Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kildare v Sligo

Go down 
+27
Lily8
Ohtoohtobe
Xavi
Cilldara_2000
inexile
naked-lilly
kildaregaa365
jimmers
TommyKeegan
lilysavage
steviegenius
Frankel
flourman
Flamingo
murof
Jimmy winning matches
LillieLad
Kildare98
lillyboy
jim
topcat
kickingking
SeamusMurphy
OutTheGap
Rex
Gaa1928
tomoneillandhissisteranne
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
inexile
Senior
Senior

Kildare v Sligo - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Sligo   Kildare v Sligo - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2016 9:10 pm

Apropos League Sunday. Did anybody else think that whelan's grin was sly and smug after Dermot mentioned that Kildare would definitely get promoted? Maybe I should find something else to get annoyed about. But I do find him obnoxious when it comes his commentaries on Kildare
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Sligo   Kildare v Sligo - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2016 9:24 pm

Of course, after winning the opening four games, I had to open my big mouth and say we'd "definitely" get promoted. Will I ever learn?!

Did Cian O'Neill do an interview with KFM today? Just wondering if anyone caught it and heard his take...
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Sligo   Kildare v Sligo - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2016 9:25 pm

From afar, it looks to me like we fielded a very weak team - the type we'd put out in the O'Byrne Cup - and we were punished for it. We aren't good enough to take the piss in this division and get away with it.
Back to top Go down
Lily8
All-Star
All-Star
Lily8

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Sligo   Kildare v Sligo - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2016 9:30 pm

Yea he did an interview on KFM today. He basically said he's still trying out different players. They've started 29 different players in the league so far. It's not just about winning one match he's thinking long term so wants to get a good look at players. He said they were skating on thin ice the last few matches and players aren't happy with how they are performing but the mistakes they're making are all things they can fix. He wasn't happy with the referee (but didn't blame him for the loss) and said it took them three attempts to get a sub on as there was something wrong with the linesman's radio thing which was unacceptable. Bolton has a re-occurring back injury so needed to come off. He was asked about the U21 players and said they are fully released to the U21 squad for now as it's important they play with them and it would be great for Kildare GAA in general if they could win something. That was the general gist of it.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Sligo   Kildare v Sligo - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2016 9:43 pm

Thanks for that Lily8, good update.

To be fair, it is good to try out players. Looking at the likes of Tyrell, O'Connor, Byrne and a few others who've come in - I suppose they've all had one or two good moments, but have any of them really put their hand up? Not for me they haven't. And Tyrell got sent off today. I actually thought the refereeing was an improvement on last week (not hard admittedly) and was a far less of a factor today.

In general, the quality of the players he's trying out isn't as high as those we have coming through from U21 and minor. That's just my opinion of course.

Certain deficiencies are fixable alright but for me a big concern would have to be the way we were opened up today. The league is nearly over - good luck trying to fix that in two weeks before you play the likes of Kerry or Dublin!

I agree with him about the U21s. However, personally, I'd be benching a few lads next day out and moving closer to the championship team. There's a core of players there who've had plenty of chances without delivering the goods.
Back to top Go down
lillyboy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Sligo   Kildare v Sligo - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2016 9:46 pm

Terribly disappointing result but on balance we're lucky to have won two of the last three. Disappointed also with our apparent lack of strength in depth. However on balance I think now is the time to try players, if good enough we'll still qualify and everyone will have had a fair shot. Glad also that the 21st are left alone , it will stand to them in the long run.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Sligo   Kildare v Sligo - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2016 9:48 pm

Anyone play well today?
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Sligo   Kildare v Sligo - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2016 10:02 pm

Ohtoohtobe wrote:
Anyone play well today?

Not in any sustained manner. Fitz, Ollie, Feely, N.Kelly, Moolick had their moments but all of them mixed the good with the bad.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Sligo   Kildare v Sligo - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2016 10:04 pm

Well, let's see...

Donnellan had a nightmare.

Collectively, the defence were pulled all over the place, particularly in the second half, although Ollie Lyons made a few trademark surging runs. Sick of saying it, but his attacking potential would be much better realised from half back. There's a reason Dublin didn't play Jack McCaffrey in the corner.

Midfield - Feely and Moolick both put their shoulder to the wheel, and Moolick kicked a couple of points, although neither was as dominant as they can be. They were both out on their feet by the end - a situation not helped by Donnellan's kickouts and their sledgehammer subtlety.

Of the forwards who started, Niall Kelly is the one elite level player. As always, O'Neill and Callaghan gave their all, although it is pretty alarming that we're still relying on them. This is 2016 not 2010!

After that I am running out of players.
Back to top Go down
Lily8
All-Star
All-Star
Lily8

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Sligo   Kildare v Sligo - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2016 10:05 pm

Ohtoohtobe wrote:
Anyone play well today?

Was happy with Moolick's performance considering he's only coming back. Lyons and Feely did well enough. Niall Kelly got two good points near the end. Thought McNally, O'Donoghue and Johnny Byrne made a difference when they came on.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Sligo   Kildare v Sligo - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2016 10:05 pm

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
Thanks for that Lily8, good update.

To be fair, it is good to try out players. Looking at the likes of Tyrell, O'Connor, Byrne and a few others who've come in - I suppose they've all had one or two good moments, but have any of them really put their hand up? Not for me they haven't. And Tyrell got sent off today. I actually thought the refereeing was an improvement on last week (not hard admittedly) and was a far less of a factor today.

In general, the quality of the players he's trying out isn't as high as those we have coming through from U21 and minor. That's just my opinion of course.

Certain deficiencies are fixable alright but for me a big concern would have to be the way we were opened up today. The league is nearly over - good luck trying to fix that in two weeks before you play the likes of Kerry or Dublin!

I agree with him about the U21s. However, personally, I'd be benching a few lads next day out and moving closer to the championship team. There's a core of players there who've had plenty of chances without delivering the goods.

Mine too. That's the big worry. Not sure there's that much talent in the under-21s to make a huge difference for a year or two either although if they could even bring some pace in attack it would help. Today was pedestrian and depressing. Not sure how we managed to score 2-14.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Sligo   Kildare v Sligo - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2016 10:06 pm

Thanks lads. HG maybe the kickout thing is predetermined? Maybe he's not allowed go short?
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Sligo   Kildare v Sligo - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2016 10:19 pm

While we do have players to come back like Cribbin, Flynn and Doyle, the general lack of urgency today was concerning. O'Neill's comments after last week were clearly designed to light a fire under a few lads but we never looked like a team who were up for it at any stage today.

We do lack quality in certain areas which is forgivable but we were totally outworked today by a fairly limited outfit. The selections in the next two games are going to tell a lot.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Sligo   Kildare v Sligo - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2016 10:21 pm

The strength in depth has to be a concern, because expecting a few lads to come in from U21 and save the day - it's not going to happen. They're only going to be finding their feet at senior level and it could take a couple of years for them to properly bed in. We scored two 2-14 thanks to a couple of fortuitous goals!

The kick-outs in the second half... if Cluxton has made it into an artform, Donnellan displayed philistine tendencies. He's all warhead, little or no guidance system. Feely and Moolick had scud missiles raining down on them and weren't making much head way. In fairness, I've seen him do much better in the past so maybe just a bad day at the office.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Sligo   Kildare v Sligo - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2016 10:22 pm

Thanks lads. HG maybe the kickout thing is predetermined? Maybe he's not allowed go short?
Back to top Go down
OutTheGap
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Sligo   Kildare v Sligo - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2016 10:24 pm

Ohtoohtobe wrote:
From afar, it looks to me like we fielded a very weak team - the type we'd put out in the O'Byrne Cup - and we were punished for it. We aren't good enough to take the piss in this division and get away with it.

I'd agree with this. We had Adam Tyrell, Eanna O'Connor and Matty Byrne in the half-forward line and this is way too experimental for me. Especially with O'Flaherty and McNally on the bench. I also thought it was a mistake to play Fergal Conway on the wing. He looked out of sorts there and it took ages to change it. I also thought it was strange to move Hyland to centre-back after doing well at full-back recently.

The selection seemed to take Sligo for granted. The priority should be to get out of this division as quickly as possible.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Sligo   Kildare v Sligo - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2016 10:31 pm

Trying to look on the bright side the manager has been very fair in giving players a second or even third chance. We saw enough today that several players are not up to the standard required but if he had not tried them many of us would have been complaining later in the summer that the best players in the county did not get a fair trial.
On the bright side a bit longer, we look to have found some good prospects in Feely, Byrne and O'Donoghue. Hyland and Flynn are back on board and look as if they will have good seasons and there are some very good footballers like Cribben, Doyle and the U21's to come back.
Better to take a loss now and learn about what players can and cant do rather than bring them on in Croke Park later in the summer and be disappointed.
Not wishing to restart the TOC debate again but he would have given us an option to beat the blanket defence today. We really need to find a ball winning full forward as we are so pedestrian in getting the ball forward. And at the other end our tackling is abysmal and has to improve before the summer.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Sligo   Kildare v Sligo - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2016 11:46 pm

I'm just curious as to what u21s are likely to nail down a permanent place before the championship ?.
There's a lot of mention here of "the u21s to come in / back in". . I wouldn't say flynn, Houli or sherry are certain to start.. or am I wrong ?.
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Sligo   Kildare v Sligo - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2016 11:53 pm

SeamusMurphy wrote:
I'm just curious as to what u21s are likely to nail down a permanent place before the championship  ?.
There's a lot of mention here of "the u21s to come in / back in". . I wouldn't say flynn, Houli or sherry are certain to start.. or am I wrong  ?.

On the basis of what I saw in the last two games I'd say two of those three you named are certain starters.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Sligo   Kildare v Sligo - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2016 12:26 am

Just from listening to O Neills interview, I got the impression he was happier with what he saw this week than what he saw against Limerick. Maybe I am picking it up wrong.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Sligo   Kildare v Sligo - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2016 12:37 am

Anyway regardless I'm happy enough the u21s are being left to concentrate on Wednesday night.
Back to top Go down
tomoneillandhissisteranne
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Sligo   Kildare v Sligo - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2016 8:42 am

murof wrote:

Not wishing to restart the TOC debate again but he would have given us an option to beat the blanket defence today. We really need to find a ball winning full forward as we are so pedestrian in getting the ball forward.
I'd be with you on that murof
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Sligo   Kildare v Sligo - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2016 10:57 am

Ohtoohtobe wrote:

He kicked one kick out directly to Roli on the line, Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Sligo   Kildare v Sligo - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2016 11:02 am

Gaa1928 wrote:

I think this game will be tough enough.

Thought as much, I know that we are still experimenting but I feel that we should have selected a stronger team to ensure promotion first and foremost.   We should have known that Niall and Roli would have Sligo up for this game.
Back to top Go down
Dido
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Sligo   Kildare v Sligo - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2016 11:59 am

Gaa1928 wrote:
Ohtoohtobe wrote:

He kicked one kick out directly to Roli on the line, Laughing Laughing Laughing

The lack of kickout strategy has been Kildares big downfall over the last couple of years.

Donnellan and Corley are top class Keepers but when it comes to there kickouts they lack the requirements to implement the proper kick-out (they look like a forty foot trailer turning when giving a quick kick out). They seem not to be confident in standing back and waiting for a space to develop to give a quick ball,
of course you have to practice in this area and i dont know if Kildare are doing this in training.
I did a few stats on games in the league and we are down as low as the 50s% mark and only as high as 63% on possession of our OWN kickouts...
9/10s of the law is possession in winning matches and Kildare need to develop better tactics in this area and get this to 70%-85% of winning our own kick outs......
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Sligo   Kildare v Sligo - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kildare v Sligo
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next