Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

GAA to announce SKY deal

Go down 
+28
Big Full Back
Botch
losthope
johnsmyth
Taibi
Flamingo
Cilldara_2000
Bān go Lēir
micky murphy
Cassanata
kildaregaa365
overthebar
Stonecold
Ogie
Sam1928
reichenhall
jimmers
murof
SeamusMurphy
kickingking
steviegenius
LillieLad
BelieveToAchieve
kelf
The observer
Rex
TommyKeegan
topcat
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
micky murphy
All-Star
All-Star

GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2014 3:35 am

Fair ball Tommy wasn't aware of that don't subscribe to it, so they only show them outside Ireland?
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 12:37 am

Setanta show League Matches.. But Im fairly sure they would still pay a few bob for them ?
Back to top Go down
losthope
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 5:20 am

I don't know how many of the posters on here are involved with clubs, not that you have to be mind you, but any that are should be making sure that their clubs are getting ready to look for a bit of the bounty that is undoubtedly building in Croke Park, with the stadium debt now paid off there will be an opportunity there. Get your plans in place boys and girls
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 8:40 am

Back to top Go down
losthope
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 8:57 am

Pay to read about Gaa you must be joking, sure I can come on here and get it for free, who do those  people think they are making money off the backs of good Gaa people  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes 

Here's a far better link imo

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/this-is-gaa-country-come-on-in-sky-264449.html

and its free !!
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 9:08 am

Got to love the irony ballyboy.  Very Happy

Brilliant.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 11:54 am

Yawn, how original. It's kind of pathetic from GAA people. Didn't realise you charity fundraise for the Business Post and spend time helping them put it together off your own back. Also didn't realise I signed up to an amateur ethos code in my contract. Read Donal's piece. Self-serving tripe that avoids facts and the main issues and just hammers home obvious points. This is GAA country, yeah, but did Donal and his GPA buddies realise that Sky actually punishes massively every key GAA demographic in the country. Sorry, maybe that would take research, time and effort that isn't free.

Course you'd have to pay to read that, but then again, I'm not an amateur organisation. (sorry, really pisses me off when people expect writing for free. Go to Super Valu tomorrow, eat a pack of donuts, give your opinion and walk out. Same thing.) Basically if you want to read the thing, go nuts, if not then zero problem. It's like Bernard Brogan on Twitter raving about it and this being some sort of measure of the joy of the deal when Bernard is a GAA agent and appears on Sky TV ads and paid handsomely for it so how is he a measure of an elderly man in Leitrim who has given his life to GAA.

But as for that crap jibe, you hit a nerve because it's demeaning and insulting yet typical. Whatever you do for a living to get through difficult weeks in this climate, I don't expect the sum of your week for nothing, and I certainly wouldn't mimic you if you said I'd to pay for your efforts. It's f**king bullshit and typical modern Ireland. Gimme, gimme, gimme.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 11:57 pm

TommyKeegan wrote:
Lads love swallowing the spin. One third of all live games in the GAA's showpiece event are behind a paywall, causing those that create the games through their charity of money and time to pay more to view their own product. The GAA says it's a great deal for the GAA, but the top brass in the GAA forget that the GAA is the members. So is it a good deal for the GAA when the GAA has to pay to watch? As for this international aspect, ah lads, relax. It's going to be 10 minutes before throw in, five minutes after throw in and highlights will be 30 seconds every three hours on Sky Sports News much like Speedway is now.

And some lads love spinning a negative!

20 years ago there were six games on live TV, last year there were less than the year before. I've always found that a person only calls something spin if they don't agree with it or it doesn't fit their view. As for the 30 seconds of Speedway on Sky Sports News, you've conveniently left out the live coverage of all their events, the features, analysis and quality production!

You know I love you, but we have only agreed on about three things our whole time knowing each other TK! And actually, I can only think of one now and you had to be brought around to that way of thinking!!
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2014 12:22 am

ballyboy wrote:
I don't know how many of the posters on here are involved with clubs, not that you have to be mind you, but any that are should be making sure that their clubs are getting ready to look for a bit of the bounty that is undoubtedly building in Croke Park, with the stadium debt now paid off there will be an opportunity there. Get your plans in place boys and girls

Maybe We might get a few bob for Conleths Park ??
We could re name it the SKY Dome.. or the Rupert Stadium..
Back to top Go down
Loads of Pints
All-Star
All-Star
Loads of Pints

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2014 12:27 am

Punishes massively every demographic in the GAA? Are you for real? all things considered the only 'demographic' that matters in the GAA are the players themselves.

Inter county players not only make a significant contribution personally in terms of time and volunteering etc but it is them who generate about 80/90% of the funding the GAA receive. Since this story broke players on the whole have been unequivocal in their support for this deal. Not only will it increase the level of exposure of the games to wider audiences it also enhances their own profile and generates more money for player welfare supports.

This old argument of the deal cutting off poor old Johnny who 'gave his life to the GAA' is bollox. Players in the 21st Century actually do give their lives to the GAA by playing/training almost 7 days a week not to mention giving up their time to present medals etc for what reward? Travel expenses, a tracksuit and a measly couple of hundred quid at the end of the year in a grant.

If that cohort of the GAA are almost 100% in support of this deal then its good enough for me. I don't really care about a 80 year old man, disgruntled journos or even past player pundits. Embrace the future of the GAA!
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2014 2:17 am

Loads of Pints wrote:
Punishes massively every demographic in the GAA? Are you for real? all things considered the only 'demographic' that matters in the GAA are the players themselves.

Inter county players not only make a significant contribution personally in terms of time and volunteering etc but it is them who generate about 80/90% of the funding the GAA receive. Since this story broke players on the whole have been unequivocal in their support for this deal. Not only will it increase the level of exposure of the games to wider audiences it also enhances their own profile and generates more money for player welfare supports.

This old argument of the deal cutting off poor old Johnny who 'gave his life to the GAA' is bollox. Players in the 21st Century actually do give their lives to the GAA by playing/training almost 7 days a week not to mention giving up their time to present medals etc for what reward? Travel expenses, a tracksuit and a measly couple of hundred quid at the end of the year in a grant.

If that cohort of the GAA are almost 100% in support of this deal then its good enough for me. I don't really care about a 80 year old man, disgruntled journos or even past player pundits. Embrace the future of the GAA!

Brilliant post. The point about the players was so obvious it has been missed up to now. You should have been on primetime last week.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2014 3:08 am

I'm completely for real Sam, and you think intercounty players are only ones that matter? I agree they are key but to suggest no one else matters in making them what they are is ludicrous and insulting to every tea lady, jersey washer and underage coach. And if you think top GAA players get nothing out of it other than a tracksuit and boots, you are crazy. The top couple of per cent of players get businesses and livlihoods out of it. Yes, they give a lot of their time but the old man you can't give a fuck about and so on have given a fair chunk of their lives to accommodate players being able to reach these unprecedented levels. Here, this is why I'm real...

Back when the Heineken Cup made the switch, viewership trends were damning. Compare Leinster’s Saturday afternoon quarter-final in 2006 on RTÉ with the 2007 mirror image on Sky. Numbers watching nosedived from 255,000 to 47,000; under-14 figures dropped from 27,000 to 2,000; rural viewers collapsed from 111,000 to 9,000; farmers watching fell from 19,000 to 1,000; people over 55 plummeted from 98,000 to 14,000. And these sectors hit hardest by a move to pay TV just happen to be the sectors that GAA relies more on than any other sport here.

During the week, Pádraic Duffy batted away such statistics, claiming it was different because Sky showed all the games and not some. But the man who compiled them, UCD lecturer Paul Rouse, has more analysis that could have ruined Duffy’s defence. When English cricket shared home tests the figures were just as damning. Across the opening game of the 2004 New Zealand series, 4.47 million watched on Channel 4. Across the second match 898,000 switched on Sky. Indeed by the time Sky bought all rights in 2006, only 33 per cent of those who had watched on Channel 4 and 18 per cent who had watched on BBC tuned in. The truth - then as now - was a cash-for-numbers trade.

That’s never going to be good in terms of the GAA because it’s in the rare position, despite its financial success and €52m income, of being built on people and not profit. And while the stock response from those who made this deal was it’s good for the association, it seems they’ve forgotten what or, more precisely, who the association is. The GAA is its membership therefore the GAA is being forced to pay a lot just to watch the product they’ve produced as volunteers. As for those abroad the deal is claimed to service, most already watch games easily and while GAA is hugely limited in how it can grow outside Ireland, it’s not limited in how it can shrink inside Ireland.

There’s a question amidst all this as key as it is obvious. Should an amateur organisation that is run by people's free time and charitable donations tell those same people that if they want to watch one in three championship games live on television, they’ve to subscribe for around €800? Duffy did suggest they can just go to the games, but it’s not the place of that same organisation to tell its volunteers to service the considerable debt a day out in this climate runs up. He and others seem to forget they’re talking to members, not customers, and it all has shades of a rich man building his mansion in a council estate before asking the neighbours to pick up his bar tab.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2014 3:44 am

TommyKeegan wrote:
I'm completely for real Sam, and you think intercounty players are only ones that matter? I agree they are key but to suggest no one else matters in making them what they are is ludicrous and insulting to every tea lady, jersey washer and underage coach. And if you think top GAA players get nothing out of it other than a tracksuit and boots, you are crazy. The top couple of per cent of players get businesses and livlihoods out of it. Yes, they give a lot of their time but the old man you can't give a fuck about and so on have given a fair chunk of their lives to accommodate players being able to reach these unprecedented levels. Here, this is why I'm real...

Back when the Heineken Cup made the switch, viewership trends were damning. Compare Leinster’s Saturday afternoon quarter-final in 2006 on RTÉ with the 2007 mirror image on Sky. Numbers watching nosedived from 255,000 to 47,000; under-14 figures dropped from 27,000 to 2,000; rural viewers collapsed from 111,000 to 9,000; farmers watching fell from 19,000 to 1,000; people over 55 plummeted from 98,000 to 14,000. And these sectors hit hardest by a move to pay TV just happen to be the sectors that GAA relies more on than any other sport here.

During the week, Pádraic Duffy batted away such statistics, claiming it was different because Sky showed all the games and not some. But the man who compiled them, UCD lecturer Paul Rouse, has more analysis that could have ruined Duffy’s defence. When English cricket shared home tests the figures were just as damning. Across the opening game of the 2004 New Zealand series, 4.47 million watched on Channel 4. Across the second match 898,000 switched on Sky. Indeed by the time Sky bought all rights in 2006, only 33 per cent of those who had watched on Channel 4 and 18 per cent who had watched on BBC tuned in. The truth - then as now - was a cash-for-numbers trade.

That’s never going to be good in terms of the GAA because it’s in the rare position, despite its financial success and €52m income, of being built on people and not profit. And while the stock response from those who made this deal was it’s good for the association, it seems they’ve forgotten what or, more precisely, who the association is. The GAA is its membership therefore the GAA is being forced to pay a lot just to watch the product they’ve produced as volunteers. As for those abroad the deal is claimed to service, most already watch games easily and while GAA is hugely limited in how it can grow outside Ireland, it’s not limited in how it can shrink inside Ireland.

There’s a question amidst all this as key as it is obvious. Should an amateur organisation that is run by people's free time and charitable donations tell those same people that if they want to watch one in three championship games live on television, they’ve to subscribe for around €800? Duffy did suggest they can just go to the games, but it’s not the place of that same organisation to tell its volunteers to service the considerable debt a day out in this climate runs up. He and others seem to forget they’re talking to members, not customers, and it all has shades of a rich man building his mansion in a council estate before asking the neighbours to pick up his bar tab.

This is where I think you're wrong. I mean you're right, because it's so big it could shrink, but all the other threats to the amateur ethos, all the things that were anathema to the GAA initially, generally surrounding money, not even the Seanie Johnston transfer, affected me as an underage or adult coach going down to the club. Or anyone else I know at my club. You find reasons not to bother or you find reasons to carry on. You can be negative or positive. And the GAA being part of the fabric, it won't shrink. That's why they get away with so much unfortunately, but it's just how it is. Money hasn't ruined the GAA. It has changed it. We evolve, we move on. It'll be there long after us.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2014 3:49 am

I'm beginning to reconsider my position now! Even the most conservative man in the most conservative county board in Ireland is in favour!

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/sky-deal-will-force-rtes-hand-declares-murphy-264804.html

Frankie makes the point that there were 94 championship games last year and 40 in total were televised. So that's a huge number of games not being televised anyway last year. A considerable majority in fact, closing in on 60%. That was neither Sky's fault, nor Jason Ryan's.
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2014 4:28 am

Smile not doing too bad yourself Ogie.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2014 7:44 pm

flourman wrote:
Smile not doing too bad yourself Ogie.

It's the flourman inspiration
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star
jimmers

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2014 4:04 am

SKY report on the Mayo/New York game

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/9298504/
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2014 4:08 am

So they got a goal at the start of the game (??) and in this annual competition in "Connaw" will now play "Sligo or Laaaaaaaaytrim". Good start and all that.
Back to top Go down
if_in_doubt
All-Star
All-Star
if_in_doubt

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2014 4:29 am

TommyKeegan wrote:
So they got a goal at the start of the game (??) and in this annual competition in "Connaw" will now play "Sligo or Laaaaaaaaytrim". Good start and all that.

Roscommon surely and not Sligo?

Good to see Sky give it a bit of coverage anyways, I can't imagine there was much comment on the match on any of the Irish channels, did they even mention it on League Sunday last night?

Must be Jason Ryan's fault they mispronounced the province and Leitrim though, you'd never see any of the sports analysts on RTE do something like that...
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2014 4:36 am

On tg4 tonight. Just saying it's a little insulting. They wouldn't get a Bundesliga team name wrong etc.
Back to top Go down
if_in_doubt
All-Star
All-Star
if_in_doubt

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2014 4:49 am

They probably wouldn't but then again they've been covering German teams for donkey years through the European competition so would be a bit more familiar with them.

I'd be surprised if they mispronounced it during the Heineken Cup coverage, although for those games there's specialist rugby analysts / commentators rather than a regular presenter involved.

God knows how any times the likes of Dunphy and Giles mispronoune names yet they somehow get away with it. I'm sure the lads on The Sunday Game have gotten names wrong in the past too.

As far as insulting goes, then maybe Sky are just following the models RTE and TV3 seem to set.

It's a credit to TG4 that despite having limited resources and being a minority language broadcaster that they're still the only ones capable of covering all aspects off the GAA, and provide good highlights combined with analysis that isn't agenda driven or predictable.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2014 4:52 am

Whatever else we disagree on, couldn't agree more on TG4. Probably deserve better treatment when rights deals handed out because without them there wouldn't really be much coverage from September through to June!
Back to top Go down
if_in_doubt
All-Star
All-Star
if_in_doubt

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2014 4:56 am

To be honest I'm not a fan of Sky by any means, but if it means no more TV3 and gives RTE the kick up the arse that leads to them upping their game and actually giving us a decent highlights show for the league and champ with proper analysis them I'm all for it.
Back to top Go down
losthope
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2014 9:17 am

Spot on regarding TG4
Back to top Go down
RED COLLIER
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2014 9:40 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

GAA to announce SKY deal
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next