Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kildare/Tyrone

Go down 
+4
Stonecold
Dinny Breen
Rex
rgb
8 posters
AuthorMessage
rgb
All-Star
All-Star
rgb

Kildare/Tyrone Empty
PostSubject: Kildare/Tyrone   Kildare/Tyrone Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 9:45 pm

It hit me the way home Satureday and stonecold alluded to it in another thread too.

There are major similarities between the styles of the two teams.

1. Savage workrate on and off the ball. Tackling blocking hassling. Breaking ball around the middle.
2. Positions are very fluid. Callaghan is the proof of this-centreback v Leitrim, wingforward today. JD making blocks on his own 13m line.
3. Everyone attacks when in possession. Bolton had a point, might have had two more.Hugh's point, Kelly's runs, Mac's runs, like Ricey and Jordan.
4. The reverse is also true- everyone defends when not in possession. Paudie, JD, Flynner.
5. Good spread of scorers, not just one or two. The more football I see, the more I realise the imortance of this. Last week, Jimmers was the threat-against Derry it was Leper. Hopefully somebody else next week.

We arguably have a better midfield than Tyrone and they definitely have a stronger all-round forward line but the similarities are there.

Discuss.........
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

Kildare/Tyrone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare/Tyrone   Kildare/Tyrone Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 9:49 pm

They are similar Styles but Tyrone have been there and done it again and again and again. I think we should just say it's Kildare's style and try and don't compare us to the Likes of Tyrone.

But I see where you are coming from.
Back to top Go down

Kildare/Tyrone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare/Tyrone   Kildare/Tyrone Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 9:53 pm

Agree, although where we lack is in defence.

Justin McMahon,Ryan McMenamin, Conor Gormley, Philip Jordon in my opinion 4 of the best defenders in the country. Maybe cynical sometimes, but they do whatever is needed to win.
But they didnt become this over night, it was years of playing at that top that made them this.

Hugh McGrillen,Peter Kelly,Bolton, Flanagan hopefully will get to that level.
Back to top Go down
Dinny Breen
Senior
Senior
Dinny Breen

Kildare/Tyrone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare/Tyrone   Kildare/Tyrone Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 9:55 pm

Was at the Ulster final yesterday, Tyrone's engery and work-rate is fantastic but what they that have tha Kildare don't is presence of mind and they never panic and every player is comfortable on the ball, a lot of that comes from experience and Kildare at the moment are still a little bit panicky but are getting there.
Back to top Go down
rgb
All-Star
All-Star
rgb

Kildare/Tyrone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare/Tyrone   Kildare/Tyrone Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 10:06 pm

JME, what's wrong with comparing us to the "likes of Tyrone"? Obviously, they are far better at what they do than Kildare are. I was merely noting the similarities in style.

Jayzus, if I thought we were to get half as far as Tyrone have travelled, I would be a happy happy man.
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

Kildare/Tyrone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare/Tyrone   Kildare/Tyrone Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 10:07 pm

I think we are 2 players short of being every bit as good as them all over the pitch. We may have the two players though so here's hoping.
Back to top Go down
Loads of Pints
All-Star
All-Star
Loads of Pints

Kildare/Tyrone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare/Tyrone   Kildare/Tyrone Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 10:13 pm

one thing we do lack is consistency. its hard for a developing team to have this and it took tyrone a few years to achieve this also.

however another similarity with kildare and tyrone is that their success came on the back of success achieved by at underage. kildares current team is made up predominantly of lads who have tasted success at u21 level in the past 5 or 6 years. the tyrone team that made the breakthrough in 03 was similar in that much of the team had won minor all irelands a few years previously. so every reason to be optimistic looking forward
Back to top Go down

Kildare/Tyrone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare/Tyrone   Kildare/Tyrone Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 10:17 pm

Also Mickey Harte is managing Tyrone the last 9 seasons, since 2002.

You dont development into a team playing to a winning system by changing your manager every couple of years.
Back to top Go down
lomond
Intercounty
Intercounty

Kildare/Tyrone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare/Tyrone   Kildare/Tyrone Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 11:34 pm

One area I think we are weak when compared to the top teams is players scoring more than once from play in a tight game an example last year against Tyrone none of our forwards got more than one score from play apart from Johnny doyle.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

Kildare/Tyrone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare/Tyrone   Kildare/Tyrone Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 11:35 pm

There is nothing wrong with comparing us to Tyrone, but Kildare are building a style all of their own.

The likes comment is a compliment if you're wondering there rgb. As in the likes of a modern day three time All Ireland winner.
Back to top Go down
peile
Intercounty
Intercounty
peile

Kildare/Tyrone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare/Tyrone   Kildare/Tyrone Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 11:39 pm

fionnmccool wrote:
Also Mickey Harte is managing Tyrone the last 9 seasons, since 2002.

You dont development into a team playing to a winning system by changing your manager every couple of years.

Yeah, look at the Rossies, bet out the gate in last years championship, relegated in league...manager and team had faith in each other, no sackings .....connacht champions this year !!!
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

Kildare/Tyrone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare/Tyrone   Kildare/Tyrone Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 12:23 am

Kerry & Tyrone still set the standard for every other team in the land to reach (Cork are not that far off but they can't be put in that bracket until they win an All-Ireland).

They have great talent all over the field but what sets them apart is their tempremant and experience. They simply know from instinct how to win big games in Croke Park. Kildare still have a long way to go to reach that kind of level and it will only come from competing against the big teams in the big games.

Arguably Kildare played much better football than Tyrone in last year's quarter-final but Tyrone's extra bit of nous and experience got them home. They all make the right decisions at the right times. It's a similar story with Kerry - they won games in the qualifiers last year despite playing very poorly. The likes of Tomás Ó Sé and Declan O'Sullivan never seem to panic and always come up with the goods when their team really needs them.

Kildare only have two players you could put in that category yet (JD & Dermot). They'll always come up with the goods when the chips are down. The likes of Flats, Flynner, Jimmers and Leper are getting there but they have to do it consistently in the big games.
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

Kildare/Tyrone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare/Tyrone   Kildare/Tyrone Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 2:04 am

I've always argued the point that teams need a few "hard" men to win All-Irelands, Kerry still have a few (Tomas O'Sea, Galvin etc) as do Tyrone (Ricey, McMahons, Gormley). Cork have zero and are too nice to win an All-Ireland
Back to top Go down

Kildare/Tyrone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare/Tyrone   Kildare/Tyrone Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 2:11 am

Thing is stonecold our lads get a yellow card for a cynical challenge
And they are thugs.
You can't win. Kerry adore Galvin and back him to the last, I'd say one of
Our lads would be hung out to dry.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

Kildare/Tyrone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare/Tyrone   Kildare/Tyrone Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 2:12 am

The likes of Canty and Noel O'Leary are well able to mix it.

I think their lack of a real top class scoring forward will ultimately cost them. A guy that is always good for at least 4 or 5 points from play. Kerry have Cooper and Declan O'Sullivan (Donaghy and Galvin also well capable too). Tyrone have O'Neill, Mulligan and Cavanagh.

The likes of Sheehan, O'Neill and Goulding for Cork all have potential but they are very young and don't really have the big game pedigree that the Kerry and Tyrone lads have.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Kildare/Tyrone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare/Tyrone   Kildare/Tyrone Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kildare/Tyrone
Page 1 of 1