Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread

Go down 
+81
whitetop
faithfullily
stanley
parcel
kildarecat
midfieldmaestro
lomond
flourman
Flamingo
hawker
kartman
babyduck
truelily
Admin2
Sam1928
losthope
Yellow Pearl
Always_White
pedrobob
lilly-exile
snowman
lillies11
Admin
Taibi
Horsebox
White Bridge
wingback
browser
tomcruise
Ogie
naked-lilly
Jimmy winning matches
lastline
smokey
shoutitout
KILL BILL
Loads of Pints
FearBan
carburyman
peile
whitestar
town man
Big Full Back
learmus
tomoneillandhissisteranne
bloodsub
Derfil
Fear An Geata
GAA_PUNTER
Come on the Boys in Blue
The Giant
overthebar
jim
patw14
lilypremier
Frankel
centreback
Square Ball
Muvverfuk
steviegenius
analysis
rob11
ChopperDalton
rgb
GaaHead
Oneill
Lily8
TheBigFullForward
The Oracle
if_in_doubt
walsheman
bob12
jj
Adam91
Son of Sarsfields
Rex
kickingking
Dara
Muller
Stonecold
daracill
85 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 22  Next
AuthorMessage
jj
All-Star
All-Star
jj

O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 9:49 am

Ogie wrote:
fionnmccool wrote:
I echo everything Rex/jme said. I'll also add that ogie owes O'Sullivab an apology.

Also beans on toast if u are Connolly and your looking in fair play

The No.1 jersey is yours at the moment, but it's a long time between now and may a lot of ball to be played still.

Hmmm... so what's the difference between what O'Sullivan has done that he is owed an apology, and what Connolly has done that there's a lot of ball to be played still?

I was coming on to say fair play to Sully, who kicked three points very smartly and also showed a good workrate... but the ridiculous statement that I owe him an apology for thinking on everything I've seen of him for the last three or four years (the similar stuff that Glenn Ryan saw that meant he didn't pick him as a 21-year-old for the county U21s) that he hadn't the workrate or didn't move quickly enough for this level.

If he keeps up what he did today, and sticks with the reserves, he will benefit big time... I think the workrate will have impressed Geezer more than anything else and the fitter he gets, the better that will get - that's a new aspect to his game, and it's to his credit that he has realised he needed to add it... I don't think I owe him an apology at all, I laud him for a very good game today and hope he will keep it up. For what it's worth, I would reckon the statement you made about Connolly Fionn, also applies to Sully, as it does to Fitzy and Olly and Moolick and Dowling, but I've been impressed with them all at this stage, especially Tommy.

I was very impressed today for 45 minutes or so... I thought DCU would win this but it was never likely, Kildare outfought them, outworked them, outscored them, created numerous more chances (16 wides as well)... this was good and they look in good nick going into the league, much better nick than last year.

Thought Paidi and Hughie were brilliant at midfield, pity Mick got that bang, I thought he looked very tight and sharp.

How classy is Leper?

Dont forget Ogie that Glenn Ryan didnt see fit to pick Hugh McGrillen either so his judgement shouldnt be taken as gospel ......
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 9:50 am

jj wrote:
Ogie wrote:
fionnmccool wrote:
I echo everything Rex/jme said. I'll also add that ogie owes O'Sullivab an apology.

Also beans on toast if u are Connolly and your looking in fair play

The No.1 jersey is yours at the moment, but it's a long time between now and may a lot of ball to be played still.

Hmmm... so what's the difference between what O'Sullivan has done that he is owed an apology, and what Connolly has done that there's a lot of ball to be played still?

I was coming on to say fair play to Sully, who kicked three points very smartly and also showed a good workrate... but the ridiculous statement that I owe him an apology for thinking on everything I've seen of him for the last three or four years (the similar stuff that Glenn Ryan saw that meant he didn't pick him as a 21-year-old for the county U21s) that he hadn't the workrate or didn't move quickly enough for this level.

If he keeps up what he did today, and sticks with the reserves, he will benefit big time... I think the workrate will have impressed Geezer more than anything else and the fitter he gets, the better that will get - that's a new aspect to his game, and it's to his credit that he has realised he needed to add it... I don't think I owe him an apology at all, I laud him for a very good game today and hope he will keep it up. For what it's worth, I would reckon the statement you made about Connolly Fionn, also applies to Sully, as it does to Fitzy and Olly and Moolick and Dowling, but I've been impressed with them all at this stage, especially Tommy.

I was very impressed today for 45 minutes or so... I thought DCU would win this but it was never likely, Kildare outfought them, outworked them, outscored them, created numerous more chances (16 wides as well)... this was good and they look in good nick going into the league, much better nick than last year.

Thought Paidi and Hughie were brilliant at midfield, pity Mick got that bang, I thought he looked very tight and sharp.

How classy is Leper?

Dont forget Ogie that Glenn Ryan didnt see fit to pick Hugh McGrillen either so his judgement shouldnt be taken as gospel ......

Or Keith Cribbin
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 9:52 am

Fair comment... more on McGrillen than Cribbin I would say... anyway, I would have agreed with the decision at the time! But fair play to Sully today.
Back to top Go down
Yellow Pearl
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 10:16 am

Fair enough, my mistake. I was sure Sullivan got a run under Nolan.
I dont have any problem with the guys being selected Ballyboy. Ive said here many times that if Geezer deems them good enough, then they are good enough. WHat does bug me is people coming here or at matches, bitching about clubmates who are "much better" and shud be on the panel. THere are quite a few lads who have had more than enough chances and havent taken them.
You ask what I thought of Peter Kelly this time last year, I didnt think anything because I hadnt seen him play for Kildare this time last year. I had seen him play for his club a couple of times but never dreamed he wud turn out to be what he did. Although Im sure you're gonna tell me you knew all along ha ha ha
Junor/Reserves......you knew what I meant. I dont know why its taken this long. Id imagine the egos wouldnt allow them buy into the second string. But many of the senior panel have interchanged over the last couple of years. Peter Kelly's rise last year may have changed the perception.
Its brilliant to have so much competition for places. But I still believe the younger guys will be the ones to break in.
Back to top Go down
analysis
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 10:28 am

[quote="Ogie"]
fionnmccool wrote:

How classy is Leper?

VERY!! Fingers crossed he stays injury free and he will be our star again this year, has stood head and shoulders above everyone last week and this week.
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 10:42 am

[quote="analysis"]
Ogie wrote:
fionnmccool wrote:

How classy is Leper?

VERY!! Fingers crossed he stays injury free and he will be our star again this year, has stood head and shoulders above everyone last week and this week.

agree totally, he's in the form of his life at the moment and im sure he will end up as captain at some point.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 11:03 am

The reason I said you owe him an apology Ogie is because you said he would "struggle mightily", he kicked 3 very classy points and didn't struggle, far from it.
Give the lad a chance.

My plenty of football to be played comment in relation to Connolly is in the context of the No.1 jersey I believe should be his but there is plenty of football to be played,In that he can't get complacent, he needs to be on his toes. Corley and Shortie are waiting in the wings.

Agree with you on moolick though, he has a big future. Big strong and athletic. And a very good ball player.
El Guerrouj must be a happy man with Moolick flying the leixlip flag with the lilies once more?!

Leper is having a great start to the year. After missing the o byrne and league last year imagine what shape he'll be in come champ if he stays injury free.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 6:45 pm

fionnmccool wrote:
The reason I said you owe him an apology Ogie is because you said he would "struggle mightily", he kicked 3 very classy points and didn't struggle, far from it.
Give the lad a chance.

My plenty of football to be played comment in relation to Connolly is in the context of the No.1 jersey I believe should be his but there is plenty of football to be played,In that he can't get complacent, he needs to be on his toes. Corley and Shortie are waiting in the wings.

Agree with you on moolick though, he has a big future. Big strong and athletic. And a very good ball player.
El Guerrouj must be a happy man with Moolick flying the leixlip flag with the lilies once more?!

Leper is having a great start to the year. After missing the o byrne and league last year imagine what shape he'll be in come champ if he stays injury free.

yep, I said he'd struggle mightily and I got it wrong for this one particular game (I got it right for all the others in the past few years)... I think from my comments it's clear that I accepted he had a very good game...

If Connolly is getting complacent at this stage, he's not the man we want! I would hope that is not the case....
Back to top Go down
carburyman
All-Star
All-Star
carburyman

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 7:29 pm

Think on yesterdays displays,leper again was outstanding,and think that the captains arm band will be his.
Foley has also started the year well.Kildare seem to be that bit fit this year than last,at this stage of the season
Back to top Go down
White Bridge
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 8:40 pm

Were any of the subs used yesterday lads?
Back to top Go down
analysis
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 8:43 pm

Cribben and Smith came on in 2nd half, Ronan Walsh from Cappagh was also played.
Back to top Go down
peile
Intercounty
Intercounty
peile

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 8:47 pm

Love Geezers comments in the indo. First time I've ever seen a referee slated with compliments...very clever .

Good turnout again yesterday and great performance, especially the first half.
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 8:55 pm

Very impressed with Connolly yesterday. Big strong man safe under the high ball and good shot stopper with a great presence. 'tis only January though.

Agree Peile about the ref. Thought he was good yesterday.

DCU were pretty poor up front. Thought we'd get more of a test.
Back to top Go down
peile
Intercounty
Intercounty
peile

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 9:05 pm

Welcome back Sam...I thought squirrels hibernated for longer though Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 9:55 pm

I was very impressed with Ollie Lyons yesterday too, marking David Kelly who is a top Quality forward, I think he may have kept him scoreless, or maybe he got a point.

Eitherways he done an excellent job on him. He was taken off near the end with what looked to be a shoulder injury, hopefully its not too serious.
Back to top Go down
shoutitout
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 10:08 pm

Another good display by all involved. As has being siad winning games at this time of year is a good habit to get into and long may it continue.

Any word on the injury that forced Lyons off at the end of the match? Looked to be in a lot of pain with his right arm.
Back to top Go down
Fear An Geata
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 1:01 am

peile wrote:
Love Geezers comments in the indo. First time I've ever seen a referee slated with compliments...very clever .

For those that haven't seen Geezer's quote ir reads:
"In the second half we were very sloppy with our shooting but in fairness to Pat Fox I thought he made a good game of it and gave Donie plenty of preactice. I'd like to see the stats. I think we got one free kick inside the 50. I thought Pat Fox made it an exciting game in the second half"
Back to top Go down
Fear An Geata
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 1:07 am

I see Rob Kelly scored three points (2f) for UCD in their 0-13 to 0-10 win over Carlow yesterday.
Back to top Go down
Son of Sarsfields
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 2:29 am

Newbridgefan wrote:
Padraig Nolan had Sullivan in the panel when he was manager. IM sure Crofton had at some point too.....

Mark O'Sullivan was only a minor when Paidraig Nolan was manager. He never got a chance under Crofton and was only called into thr senior panel after Celbridge won their couny title
Back to top Go down
Admin2
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 3:12 am

Misneach wrote:
Ok it's early I know for this but after 2 good wins so far have we learned anything or has anything in particular come to light about the season ahead for Kildare?

It seems to me that after the joys and highs of last year this team won't take much motivation to go out and try win every game they play!

Also moved from another thread,easier to reply if in offical o'byrne thread.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 3:16 am

Ollie Lyons is gone for 4 weeks (approx) according to McGeeney with a shoulder injury.

Is Mac available at the moment or will Brophy be fit for the start of the league?
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 4:07 am

Corner backs dropping like flies, they are an endangered species now.
Back to top Go down
Always_White
Intermediate
Intermediate
Always_White

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 5:00 am

Geezer was talking tongue in cheek when he praised Pat Fox's handling of the game. The stats prove his point in that we got one free in the whole game from inside the 45 metre line whereas DCU got all of their scores with the exception of one point from frees. In the second half in particular if a Kildare player so much as looked crossly at a DCU player they got a free whereas we couldn't get a free for love or money. Don't tell me it was because they were playing within the rules!!
Back to top Go down
if_in_doubt
All-Star
All-Star
if_in_doubt

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 6:10 am

Another good performance yesterday. Started the first half very well and kicked some great scores. Moolick and O'Sullivan were very impressive again in the forwards, Flats and Dowling were a bit quieter than they were last week but still saw a lot of ball. Willie Heff's confidence must be nearly completely gone, second game in a row he's missed a great goal chance. To be fair to him in the second half most of the balls that were sent in towards him ended up sailing out over the end line.

Poor enough in the second half but still managed to look comfortable and were always in control of the game. Shine kicked some good frees but to be fair a few of them shouldn't have been frees at all. Surprised Dean Rock and Colm Begley didn't start for DCU but even when Rock did come on there was little he could do as the backs were playing so well. Hopefully the knock Lyons took won't be too serious and he'll be back for a few games in the league. Himself and Fitzpatrick were very good again and Foley did well at fullback.

Connolly was very impressive in goals, only mistake was going for a high ball and instead of catching it he seemed to just palm it away, made two very good saves in one on one situations in the second half and topped off his performance by saving the penalties. Kickouts seem to be very good and accurate, with one exception in the second half when he went to take a quick one and found a DCU forward.

Aside from the match, either John Bannon was on the terrace yesterday or he has an identical twin in Newbridge. Wonder what he thought of some of the decision made by Pat Fox?
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 9:48 am

Bannon refs a lot of the training matches fro the squad.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread   O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread - Page 11 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

O'Byrne Cup 2011 - Official Thread
Page 11 of 22Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 22  Next