Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

International Rules

Go down 
+20
losthope
standhimup
jj
TommyKeegan
fatherted
Jimmy winning matches
Ahlethimout
bob12
Ogie
naked-lilly
micky murphy
walsheman
LillieLad
Moorefieldbhoy
SeamusMurphy
Bad News Baba
OutTheGap
Westside
flourman
swingfly
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
OutTheGap
All-Star
All-Star

International Rules - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: International Rules   International Rules - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 22, 2013 8:31 pm

Australia only had 21 players the other night when 23 are allowed (15 plus 8 interchange) so it shows how seriously they are taking it.
Also I thought it was very mean of the Tyrone county board to fix an important game for Sean Cavanagh's club on the afternoon of the first test, considering the service he has given to Tyrone and the fact that the cup is in memory of Cormac McAnallen, one of their own.
The pity is that the Irish players genuinely consider it a great honour to play for their country, and the supporters would turn up to watch a good contest, but it's hard to see it continuing.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: International Rules   International Rules - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 23, 2013 12:47 am

I think the reaction over them going on the piss and - SHOCK HORROR - playing loud music is bizarre. Not a word about it when it's the Irish soccer or rugby team... it's just the media wanting to stick the knife in, without understanding the Australian culture, particularly the bonding session. I don't think that is relevant at all.

It is a symptom of the media wanting to close the lid on the series and I do think the series is gone. I say that having been a supporter for many years. And a big reason for it is that the Aussies went into their shells too much as a result of the whining from Ireland. A contact sport with no contact sucks. And it's impacting on club structures too, which is unforgivable.

I was always a supporter of the series because the Irish players generally were in favour and I've always been a players' man. I was looking forward to this year because I expected much more from the indigenous, who have a mercurial skill-set. But they have been completely unprepared, putting in about five days of preparation. Two weeks would probably have been enough for them to win the series. I think the GAA can invest their money, time and expertise better in developing the actually GAA brand in Europe, America and indeed Australia. More than 350 players, the majority non-Irish, played in the European club finals in Athlone over the weekend.

It was laudable to try to find some representative outlet for the top players - Railway Cup over these two weekends would be just fine.
Back to top Go down
standhimup
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: International Rules   International Rules - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 23, 2013 4:14 am

JD in the squad for the weekend. It'll be great to see him in a Irish jersey .
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: International Rules   International Rules - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 23, 2013 4:28 am

Ogie wrote:
I think the reaction over them going on the piss and - SHOCK HORROR - playing loud music is bizarre. Not a word about it when it's the Irish soccer or rugby team... it's just the media wanting to stick the knife in, without understanding the Australian culture, particularly the bonding session. I don't think that is relevant at all.

It is a symptom of the media wanting to close the lid on the series and I do think the series is gone. I say that having been a supporter for many years. And a big reason for it is that the Aussies went into their shells too much as a result of the whining from Ireland. A contact sport with no contact sucks. And it's impacting on club structures too, which is unforgivable.

I was always a supporter of the series because the Irish players generally were in favour and I've always been a players' man. I was looking forward to this year because I expected much more from the indigenous, who have a mercurial skill-set. But they have been completely unprepared, putting in about five days of preparation. Two weeks would probably have been enough for them to win the series. I think the GAA can invest their money, time and expertise better in developing the actually GAA brand in Europe, America and indeed Australia. More than 350 players, the majority non-Irish, played in the European club finals in Athlone over the weekend.

It was laudable to try to find some representative outlet for the top players - Railway Cup over these two weekends would be just fine.
Can't agree. Don't think it's shock horror, just proof that these lads couldn't care less and are here on a holiday. They are perfectly entitled to that holiday, just don't waste the GAA's very sparse time and the fan's very sparse money. Whatever way Australian's bond is their own business but no sports team who go abroad for two games in a week put in shag all training, then go heavy on the beer twice in the two days after being inept in the first game. They clearly don't care, so why should the GAA. The game is crap, the intensity is zero, the opposition are here for a stag and the GAA must pull the plug.
Back to top Go down
losthope
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: International Rules   International Rules - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 23, 2013 6:50 am

I really don't give a f--k what the aussies do, if they have no pride in themselves, well so much for their macho image. My only interest is our team and our players, if Ireland are good enough to kick the shit out of them, then kick the shit out of them. It will be a pity when it ends because there will be no outlet for Gaa players to wear their national colours, I am quite sure that JD will take great pride stepping out on the field and I will take great pride watching him and his team mates, no matter how bad it is its still far ahead of that FAI crap

Ogie you touched on something there regarding the European club finals, that's the first I heard of this and I agree that this is the road the Gaa should be looking at.

Its a long time since the railway cup had the fancy of the Irish public and I think its day is well done but there needs to be something.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: International Rules   International Rules - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 23, 2013 12:03 pm

ballyboy wrote:
I really don't give a f--k what the aussies do, if they have no pride in themselves, well so much for their macho image. My only interest is our team and our players, if Ireland are good enough to kick the shit out of them, then kick the shit out of them. It will be a pity when it ends because there will be no outlet for Gaa players to wear their national colours, I am quite sure that JD will take great pride stepping out on the field and I will take great pride watching him and his team mates, no matter how bad it is its still far ahead of that FAI crap

Ogie you touched on something there regarding the European club finals, that's the first I heard of this and I agree that this is the road the Gaa should be looking at.

Its a long time since the railway cup had the fancy of the Irish public and I think its day is well done but there needs to be something.  
European GAA scene huge as is Asian and getting bigger. Why not put money in getting these continental teams to intercounty or club quarter-final standard and paying for a trip home rather than paying for a bunch of Aussie pissheads every so often. They've no self-respect so why should we respect them. All this rubbish of first aboriginal team in way over 100 years? Where's the pride and will to win. It's a piss up.
Back to top Go down
Highball
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: International Rules   International Rules - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 23, 2013 6:24 pm

Excellent idea re Europe Asian combination...
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star
Big Full Back

PostSubject: Re: International Rules   International Rules - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 23, 2013 7:53 pm

Nice to see JD in the squad. He deserves to represent his country...
Back to top Go down
bob12
All-Star
All-Star
bob12

PostSubject: Re: International Rules   International Rules - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 23, 2013 8:10 pm

yes BFB well done to JD proud moment for him , his family and club
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: International Rules   International Rules - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 23, 2013 10:07 pm

The Aussies are being poked this week... just as they were after the first test by the Irish media in 2006... there'll be a reaction Saturday, although I don't expect it to be as cataclysmic as seven years ago. There will be more intensity though, which to be fair, wouldn't be hard.

Aussies are big into their drinking on bonding sessions at professional level - it's just a fact and that needs to be understood. It happens in rugby, rugby league, AFL etc.

I don't disagree with the notion that they're disinterested though. The lack of preparation for the first test was really surprising. I expected much more pride from the indigenous to be honest. It was a huge opportunity for them. O'Loughlin maintains they were taken by surprise last week. We'll see.

People saying it used to be entertaining when the Aussies sent full-strength teams. It's many, many, many years since they sent full-strength teams.

Anyway, I've already said that I think it's time for it to go - but I think the Irish have to take a lot of the blame for it as our bleating and threatening has made the Aussies shitless to put in a hit. And a contact sport without contact means you might as well be playing marbles. So when you've a nothing game impacting on a club programme, it is unforgivable.

Here's my article on European GAA that appeared in today's Examiner. There is unbelievable stuff happening out there. I like the Euro-Asian idea. European champions Guernsey Gaels appeared in the Leinster JFC for the first time this year. They actually lead Fenagh (Carlow) by five points at half time but ran out of steam. But it's what's happening with teams made up completely are almost completely of non-Irish players that is amazing.

http://www.daraghoconchuir.ie/blog.php?id=2680
Back to top Go down
losthope
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: International Rules   International Rules - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2013 7:39 am

Good read that, for me its obviously the way forward. The nearest comparison I have seen is the National Feile competition, We've been involved in this for the last 3-4 years and I couldn't speak highly enough of it, its a ready made template, something could be tried under a similar format.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: International Rules   International Rules - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2013 8:26 pm

Going to this tonight with my boy - for one reason only - might be the last chance to see the great man from Allenwood in Croke Park.

Hopefully not but you never know.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: International Rules   International Rules - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2013 9:10 pm

I hope that's not the case Crofter. I think he is still our most inspirational player and no disrespect to leper but I don't think the captaincy should have been taken off him last year.

The very best of luck tonight jd
Back to top Go down
OutTheGap
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: International Rules   International Rules - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2013 9:11 pm

Best of luck to Johnny tonight. It's a great honour for him to play for Ireland and well deserved too. He is a credit to his club and county.

He still has the competitive edge so I'd be hopeful he'll keep playing for Kildare for a while yet.
http://www.hoganstand.com/Kildare/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=203483
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: International Rules   International Rules - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2013 10:17 pm

That sounds like as if he's gonna retire Crying or Very sad definitely heading tonight anyway hope its not his last game tonight the man is a hero.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: International Rules   International Rules - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2013 11:42 pm

jim wrote:
I hope that's not the case Crofter. I think he is still our most inspirational player and no disrespect to leper but I don't think the captaincy should have been taken off him last year.

The very best of luck tonight jd
Id agree with that jim.. I doubt JD would retire if He can still walk I love you 
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: International Rules   International Rules - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 27, 2013 6:47 am

please get rid of this series
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: International Rules   International Rules - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 27, 2013 8:10 am

Johnny was class, well done JD
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: International Rules   International Rules - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 27, 2013 9:11 am

The man's a legend but I thought he looked terribly off the pace of the modern top footballer there tonight. Great to see him get his first appearance for Ireland but he can't resist the ravages of time forever. We need some new heroes to step up next year.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: International Rules   International Rules - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 28, 2013 10:38 pm

So much for a reaction from the Aussies!! Well done JD.
Back to top Go down
fatherted
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: International Rules   International Rules - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 28, 2013 11:26 pm

Thought when there was a couple on instances of handbags early on that there'd be a bit of heart in them but it wasn't to be.

Couldn't get over how much physically bigger we were. I remember when i was younger the aussies were giants compared to us in a lot of positions. The game has moved on and evolved
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: International Rules   International Rules - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 3:39 am

I know the Aussies were percieved as being weak this Term.. However I would say the advances made by the top GAA Players from when we first started playing these Rules, especially in the area of S & C is immense.. I would love to see it continuing, but only if the Aussies are prepared to put out their best Players.. They just dont bully us anymore, like they used to.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: International Rules   International Rules - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

International Rules
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2