Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cork v Kildare

Go down 
+22
kickingking
moatesports
Fizzer
TommyKeegan
tomoneillandhissisteranne
learmus
Fear An Geata
Shergar
Liffey Likes
Rex
murof
KILL BILL
jimmers
flourman
micky murphy
Lanemusic
Flamingo
SeamusMurphy
jj
FearBan
Curraghplains
Kildare98
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

Cork v Kildare Empty
PostSubject: Cork v Kildare   Cork v Kildare Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2019 11:33 pm

On to this week's episode...

You can't say anything other than Cork football isn't in a good place. They had their football reboot recently, but didn't seem to suggest anything more revolutionary than getting some good underage squads and trying to build a senior team.

They are short on real quality at present, but they had a decent opening draw away to Fermanagh, and I do expect them to sew it into us – we have to be psychologically ready for battle.

The early start is bad for Kildare fans and Cork footballers have no following, so Stade de Frank will be even more like a mausoleum than usual. Cork apparently VERY defensive v Fermanagh so interesting to see how they set up.

Team I'd go for...

Donnellan

Dempsey
M Hyland
O'Grady

Murray
Doyle
K Cribbin

Feely
Masterson

Conway
Slattery
Hartley

N Flynn
McCormack
J Hyland

Apparently, Brophy and P Cribbin will be back on bench and they're brilliant options to have.
Back to top Go down
Curraghplains
All-Star
All-Star

Cork v Kildare Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cork v Kildare   Cork v Kildare Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2019 11:38 pm

Both Fermanagh and cork played 13 behind ball when opponent attacked
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

Cork v Kildare Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cork v Kildare   Cork v Kildare Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2019 11:48 pm

I heard Fermanagh had FIFTEEN at times. Not one for the purists.
Back to top Go down
FearBan
Intercounty
Intercounty
FearBan

Cork v Kildare Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cork v Kildare   Cork v Kildare Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2019 12:32 am

Newbridgeornowhere wrote:
Both Fermanagh  and cork played 13 behind ball when opponent attacked

Every team does this now.

We played with 13 behind the ball for large parts of Sunday. Armagh played 15 at times too.

There is nothing wrong with setting up defensively. The key for teams is the transition, getting players up the field when the ball is turned over. The best teams do this effortlessly. To be honest, in my opinion, when it's done well it's great to look at!

The game has moved on from your banks of 3 and 2 midfielders. We can't keep analysing teams with based on tactics from the 90's
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

Cork v Kildare Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cork v Kildare   Cork v Kildare Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2019 12:42 am

Well, there is a difference in that defensive teams like Carlow & Fermanagh – they have certain players who sprint back to the full back line when possession is lost.

Whereas attacking teams like us, Mayo, Dublin, Kerry (although Kerry were defensive on Sunday) do try to press higher. Yes, we end up with 13 back at times but they drift with the play rather than simply standing off and parking the bus.

I think most observers would say us and Armagh a great game between two attacking teams. I don't have a problem with defensive teams but if Kildare ever played like that I'd stop going. My idea of a great football game is the Mayo-Dublin matches of recent years – two attacking teams going toe to toe.

Having said that, I do agree that Donegal in 2012 great to watch. The problem occurs when you have two defensive teams, eg. Tyrone v Donegal 2017, although I still believe too much is made of that game. Yes, it was a dogfight, but it was compelling and took a couple of sublime points from Peter Harte & Sean Cavanagh to win it.
Back to top Go down
jj
All-Star
All-Star
jj

Cork v Kildare Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cork v Kildare   Cork v Kildare Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2019 1:25 am

With the few additional lads back this week I’d like to think we should be able to beat Cork. Would really like to see O’Grady slotted straight in at full back, think he’s tailor made for it and it’s a position we need a strong player such as himself in
Back to top Go down
FearBan
Intercounty
Intercounty
FearBan

Cork v Kildare Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cork v Kildare   Cork v Kildare Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2019 1:54 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
Well, there is a difference in that defensive teams like Carlow & Fermanagh – they have certain players who sprint back to the full back line when possession is lost.

Whereas attacking teams like us, Mayo, Dublin, Kerry (although Kerry were defensive on Sunday) do try to press higher. Yes, we end up with 13 back at times but they drift with the play rather than simply standing off and parking the bus.

I think most observers would say us and Armagh a great game between two attacking teams. I don't have a problem with defensive teams but if Kildare ever played like that I'd stop going. My idea of a great football game is the Mayo-Dublin matches of recent years – two attacking teams going toe to toe.

Having said that, I do agree that Donegal in 2012 great to watch. The problem occurs when you have two defensive teams, eg. Tyrone v Donegal 2017, although I still believe too much is made of that game. Yes, it was a dogfight, but it was compelling and took a couple of sublime points from Peter Harte & Sean Cavanagh to win it.

Agreed. I don't like looking at teams that set up like Carlow or Fermanagh do. There's a world of difference though between that kind of unsophisticated system compared to what Donegal were doing in 2012. Dublin are masters at it.

All I'm saying is there is nothing wrong with being defensive (in fact you're being naive if your not defensive without the ball) once you have a defined and well drilled transition into an effective attacking plan to support it.

For me, Kildare need to a better defensive plan to support our already very good attack
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

Cork v Kildare Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cork v Kildare   Cork v Kildare Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2019 2:22 am

Agree jj on O Grady to FB.. id move D Hyland to wing back.
Would Conway not be a better option at centre back ?.
Back to top Go down
jj
All-Star
All-Star
jj

Cork v Kildare Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cork v Kildare   Cork v Kildare Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2019 2:27 am

SeamusMurphy wrote:
Agree jj on O Grady to FB.. id move D Hyland to wing back.
Would Conway not be a better option at centre back ?.

I’d have no issue with trying Conway at centre back either. Will be interesting to see if that happens should Masterson become a regular with Feely in midfield which would seem quite possible
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

Cork v Kildare Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cork v Kildare   Cork v Kildare Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2019 2:47 am

JJ think Conway would be a shocking waste back there. He can kick a score and can carry through midfield traffic too.
Dropping back from 10 is a good shout or just centre back altogether.
Back to top Go down
Lanemusic
Junior A
Junior A

Cork v Kildare Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cork v Kildare   Cork v Kildare Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2019 3:12 am

Do we know if Feely is good to go this weekend?
Would love to see him and Masterson both in from the start
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
All-Star
All-Star

Cork v Kildare Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cork v Kildare   Cork v Kildare Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2019 9:06 pm

Will be interesting game big pitch and we will learn a lot from it, I think we have a bit more in the tank than them, would like to see us mixing it up a bit and trying a few long balls for a mark which other teams used successfully last week and I cant remember one from us?
Also we are going to get a sin bin soon so I wonder is it time to change our goalkeeper?
Back to top Go down
Curraghplains
All-Star
All-Star

Cork v Kildare Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cork v Kildare   Cork v Kildare Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2019 9:47 pm

micky murphy wrote:
Will be interesting game big pitch and we will learn a lot from it, I think we have a bit more in the tank than them, would like to see us mixing it up a bit and trying a few long balls for a mark which other teams used successfully last week and I cant remember one from us?
Also we are going to get a sin bin soon so I wonder is it time to change our goalkeeper?
Aaron o neill is U20 goalkeeper this year.
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

Cork v Kildare Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cork v Kildare   Cork v Kildare Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2019 9:50 pm

micky murphy wrote:
How is one related to the other?
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
All-Star
All-Star

Cork v Kildare Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cork v Kildare   Cork v Kildare Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2019 12:00 am

I think that Aaron possibly could be a better option in goals as he more mobile etc. so keeper will be brought into play a lot more as was seen last week.... just putting it out there to see what people think...
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

Cork v Kildare Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cork v Kildare   Cork v Kildare Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2019 4:41 am

Ewan MacKenna killing it again... What I want to know is why is he the only sports journalist out there highlighting these issues – some of the biggest facing the association. Thank god we have him.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/ewan-mackenna-how-obscenely-good-dublin-gaa-have-it-is-best-highlighted-by-how-disgracefully-bad-some-others-have-it-37771428.html

Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star
jimmers

Cork v Kildare Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cork v Kildare   Cork v Kildare Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2019 9:46 am

Team v Cork
Donnellan, Dempsey, O'Grady, D Hyland, Murray, Doyle, K Cribben, Feely, Conway, Hartley, Dowling, Tyrrell, Slattery, McCormack, J Hyland
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

Cork v Kildare Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cork v Kildare   Cork v Kildare Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2019 1:42 pm

jimmers wrote:
Team v Cork
Donnellan, Dempsey, O'Grady, D Hyland, Murray, Doyle, K Cribben, Feely, Conway, Hartley, Dowling, Tyrrell, Slattery, McCormack, J Hyland

Wouldn't frightn me .
Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

Cork v Kildare Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cork v Kildare   Cork v Kildare Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2019 8:12 pm

Spot on Haunted, McKenna the best print journalist out there bar none, and no, I don't always agree with his view, nor should we, good journalism is not what you agree with, it's what opens you mind, when there are so many tabloid turkeys out there his articles are on a different level altogether.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

Cork v Kildare Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cork v Kildare   Cork v Kildare Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2019 8:36 pm

Seriously Irish Times - paper of record - won’t touch this issue with barge-pole, afraid of alienating Dub readership & advertisers.

All you get Gavin Cummiskey & Ian O’Riordan kissing Dubs’ arses. And they also stuck to us big time over Newbridge Or Nowhere, did everything to try & get us to regret it, which still angers me...

Anyway, at least there’s one journalist out there fighting the good fight.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

Cork v Kildare Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cork v Kildare   Cork v Kildare Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2019 8:39 pm

Re team selection, say this as Moorefield supporter, but still not convinced Tyrrell is inter-county standard...

Has real class but prone to rashness & gave away stupid free last day as well. We’ll see how he gets on Sun.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

Cork v Kildare Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cork v Kildare   Cork v Kildare Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2019 9:13 pm

Only fair that players like Hartley,Tyrell and Dowling get a 2nd chance. Not right that players are dropped after one game but I always doubted whether the latter 2 are county standard. Hopefully Flynn is available as a sub if we need scores late on.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

Cork v Kildare Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cork v Kildare   Cork v Kildare Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2019 10:34 pm

No way Hartley should be considered for dropping. He was very goody last week. However we should be finding a spot for Neil Flynn if fit. Him, McCormack and Hyland is a very young full forward line but exciting in equal measure. I'd move Slattery to the half forwards, to use his pace moving onto the ball. But then you got to drop someone. It's tough but Dowling seems to play better as an impact sub.
Back to top Go down
Liffey Likes
Senior
Senior

Cork v Kildare Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cork v Kildare   Cork v Kildare Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2019 2:57 am

Great to have Feely fit this week. It was a very interesting kick out strategy last week which I think will suit K Feely and Paul Cribbin in particular when he is back. Hopefully Neill Flynn is on before too long. I would be more optimistic than most on this forum about Adam Tyrrell, looking forward to seeing him get more opportunities, good distributior. It's really great to hear lads making strong case for some U20 players not selected and then consider so many more established players currently unavailable, it's going to be some panel and some competition for places hopefully.
Back to top Go down
Shergar
Intercounty
Intercounty

Cork v Kildare Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cork v Kildare   Cork v Kildare Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2019 4:02 am

Given Hartley didn't even tog out midweek for the Sigerson I guess we may see another change before throw in. Masterson played well in the Sigerson midweek and getting closer to starting. The lads put in a huge effort last week, my only worry is whether they can produce that week in week out this early in the year. With it being a double header there should be a decent crowd behind Cork in the second half at least. Another massive effort required. Best of luck to them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cork v Kildare Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cork v Kildare   Cork v Kildare Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cork v Kildare
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next