Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling

Go down 
+29
Ohtoohtobe
armagh4sam
Sam1928
croker
peile
foney
Always_White
Derfil
Jimmy winning matches
Dara
lilly-exile
kildarecat
geezerslilywhites
Lily8
Yellow Pearl
Highball
centreback
abl
Rex
FearBan
rboy
Dinny Breen
gaaweb
Horsebox
Stonecold
ChillDara
koko39
MD
bob12
33 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
bob12
All-Star
All-Star
bob12

Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  Empty
PostSubject: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 3:02 am

Folks

Just seen an awesome 2nd half if we string 2 halves together we will be in with a shout for a visit to croker Sept 19th 1st game I missed this year p##sed i didnt get to go now ah well roll on next Weekend cheers
Back to top Go down
MD
All-Star
All-Star
MD

PostSubject: Re: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 3:08 am

Agreed. Some peformance,Leper was outstanding. JD was reliable and Smyth was getting some catches. Disappointed with Jemmers but today is not a day for complaining. C'mon the lillies
Back to top Go down
koko39
Senior
Senior
koko39

PostSubject: Re: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 3:35 am

great score . well done. Anyone know anything about next round. When will they be and can we play Louth again
Back to top Go down
ChillDara
Junior A
Junior A
ChillDara

PostSubject: Re: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 3:42 am

koko39 wrote:
great score . well done. Anyone know anything about next round. When will they be and can we play Louth again

It'll be next weekend and no we can't play Louth again. It has to be in
a neutral venue so I see a double header in Croker on the cards...
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 3:43 am

Some excellent perfomances over the 70 minutes namely Leper, JD, Flynn, Kelly & Dermot. But JD's work rate was unreal.

Those who wanted it most really shone in the 2nd half and one player who I won't mention doesn't deserve his place.

Pity about Tomas. Smith is worth his starting place now and E. Flats did well when introduced. Why was Bolton taken off?

Thought Bernard Flynn and his pre match analysis was a disgrace and very lazy.
Back to top Go down
koko39
Senior
Senior
koko39

PostSubject: Re: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 3:45 am

I think Bolton was taken off because he had a Yellow card.
Back to top Go down
Horsebox
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 4:05 am

Very good performance in the second half, all round good team effort.
Wouldn't be getting ahead of ourselves like we're world beaters(look what happened against louth!!) but a day to be happy wit.
Stonecold do you care to name and shame???Suppose most can guess anyway...
Back to top Go down
ChillDara
Junior A
Junior A
ChillDara

PostSubject: Re: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 4:12 am

I think we can all guess...buts that's for tomorrow. Today is for pints and celebrating and thats exactly what i'm off to do!
Back to top Go down
gaaweb
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 4:15 am

I'll second that ChillDara Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 4:32 am

That player had a bad day, but in previous games when needed when earley was injured he stood up to be counted .
I wouldn't be critical of anyone, I'm a glass half fill kind of person myself.
Back to top Go down
Dinny Breen
Senior
Senior
Dinny Breen

PostSubject: Re: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 5:08 am

I'm an eternal optimist anyhow

Absolutely delighted with that win, disgusted I wasn't there but life has to go on. I owe McGeeney an apology for calling for his head in the immediate disappointment of the Louth game, Louth being Leinster champions shows what a good side they are and while I still maintain we trained wrongly for that game, the way we have turned things around is a credit to the players and the management, stability is an important thing and McGeeny and Co should definitely stay on for another two years, with such a young side and the quality coming through he'd be mad not to.

Hate listening on TV as you have to listen to those god-awful RTE commentators, they really played the wind factor too much, apart from frees it wasn't that much a factor within the game. It takes a good midfield to get on top of Kildare and Derry didn't have it, Kildare will always create chances and we are rediscovering our touch in front of goal, no wides in the 2nd half tells it's own story. I like the fact that each week different players are popping up and taking the scores, people should tell RTE that our dependence on Johnny Doyle is long gone, Kavanagh, Smith, Callaghan and O'Flaherty are all scoring forwards.

Yes I know Derry were poor but Kildare made them look poor and that is our biggest win in Championship football imho since we beat Dubin in the Leinster final in 2000. The Doom sayers were out before the game but as Marvin Hagler use to say starve the doubts feed the belief. There's a All-Ireland semi in these lads yet.

Finally Peter Kelly you are a natural, my man of the match and please can we have the lilywhite back (TV requesting we wear Green seemingly)

Last edited by Dinny Breen on Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
rboy
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 5:31 am

Excellent display all round. Older and new players combining well. Came back from awful start which shows character but wont keep getting away with that against better opposition.
Day for looking forward now with serious optimism. Anyone in a double header in Croker.
Come on the Lillies.
Back to top Go down
bob12
All-Star
All-Star
bob12

PostSubject: Re: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 6:33 am

good point rboy still we need to get the 1st half sorted and we will hopefully dream of september in croker anyway, ww cant get Louth in the next round so its has to be rossies/sligo tyrone/monaghan or Limerick it would be ironic if we met Monaghan grimley would know us inside out so my preferred choice Limerick or connaght losers
Back to top Go down
FearBan
Intercounty
Intercounty
FearBan

PostSubject: Re: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 7:38 am

Great great performance! Can't remember too many better performances than that in the last 10 years. Just on the way home on the bus, Kildare support, 4 hours away, outnumbered Derry support...that's amazing, well done one and all and here's to more days like it.

I'm not going to analyze the game tonight as I have celebrating to do but from being at that game, everyone played their part and were outstanding...fair play to Shorty for saving our blushes.

Anyhow, well done everyone, great win in Derry...bring on whoever in the nxt round!
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 7:51 am

Fantastice result, there is no way anyone can moan about that result. The lads have shown their mettle in disposing of two Ulster sides in their own back yards with an aggregate win total of 20 points.

c'mon Stonecold let some love into that heart, the lad I think you are referring to had a bad day but never stopped working and getting into a postion to influence the game.

Everyone of those lads out there today deserve huge credit to beat a team like Derry (no matter how poor they were, although most of that was because we beat them up all over the field) on their own pitch where every other Kildare team down the years has been beaten.

A great day for the Lilywhite County and suddenly we are being looked upon as contenders.
Also big thumbs up to the management for getting the heads right. There are too many people in this County who have such Kneejerks after a poor result that I'm surprised they don't launch themselves out the window.

On the old forum I started a thread trying to put across the argument that McGeeney needs a minimum five years to get Kildare where he wants. I stated that he came when we were at our lowest ebb for decades, we had not structure in place and the team had no mental strength.

Well what difference a few years makes. The lads are playing top football, beating teams home and away, the structure for them to train and develop correctly is there and they now have an inner belief that only the top teams can match.

The County chairman should look at that display today, the preparation that went into it, the way the players fought for each other, the way new players have been brought in and treated correctly not tossed to the lions which will let them develop into serious footballers in the years to come.
and realise that he has a manger that any county would be proud to have.

A good day to be lilywhite so lets not moan our way to the next game, just sit back wait for the draw and turn up to support the lads next weekend.

On a different subject while I'm on a roll, I'm not long home from the match, and the first thing I did was sit down to re watch the game.
Unfortunately I have got about 5 mins in and Bernard "I have no idea what I'm talking about flynn" has just said we were played off the pitch by Antrim. I just shook my head and fast forwarded the rest of the shite talk onto the football.
you have to wonder what preparation these pundits do before a game.
Back to top Go down
FearBan
Intercounty
Intercounty
FearBan

PostSubject: Re: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 8:03 am

I once was told by a prominent member of RTE staff that Mr Flynn is there mainly cause he wears nice suits. He obviously was listening too much to Bradley senior. While I talk about Bradley, maybe he should turn his fan bashing to his own counties...non existent today.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 8:09 am

Geezer refused to do a pre match interview and the team has rarely looked so focussed prematch. .
I think he was pissed because he read some of the comments on here. Tthe doubters should expect a visit from the boss anytime soon. Wink

Just for flyonthewall the players had more slogans on their training tops tonight. Must make your head hurt.
Back to top Go down
abl
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 8:15 am

Super performance .Callaghan attacking from deep has made some difference to him.Lorded midfield.Dermot what a soldier and Daryl by god he gets through some work.Great to have Smith back ,some goal.If that was anybody else they would have took there point.The whole team defended well and showed for the second half what we have seen in flashes this year(eg being the laois league game .forthe first five minutes we looked like we were going blow them out of the water).Congrats to management teamas they have really turned it around and i dont mindeating a big slice of humble pie.
I mightbe totally wrong but the playeri think stonecold is about plays in the halfback line and was very poor again today.Anyway onwords and upwards.bring on tyrone(we owe them one)roscommon(we owe them one aswell) or limerick.Now let oother teams fear us
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 8:26 am

First half performance was excellent in my opinion, full of character, guts and will to win.

We went 1-02 to no score down, away from home in the fortress celtic park, where only 4 years ago we were on the end of a hiding.
A mentally weaker team would have crumbled. But not McGeeneys side.
Some call it thuggery other call it hard work and fighting tooth and nail for every ball but We plugged away and worked our way back into the game and went in a point up, despite out 5 point defecit.
For me that's a good first half performance.
That's just my opinion. I'm not being a troll.
Back to top Go down
centreback
All-Star
All-Star
centreback

PostSubject: Re: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 9:08 am

just back home myself funny incident on the way home a bunch of armagh supporters were on the side of the road, on there way home from losing to the dubs i just let down the window with my kildare flags hanging out and said come on mcgeeney, they were not amused we got a good kick out of it though.

as for the match great performance finally showing like the team we were last year smith is essiential kit just like lucozade, stoneclod i think is talking about jimmers and to be fair jimmers didnt rack up on the score board today but if you watched closely jimmers was tracking 2 half backs for the game which allowed callaghan to play the free role to excellance, we need lads to do the donkey work like jimmers today and other lads to shine like callaghan today with 1-4 i believe.

jme i`ve just sat down and watching the replay here bernard flynn is just saying how daryl flynn doesn`t play well alongside earley, well bernard obviously hasn`t seen kildare this year as he has played well every game this year or he must have missed the game against tyrone where flynn had a fine game against one the best in sean cavanagh.

just to say derry`s support today was poor, derry`s performance today was poor, derry`s prices today were poor but the one thing i thought they did get right was the national anthem thought it was excellent, something mr ashe should look into implementing in newbridge for the future
Back to top Go down
Highball
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 11:21 am

Just want to add to the positive comments expressed so far.. That win was an absolute cracker. It really did feel like a benchmark game for this team/set up. To come away from Derry after absolutely destroying them in their own back yard is a fantastic acheivement. Well done to all. Watching from Sydney, I was delighted to see us outnumbering the home support.

Any lingering doubts which posters may have had about the quality of opposition we have beaten in qualifiers to date, the old "ah sure it was a bad xxxxx team" brigade should now be gone. We beat an established division 1 side away from home having been 1-2 behind, there should be no doubt in anyones mind that this regime IS working, the players have the faith, the squad is very solid and with a couple of additions in certain areas we will be serious all ireland contenders soon enough.

A few points from the game:

1. That was as complete display in midfield/cleaning up dirty ball that i have ever seen from a kildare team. Not sure of the end stats but we must have won 80% possession from kick outs, outstanding.

2. Agree with posters comments re the RTE analysis. It was very poor and lazy, John Doyle show blah blah blah.

3. Alan Smyth is one of the top corner forwards in ireland. He is a class act, i love the way his first instinct is goal every time. He's strong, direct and a threat even when he doesnt seem to be in the game. Always seems to be in the right place at the right time.

4. Our tackling was well disciplined and executed. Given our approach, we are gioing to concede our share of frees, thats a given, What people are looking for is strong discipined and hungry tackling. That was in abundance yesterday.

5. Thought Marty Duffy handled the game well. We are very quick to diss referees on a poor performance. Yesterday was refereed very failry,

6. If Kildare put in a performance like Derry did in front of home support, the manager should walk. Shocking attitude when it went wrong, cliueless and leaderless.

7. Peter Kelly is developping into a fine corner back. While i am still yet to be fully convinced about the full bac line as a unit, Kelly for me shone.

8. Can people please stop harping on about grimley being the brains of the operation. That argument is dead. I know its slightly off topic but to relate, i thought the substitutions worked very well yesterday. Geezer and the team got it spot on.

Thats my tuppence worth. Im absolutely thrilled with the result, up the lilly greens and roll opn mnext week end
Back to top Go down
Yellow Pearl
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 11:58 am

Agree with pretty much all thats been said here so far. Good point too about the ref, he did a solid job throughout.
Im always reluctant to get over excited about Kildare results, however good or bad they maybe. But I do think this will be a game that we will look back on as a day we took that next step.
However poor Derry may or may not have been, I cant ever remember a Kildare team demolishing any team in championship football. We were ruthless, clinical and professional from start to finish. The mean-ness we showed at times was awesome. Hunger for the ball, willingness to die on the ball, swalow the boot to make a block.
We won all the key battles, and some.
This Kildare setup is almost unrecognisable from what it was 3 years ago. Its up there with any top 3 or 4 in the land. The back up network is in place, training and development is in place. Now its about the whole thing maturing and progressing to the next level.
The players progressing from minor are very very promising and with people like Geezer & O'Rourke involved, these kids can only prosper.
Geezer simply has to be kept in place to keep this show on the road. He will have learned more this year than he did in his whole playing career.
Its vital that the supporters make these feelings known to the so called 'powers that be' at every oppertunity. Its also vital to keep the feet on the ground.
It was a wonderful performance, but we've won nothing yet.
Upwards and onwards now, no preferance for the next game. Just bring it on.....
Back to top Go down
Lily8
All-Star
All-Star
Lily8

PostSubject: Re: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 12:20 pm

What a brilliant day! They played great! Callaghan was outstanding. Bolton was great. Kelly's doing really well in the full back line. Great to see Smith back. I think everyone knows the player you're refering to as having a bad game (not kavanagh) but overall it was a fantastic team performance. When Kelly kicked the ball back to McCormack that time it nearly gave us all a heart attack but thank god he didnt let it in anyway! Flynn did great too and Earley even though he didnt look 100%. John Doyle was everywhere, his work rate is unreal.
Bring on the next team. Hopefully we'll avoid the losers of Ulster but after today confidence will be up for whoever we meet next! Go on the Lilies!!!! Smile
Back to top Go down
geezerslilywhites
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 1:57 pm

just a couple of points to make, most have been touched on already:
Geezer has shown himself on many many occasions over the last 3 years to be a top class manager and a bloody quick learner too. Yes Grimley played a key role in the 1st 2 years but the notion that McGeeney hadn't a clue at all must now surely be put to bed. He and the rest of the management have also brought every player's football on a tonne since they took over.
I dont know Mr. Ashe or the lads on the county board but it is just unfathomable to think they won't go to Geezer and say please stay on for a few more years. to me it should be another 3 year term but they'll probably settle on 2 (just hope i don't see a 1 year extension as that just signals a lack of confidence).
On today's match itself (am currently abroad so could only watch on rte) the performance was fantastic from 10th minute or so on. Don't want to single players out for extra praise because it was the epitomy of a team performance where lads were putting their bodies on the line for one another but i do want to raise just one point: Peter Kelly was excellent and he has demonstrated that Geezer is more than willing to look outside the current panel and select players if he thinks they're up to it. I remember around the league time people were moaning that he hadnt discovered any new players.
Back to top Go down
kildarecat
All-Star
All-Star
kildarecat

PostSubject: Re: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 7:55 pm

I think the sceptics were entitled to their opinions after the poor league campaign and the Louth game, yesterday was proof positive that we have got somewhere back to last years best.
Derry might have been poor but we were ruthless in our disposal of them.
Our bad start was as much down to bad luck than any poor play from Kildare, the Derry goal was unfortunate, a miss hit free that somehow ended up in the net, what makes the performance all the more credible is how we cut down their 5 point lead with the minimum of fuss and eventually sauntered away to win pulling up.
If the commentator was to be believed Hurricane Katrina had resurfaced in the North Atlantic and was blowing in off the Lough Foyle estuary, and if Kildare didn't go in with at least a 10 point lead at half time they might aswell not bother their backsides coming out of dressing room for the second period.
The much maligned backs [me included] were outstanding yesterday, reminded me of the great Flynn, Ryan Rainbow half backline trio always supporting each other, does anyone think playing the possession game which we did for most of yesterdays game is the way forward for this team?, we patiently worked the scores not resorting to kicking aimless hopeful balls into the forward line, by all means use the direct ball if the opportunity presents itself but imo working the ball into scoreable positions is the future?.
Kavanagh was poor yesterday but is better than that, Sweeney was deservedly substituted had a poor day at the office and that booking surely hastened his departure, but as always with Roly he blows hot or cold, P. O'Neill popped over a couple of beauties and showed up for most of the game yesterday unlike in recent games where he would often go missing for periods.
Smith had only one thing on his mind and that was goal even though for the most part he was quiet enough but he should be an automatic choice next day as he's simply too talented to be sitting on the bench, considering that a few of our better forwards had off days and yet still put up an impressive 2-17 on the scoreboard is testament to how well our backs and midfield played.
I really don't care who we draw next Cork and Kerry apart none of the teams left are outstanding, Tyrone or Monaghan been the toughest I suppose.
I couldn't really hear what Bernard Flynn was saying as I was watching the game in the pub, but by the sounds of things he was talking pure shite, Antrim played us off the park????? ground control to Major Flynn!.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next