Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Monaghan result

Go down 
+28
armagh4sam
Sam1928
stanley
jnrwhite
tomcruise
shortgrass
browser
abl
Rex
gaaweb
carburyman
Jimmy winning matches
Admin3
bob12
Always_White
realfone
Stonecold
bloodsub
Ogie
kildarecat
Derfil
MD
Dinny Breen
Horsebox
Yellow Pearl
Lily8
FearBan
lilly-exile
32 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

Monaghan result Empty
PostSubject: Monaghan result   Monaghan result Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 4:44 pm

Think that puts to bed any notion that grimley is or was the brains behind the Kildare machine.
Last 8 three years running. Well done lads.

James Kavanagh loves Croker. Absolute fantastic performance, set up the goal too.
1/4 finals next. Meath or Roscommon please.
Back to top Go down
lilly-exile
Intermediate
Intermediate

Monaghan result Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monaghan result   Monaghan result Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 4:53 pm

good win and with johnny off form - even better. hopefully some people at rte will realise we are not a 1 man team.. jimmers played a stormer in the second half. roli wasnt shy in telling mcbennett what he thought of him after the goal. only concern was we nearly let them back in at the end when we took the foot off the gas. hopefully dermots knee is ok.
Back to top Go down
FearBan
Intercounty
Intercounty
FearBan

Monaghan result Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monaghan result   Monaghan result Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 7:26 pm

Great win, I honestly would't be concerned by the finish we had them hammered at that stage and were winning pulling up. That's 5 wknds in a row, they had to be sensible and ease off.

Not trying to take away from our win but Monaghan were atrocious and we made them look it! All over the field we had the beating of them and their only answer was fouling and intimidation but again we showed great discipline and let them play their games. Alan Smith's point near the end was a great answer to their corners backs persistent fouling, even their keeper had a go at rising Smith but we did our talking on the scoreboard! I don't care who we get in the nxt round apart from Tyrones who's fitness might tell against us after 6 weeks on the trot. There will never be a better time to play Kerry with Calvin and O'Se missing and I think we'd cause them serious trouble. I'd put us as favourites against the other two so wouldn't mind them either.

Lads we have a great chance here, a serious team with the bit between their teeth. Who knows what could happen from here...

Finally, one negative, poor showing I thought from Kildare support. From where I was sitting in Hogan I thought we didn't bring many. Those who were there made great noise but not enough went.
Back to top Go down
Lily8
All-Star
All-Star
Lily8

Monaghan result Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monaghan result   Monaghan result Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 8:40 pm

Another great day for the lilies!!

Fair play to all the lads! Kavanagh was brilliant and definitely deserved man of the match. I thought they shoulda been lettin him take the frees sooner when Johnny was missin them. Also thought Morgan O Flaherty was great, he was pickin up the ball everywhere. Fair play to Peter Kelly too, he did great on Tommy Freeman. Great performance all round. Hope Dermot's ok.

Roll on the quarters. If we avoid Tyrone I think we've a great chance! Go on the Lilies!!!
Back to top Go down
Yellow Pearl
Senior
Senior

Monaghan result Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monaghan result   Monaghan result Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 10:28 pm

Yeah another good result today, the performance and work ethic os something I couldnt ever tire of watching.
From start to finsih the lads showed their willingness to die for the ball, a willingness to go the extra mile for the team.
Johnnny had an off day with the kicking but his ability to accept this and work even harder to get others in the zone was remarkable. I was hard on Kavanagh here a while back, he was immense today. As the weeks go by this team seems to mature and grow, it seems unthinlable that it is going to end at some stage.
I won't allow myself to get carried away just yet, but I will enjoy these results as they happen.
I genuinely don't think we have anything to fear from any of the remaining teams. Yes I would like to get Meath or Roscommon but we are a match for any of them.

Well done again to all concerned. Roll on the 3rd consecutive All-Ireland final cheers
Back to top Go down
Horsebox
Senior
Senior

Monaghan result Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monaghan result   Monaghan result Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 11:09 pm

Great performance...
One of my highlights was peter kelly man marking freeman, followed him everywhere even when freeman went roaming out the field. One moment that sticks out was when Kelly pushed him over de sideline on his own 21 in the last few mins...brilliant.
Good to see flano find a bit of form and of course jimmers who took his chances very well, great to see the confident levels soaring throughout the team.
Roll on q/f.....
Back to top Go down
Dinny Breen
Senior
Senior
Dinny Breen

Monaghan result Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monaghan result   Monaghan result Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 11:12 pm

Great result not a great performance plenty to work on for next week which is good.

Our first 20 mins performance is starting to grate, Spillane actually offered an intelligent analysis today for once and felt that our warm-up is too intense and we are taking the field physically and mentally flat. Is he on to something as something needs to change?
Back to top Go down
MD
All-Star
All-Star
MD

Monaghan result Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monaghan result   Monaghan result Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 12:15 am

What a day great peformance by the lads. Eoghan O flats made a big diffence which changed the game imo. Kavanagh was top drawer as for Smyth,their backs constantly were hitting them two but the lads did their talking by scoring points. JD kept going,full credit to him even though it wasnt going for him. Everybody played their part and Im seriously not afraid of anyone bar Kerry,we can beat Tyrone.

On another note,the umpires were shocking,Im sure some fan saw the incident where Chalky I think and Smyth were getting hit all over and nothing was done,disgrace.
Back to top Go down
Derfil
Senior
Senior
Derfil

Monaghan result Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monaghan result   Monaghan result Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 5:07 am

Brilliant. Beat a top 8 side pulling up.Folks can talk all they want about Kerry and the rest . No fear of any of them. There's an All_Ireland in Kildare. Let Ireland eat their words. Commeeeee on KIldare.... I'm on my holidays after next week knowing Kildare wont be.

Callaghan one week, Jimmers the next and always Doyle....... Stop them boys and we've ONeil Smith and O Flaherty... Our time is now.. I've seen plenty of teams in my time and KiIdare are the real deal... I'm so proud of them right now. Always will be. Lets get to Croker next week and ROAR then home against a provincial champion.
Back to top Go down
kildarecat
All-Star
All-Star
kildarecat

Monaghan result Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monaghan result   Monaghan result Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 7:58 am

Finally, one negative, poor showing I thought from Kildare support. From where I was sitting in Hogan I thought we didn't bring many. Those who were there made great noise but not enough went

Marcus, this is the thing about double headers if you're on first Croke Pk looks deserted, thats why I think it would have made perfect sense to play in Navan where the atmosphere would have been more condensed.

Just one point after yesterday, how in the name of whatever god you believe in if any? did Louth beat us???????, a poor Dublin team hardly broke sweat, Louth looked like a rugby team that had a round ball thrown in instead of an egg, jesus they were absolutely awful!

As for ourselves I knew after 10 minutes we were going to win, Monaghan were shit poor and we should have won by at least double the final score.
Question guys should Johnny Doyle have been substituted? now don't give me he works his socks off, his confidence was shot to pieces yesterday and imo he should have been hauled to the line?.

Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

Monaghan result Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monaghan result   Monaghan result Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 8:56 am

Good win I would say, rather than great - it was obvious that Kildare were the better team apart from Monaghan's five-minute spurt. Having to be out six days after losing a provincial final is a disgrace and once again, the four beaten provincial finalists have lost.

Kildare have great momentum now if they can avoid injuries. I too wouldn't be concerned by the so called fadeout at the end. Kildare were in control and had made changes to save Dermot and the yellow card men.

Should have been 10 or 12 points clear of course with the dreadful wides and failure to again take goal chances. That lack of killer instinct is the only reason I don't think they can't win an All-Ireland. But having said that I agree that they would take any of the champions on. The only ones I'd want to avoid is Tyrone and believe it or not Roscommon. I think the Rossies would be very difficult for Dermot on an emotional level. Now is the time to get Kerry with Tom Se and Catwalk Galvin out of the reckoning.

Kildarecat, Louth had the stuffing knocked out of them and once Dublin got the start that was it. Also, Kildare decided to give defending a miss in Navan that day.
Back to top Go down
kildarecat
All-Star
All-Star
kildarecat

Monaghan result Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monaghan result   Monaghan result Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 9:07 am

Ogie Johnny?

Yeh I agree as regards provincial losers been asked to tog out 6 days after a demoralising defeat in your provincial final, ffs Down scored 3-.20.
If that is a fair assumption of the football in the west well bring on Roscommon?.
Back to top Go down

Monaghan result Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monaghan result   Monaghan result Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 9:36 am

Roscommon, Meath, Kerry, Tyrone in order of preference.

I'd like to see the following draw.

Cork v Dublin
Tyrone v Kerry
Kildare v Roscommon
Down v Meath

I have a sneaky feeling we'll get Meath.
Back to top Go down
FearBan
Intercounty
Intercounty
FearBan

Monaghan result Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monaghan result   Monaghan result Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 10:12 am

If we want to win Sam I think we should want Kerry. Put a message out that we are serious! I'd rank the 4 winners as follows: Tyrones, Kerry, Meath and Roscommon and I'd rank us ahead Meath and Roscommon.

I'm sure people are still saying we have been getting soft draws but think back to when each was made. Apart from Leitrim everyone agreed that we drew one of the hardest fixtures. Antrim, Derry and Monaghan. Bring on whoever and we'll give them a rattle.
Back to top Go down
kildarecat
All-Star
All-Star
kildarecat

Monaghan result Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monaghan result   Monaghan result Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 10:36 am

Strange thing about yesterday we were not slow out of the bocks we dominated possession from nearly start to finish our kicking was awful, missed chances that a school boy would have taken, Johnny Doyle amazingly the main culprit, against another team this blind loyalty might have cost us dear, no ifs or buts about it, Johnny should have been hauled ashore thank heavens James Kavanagh stepped up to the mark or we might well have lost a game we should have won by a cricket score. Credit where its due McGeeney has transformed the team especially the defence since the Louth ambush, I say ambush because thats what it was!, Louth are not in the same league as us literally, but the Geezer does make some strange decisions at times, dropping Sweeney after one poor performance, both Eoin and Roli made a huge difference when they came on, begs the question if they were on from the start would we have had Monaghans ass whipped by half time?.
Back to top Go down
lilly-exile
Intermediate
Intermediate

Monaghan result Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monaghan result   Monaghan result Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 10:55 am

i think dropping roli, might have been the kick up the ass he needed. correct me if im wrong, but he has started every championship match for the last few years. maybe he was taking his place for granted. of the starting 15, jimmers was the most likely to be dropped after the derry game, but he showed his class yesterday. but isnt it great to have the competition for a starting place and also a bench that can contribute 1-2..
Back to top Go down
bloodsub
Intercounty
Intercounty
bloodsub

Monaghan result Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monaghan result   Monaghan result Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 11:00 am

fionnmccool wrote:
Roscommon, Meath, Kerry, Tyrone in order of preference.

I'd like to see the following draw.

Cork v Dublin
Tyrone v Kerry
Kildare v Roscommon
Down v Meath

I have a sneaky feeling we'll get Meath.

The first two are not possible there. I want us to draw Kerry, now is the best chance of beating them and I think we're best equipped to do it. Great performace by the lads, Johnny won't have another day like that for years.

How would hauling Johnny off boost his confidence?
Back to top Go down
kildarecat
All-Star
All-Star
kildarecat

Monaghan result Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monaghan result   Monaghan result Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 11:13 am

How would hauling Johnny off boost his confidence?

Bloodsub if you're having a poor game you're entitled to be substituted and if Johnny was called ashore yesterday I'm sure he would have understood, bottom line is, if it was another player he would almost certainly have been hauled off, nobody should be untouchable, and if Johnny was substituted it would make him all the more determined to put things right next time!.
Back to top Go down

Monaghan result Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monaghan result   Monaghan result Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 11:32 am

Go that arseways

I meant

Dublin v Kerry
Cork v Tyrone
Kildare v Roscommon
Meath v Down
Back to top Go down
bloodsub
Intercounty
Intercounty
bloodsub

Monaghan result Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monaghan result   Monaghan result Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 12:28 pm

true, nobody should be untouchable, but its not like he wasn't contributing. covered every blade of grass again, they just didn't go over for him. they will next week.
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

Monaghan result Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monaghan result   Monaghan result Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 12:51 pm

Great result, good performances across the park most notably from Kavanagh, Morgan O'Flaherty & Leper. Starting Kavanagh in the full forward line was a master stroke. Thought Shorty was a bit dodgy at times.

Tactically & mentally Kildare were by far the better team. Monaghan had no answer for them. You have to hand it to Geezer & the team every match they have brought different tactics and roles to the game. That's not easy do or switch and it takes great focus and mentality to switch like that.

Against Louth we won about 30% of ball around the middle, I would say this is now more like 65-70% which is a great base to start from.

Don't agree with hauling Johnny ashore, some opposition approach games to tactically nulify Johnny (as did Monaghan yesterday, no.10 gave him awful abuse). Johnny has the mentality to pull it out of the bag when the chips are down, you take him off and your giving a boost to the opposition. Fair enough he had a poor day from the frees but his work elsewhere was immense.

Onwards and upwards.
Back to top Go down
kildarecat
All-Star
All-Star
kildarecat

Monaghan result Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monaghan result   Monaghan result Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 1:17 pm

Stonecold If Johnny misses one or two early on he usually puts it right soon after but yesterday he was having a mare of all mares he just couldnt get it right no matter how hard he tried both frees and general play so imo the best option would have been to call him ashore, Kavanagh scored one beauty from a free yesterday, time maybe to start training him in as stand by if Johnny is having an off day, and lets be honest Johnny hasn't been anywhere near as effective with his free taking in the last few seasons, we got away with it yesterday but every team needs a consistent free taker and Johnny is not consistent enough and in a close game it might be the rock we perish on.
It would typical Johnny to put them all over the bar the next day, but if he doesn't? who is ready to step up to the plate, it obvious yesterday we had no plan b as regards free taking. and it was only in desperation that James stepped up!.
Back to top Go down
MD
All-Star
All-Star
MD

Monaghan result Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monaghan result   Monaghan result Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 1:37 pm

The frees were from difficult angles in fairness to johnny. They werent the easiest altough you'd expect better. These days happen and you want others to stand up and be counted for and thats what Kavanagh especially did yesterday and also put over a lovely free,we have the firepower all over the pitch.
Back to top Go down
realfone
Junior A
Junior A

Monaghan result Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monaghan result   Monaghan result Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 1:37 pm

Great result yeaterday and what great managment, the changes made from the sideline turned this game around. No messing, changes made early when we needed them. This is the sign of a good team all round. Very commited players to the cause, the best management team, a very good bench, strength in depth.This shows with all those new players coming in from the junior team. Peter kelly did a brilliant jop at corner back as did the rest of the lads.Kavanagh is back to his best.We are a better team overall as we dont depend on any single player, This is the sign a complete team with strenght in depth.Well done to all concerned
Back to top Go down
Always_White
Intermediate
Intermediate
Always_White

Monaghan result Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monaghan result   Monaghan result Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 1:52 pm

Kildarecat if you don't mind me saying so that is the greatest load of bullsh1t I've read on this forum for a long time to suggest that Johnny be taken off. Are you forgetting the huge amount of work that he does all over the pitch? He played a part in the goal that Roli got or did you miss that? To even hint that it would help his confidence by substituting him is crazy as for making him work harder what rubbish, Johnny works his socks off all the time both on the field and in training. He doesn't need the humiliation of being substituted to make him work harder.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Monaghan result Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monaghan result   Monaghan result Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Monaghan result
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next