Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kildare v Derry

Go down 
+30
lomond
murof
Kildare98
OutTheGap
Pkmie
KE2017
jimmers
rob11
Jimmy winning matches
abl
Xavi
teedee
Shas
Ohtoohtobe
tomoneillandhissisteranne
lilysavage
SeamusMurphy
Cilldara_2000
LillieLad
reichenhall
Ogie
flourman
Rex
TommyKeegan
white boy
kildaregaa365
lilly-exile
if_in_doubt
Taibi
ALLO ALLO
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

Kildare  v Derry - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Derry   Kildare  v Derry - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2017 12:37 am

Just watched it - Jesus I can't believe there was controversy over that. Definitely a goal – we should just take it and move on.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Derry   Kildare  v Derry - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2017 12:58 am

Just seen it, awful defending when you see it on camera. What were we doing in injury time with a two point lead leaving a one on one in defence. We should have had 15 back at kicked the free long. It's far worse than I thought. No defending that kind of in game management and stupidity.
Hyland and Donnellan not covering themselves in glory there. Goalie should 100% be punching that anywhere. Even over the bar. It gets worse the more you look at it.
So so poor and could be so costly.

Last edited by Rex on Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Derry   Kildare  v Derry - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2017 1:05 am

Just going to ask again – what happened with Feely's free beforehand? Apparently that was the worst part of the whole thing.
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Derry   Kildare  v Derry - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2017 1:07 am

Fucking hell terrible goal to give away, it should have been fisted down to Hylo or clean man and ball out of it, Hylo should have been stronger too! Such a bad goal to give away. Hope to god we use this to motivate us and push on. Think someone said it on this but it wouldn't be too bad to miss out on promotion, don't think we're ready. I'd take third considering it's our first year back in this division as we have a new team.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Derry   Kildare  v Derry - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2017 1:08 am

Awful defending with a two point lead deep in injury time. Players have to take responsibily for doing whats needed to close out a game. Based on that footage we look as innocent as ever. Hopefully the manager forces them to watch it a few times.
Back to top Go down
OutTheGap
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Derry   Kildare  v Derry - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2017 1:09 am

I know we had a free just before that but it's hard to believe we only seemed to have 1 defender within 25 yards of the goal when we're defending a 2 point lead with a minute to go. And Mark Donnellan has to punch that ball clear instead of trying to catch it.

A painful lesson but hopefully we'll learn from it.
Back to top Go down
lomond
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Derry   Kildare  v Derry - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2017 1:47 am

Is it time to give Shane McNamara a run ??
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Derry   Kildare  v Derry - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2017 1:54 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
Just going to ask again – what happened with Feely's free beforehand? Apparently that was the worst part of the whole thing.

Quick free was taken and intercepted.

I heard cian say afterwards it was a shocking decision and should have been a free out.. looking at the footage, it looks a good goal.. and I'm sure he'd agree.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Derry   Kildare  v Derry - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2017 1:56 am

I do think Donnellan is generally good but he was badly caught there...

Undoubtedly, it's a sickening way to lose but developing teams have these setbacks. I'm hoping the lads put it behind them and put the focus on Fermanagh now. A win on Sunday and a win for the U21s and it's still a good week.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Derry   Kildare  v Derry - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2017 1:57 am

SeamusMurphy wrote:
HauntedGraffiti wrote:

Quick free was taken and intercepted.

I heard cian say afterwards it was a shocking decision and should have been a free out.. looking at the footage, it looks a good goal.. and I'm sure he'd agree.

If he's reviewed the footage he really can't have any complaints.

I'm afraid we only have ourselves to blame. Badly taken free, then defence caught napping and keeper fails to deal with it.

An unfortunate sequence of events – should be on the Kildare crest at this stage...
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Derry   Kildare  v Derry - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2017 2:00 am

Was a horrible ball to catch so cant be too hard. Reminds me of the goal Down got two years ago in Newbridge at the death. I think Donellan is decent. A 7/10. McNamara is also good and I think his kickouts are a good bit better. Worth giving him a go at some stage. He could be better, only one way to find out.
Back to top Go down
jj
All-Star
All-Star
jj

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Derry   Kildare  v Derry - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2017 9:26 am

Donnellan needed to be far stronger. Derry man should have been ploughed into the ground in the process if needed be. He would never have been penalised in his square for doing so. The very same thing that should have happened to Benny Coulter in 2010 for what it's worth
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Derry   Kildare  v Derry - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2017 9:46 am

jj wrote:
Donnellan needed to be far stronger. Derry man should have been ploughed into the ground in the process if needed be. He would never have been penalised in his square  for doing so. The very same thing that should have happened to Benny Coulter in 2010 for what it's worth
Kildare goalies don't do that JJ and never have. Probably the last Kildare player to do something like that was either Glen Ryan or Davy Dalton. We really need to lose our "nice lads playing nice football" image. It's not serving us very well.

Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Derry   Kildare  v Derry - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2017 10:29 am

From listening to the radio, seemed like Feely's miscued free was the biggest balls-up of the lot. Everyone caught offguard and out of position... All we had to do was retain possession and play out time. Jesus is there a less streetwise football county around... Anyway, onwards and upwards (we hope)...
Back to top Go down
ALLO ALLO
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Derry   Kildare  v Derry - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2017 10:35 am

Was at the game yesterday and have to say it was a terrific goal scored by the Derry forward. Donnellan should have dealt with it by driving through the Derry player or punching it out. Apart from that mistake and two poor kickouts he otherwise had an excellent game. His kickouts in the first half were really good and he saved a certain goal in the second half when they had one on one.
Our defence though is a disaster, first half we kept fouling, giving away easy fees and easy scores to keep them in the game. Second half we were so open and off the pace we couldn't get a hand on them for some of their scores.
Other issue is where some of our forwards just coughed up possession too easily and then just standing there feeling sorry for themselves and not tracking back. Healy did well as did Neil Flynn until he got injured late in the game. They both worked really hard.
In summary we are still fouling too much and we lack pace in 4 or 5 positions which is killing us at this level.
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Derry   Kildare  v Derry - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2017 6:46 pm

People been talking about goalies ploughing thru fullbacks in Kildare since Benmy Coulter goal. A great soundbite. How is a keeper supposed to plough through Derry forward when his weight is moving backwards under a high ball.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Derry   Kildare  v Derry - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2017 7:20 pm

Precisely lilysavage. It was still naive in the extreme to try to take the ball down under threat from an incoming player. He's not inexperienced at this stage and needs to learn. That said the guy has conceded two goals in seven games, albeit two similar ones. People are forgetting the many times he has saved us when left one on one with forwards due to defensive weakness in front of him. I'd be looking at replacing the full back sooner than the goalkeeper. I thought Hyland was improving after the Cork match but Derry proved again he just doesn't have the strength for that position. He was behind the whole time (when he wasn't losing him altogether for the goal) and far too easily shrugged aside and turned. A good half back but not a full back. Don't like to say it as well but I think Kelly is only a shadow of the player he was and weakens that line when he comes in. I believe the management made a big mistake moving O'Grady to wing back and K Cribbin into the half forwards to cover the absence of two forwards. Better to have brought McNally or Hartley for Paul C and leave defensive unit intact (unless they've a ready made full back waiting in the wings somewhere).

Going forward Johnny Byrne does strike me as a potential full back candidate. Anyone know if he's played there for Allenwood at all?
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Derry   Kildare  v Derry - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2017 9:14 pm

Johnny has probably played more at FF than FB for his club.. interesting point on P Kelly, tmh used him at CF quite a bit last year for some reason.
I wouldn't be writing Donnellan off at all.. at least now he knows what to work on.
Is Pascal connell still on the panel  ?. He could have been a straight swap for p Cribben.
Back to top Go down
OutTheGap
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Derry   Kildare  v Derry - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2017 9:40 pm

Pascal Connell was a substitute on Sunday but didn't get on. The bench looked very inexperienced and you'd worry if we got a couple more injuries.

Shane McNamara, Shea Ryan, Cathal McNally, Eamon Callaghan, Conor Hartley, Cian ODonoghue, Eddie Heavey, Pascal Connell, Liam Healy, Mark Hyland, Fionn Dowling
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Derry   Kildare  v Derry - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2017 10:34 pm

No one is writing Donnellan off all. He is an excellent keeper, very good shot stopper and has saved us many times this season. He has to improve on one area and that is where the last 2 goals have come from. A simple punch instead of an attempted catch could have prevented both those goals.
The full back line is a bigger concern and have more problems which I fear will cost more than any other line.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Derry   Kildare  v Derry - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2017 10:54 pm

Funny thing about David Hyland is when I first saw him play for Athy in 2011 he basically looked like a thug and master of "dark arts"... You definitely need those in FB line – someone who's going to make the star forward's life hell. But he does seem less "sticky" these days.

I could be wrong about this, but my memory is that 2013 U21 campaign commenced with Hyland at half-back and Johnny Byrne at FB. Then Byrne had a bad spell in some game, they got switched and they've both remained in the same positions ever since. I'm pretty sure that's what happened...

But yes, in general we seem too lose and lack aggression in full back line. It's hard to know how to remedy it looking at panel. You really need players with serious presence in that line. Interesting that Emmet Bolton not even making squad these days, or is he injured?

Re Peter Kelly, it's an odd one... Has he really had a dominant season since his All Star year? Maybe I'm a being a bit unfair. Bit a 2010 vintage Kelly we could definitely do with.

Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Derry   Kildare  v Derry - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2017 11:01 pm

Look all injuries Peter Kelly had sence 2010. , Bolton still injured . Full back choices fergal Conway Johnny Bryne. Eoin Doyle , feely played full back for Dcu
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Derry   Kildare  v Derry - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2017 11:19 pm

That's the thing about Kelly, he really has had an awful lot of injuries. You're kind of going, how can he be right... I'm probably being a bit unfair to him.

I really don't think we can afford to move Feely from midfield, personally. Robbing Peter (Kelly) to pay Paul...
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Derry   Kildare  v Derry - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2017 11:30 pm

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
Funny thing about David Hyland is when I first saw him play for Athy in 2011 he basically looked like a thug and master of "dark arts"... You definitely need those in FB line – someone who's going to make the star forward's life hell. But he does seem less "sticky" these days.

I could be wrong about this, but my memory is that 2013 U21 campaign commenced with Hyland at half-back and Johnny Byrne at FB. Then Byrne had a bad spell in some game, they got switched and they've both remained in the same positions ever since. I'm pretty sure that's what happened...

But yes, in general we seem too lose and lack aggression in full back line. It's hard to know how to remedy it looking at panel. You really need players with serious presence in that line. Interesting that Emmet Bolton not even making squad these days, or is he injured?

Re Peter Kelly, it's an odd one... Has he really had a dominant season since his All Star year? Maybe I'm a being a bit unfair. Bit a 2010 vintage Kelly we could definitely do with.

Emmet had an appendectomy around Christmas time and wasn't expected back until the latter part of the league.

Back to top Go down
lilysavage
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Derry   Kildare  v Derry - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 01, 2017 3:45 am

David Hyland was 16/17 back then and about 11 stone max. Far from dark arts then and he hasn't developed too many of them since. Hes still probably best we have back there. Would agree Byrne should be tried. Mick O'Grady wouldn't be the most ruthless either. Don't think Peter Kelly has it physically anymore as stated above but could do a job when needed. Think Fergal Conway coming back to 6 and Doyle as a sweeper may be the way to go too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Derry   Kildare  v Derry - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kildare v Derry
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next