Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

General GAA - AOB

Go down 
+74
Sorrynotsorry
totalgaa
Curraghplains
tomoneillandhissisteranne
bite the pillow
Pkmie
DONTPULLOUT
Cassanata
moatesports
lillyboy
Flamingo
Onechance
Sam1928
Hang sangich
Fear An Geata
Bulldog
realmoore
Jimmy winning matches
bk 1
Lillywhite88
centreback
TheHulkHoganCowardFund
intheback
standhimup
bloodsub
parcel
sarsno1
Hurlerbehindtheditch
OutTheGap
topcat
hawker
Horsebox
LillieLad
learmus
steviegenius
lomond
All_right_in_white
White Bridge
whiteknight
bigball
Loads of Pints
Botch
jim
Lily8
if_in_doubt
murof
Caprea
kelf
shortgrass
flourman
lilywhites on tour
jj
Big Full Back
Ohtoohtobe
Xavi
Gaa1928
micky murphy
Shergar
Cilldara_2000
Highball
TommyKeegan
kickingking
Ogie
lilysavage
Taibi
MD
jimmers
Dinny Breen
reichenhall
kildaregaa365
SeamusMurphy
Kildare98
rob11
Rex
78 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Loads of Pints
All-Star
All-Star
Loads of Pints

General GAA - AOB - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2017 3:34 am

One quick look at the GPA website and i found the following under their FAQ icon on their homepage

https://gaelicplayers.com/FAQ.aspx

No wonder they say journalism is dying Rolling Eyes

Having said that, i accept your point about the GAA losing sight over what it was set up to do. Although, whether its members like it or not, the GAA is now a multi million euro commercial engine. If it stayed truly loyal to the concept of volunteerism and amateur in its most purist sense, would we now have thousands of state of the art facilities littered around the country for children and communities of all ages to use? I very much doubt it..

Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2017 4:31 am

kelf wrote:
I have to disagree on one point..

The original goal for the GPA when O'Neill was its first "spokesman" was professionalism, ie pay for play........

Now that was rowed back a bit  but Dermot was clear in his interview: he will push for just that if his consultations with his members show they want it....... and with the "Player Grants" they are part-way there already...
If that's the way they go well fine  but I wont be contributing.......
I have to disagree with you there pay for play was never on the agenda. Most people assumed it was but it never was.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2017 5:31 am

Loads of Pints wrote:
One quick look at the GPA website and i found the following under their FAQ icon on their homepage

https://gaelicplayers.com/FAQ.aspx

No wonder they say journalism is dying Rolling Eyes

Having said that, i accept your point about the GAA losing sight over what it was set up to do. Although, whether its members like it or not, the GAA is now a multi million euro commercial engine. If it stayed truly loyal to the concept of volunteerism and amateur in its most purist sense, would we now have thousands of state of the art facilities littered around the country for children and communities of all ages to use? I very much doubt it..

Not sure what that tells me. The answer to a question nobody asked really. No specifics other than 10 full-time staff and programmes I know exist, many of them really great.

I'd just like to know what they are going to do with €9m-plus from this year on exactly which comes from both the taxpayer and the run-of-the-mill GAA fan? Don't think that's unreasonable question and actually think it would help GPA cause to give out very specific accounts of their future spending plans, indeed only reason I can think of that they wouldn't is people won't like the reality.

Nor do I think it's unreasonable to ask, having reached their initial set of goals with their initial funding, what do they need so much more for and what is their next set of goals that the 99.5 per cent are funding for the benefit of the 0.5 per cent?

Once we've these answers, then we can judge, without them that's a lot of money and unanswered questions which combined create fair skepticism and speculation.
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2017 9:00 am

jim wrote:
kelf wrote:
I have to disagree on one point..

The original goal for the GPA when O'Neill was its first "spokesman" was professionalism, ie pay for play........

Now that was rowed back a bit  but Dermot was clear in his interview: he will push for just that if his consultations with his members show they want it....... and with the "Player Grants" they are part-way there already...
If that's the way they go well fine  but I wont be contributing.......
I have to disagree with you there pay for play was never on the agenda.  Most people assumed it was but it never was.

Well you can disagree all you like but O'Neill, the GPA Founder, had it as one of, if not his main aim.......... Dessie & co played it down when they got involved and eventually fell into line with the GAA rule in order to get money from the GAA......

Dermot has not resurrected the subject or when it was raised did not rule it out but said he would consult all county squads and do as they want........
Back to top Go down
Loads of Pints
All-Star
All-Star
Loads of Pints

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2017 10:34 am

Tommy, if you read through that page there are links to fairly comprehensive financial and governance policies, where it outlines that 'GPA accounts are independently audited and are also available on Companies Registration Office'
Would be interesting to pursue this if one had the time or interest. Its a pity they dont publicise this information more as its generally the focus of much of the criticism they receive
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2017 8:35 pm

Spot on Loads of pints. I think a lot of people have a gripe with where the money is going in the GPA.
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star
Big Full Back

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2017 8:44 pm

Hear on the Sports news that the 25,000 stadium at the Spawell Templeogue is on the cards after Dublin County Board agreed a €9m fee to purchase the lands. So is this Leinster's second stadium??? I'd say Kildare will never get new grounds
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2017 10:30 pm

This really is comical -

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/821780029310898178

".. with Dublin's approval"
Back to top Go down
bigball
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2017 10:41 pm

Back to top Go down
whiteknight
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2017 8:22 pm

I am not one to give out about Dublin GAA in general. I actually think the current team play football the right way and are just a fabulous team at the height of their powers and not a group of professionals ruining the game. However I am not sure what's going on with the national games center at Abbotstown. Duffy says that the Dublin senior team use it for weights - I wonder why is this allowed? Does anyone know if Kildare or other teams have used this center? What is the criteria for using the center? As one of the comments said, if you are a member of any GAA club are you entitled to use the facility? http://www.the42.ie/gaa-abbotstown-paraic-duffy-3203986-Jan2017/
Back to top Go down
Caprea
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2017 8:58 pm

whiteknight wrote:
What is the criteria for using the center? As one of the comments said, if you are a member of any GAA club are you entitled to use the facility? http://www.the42.ie/gaa-abbotstown-paraic-duffy-3203986-Jan2017/

Good question. I would say you need to be an elite athlete and there would be a criteria like being funded by the National Sports Council. I don't think any club team would be allowed to avail of it but I would say any county team would be allowed.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2017 9:00 pm

Duffy is basically pissing down our backs and telling us it's raining. It was built for Dublin GAA. The GAA has no shame in its financial doping of Dublin. The rest of Leinster are gradually turning their backs on it as can be seen by the dropping attendances.
The GAA have systematically and deliberately promoted Dublin GAA at the expense of the other Leinster Counties. Now there is no Leinster championship but the name.
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2017 9:05 pm

Apparently the Dubs kitted out the gym with 50k worth of weights etc. They were using it and had aspirations on it long term. Apparently they had a disagreement with Leinster Council over access rights and pulled all the gym gear and gave it to a couple of the clubs near there. Id say the GAA are reluctant to be seen to be favouring the Dubs given the furore over the excessive funding and the new project on southside. It is a fine facility though. Someone should get use out of it. Kilkenny V Antrim hurling challenges wont ensure it gets used adequately. Id imagine that the Dubs will get it eventually.
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2017 9:13 pm

Someone told me Naas played a game on one of the pitches recently among themselves. Heard also that the Dubs use put eh equipment in but did not hear they removed it. Safe to say that Kildare clubs will get little use out of it with the amount of clubs in and around Dublin. Fancy it to be booked out all the time.
Back to top Go down
White Bridge
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2017 9:28 pm

Every club recently received a link to an online booking form for booking the pitches in Abbotstown.......any club can book it and there does be plenty of availability with number of pitches etc. I think our seniors are playing a Dublin team there this weekend sharing the rental cost.

Also, a huge number of Kildare underage players have got to play there on a few occasions over the last 12 months with cross county competitions and Leinster blitzes etc. Also the North Board are hoping to play some U12 finals there later this year.
Back to top Go down
Caprea
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2017 10:52 pm

OK, more available to clubs so than I thought.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2017 11:09 pm

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/dublin-announce-latest-sponsorship-deal-as-they-secure-subaru-as-official-car-partner-35374421.html

Nothing new, out with the old, in with the latest car sponsor. But at what point does it become paying players. Look at the restrictions of NCAA athletes in America. If you're being given everything, your bills go way down, you've to work way less, can train way more, thus moving posts much further than before on amateur game. When will GAA acknowledge a semi-pro team and look into it?
Back to top Go down
All_right_in_white
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2017 11:27 pm

Dublin have a gym area in Abbotstown solely for their own use. Trained there a few times myself and the pitches are incredible. The Dublin gym area was completely off limits at the time. Not sure if still the case.
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2017 11:31 pm

They took away some of those machines as Jim Gavin wasn't pleased they did not get the access he wanted. One of his backroom teams clubs got it.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2017 5:08 am

I see planning permission has been granted for the new dressing rooms and pitch widening to Croke Park dimensions.

Good news after a good weekend.
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2017 11:49 pm

What are the thoughts on the Super 8 vs other options?

The GPA's proposal isn't bad in fairness but the whole thing needs a big sweeping change. Their members from the weaker counties don't want to step down from the SFC but many of these lads compete for Intermediate and Junior clubs.
They accept that is their level, and know that you aren't senior unless you are senior. This seems to be totally unacceptable when it comes to county.

I have no big sweeping motions but there are so many vested interests I don't see it ever happening. For example I spoke to a county man recently who said to get rid of provincials at a meeting and he was shot down by lads from another province as they wouldn't get their annual big match-up.

No-one will always be happy but I feel there should be a mechanism to change on a trial basis without it being locked in for years.

Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2017 1:29 am

Super Eights - hurt about 28 of the non-elite counties; provide more games in an era of burnout; provide those games in a shorter time in an era of burnout; is opposed by the CPA who have proven the GAA isn't 'democratic'; is opposed by county panels whose county boards won't listen to, proving the GAA isn't 'democratic'; is opposed by county players. But hey, short term money, so make it happen.
Back to top Go down
White Bridge
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2017 1:34 am

TommyKeegan wrote:
Super Eights - hurt about 28 of the non-elite counties; provide more games in an era of burnout; provide those games in a shorter time in an era of burnout; is opposed by the CPA who have proven the GAA isn't 'democratic'; is opposed by county panels whose county boards won't listen to, proving the GAA isn't 'democratic'; is opposed by county players. But hey, short term money, so make it happen.

You're in favour of it so Tommy! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2017 1:54 am

White Bridge wrote:
TommyKeegan wrote:

You're in favour of it so Tommy! Very Happy

Eight thumbs up!
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2017 2:23 am

Amazingly looks like it might get the two thirds majority despite there being no benefit in it for the vast majority of counties outside of the likes of Dublin and Kerry. It does nothing to redress the lopsided provincial system. A Leinster or Ulster county can still end up in Rd 1 of the qualifiers after winning their first game whereas in Connacht or Munster you can lose your first game and go straight into the Rd 2 draw!

The devil is in the detail too. If Kildare were to reach the last eight are we allowed to play our home game in 13k capacity Newbridge? Do Dublin get two of their three games in Croke Park because it's a "neutral" venue?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

General GAA - AOB
Page 7 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23 ... 40  Next