too have spoken to many administrators - most would have been against the transfer at the start. A number of them are delighted he has gotten it now.

And I know there are people here are sick of this, in which case, what can I say but 'stop reading'. Just having a debate and we're branching out. (Please don't kill the thread, it's just a debate).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend.   Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend. Icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2012 12:39 am

Oh to be would be slightly uncomfortable with it but my opinion would also depend on the circumstances at which a player would want to move to Dublin. To tell you the truth I dont think the dubs would heavily criticise their own. The dubs have always had a " Dubs against the world" attitude so I dont think they would let any scrunity they would come in for effect them in the slightest.
Whether people agree with it or not the transfer has been completed now. Its done so people that were uncomfortable with it will just have to support this team 100% as a whole or 95% by not supporting Seanie but in my opinion it is wrong to single out a player when he has been working just as hard as any of the others for the kildare cause. Seanie has been accepted into the camp as JD pointed out and others on the panel are backing him. What I was trying to say is that in my eyes the transfer wouldnt take away from any achievement this kildare team might achieve this year. They deserve all that is/could be coming to them.
Time to move on now and unite and support the lads for next week.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend.   Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend. Icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2012 12:55 am

Seanie will need all the support he can get from Kildare fans. The abuse he will suffer from opposing players and fans will be terrible. I hope he has the temperament to handle it.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend.   Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend. Icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2012 1:27 am

Ogie wrote:
Is payment to managers not an attack on the ethos? Or has that part of the ethos been conveniently forgotten about. I think it's hypocritical to pick and choose and if the power-brokers, the very top table in the country pick and choose, what do you expect everywhere else? Of course you don't have to like it and you're entitled to argue against it.

I too have spoken to many administrators - most would have been against the transfer at the start. A number of them are delighted he has gotten it now.

And I know there are people here are sick of this, in which case, what can I say but 'stop reading'. Just having a debate and we're branching out. (Please don't kill the thread, it's just a debate).

Ogie I agree there's huge hypocrisy and I've pointed it out myself but your argument basically adds up to: "Two wrongs make a right."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend.   Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend. Icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2012 2:28 am

Yes he will get a bit of stick at the start and if and when he debuts but sure thats even more of a reason to get behind the team. Of course the opposition are going to have a problem sure they would anyways. Im sure the lads would appreciate the kildare fans accepting seanie as an equal

Why any kildare fan gives a hoot what Gaa circles or what outside the county thinks ill never know. These are more than likely the people that have an opinion that we are the nearly men and those who called us "whingers" last year. Time to get a hard neck lads.

Back to top Go down
fargo
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend.   Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend. Icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2012 2:46 am

It is Ogie ,and it cant really be defended , except by saying that it became so widespread that it was impossible to stop . But it too started with a single club or county at some stage going against the ethos just as Kildare have now in a different aspect of things . As for mocking the various comittees and my own club has fallen foul of them in the not too distant past , dont forget that they usually have to take one persons word against the other . There is a small aspect of investigation allowed but mainly they depend on the honour of the protagonists. Predominantly they depend on each unit of the GAA upholding its values .
Back to top Go down
centreback
All-Star
All-Star
centreback

PostSubject: Re: Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend.   Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend. Icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2012 3:12 am

fargo wrote:

i`d like to talk about the repercussions of free flow transfers fargo. what do you see been the big problem if this did happen? would you see a problem in the local soccer scene like in my local area there are 5 teams and players move on regular basis from teams, ive never heard much complaining from the soccer tribes in the town so would this be so bad for the gaa?

Last edited by centreback on Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend.   Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Transfers in The GAA: Temporarily locked until the weekend.
Page 1 of 19Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next