Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

National Football League 2013

Go down 
+52
the young lad
maccie
Could'nt Trap Cement
Cilldara_2000
walsheman
lilywhites on tour
Loads of Pints
Sam1928
lilysavage
Pin High
le hit in
SeamusMurphy
ripvanwinkle
jim
stanley
tomoneillandhissisteranne
lomond
Misneach
bk 1
midfieldmaestro
Ger McNally
kelf
carburyman
bob12
bag of white
jj
Onhisboot
johnsmyth
Flamingo
Ohtoohtobe
Ogie
Stonecold
tomcruise
Kildare98
Lily8
murof
Jimmy winning matches
hawker
kickingking
Rex
BelieveToAchieve
topcat
MD
Highball
TommyKeegan
Taibi
kildaregaa365
Fear An Geata
steviegenius
lillyboy
shoutitout
KILL BILL
56 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

National Football League 2013 - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: National Football League 2013   National Football League 2013 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 4:33 am

I was Alt J in the Olympia last night and who should I find myself beside in the bar afterwards only MD Macauley. Jim Gavin obviously has the lads on a strict diet of experimental indie. Geezer needs to start pumping out those Wild Beasts albums.
Back to top Go down
Carburyhill
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: National Football League 2013   National Football League 2013 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2013 11:26 pm

I think what steviegenius is saying is that there should be more respect for the clubs I don't think it has notting got to do with being anti McGeeney or not that just a silly stupid statement to make.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: National Football League 2013   National Football League 2013 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 4:40 am

How or why is clubs having limited access to county players McGeeney's fault.

As kickingking and I have already pointed out club managers and McGeeney are going to serve their own interests. It's up to the county board to strike that balance.

Why were the games fixed for Sunday when Saturday was an option.

Also with what seems to be a large portion of players actually playing for their clubs,maybe some of the players themselves opted not to play.
Back to top Go down
lollypop
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: National Football League 2013   National Football League 2013 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 6:17 am

Heard a rumour during the week , mind you it was third hand when i got it but a senior player on the panel asked lads not to play for their clubs last weekend . Due to the risk of picking up injuries so close to the offaly game ,and i doubt that was done without geezers say so . Maybe thats just the way it is now at inter county level
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: National Football League 2013   National Football League 2013 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 7:13 am

Lollypop in all fairness do you really believe that? pigs fly too.
Back to top Go down
lollypop
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: National Football League 2013   National Football League 2013 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 8:47 am

[quote="whiteknight"]Lollypop in all fairness do you really believe that? pigs fly too.[/quote not gonna drop names but lets just say i was dissapointed when i heard the name . If you choose not to believe it thats not a problem .
Back to top Go down
Bad News Baba
All-Star
All-Star
Bad News Baba

PostSubject: Re: National Football League 2013   National Football League 2013 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 9:00 pm

It really is the season for it. Can't get your way, start spreading malicious rumors. A great support we have.

Now "supporters" are on another forum posting negative rumours. Can't argue your corner here, post over there hoping for a better reaction. Congratulations Captain Scarlet / steviegenius you are embarrassing yourself and your County.
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: National Football League 2013   National Football League 2013 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 9:53 pm

So if that rumor is true the County players will not be playing for there clubs in the championship this weekend Smile

Baba how did I embarrass myself? There is more to life than your county, clubs have a hard enough time as it is trying to fields teams etc. You sound like you have no club to support? and you jump on the Kildare band wagon fair play to you there is plenty more like you in Kildare.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: National Football League 2013   National Football League 2013 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 10:35 pm

steviegenius wrote:
So if that rumor is true the County players will not be playing for there clubs in the championship this weekend Smile

Baba how did I embarrass myself? There is more to life than your county, clubs have a hard enough time as it is trying to fields teams etc. You sound like you have no club to support? and you jump on the Kildare band wagon fair play to you there is plenty more like you in Kildare.

Do you think you are better than Baba because he has no club to support stevie (he may or may not hav a club).

Does this make your opinions on the availability of county players to clubs more relevant that his/hers?

steviegenius wrote:
there is plenty more like you in Kildare.

Could you elaborate on this condesending remark.

Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: National Football League 2013   National Football League 2013 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 10:54 pm

I think belonging to a club does make your opinion on the availability of county players to their clubs more valid, if you have no club then it surely doesn't really matter to you whether they play with their clubs or not?

On the rumour, I did hear that as well, I heard the evening of the game, whether it is people spreading idle gossip to discredit McGeeney or is indeed the truth is up to people to make their own minds up on.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: National Football League 2013   National Football League 2013 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 11:03 pm

topcat wrote:
I think belonging to a club does make your opinion on the availability of county players to their clubs more valid, if you have no club then it surely doesn't really matter to you whether they play with their clubs or not?

On the rumour, I did hear that as well, I heard the evening of the game, whether it is people spreading idle gossip to discredit McGeeney or is indeed the truth is up to people to make their own minds up on.

What if you're from a club with no county players, are their opinions not worth a $hite either?
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: National Football League 2013   National Football League 2013 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 11:07 pm

No because said club will/should have ambition to have county players in the future. Some clubs/people within those clubs will take a short sighted view on the matter and deem it not important as to whether clubs have access to their players at the moment but will be the same ones giving out in 5/6 years when they don't have access to the star player that they have helped develop into a footballer good enough to play with the county team.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: National Football League 2013   National Football League 2013 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 11:13 pm

topcat wrote:
No because said club will/should have ambition to have county players in the future. Some clubs/people within those clubs will take a short sighted view on the matter and deem it not important as to whether clubs have access to their players at the moment but will be the same ones giving out in 5/6 years when they don't have access to the star player that they have helped develop into a footballer good enough to play with the county team.

Helped is the appropriate word here. Kildare development squads are going to be a huge benefit to a lot of players development in the future also.

It's much much easier to blame McGeeney for the availability of County players.

Some of the stuff he gets charged with on here would make Jesus weep.

Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: National Football League 2013   National Football League 2013 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 11:28 pm

It is not Mcgeeney's fault, he is merely taking advantage of a weak county board who will let him dictate as to when and where the players can play with the clubs, if I was the county manager and I could get away with it of course I would do the same as would every other manager in the country.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: National Football League 2013   National Football League 2013 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 12:35 am

Just curious what members think about this question.
Would county players be better footballers if they were allowed to play more league matches for their clubs. Personally I think they would for the following reasons; they would be playing a real match and not a training match. It would be a break from the monotony of training, they wouldn't be facing the same defenders or forwards every night, (cant be much fun for Smith or Seanie to be marked by Peter Kelly most nights.) League matches are not played at the same intensity as championship games and the risk of injury should be less imo. They would also be playing with their friends that they grew up with and helping to improve the younger players. It was mentioned on this forum last year that the players were fed up with the training and had gone stale so maybe this might help alleviate that.
PS this is not an Anti McGeeney rant as the county board dont seem to have a major problem with the current setup.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: National Football League 2013   National Football League 2013 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 12:51 am

murof wrote:
Just curious what members think about this question.
Would county players be better footballers if they were allowed to play more league matches for their clubs. Personally I think they would for the following reasons; they would be playing a real match and not a training match. It would be a break from the monotony of training, they wouldn't be facing the same defenders or forwards every night, (cant be much fun for Smith or Seanie to be marked by Peter Kelly most nights.) League matches are not played at the same intensity as championship games and the risk of injury should be less imo. They would also be playing with their friends that they grew up with and helping to improve the younger players. It was mentioned on this forum last year that the players were fed up with the training and had gone stale so maybe this might help alleviate that.
PS this is not an Anti McGeeney rant as the county board dont seem to have a major problem with the current setup.

This is a fair question. I think myself that playing in more competitive games, whatever the level, would be more beneficial. McGeeney clearly doesn't. BUT John Crofton didn't either and was quoted publicly as saying as much. The issue of players' availability was a huge issue back then and it was before. This is the world of inter-county. It's how it is. As I said, I think they'd probably be better off playing a few more games and getting a a lot of hits - being freshened up by the odd time in a new environment. But county managers don't tend to agree.

I agree that a manager will get away with anything that he can because his responsibility, ultimately, is to his team. It's up to his bosses to make the rules and draw the parameters from which he can work from.
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: National Football League 2013   National Football League 2013 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 1:26 am

Depends on the level the club team plays at, if its the best team playing the best team well then it can only be of benefit to all. But if its one of the better teams playing a crowd of sodbusters well then its a waste of time. So how many top seeded "better" teams do we have in Kildare, what is their representation on the Kildare panel and how often would they play each other each year..............

I remember watching Leper in a club game and he stood out by a country mile and ran rings around the opposition, was that of benefit to him and his preparations, I would think not......
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: National Football League 2013   National Football League 2013 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 2:04 am

A strong club scene and a strong county team should go hand in hand. They have mutual benefits for one another.

The next generation of players will be produced by the clubs. The more competitive and well organised club football is, the better. County players playing more often with their clubs not only benefits the individual players, it should also benefit the collective. They will help raise the standard of football, those they are playing with and those playing in opposition.

The club scene also benefits from a strong county team. The GAA are competing against the Premiership, Heineken Cup, Playstations and a whole host of other things for the hearts and minds of young people. The more they see the Kildare team playing in Croke Park or on television, the more likely they are to want to go down to their local GAA club at the weekend because they want to be the next Johnny Doyle or the next Mick Foley. A lot of the current panel would have been that age growing up in the late nineties and probably dreamed of being the next Glenn Ryan or the next Niall Buckley.

Wrapping the county players up in cotton wool is short sighted and counter productive. It's far from an issue that is exclusive to Kildare but there is no reason that it couldn't be solved if the right heads were bashed together!
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: National Football League 2013   National Football League 2013 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 2:17 am

kickingking wrote:
A strong club scene and a strong county team should go hand in hand. They have mutual benefits for one another.
Don't necessarily agree, looking at previous AI club champion winners St, Brigids Roscommon, Crossmaglen Rovers Armagh (back in early 2000's yeah ok but lately no), St. Galls Antrim, Salthill Galway, Corofin Galway, Balinderry Derry, Baltinglass Wicklow aren't from inter county power houses so having a strong club scene never translated into a strong county scene for them.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: National Football League 2013   National Football League 2013 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 2:22 am

Stonecold wrote:
kickingking wrote:
Don't necessarily agree, looking at previous AI club champion winners St, Brigids Roscommon, Crossmaglen Rovers Armagh (back in early 2000's yeah ok but lately no), St. Galls Antrim, Salthill Galway, Corofin Galway, Balinderry Derry, Baltinglass Wicklow aren't from inter county power houses so having a strong club scene never translated into a strong county scene for them.

Do they come from counties where there is a strong competitive club scene though?

Just because Kildare clubs are not winning All Ireland's does not mean the club scene is not strong and competitive. 7 different clubs have won the Kildare senior football championship in the last decade. It's much better that there are 5 or 6 really good club teams in a county than one completely dominant club team like Crossmaglen in Armagh or Brigids in Roscommon.

The more competitive the club football scene is, and the more young lads we can get out playing for their local teams, the better.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: National Football League 2013   National Football League 2013 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 2:27 am

kickingking wrote:

The next generation of players will be produced by the clubs. The more competitive and well organised club football is, the better. County players playing more often with their clubs not only benefits the individual players, it should also benefit the collective. They will help raise the standard of football, those they are playing with and those playing in opposition.

The club scene also benefits from a strong county team. The GAA are competing against the Premiership, Heineken Cup, Playstations and a whole host of other things for the hearts and minds of young people. The more they see the Kildare team playing in Croke Park or on television, the more likely they are to want to go down to their local GAA club at the weekend because they want to be the next Johnny Doyle or the next Mick Foley. A lot of the current panel would have been that age growing up in the late nineties and probably dreamed of being the next Glenn Ryan or the next Niall Buckley.

Wrapping the county players up in cotton wool is short sighted and counter productive. It's far from an issue that is exclusive to Kildare but there is no reason that it couldn't be solved if the right heads were bashed together!

I would say that Kildare has one of the most competitive Club scenes in the country. Intermediate Leinster Club Champions in Ballymore, Monasterevin, Maynooth, Confey in recent years.

Senior hasn't been dominated by any one club with Athy, Larries, Sarsfield, Celbridge and Moorefield all winning in recent times.

A good spread of players from throughout the County on the Senior team and the u21 Leinster Champions. Lets not overstate our alleged problems here kickingking.
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: National Football League 2013   National Football League 2013 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 2:34 am

Heisenberg your telling me that you dont know people that dont give a sh/t about the clubs but would follow Kildare to the ends of the earth ye right.

We had a round of league games 2 weeks ago the players were supposed to be released to there clubs they trained that Sunday morning also every day leading up to that weekend. We have the club championship next weekend what is wrong with the players not having one days training and getting a good club game to work on things with there clubs. So yes I do blame the county board & the management.
It is also wrong If it happened for any player to tell another player not to play with your club/county The players should make there own choices if they want to or not.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: National Football League 2013   National Football League 2013 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 2:35 am

Heisenberg wrote:
kickingking wrote:

I would say that Kildare has one of the most competitive Club scenes in the country. Intermediate Leinster Club Champions in Ballymore, Monasterevin, Maynooth, Confey in recent years.

Senior hasn't been dominated by any one club with Athy, Larries, Sarsfield, Celbridge and Moorefield all winning in recent times.

A good spread of players from throughout the County on the Senior team and the u21 Leinster Champions. Lets not overstate our alleged problems here kickingking.

I agree with all of that but then surely it will be beneficial to all if the county lads see more football with their clubs considering the local scene is so competitive. We have great advantages here in Kildare over so much of the rest of the country. There is so much untapped potential in the county. The population growth in the north east of the county in particular could have untold benefits in the future if it's carefully harnessed.

The better organised our club scene becomes, the greater chance the county team has of being successful - that's the point I'm trying to make. The current situation benefits no one in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: National Football League 2013   National Football League 2013 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 9:23 am

Agree with your last few posts KK. The only man on here talking a bit of sense.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: National Football League 2013   National Football League 2013 - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 7:42 pm

Taibi wrote:
Agree with your last few posts KK. The only man on here talking a bit of sense.

Is Conway injured. He hasn't featured much for Kildare recently, not even on the bench?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: National Football League 2013   National Football League 2013 - Page 11 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

National Football League 2013
Page 11 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next