Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Next manager: Suggestions.

Go down 
+75
fargo
Big Full Back
clonmullin
Dido
johnsmyth
kelf
Highball
Flyer
lilly-exile
Lilywhite forever
Onhisboot
BelieveToAchieve
All down the line
BigG
squires1
shortgrass1928
Son of Sarsfields
lomond
if_in_doubt
white boy
KILL BILL
totalgaa
Borderline
Botch
Rex
OutTheGap
moatesports
reichenhall
Ois
Shergar
shortgrass
ixus
Dinny Breen
tpos
Cilldara_2000
lilysavage
jimmers
bag of white
Cassanata
jj
lily4fr
Kildare98
milltownmary
inexile
billylilly
jim
greyfox28
flourman
Radley Park
Frankel
Cill Dara Mick
Loads of Pints
bob12
lilywhites on tour
Taibi
Sam1928
lillyboy
Stonecold
micky murphy
ripvanwinkle
Flamingo
topcat
TommyKeegan
SeamusMurphy
tomoneillandhissisteranne
steviegenius
murof
Gaa1928
Ogie
kildaregaa365
Lillydreams
Lily8
LillieLad
Ohtoohtobe
Bad News Baba
79 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 14 ... 27  Next
AuthorMessage
Bad News Baba
All-Star
All-Star
Bad News Baba

Next manager: Suggestions. Empty
PostSubject: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. Icon_minitime1st March 2015, 9:50 pm

With Ryan a dead duck and no chance he'll be here next year who can we turn to.

McStay would be a decent shout.
Not many Kildare men putting their hand up.
J.D and Dermot are to close to this group to manage them.
Jack O Connor is the dream, but he won't waste his time.

Who ever it is the CB should be looking now. Not in November.
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. Icon_minitime1st March 2015, 10:01 pm

cian o neill
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. Icon_minitime1st March 2015, 10:05 pm

Cian O'Neill obviously the strongest candidate in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. Icon_minitime1st March 2015, 10:05 pm

I would take anyone that has a bit of passion and puts the pride back in the jersey obviously need a bit of tactical nous aswell. McStay would be good with Glen Ryan and Brian Murphy both involved as selectors.
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. Icon_minitime1st March 2015, 10:08 pm

LillieLad wrote:
I would take anyone that has a bit of passion and puts the pride back in the jersey obviously need a bit of tactical nous aswell. McStay would be good with Glen Ryan and Brian Murphy both involved as selectors.
cannot see glen coming in as a number 2
Back to top Go down
Lily8
All-Star
All-Star
Lily8

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. Icon_minitime1st March 2015, 10:22 pm

Would like to see McStay coming to Kildare. Read Shane Curran's book and he speaks very very highly of him. Wouldn't mind giving Glenn Ryan a chance either. He did well with Longford. If he comes it'll be as the number one man though I'd say.
Back to top Go down
Bad News Baba
All-Star
All-Star
Bad News Baba

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. Icon_minitime1st March 2015, 10:31 pm

Forgot about O Neill, would he bother going from Kerry to us. I highly doubt it.
Back to top Go down
Lillydreams
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. Icon_minitime1st March 2015, 10:35 pm

O Neill would be perfect to get in as a trainer, couldn't see him leaving Kerry even though he did leave Tipperary hurlers after winning the all Ireland!
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. Icon_minitime1st March 2015, 10:44 pm

Any of the above at this stage would likely be a marked improvement.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. Icon_minitime1st March 2015, 10:46 pm

Think O'Neill might be tempted by the fact it's his home county and he'd be manager instead of trainer. Far more likely than Jack O'Connor anyway (how would we pay for someone like that?)
We might struggle to pay for someone like McStay come to think of it. Also, I don't really understand why McStay is near the top of all these lists all of a sudden on the basis of one club All-Ireland. Doesn't prove to me he'd be a top-class inter-county manager.
I would have gone for Glenn a few years ago but that ship seems to have sailed.

Anyway barring a serious turnaround in results I'd say this could be Jason Ryan's last season and O'Neill is the only clear improvement I can see out there. Remains to be seen whether he'd make the transition from trainer to manager but worth a shot.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. Icon_minitime1st March 2015, 10:48 pm

What makes you think G Ryan's ship has sailed O2B?
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. Icon_minitime1st March 2015, 10:57 pm

Crofter wrote:
What makes you think G Ryan's ship has sailed O2B?

Ah just that he's a bit older now. He also seems to have rubbed people in Kildare GAA up the wrong way. I don't think that should make a difference but players and officials seem to think it does.

I get slated for this by people that don't like him but I'd love to have seen him take over in 2008. One of my favourite days as a Kildare supporter was the U21 win over Dublin that year. The scoreline might have been close but we kicked them off the pitch, a performance full of pride and passion. Chalky destroyed Diarmuid Connolly until he had no ideas other than to get sent off. Jim Gavin was Dublin manager.

Seven years on and Gavin is an All-Ireland winning manager while Glenn wasn't even worthy of a shot. White's career never happened and Connolly is one of the best footballers in the country. Several of the Dublin team we beat that day have two All-Ireland medals and we haven't a Leinster senior medal between us.

Extremely depressing. But of course Glenn is from Kildare and would have done the job for free. Couldn't possibly have been good enough for us when we can scramble the money together for a quick fix.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. Icon_minitime1st March 2015, 11:46 pm

My guess is that our next manager will be Bryan Murphy provided a good showing with the u21s this year. The vast majority of the panel would have played under him at minor level and speak very highly of him. You would expect he would command the respect of the panel at the very least. Having agreed to take over the u21s after being minor manager from 2009-2013, there must be a strong possibility that he has designs on a crack at the senior gig at some point. He would also have had Cian O'Neill on board before with the minors so I suppose there could be a chance that they could work together again sometime in the future.

A quick glance at the budgetary figures reveals the extent to which county squad expenses have been pared back so it is fanciful to expect another big outside name. I would have liked to see Glenn Ryan get an opportunity at some stage but the mere mention of that possibility seems to bring some Kildare people out in a rash for some reason.

Back to top Go down
Lillydreams
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. Icon_minitime2nd March 2015, 12:00 am

Mcstay wouldn't be bad choice imo, would have a lot to prove being so publicly snubbed for the mayo job I think he would have a chip on his shoulder and bring plenty of passion
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. Icon_minitime2nd March 2015, 8:51 am

Cian O'Neill would have to be your first choice. He fits the bill as a coach, motivator and he's a native. I'd have him miles over McStay - he has achieved much more.

The budgetary issue is a big one though. Kildare can't fork out the cash for a manager but not just that, they cannot fork out to prepare the senior team like they used to. I think last year, the budget was a third of Kerry's and it's less again this year. So that will immediately reduce your field.

But you should ask guys anyway. I'd have O'Neill first if possible, over Jack O'Connor and definitely over McStay.
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. Icon_minitime2nd March 2015, 10:10 am

I far as I am aware Cian is now working in Cork so I don't think its a runner that he could give the time invovled allowing for the distance between Kildare and Cork.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. Icon_minitime2nd March 2015, 11:14 am

A lot of people here rate O'Neil highly but has he ever managed a team? How much say has he into the tactics used on the day?
Remember it took McGeeney a while to get the hang of management and he would have looked a natural choice to adapt quickly to new role given his leadership qualities on the pitch.
Cant understand the antipathy to Glen Ryan on here, no player in my time watching the game gave more to Kildare in terms of leadership on the pitch and he came closer to winning an underage AI for Kildare than anyone since with a team of just a few top quality players.
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. Icon_minitime2nd March 2015, 12:21 pm

I would give Glenn Ryan a shot with probably Earley and Rainbow as Selectors. Someone said you cant give Glenn Ryan the job because it would rub some people up the wrong way maybe thats whats needed. I think they would bring a bit of leadership and a bit of determination back to the group.
Back to top Go down
tomoneillandhissisteranne
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. Icon_minitime2nd March 2015, 3:59 pm

Passion is the first thing we need. It's not the only thing but it is the first thing.....
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. Icon_minitime2nd March 2015, 4:28 pm

Jez Im in shock.. I was touting Glen pre Jason for many a while, but the mere suggestion had People (certain) having Anurisms.. and I dont agree that He wouldnt have an interes still.
I would give Murphy a couple of Years with the U21s and maybe a bit Role under Glen to learn His Trade at Adult level.. Lacey is another who should be involved at some level imo.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. Icon_minitime2nd March 2015, 7:02 pm

To be fair, Murphy has been involved at senior level. He was a selector way back in 2005. I had it in my head that he was selector under two different managers but I know it wasn't with Geezer so I'm wondering if he was in with Crofton. Maybe it was only the once.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. Icon_minitime2nd March 2015, 7:41 pm

Mixer Condon.
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. Icon_minitime2nd March 2015, 7:58 pm

fone wrote:
LillieLad wrote:
cannot see glen coming in as a number 2
No harm in asking or maybe someone like Dermot.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. Icon_minitime2nd March 2015, 9:35 pm

More seriously, Tony McEntee. Record outstanding and his Examiner columns gave the greatest insight and understand of GAA tactics I've ever heard or read. Seriously impressive character. Would love him in Kildare.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. Icon_minitime2nd March 2015, 10:00 pm

Managing Brigids in Dublin at the moment I believe, I suggested him as a replacement to McGeeney and I agree he would be a great choice. Whether he would have any interest in coaching Kildare is a different thing altogether!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Next manager: Suggestions.   Next manager: Suggestions. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Next manager: Suggestions.
Page 1 of 27Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 14 ... 27  Next