Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling

Go down 
+29
Ohtoohtobe
armagh4sam
Sam1928
croker
peile
foney
Always_White
Derfil
Jimmy winning matches
Dara
lilly-exile
kildarecat
geezerslilywhites
Lily8
Yellow Pearl
Highball
centreback
abl
Rex
FearBan
rboy
Dinny Breen
gaaweb
Horsebox
Stonecold
ChillDara
koko39
MD
bob12
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
lilly-exile
Intermediate
Intermediate

Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 8:56 pm

so many positives yesterday.... and much more in the tank, i think...
firstly doyle was immense. he spent so much time tracking back yet still scored 8/9 points.
leper showed his class yesterday and indeed the last few games.
a half fit dermot contolled the game. flynn has improved so much recently that i think our midfield is one of the best in the country.
improvement will come when kav, roli and flano get up to speed like there teamates.
smithy back is the cream on the cake... goals will come now.
loved the fluidity of the team as well. numbers on the back mean nothing, teamwork is what its all about.

finally, when i heard who was reffing the game i was very worried, but he had a great game... fair play to him. still hope we dont get him again though lol..
Back to top Go down
Dara
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 9:00 pm

The way we played yesterday I think we are a match for anyone with the possible exception of Kerry and doubts about Cork or Tyrone. Today will tell more about Tyrone.
Early in the thread it was mentioned that one player was not worth his place. This person has been identified by other posters as being in at least three different positions on the field. This would be in keeping with my belief that to be able to compete successfully with the likes of Kerry we are probably three or four player short on the team that started yesterday. Three of the players needed are on our panel, two still recovering from injury, and one who came on early in the game. The three or four who I would replace are all good footballers who can be very good on a given day, but lack consistency, are not always team players, and in some cases need a bit more determination.
For the future does anyone else think that Kelly could be a good center back. He is big and strong, reads the game well, knows how to tackle, can win the scrums, has a decent burst of speed, not afraid to go forward but does not neglect his defensive duties when doing so.
By the way I am not his clubmate, mother or any relation, in fact I never met the lad. Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 9:11 pm

I presume your talking about Peter Kelly, the man has had 4 good games at corner back, marked one of the best forwards in the country yesterday and was excellent .
We have finally found an possible long term corner back with buckets of pace and you would put him centre back? I wouldn agree. He probably could play there alright no problem but in the corner is our problem position,
And he fits the bill there. Perfectly.
Leave him there, let him get even better.
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 9:22 pm

frist ever win celtic park i think . brillant day to be a kildare man. worth bus trip
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 10:05 pm

First ever win in Derry full stop.

The performance is a result of excellent planning and management. The entire team left for Derry on Friday evening, getting the 4 hour journey out of the way the dsy before.
It was arranged that the whole team would have a training session in Celtic park on friday night, light run around and shooting practice get use to their surroundings.
In the past I have been on the way home from qualifier defeats,Derry and Sligo to see car loads of players all travelling home together, even met some of them stopping in McDonalds for a bite to eat.
And still you have the doubtets who are calling for McGeeneys head.
He has brought a level of prfessionalism to Kildare football that no Kildare man has ever seen before, and I for one don't want to go back there.
Back to top Go down
Derfil
Senior
Senior
Derfil

PostSubject: Re: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 11:29 pm

Kelly is going to be the full back for a long time. Never ever seen a man to tackle like him . He's absolutely ferocius, he's grease lightning, has a fantastic attitude, absolutely no dirt in him and has hands like shovels... The futures bright
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 11:34 pm

Spot on Fionn, some people can't see the level of detail that the man has brought to the set up.
They are more worried about whats's written on the teams training tops.

The number one priority that Mr.Ashe should be turning his attention to right now is getting Geezer signed up for as long as he wants. Forget everything else until the deal is done, as has been said I don't want to go back to the way we were before the man arrived.

It should also be noted that we won yesterday without probably our best player after Dermot last year that being Mickey Conway and a player with the ability of Rob Kelly.

Roll on the draw the lads are only starting to to warm up.
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 11:42 pm

The way Geezer plays it positions mean nothing, except for Shorty, very similar to Mickey Harte philosophy . How many times did we see Kelly, McGrillen (who scored), Bolton (who was occupying the full back line some of the match and scored) getting forward. JD and Leper have 13 & 15 on theirs backs but rarely play their. When a player attacks, be if from full back, corner back other players funnel back to cover.

So its the ability to get forward, cover and defend when needed is what he has instilled in the team. Its demands immence physical & mental toughness. It's great to see a team fulfill that potential after the tough league and training regime.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 12:02 am

What they have on their warming up shirts is what they talk about during training in what they need to do in order to win a game.
Score more then 16 scores, concede less than 10.
Work Hard, Move quickly, Work Rate, Team Work.
For me it hammers home the importance of all these, by putting them on the
shirt - looking at them during the warm up this is what we talked about in training, this is what we need to do, this is what we need to focus on.
When we're defending dont concede more than 10, when we're attacking make sure we hit more than 16.
For me, there is no showmanship in this, its quite a good idea.
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 5:04 am

JME wrote:

The number one priority that Mr.Ashe should be turning his attention to right now is getting Geezer signed up for as long as he wants. .
heard that geezer getting other 2 years
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 5:13 am

Good if true but could have gave him another 3.
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 5:29 am

i seen anthony tohill after match yesterday did not look happy . derry fans shouted some abused at team after match
Back to top Go down
Always_White
Intermediate
Intermediate
Always_White

PostSubject: Re: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 5:37 am

JME, I wouldn't let a spacer like Flynn get to me, he got too many knocks to the head when playing for Meath and his brain is all scrambled.
While Derry are not the team they were It was still a fantastic result and well done to all and sundry. There were so many men of the match that it would be unfair to pick out any one. This was the first match in my opinion that everyone of the players did their bit and more. I know that James kavanagh was criticised but he still worked very hard, things just didn't go for him on the day. Come the next day and I'm sure it'll be a different story. The hunger this team has is just breathtaking. If they keep improving at the present rate and put two halves together like the second ones in Belfast and Derry we'll beat the best of them.
On a side note I couldn't get over how little support there was for Derry at the Match, I'd say there were near as many Kildare supporters there.
Back to top Go down
bob12
All-Star
All-Star
bob12

PostSubject: Re: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 6:42 am

JME wrote:

The number one priority that Mr.Ashe should be turning his attention to right now is getting Geezer signed up for as long as he wants. .

heard that geezer getting other 2 years

I hope so this would indeed be good news
Back to top Go down
foney
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 7:05 am

Yippee great result... Those new guys on the team .. what a find... I heard most of them came through from the Junior team... I hope the county board keeps the same system in place for next year.. gosh the tought of all that new talent.... As a kildare mad supporter, thanks for all that new talent, now were going somewhere. To see kildare beat monaghan Smile
Back to top Go down
Derfil
Senior
Senior
Derfil

PostSubject: Re: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 7:50 am

Flynns parents are from Klldare. You'd think he'd have his finger closer to the pulse than he did.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 7:56 am

Flynn doesn't bother me it's just the lazy view he spouted without actually any evidence.

If they are going to state something as fact at least make sure it's true beifore saying it.

A basic thing like watching the previous match of the two teams you are reporting on.
You don't even have to leave your house to do it.
Back to top Go down
peile
Intercounty
Intercounty
peile

PostSubject: Re: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 5:59 pm

fone wrote:
i seen anthony tohill after match yesterday did not look happy . derry fans shouted some abused at team after match

I was talking to Tohill after the match. He thought Kildare were very good and was surprised we didn't win leinster. He reckoned Monaghan have put everything into the Ulster and would be very vulnerable if they lost.
Back to top Go down
croker
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Fantastic result for Kildare espeically in Celtic Park. Great to see that so many Kildare supporters made the trip given that it was a three/four hour drive and that it was on tv.
Great displays from Darryl Flynn, Emmet Bolton (mopped up a lot of possession), Leper, Peter Kelly and JD. Well done lads, you made us proud!!
Back to top Go down
peile
Intercounty
Intercounty
peile

PostSubject: Re: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 8:35 pm

Credit to Kildare supporters, still a good turnout despite distance, price and live tv. More importantly, the crowd got behind the team from start to finish, even when the 5 pints down.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 8:39 pm

Agree peile the Kildare suport his year has been exceptional. We/they/I/you are a gredit to the County.
In fact if there was an award for Kildare player of the year so far it would go to the 16th man in the stands.

There will be a nice turn out next day I would imaginge again. So it should be they lads deserve all the support they can get.
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 9:12 pm

The best 35 minutes of football I've seen a Kildare team play for well over a decade. Amazing stuff from 1 to 15 and on into the subs.

Total credit due to McGeeney and co. as well as the players who really stepped up to the mark.

I posted last week we needed improvement in the following :

1. Free-taking - BIGTIME CHECK
2. Forwards confidence - CHECK (Paudie, Callaghan, Smith, JD especially)
3. Decision making - CHECK , some of the passing and movement was excellent

Darryl Flynn deserves a mention. This guy is turning into a monster for Kildare this season.
P.Kelly is the find of the year also. What a cool cucumber this guy is. Nearly scored a goal too ;-)

The return of Smith is huge also. First thing on that lads mind is GOAL and thats a great threat to half inside.

Loads of positives. Just hope 4 games in 4 weeks doesnt take its toll next weekend but we really are taking some form into the game.

2-17 away in Derry....HOLY SHIT!!!!!
Back to top Go down
armagh4sam
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 12:49 am

Hiya lads, used to post the odd time on the old forum and i’ve made the jump across.

Watched five games over the weekend and you and Tyrone stood out by a country mile.

On the old site I argued with one of the regulars, can’t remember who, after he took the hump with McGeeney after Louth. I said you judge a year at the end, not at the end of the province.

That said, they are not in the qf yet, a big showing against Monaghan needed.

Not overly versed on the Kildare set up, is Carew the attacking coach? If so, he is doing a fine job and, obviously, the Armagh influence of McGeeney and O’Rourke is paying off in defence. Not just the tackling, but the pressure, the positioning and the option taking coming out was first rate.

You will need to tie McGrillen to the post he is defending because that lad does not want to stay still. His bursts forward were brilliant in the second half, but he mustn’t forget to protect the house.

Grimley, from someone looking in, is doing a fantastic job lads. Remember, sometimes a little leeway is needed to achieve long term results.

Plenty in Armagh will be behind you now!
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 12:58 am

Glad to see you found us again Armagh4Sam, you talked a lot of sense on the old forum and it was good having an outside perspective.
Unfortunatley our powers that be deemed us "Persona non grata" and the big delete button on the forum was pushed.

Nice to hear your some of your fellow county men are behind us, as you probably remember there were quite a few on the old forum who had a leaning towards the orchard county.

Unlucky over the Weekend, I felt sure you would beat the old Dubs. If that goal had sneaked in with 10 mins left it would have been allover.

Also can you tell your county board to leave Geezer alone where he is and don't be trying to tap him up over the summer. Wink
Back to top Go down
armagh4sam
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 1:06 am

Whoops, I mean Geezer, not Grimley in the last line of my first post.

We were very poor JME, I think to exit the Championship playing turgid football is particuarly hard to take. If we had of went at them, and lost, you would have said 'fair enough, work to be done' but it didn't happen - we have great youth coming through though.

Same team for Monaghan lads?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling    Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling  - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Great Result lets get bandwagon rolling
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next