Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

GAA to announce SKY deal

Go down 
+28
Big Full Back
Botch
losthope
johnsmyth
Taibi
Flamingo
Cilldara_2000
Bān go Lēir
micky murphy
Cassanata
kildaregaa365
overthebar
Stonecold
Ogie
Sam1928
reichenhall
jimmers
murof
SeamusMurphy
kickingking
steviegenius
LillieLad
BelieveToAchieve
kelf
The observer
Rex
TommyKeegan
topcat
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 3:59 am

Oh she sure isn't Ogie! And this rubbish about being from Kildare, a showjumping ex of Cian O'Connor who grew up in Blackrock. And that location is her own answer! I think she's made my little book!
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 4:13 am

Is it clear whether your existing Sky Sports subscription gets you access to these or do you have to fork out extra again?
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 4:14 am

Presume Crofter if you've Sky Sports package, they come on like anything else. Simple as. Won't be behind pay-per-view like big boxing matches for instance, but you do need to be subscribed.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 4:16 am

Should have read above - looks like it's included in existing price for current subscribers.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 4:18 am

The list of games seems to include All Ireland Finals and Semi Finals - surely not ??
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 4:20 am

All Ireland semis and finals are on bother RTE and Sky.
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 5:16 am

I just read the GAA constitution, first time in many years and I never relaised how many quangos are involved but it all boils down to one management committee. Interesting, George Orwell would be impressed.

That's me done with conspiracy theories.

Last edited by Stonecold on Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 5:17 am

Stonecold wrote:
I just read the GAA constitution, first time in many years and I never relaised how many quangos are involved but it all boils down to one management committee. Interesting, George Orwell would be impressed.

Better man than me!
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 10:05 am

TommyKeegan wrote:
All Ireland semis and finals are on bother RTE and Sky.

Ah ... Thanks.

Back to top Go down
Cassanata
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 7:15 pm

I think it is a dangerous path to start on and Sky are unlikely to stop there. Also at the risk of sounding like I have a complex about Dublin i'd like there to be a bit more transparency on how the money will likely to be used.

If it ends up that Dublin and projects in Dublin get a hugh chunk of the money as they are the biggest audience then I have a big problem with it as its only going to make the gap bigger.
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 8:00 pm

How much was the figure? Will be interesting to see how they do it and who gets involved for some reason i just didn't rate TV3's coverage
Back to top Go down
Bān go Lēir
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 8:27 pm

Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 8:43 pm

TommyKeegan wrote:
Oh she sure isn't Ogie! And this rubbish about being from Kildare, a showjumping ex of Cian O'Connor who grew up in Blackrock. And that location is her own answer! I think she's made my little book!

I think it's the connection with Ciano that probably got her into that book first though!! ;-)
Back to top Go down
Cilldara_2000
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 9:36 pm

I think this is fantastic. We've all been cribbing about the Irish broadcasters other than TG4 not being very good at it so Sky, who always bring a very professional and positive approach to anything they show, might shake it up a bit and raise the bar for everyone. The additional exposure in Britain can only be a good thing too and it might draw in a wider non-GAA audience.

Of course the Irish media are slating the GAA for it, bar some of the print journalists like Martin Breheny, but there's not much we can do about that. It's a shame the arguments made seem to ignore the fact that only 9 fewer games will now be shown free to air while the majority of provincial and qualifier games still won't be shown at all.
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 10:05 pm

Years and years ago there was one elderly gent that was the only lad for miles with Sky Sports. One of the best memories I have is going down to watch a club match in the pitch and then off down to his place with loads of the neighbours to watch Utd play.
If these old lads want to watch the game and are in the area can their neighbours not ask them over. If they are such GAA people surely they have a sense of community.

I don't see the fuss and the D4 dominated RTE Prime Time were just totally out of their comfort zone last night. The basic point was that people are dying to see games but no one mentioned bar Nickey that you can get up off your hole and go to them or God forbid wait for the Sunday game.

Who was the 'Dublin Fan' that was ranting. These lads are fans and the whole thing of where does the money go...He us obviously very clued in...

It was before my time but this shite was all rolled out when sponsors came on jerseys and then when the corporate level was put into Croke Park.
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 10:37 pm

To me it ultimately boils down to who actually owns the GAA. We may think we do but we don't, Croke Park is a separate entity, the real power rests with Duffy & the central committee's and its only once every 5 years that the common gobshites can, if they can get enough support, make a rule change. Its primarily a business and secondarily a culture promotion. So they can bend, twist, modify rules to suit the business.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 10:37 pm

O Neill looked even more uncomfortable and miserable on the 6pm News than usual..
Like I said previously, I dont have a problem with this deal... The GAA are getting the best deal they believe for the Association.. However I do believe that its opening the door for the GPA to now go and get the best deal they can for their Players, and rightly so..
Its ok for Folks to say, whoever thought we would see "Sponsorship on Jerseys", or Matches on "Pay per View", So why should Players getting paid be such a big issue?
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 10:45 pm

Well I think that if Sky are asking more for players in terms of access then they should pay them for that. Even a gesture.
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 10:49 pm

This whole "Grab All Association" tag pisses me off. Its usually spouted by the soccer fraternity but hearing supposed GAA people saying it on TV and on social media really takes the biscuit. These are probably the same types who get so "outraged" and "disgusted" and voice their anger all over facebook and twitter when some controversial topic of the day is raised in the news that shakes things up a bit.

Some of the clowns rolled out on Prime Time last night were an embarrassment. One goon was going on about Sky ruining soccer in england forcing players onto €250k a week and how Sky will do the same to GAA while also stating the GAA are pricing fans out of the going to games with their ticket prices!!!.

Good man Nicky Brennan for simply stating 80% of all income/revenue generated by the GAA goes back to clubs and county boards (how many county boards are in the shite and got bailouts?..sky money will be useful there).

Its a numbers game...the few who will miss out sitting on their arses watching a game live at home are far far away in the minority of those who will attend the games, watch abroad or those not too arsed about it and see it as a good deal while going about their business and maybe catching up the highlights that night.

The GAA has about 90k likes on facebook..About 40 or 50 people were posting on their page last night expressing disgust and calling for boycotts and other shite like that. Probably the same type of people who wouldnt dare leave their smartphone long enough to actually attend a game live.

Great point made earlier about how we are spolit with the level of TV coverage we have these days (free or not) compared to even 10 years ago when there were very few live games shown.....where were all the whingers and moaners back then?

Some people just tear off into disgust & outrage mode without spending a few minutes thinking about things. Time moves on, things change, money talks..Sky have any sport worth watching on their schedules..its great to see GAA in there as well.

I'll say it again the GAA and its members deserve massive credit for the stadiums and club facilities accross the country in this day and age paid for by grants from central coffers in many cases to supplement the local fundraising and government money. Those facilities are far in excess of what the professional organisations of soccer and rugby have managed on a much bigger scale but sure dont let those facts get in the way of a good 'aul rant.
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 10:55 pm

Sam1928 wrote:
This whole "Grab All Association" tag pisses me off. Its usually spouted by the soccer fraternity but hearing supposed GAA people saying it on TV and on social media really takes the biscuit. These are probably the same types who get so "outraged" and "disgusted" and voice their anger all over facebook and twitter when some controversial topic of the day is raised in the news that shakes things up a bit.

Some of the clowns rolled out on Prime Time last night were an embarrassment. One goon was going on about Sky ruining soccer in england forcing players onto €250k a week and how Sky will do the same to GAA while also stating the GAA are pricing fans out of the going to games with their ticket prices!!!.

Good man Nicky Brennan for simply stating 80% of all income/revenue generated by the GAA goes back to clubs and county boards (how many county boards are in the shite and got bailouts?..sky money will be useful there).

Its a numbers game...the few who will miss out sitting on their arses watching a game live at home are far far away in the minority of those who will attend the games, watch abroad or those not too arsed about it and see it as a good deal while going about their business and maybe catching up the highlights that night.

The GAA has about 90k likes on facebook..About 40 or 50 people were posting on their page last night expressing disgust and calling for boycotts and other shite like that. Probably the same type of people who wouldnt dare leave their smartphone long enough to actually attend a game live.

Great point made earlier about how we are spolit with the level of TV coverage we have these days (free or not) compared to even 10 years ago when there were very few live games shown.....where were all the whingers and moaners back then?

Some people just tear off into disgust & outrage mode without spending a few minutes thinking about things. Time moves on, things change, money talks..Sky have any sport worth watching on their schedules..its great to see GAA in there as well.

I'll say it again the GAA and its members deserve massive credit for the stadiums and club facilities accross the country in this day and age paid for by grants from central coffers in many cases to supplement the local fundraising and government money. Those facilities are far in excess of what the professional organisations of soccer and rugby have managed on a much bigger scale but sure dont let those facts get in the way of a good 'aul rant.

HOOGE PLUS 1

I love the way your man was labelled a 'Dublin Fan'. Was he even a club member or just a lad who waddles up to the Hill after a few pints on a Sunday in summer?! I live in Dublin beside a pub that would have a lot of Dub hurling people who by and large are hardcore. They were happy enough and it won't bother what is on the telly because they will be at the games.
Also the lady from Bray Emmets saying all the soccer was free to air before Sky?!..
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 11:06 pm

Yes as a business its ran very well but lets not dress this deal up as something its not, its a profit making venture and as a business they should be proud of that. Pay per view aka Sky Sports to me contradicts the ethos of the GAA. The regular witch hunt about paying managers, sponsorship deals and amateur status flies in the face of this.
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 11:36 pm

Excellent post Sam. 100% agree.

So many misinformed clowns on Prime Time last night.

Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 11:44 pm

The whole "Amateur status" thing just dosent cut it anymore, and Fellas are entitled to question the " ah sur we do it for the love of the Game " stuff, when their Training / Gym / Matches 6 or 7 Nights a Week.. Is it Patsy Bradly whoses gone to play Soccer (no doubts for a few quid)... How much was the SKY Deal worth anyone ?
Back to top Go down
johnsmyth
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2014 11:47 pm

SeamusMurphy wrote:
O Neill looked even more uncomfortable and miserable on the 6pm News than usual..
Like I said previously, I dont have a problem with this deal... The GAA are getting the best deal they believe for the Association.. However I do believe that its opening the door for the GPA to now go and get the best deal they can for their Players, and rightly so..
Its ok for Folks to say, whoever thought we would see "Sponsorship on Jerseys", or Matches on "Pay per View",  So why should Players getting paid be such a big issue?

I'd be of the same view, its time the GAA showed a desire to be honest and transparent. The reasons players are not on the payroll don't cut it anymore and its time to move forward. All other professional sports have amatuer grassroots so why can't it be the same for the GAA. Most players of county quality remain in the county set up for a period of time which impedes many of the other aspects of life they could persue if they were not part of the GAA business model.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2014 12:23 am

Johnsmyth,

Can you tell me how the GAA will finance proffessional teams?

Take 32 counties each with a football and hurling panel of lets say 24. Thats 1536 players. Say they are given a salary of even 20000euro each - a basic salary...Thats 30million euro.

Where are you going to fund that...even if you do get players to train/commit full time for that salary that would qualify you a mortgage for a shack in Leitrim??

Any professionalism of players however much it is merited is highly unsustainable.

If the GAA was to take out that out of its current spending to put into wages then the grassroots will really suffer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GAA to announce SKY deal   GAA to announce SKY deal - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

GAA to announce SKY deal
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next