Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

GAA to announce SKY deal

Go down 
+28
Big Full Back
Botch
losthope
johnsmyth
Taibi
Flamingo
Cilldara_2000
Bān go Lēir
micky murphy
Cassanata
kildaregaa365
overthebar
Stonecold
Ogie
Sam1928
reichenhall
jimmers
murof
SeamusMurphy
kickingking
steviegenius
LillieLad
BelieveToAchieve
kelf
The observer
Rex
TommyKeegan
topcat
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2014 7:55 am

Have to disagree with the assessment of her sporting knowledge Murof. Not exactly insightful journalism or original thinking if you ask me. One trick pony.

Back to top Go down
reichenhall
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2014 10:17 am

hello everybody only came across this forum recently and have to say enjoying the general banter on all matters gaa, it's a strange one really some will think it's selling out to a foreign tv company others like kicingking think it will look at the funds being filtered down to the grass roots, that i would be in total agreement with
i agree and disagree with Seamus don't think it will lead to inter county players being paid but i do feel with the work and effort they put in they deserve some sort of reward
Crofter,"one trick pony" hmmmm the only thing i know about Rachel is what i read on the Indo and see on tv she seems to have a handle on most sports as far as i can see
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2014 10:00 pm

I cant believe SKY would opt for Rachel instead of headhunting Marty..   Surprised 
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 1:52 am

murof wrote:
A choice between The Sunday Game panel and Rachel? That could be interesting to say the least.
Rachel is good in the Indo on Saturdays on many sports. If she was on RTE I'd definitely watch.

Unlike other things, this is not up for debate. She is not insightful, she is atrocious with no knowledge or writing skills and the fact she just walked into a column is everything that's wrong with the industry. She's attractive, doesn't matter how crap she is, idiot men will buy it now.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 2:21 am

Very harsh there Tommy, shouldn't let personal jealousy cloud your judgement. The fact that she is attractive is irrelevant surely or at least it is to me. I liked some of her articles particularly on racing but I don't buy the paper so cant claim to read it every week or claim to be an idiot by your reasoning. If she were a man would people be so critical?
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 2:37 am

Oh trust me, there is absolutely no personal jealousy here. The fact she is attractive is the only reason she has the role and if she were a man with that level of talent, she wouldn't have the role. And this isn't behind a pseudonym stuff on my part, I said as much on Newstalk while describing her column as vacuous pap last summer. To get a column, you serve your time in the industry and work your way up to be allowed have a space for your opinion. She's an auto-cue reader who doesn't actually have opinions.

"Some have said it was written in the stars – that it was meant to be. A fairytale ending for a nation's poster boy. Such summations of an idyllic Parisian afternoon are unfair; they diminish the achievement. Yes, the stars in the sporting sky aligned, but they aligned because the men in green made it happen."

"Technically he is correct. This was nothing more than three points in City's quest for another championship. But derbies are no ordinary games. 'Three points' has never defined derby clashes. From Milan to Merseyside, derbies stir emotions like no other."

Sorry folks, way off topic, but Jesus Christ. Here are some words.

Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 6:39 am

TommyKeegan wrote:
murof wrote:
A choice between The Sunday Game panel and Rachel? That could be interesting to say the least.
Rachel is good in the Indo on Saturdays on many sports. If she was on RTE I'd definitely watch.

Unlike other things, this is not up for debate. She is not insightful, she is atrocious with no knowledge or writing skills and the fact she just walked into a column is everything that's wrong with the industry. She's attractive, doesn't matter how crap she is, idiot men will buy it now.

Yep that's pretty much what I was trying to say TK. Politically incorrect as it might be..
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 7:38 pm

Sky putting money into the GAA. Good news in my book...once the money filters down to clubs and the like. Open up the sport to a bigger audience. Competition for the domestic channels. A big of glam and cheese. Wheres the harm?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 9:13 pm

It seems to me the boys up in HQ are being quite hypocritical when it comes to 'foreign money'.

If a club tries to make a few quid by renting out its facilities to other sporting organistions they come down on this. - Nemo Rangers and the rugby & even the Sash and the soccer.

Also I know Adidas and Puma have offered county boards decent enough money in recent years to wear their gear but the GAA has reigned in on this also - claiming they want to keep it Irish....

Yet when Amerincan Football/IRFU/FAI want to rent out Croke Park they are more than welcome.
Sky come rolling in with the dollars and they sell their soul.

Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 9:39 pm

umpireonditch wrote:
It seems to me the boys up in HQ are being quite hypocritical when it comes to 'foreign money'.

If a club tries to make a few quid by renting out its facilities to other sporting organistions they come down on this. - Nemo Rangers and the rugby & even the Sash and the soccer.

Also I know Adidas and Puma have offered county boards decent enough money in recent years to wear their gear but the GAA has reigned in on this also - claiming they want to keep it Irish....

Yet when Amerincan Football/IRFU/FAI want to rent out Croke Park they are more than welcome.
Sky come rolling in with the dollars and they sell their soul.

It's called hypocrisy and it's rife, from top to bottom.

But like I said, I have no problems with Sky coming in or the dollar being taken. It's just a natural progression. And when the games are being shown locally on TG4, there are absolutely no cause for complaints. People might even pick up a bit of Irish, seeing as they're so proud of their cultural identity!
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2014 9:44 pm

As a soccer player currently still togging out in ditches and the backs of cars on occassion and without access to a shower 9 out of 10 times I say to the GAA take as much as you can whether its yankee dollar or the queens shilling and filter it back to clubs. The FAI could learn a lot from Croke Park.

Its a credit to the association from the top down to the local volunteer that the majority of GAA clubs have clubhouses, hot water, multiple pitches and flood lights in 2014.

Agree about the hypocrisy though. Cant have it both ways. Local clubs should have freedom to make use of their facilities and generate income.
Back to top Go down
reichenhall
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 5:18 am

ah Tommy if Ms Wyse has no knowledge or writing skills surely you're not suggesting her articles are ghost written  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 5:22 am

No I'm not suggesting that. I'm saying they are crap thus I don't think they are ghost written.
Back to top Go down
reichenhall
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 6:05 am

ah fair enough so,but I wonder about your point "to get a column you work your way up serve your time" I've just finished an article in todays Herald by Ciaran Whelan about the Sky deal,theres loads of former GAA players write columns for our nationals and locals as well I would think,John Giles,Richie Sadlier,(I wont include Eamo,cos I'm sure he has all the necessary paperwork  Very Happy) and I'm sure theres former jockeys rugby players and athletes who make a few bob for the regular or occasional article
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 6:13 am

I mean in terms of journalists, not former players, different thing altogether although most are hugely dull too and think they can get by on a name without ever saying anything.
Back to top Go down
reichenhall
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 6:50 am

i used the above mentioned former players as an example of people who have columns but as far as i know didn't serve their time and work their way up in the industry,theres a lot of them about,so i imagine then that you would put them on the same bus as Rachel Wyse
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 6:57 am

No, with players it's very different. I'm talking from a journalists perspective, those who've been involved with teams and in management bring something different so that's how it works. But for an auto-cue reader to walk into a column with a national paper that is mentioned on the front page every single week with a picture of her good self despite lacking in quality is unheard of and based in my belief on sexism.
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 7:26 pm

Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 10:52 pm

Excellent, cheers for that.
Back to top Go down
overthebar
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 11:53 pm

Top notch stonecold.......  Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing 
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 12:07 am

Superb, made my Day, especially the so so accurate Mullane interview haha..
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 3:37 am

Deal announced. 31 Championship games to be shown by RTE from 2014-2017. Sky Sports has obtained exclusive island of Ireland rights to 14 championship games. Sky's exclusive games are eight Saturday evening matches in qualifiers, two football championship quarter-finals, also two Saturday evening and two Sunday Provincial games. Sky will also broadcast hurling and football semi-finals and finals making it 20 games in total they'll show, 16 exclusive in Ireland and all 20 in Britain and Ireland. No sign of TG4 for championship games, they get minor finals and will stick to club and league games while Setanta will keep Saturday night league games.

I've given my opinion, and this doesn't change that.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 3:39 am

Midweek highlights show imagine! Interviews... top notch coverage in other words. And yes, 14 of the games will be exclusive to Sky in Ireland. I haven't one iota of a problem with it.

GAA AWARDS 20 LIVE GAMES TO SKY SPORTS

01 April: SKY SPORTS will show the All-Ireland Gaelic Football and Hurling Championships after securing a three-year deal to show live matches from June 2014.

For the first time, Sky viewers can enjoy the excitement, passion and drama of both Gaelic Football and Hurling on Sky Sports, with weekly live coverage plus the Semi-Finals and Finals from each sport. The agreement comprises:

· LIVE – 20 matches including the Semi-Finals and Finals. 14 matches will be exclusively live in Ireland, with the Semi-Finals and Final also on free-to-air TV. All 20 matches exclusively live in Great Britain
· SKY SPORTS NEWS – Midweek highlights as well as news, interviews and results on 24-hour news channel Sky Sports News
· ONLINE – Match reports, fixtures and interviews as well as news, blogs, videos and galleries on skysports.com
· ON THE GO – Live GAA matches available to watch on mobile for the first time at no extra cost to Sky Sports subscribers via Sky Go

All 20 games, beginning in Nowlan Park with Kilkenny v Offaly in the All Ireland Leinster Hurling Championship on 7th June, will be broadcast in standard definition and High Definition (see full list of games attached).

JD Buckley, Managing Director, Sky Ireland said

“It’s a privilege to be partnering with the GAA to bring our customers top quality content from our national games. We are committed to providing the best programming, service and value to our customers and Sky Sports will offer world class production values and a great viewing experience to GAA fans across the country. This marks another milestone in our continued investment in Ireland to better satisfy our customers”

Managing Director of Sky Sports Barney Francis said: “We’re delighted to be awarded the rights and I’m sure our viewers will be captivated by the thrill and passion of Gaelic Football and Hurling. We are excited to be working with the GAA and providing extensive coverage to their exhilarating sports throughout the summer. These matches will join a great line-up of year-round Irish sport on Sky Sports.”

Páraic Ó Dufaigh, Director General of the GAA said: “In the negotiation of these rights, the GAA was guided by a wish to drive the promotion of Gaelic games and we believe the new rights’ contracts will provide Gaelic games with their widest-ever global audience reach.

“We look forward to working with all of our broadcast partners in television and radio, and are enthused by the prospect of having our games presented to the highest standards of sports’ broadcasting. We welcome our new partnership with Sky Sports and firmly believe that their coverage of our games will bring a new excitement to our championships.”

GAA fans with a Sky Sports subscription can watch live on TV, online and on mobile and tablet devices via Sky Go or the award-winning Sky Sports for iPad app, which are both free for subscribers to download at no extra cost. Non-subscribers can also watch these games on mobile, by downloading the Sky Sports TV app where they can receive all 6 Sky Sports channels for €13.99 per month.

The matches will also be available on Sky Sports in thousands of commercial premises across the country. As part of the agreement, Sky is working on a special offer for all GAA clubs across the country which will make Sky Sports available in their clubhouses at a discounted rate.

Sky is investing over €1 billion in Ireland in 5 years. This includes an investment in people, as the business now employs almost 1,000 people in Ireland, and products and services including HD, 3D, On Demand, broadband and the brand new EPG. Sky’s increasing investment in homegrown content includes the Emmy award winning Moone Boy, Moonfleet (filmed in Dublin last Summer) and Penny Dreadful starring Josh Harnett and Timothy Dalton which has just finished filming in Dublin and Wicklow) .The business also makes a broader contribution with initiatives in Ireland including Sky Sports Living For Sport, which uses sports stars and sports skills to improve the lives of students in secondary schools and Sky Arts Ignition which supports specific Irish arts projects.

For further information please contact:

Mark Deering, Sky Ireland, 0868193000, mark.deering@bskyb.com

James Elms, Sky Ireland, 0864528406, james.elms@bskyb.com

SKY SPORTS LIVE BROADCASTS

Provincial Championship Games
June 7th - Kilkenny v Offaly LSHC
June 14th - Dublin v Wexford LSHC
June 21st - Sligo v Galway/London CSFC
June 28th - Armagh/Cavan v Down/Tyrone/Monaghan (USFC)

Qualifiers
July 5th - Game D qualifiers
July 12th - Game F Qualifiers
July 19th - Games I and J
July 26th - Games G and H
August 2nd - Games K and L

All Ireland Series
August 9th – 2 x Football Quarter Finals (Leinster and Ulster)

All Ireland Finals and Semi Finals
All Ireland Senior Football Championship Final
All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship Final
2 x All Ireland Senior Football Championship Semi-Finals
2 x All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship Semi-Finals

+ Midweek highlights programme
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 3:45 am

How do we know the midweek highlights will be any good? If it's Sky Sports News, it'll be half an hour. And come on, interviews on Sky Sports News are re-runs and scores will be running in a ticket on the bottom. Think people have a feeling Sky are going to cover this like the Premier League. They aren't!
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 3:54 am

Maybe they'll do it like the darts and have each player coming out to Drake's latest with a babe on each arm wearing a duffel coat!! I'm happy for them to have a go anyway. Jim White losing the head as they show some clip of an overhead pull in the hurling could be worth the price of it alone! Don't think Rachel is from a GAA background though...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

GAA to announce SKY deal
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next