Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Managers

Go down 
+18
Taibi
lillyboy
overthebar
jim
ripvanwinkle
the big cal
Horsebox
bob12
fargo
Ogie
Big Full Back
Athyman
topcat
egocentric
kickingking
Loads of Pints
SeamusMurphy
BelieveToAchieve
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

New Managers Empty
PostSubject: New Managers   New Managers Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 1:27 am

With the 2012 season over for Kildare football. What are peoples thoughts on the various management teams?

The seniors have had a good ariring on other threads, but what about the minors and U/21's?
Any thoughts or suggestions?

Or is there likely to be any changes in these positions at all?
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

New Managers Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Managers   New Managers Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 1:45 am

I would be very surprised if Brian Murphy didnt get the u 21 job. I know he had little success over his 4 year tenure, but he has worked with all of the players who will be available for the u 21 team, and thats important IMO.
Declan Cryan for the Minor job??, He has the experience, Maynooth winning a Leinster intermediate, and the VS Team won Leinster this Year also, and lost out narrowly in the All Ireland Final. I saw that VS Team play a few times, and while they were limited, they did play a nice brand of football.
Whoever the CB go for, I hope they dont delay, and get it sorted asap.
Back to top Go down
Loads of Pints
All-Star
All-Star
Loads of Pints

New Managers Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Managers   New Managers Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 1:46 am

would say Declan Cryan must be in with a shout of getting a Minor or U21 job after his success with the VEC teams and Maynooth going well.

Maybe Rainbow will want to start managing rather than selecting? Hendys name was bandied about last year. Maybe even Dermot if he decides to call it a day!

Im sure Geezer will have a big say in this if he stays on.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

New Managers Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Managers   New Managers Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 1:50 am

Geezer should have no say if he stays on. Look how that turned out with the u 21s.
Back to top Go down
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

New Managers Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Managers   New Managers Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 2:04 am

Have to agree here. Its time the CB laid down some ground rules as far as the U/21's go.
Yes we will prob have a cross over of players between panels. But let the young lads concentrate on their own level first.

I would like the idea of Cryan managing the minors, he seems to have a good way about him.
Is Declan McGovern managing Kilcullen this year? He might be a good lad for the 21's. He's had success in a lot of his recent jobs!
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

New Managers Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Managers   New Managers Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 2:10 am

SeamusMurphy wrote:
Geezer should have no say if he stays on. Look how that turned out with the u 21s.

+1
Back to top Go down
Loads of Pints
All-Star
All-Star
Loads of Pints

New Managers Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Managers   New Managers Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 2:30 am

he has to have at least some input. Gilroy has with Mick Galvin and Jack O'Connor had with Eamonn Fitzmaurice
Back to top Go down
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

New Managers Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Managers   New Managers Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 2:38 am

Theres a difference between input and control. I would imagine the strength and conditions to slot in with what Geezer & co are doing. Obviously scaled to younger players requirements.

But when it comes to playing matches and picking teams for U/21 competition, I dont think Geezer should have any input.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

New Managers Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Managers   New Managers Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 2:50 am

+1 ?

The Manager should be allowed pick / look after their own team. Their shouldnt be puppets controlled by the Senior Managers.
Players should most definitly be allowed to concentrate on the u 21s.
Back to top Go down
Loads of Pints
All-Star
All-Star
Loads of Pints

New Managers Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Managers   New Managers Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 2:58 am

no your right, team selection should come down to the minor and u21 management team but yeah most counties worth their salt now will have their underage teams prepare the same physically and tacticly as their senior teams to reap the rewards at senior level.
Back to top Go down
egocentric
Junior A
Junior A

New Managers Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Managers   New Managers Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 4:35 am

Think Geezers time is up.

Doubt the players will vote him back in.

Lack of football cuteness. Obvious for any clever minded observer to see.
Back to top Go down
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

New Managers Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Managers   New Managers Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 5:05 am

And you think the players will have any say in matters relating to managemt? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
egocentric
Junior A
Junior A

New Managers Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Managers   New Managers Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 5:10 am

Of course they will.
Back to top Go down
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

New Managers Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Managers   New Managers Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 6:16 am

Ur either a member of the Fossett family or a windup merchant!
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

New Managers Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Managers   New Managers Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 7:25 am

In fairness Geezer said he will stay unless the players tell him otherwise, so I suppose they will have a say, none of these players will want Geezer to leave, they all seem to worship the ground he walks on, he has brought them to a level which none of them had ever achieved previously.

The question then is do the players feel that he has brought them as far as he can and if so will they actually tell him they want to move in a different direction, as I have said above if it is left to the players we will have the same manager next year no doubt about it.
Back to top Go down
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

New Managers Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Managers   New Managers Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 7:30 am

Lads there is NO WAY a senior county team will be allowed decid or dictate who manages them.
I could understand in a small way, if a couple of senior panelists were consulted. But to leave the decision up to the players is a rediculous thought & suggestion.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

New Managers Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Managers   New Managers Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 7:41 am

U think the CB would get rid of him if players wanted him to stay on?? No chance, players would threaten to go on strike then similar to the Cork players some years ago.
Back to top Go down
Athyman
All-Star
All-Star

New Managers Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Managers   New Managers Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 7:48 am

Bta I think geezer has stated that it is up to the players whether they still buy into his methods only they can decide, if the Armagh job was still vacant would he still be here I very much doubt it.
Back to top Go down
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

New Managers Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Managers   New Managers Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 7:52 am

Geezer says a lot to the media vultures, do you believe everything he says to them?

Anyway - I don't consider the senior position up for grabs. It's the minor &
U/21 positions I was taking about.

What about Tom Cribben for the U/21's?
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

New Managers Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Managers   New Managers Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 8:13 am

Didn't Geezer block an approch to Cribben earlier this year? I reckon it could be Damian Hendy, he seemed to have an involvement with the seniors last weekend and I wouldn't be surprised if he was chosen to take them on next year.
Back to top Go down
Athyman
All-Star
All-Star

New Managers Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Managers   New Managers Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 8:49 am

I was talking to some f the under 21 last year and they liked hendy, he should be given a go as he understands what it takes to be a county footballer.
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star
Big Full Back

New Managers Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Managers   New Managers Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 9:13 am

Was told Cribben was more than keen to take on the U-21 job but he was told he couldn't get unlimited access to the whole panel. The U-21 championship is run off over a very short period. After seeing the display in Gracefield and the line up only Eoin Doyle, Fionn Dowling and Fogarty got any run with the seniors and that was limited time over the whole year. I can see the merits of inclusion with the seniors but I think U-21's should get priority in that age group as the championship is always over early in the year.
Back to top Go down
egocentric
Junior A
Junior A

New Managers Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Managers   New Managers Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 10:30 am

Player power is stronger than ye think. If players really didnt want Geezer to stay on i'm sure he would be gone. Obviously this isnt the case but if they didnt I really doubt he wouldnt be there.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

New Managers Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Managers   New Managers Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 10:15 pm

It's not that the players will literally decide. If Geezer gets told or a vibe from players that they want a change, or haven't the will to continue with him or his methods, he'll walk. So in that sense, the players will have a say in terms of buy-in. If there's no buy-in, the manager has to go, no matter who is right or wrong.

As regards teh county board, they should not be dictated to by anyone. Taking advice is sensible, being dictated to is weak and stupid, as their decisions reflect on themselves. John McMahon has already said that as far as he's concerned, if Geezer wants to stay on, there won't be a change.

But Geezer should not have a say in the U21s, if he does, he's obviously going to do what's best for him and the seniors. And the county board has to look outside its narrow view of the seniors, not to mind county teams in general.
Back to top Go down
fargo
Senior
Senior

New Managers Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Managers   New Managers Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 12:02 am

Do you think that you can judge the vibe aspect in cold hard in the cold hard terms required here though Ogie with both parties so close to the subject ? .Is there not an element of throwing yourself at the players mercy in all this .
It has to be contrasted in management with Mcguiness and his ruthless treatment of Cassidy for example .
Its obviously an amateur game so the level of dictatorship you can bring to it has to be limited in that you need buy in from the players .
Theres a point at which it becomes too cosy and youre compromised surely ? .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New Managers Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Managers   New Managers Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Managers
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next