Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kildare v Clare

Go down 
+29
Ohtoohtobe
kelf
steviegenius
Lily8
lilywhites on tour
lilysavage
Cilldara_2000
TommyKeegan
murof
Ogie
tpos
lillyboy
jimmers
flourman
moatesports
Dinny Breen
kildaregaa365
MD
SeamusMurphy
bigball
Fizzer
Highball
White Bridge
Jimmy winning matches
jj
Rex
Flamingo
topcat
kickingking
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare v Clare - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Clare   Kildare v Clare - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2017 7:51 pm

bigball wrote:
Can someone list the minor and u21 panels from the last 3 or 4 years? the big question for me is whether o neill can build a really strong panel over the next few years. having the strength in depth is what separates the div 1 teams from the rest imo
check out U21 thread
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Clare   Kildare v Clare - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2017 8:51 pm

Rex wrote:
Ogie wrote:
Just gonna go read the O'Byrne Cup thread for the laugh

Why, so you can feel all fuzzy and warm while riding into the sunset on that high white horse.

Such a strange thing to post. Lads commenting on a match they have just watched without some mystical foresight of the future.

You were never so sensitive playing five-a-side Rex!

Didn't mean to cause so much offence (applies to the rest of ye!) It was a throwaway remark, regulars will note I don't contribute much anymore, I was hardly informed enough to do so when I did and am less so now, attending very few games.

I will just say that even without mystical foresight, the reaction was still insane at the time. Regulars will also know that this is my general stance, for good or bad, until the summer, at either end of the spectrum.

I am delighted the way results have gone and how Kildare have dug out results in the last two games in particular. They are well on their way to being a top eight side very quickly. A lot to be done to get to the next level against better set up defences and forwards that would have gotten five or six goals last Sunday but they know that I'm sure and that's the whole point of progress.

Anyway, I'm very pleased for Kildare and the supporters and hope it continues. Apologies again that my poor attempt at a joke missed its mark completely. Consider myself jocked off the high horse.
Back to top Go down
FearBan
Intercounty
Intercounty
FearBan

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Clare   Kildare v Clare - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2017 9:55 pm

Don't be so apologetic Ogie! You are right, far too many were only too happy to start writing the year off. Obviously everyone is now delighted to be on the run we are currently on but back in January many were preaching from the roof tops about the negatives.

On a similar tangent, and in support of what others were saying here, it was amazing to witness the bandwagon supporters who attached themselves on last Sunday. The amount of times I heard comments like “same old Kildare” and “we’re wasting our time with this shower” and many more comments of similar ilk.

Now I’m all for bandwagon supporters and we all know they are vital but I’d love if some of them would realise how ridiculous they sound. Shouting to kick it in the last couple of plays of the game ad grumbling that Kildare had the “stupidity” to try and control the game and close it out.

On the game itself, I do think we were seriously dented by the loss of Dan Flynn and the other forwards. A feature of our game this year has been some really high quality, incisive foot passes into the full forward line and support play from the middle 8 but this was not as evident on Sunday. Clare were happy enough to funnel lots back and block out those spaces while we didn’t help ourselves as I don’t think the players were on the pitch to make those runs.

Final point, I really have to disagree with some on here who are writing off the league final as nothing more than a challenge game. While I would have no problem with giving some of the fringe players a run next Sunday I expect nothing more than full championship mode come April 9th.

Purely from a competition point of view, a league title would be great but there is no harm either in getting into the habit of winning finals again and winning in Dublin. Kildare Galway in Croker could have the makings of a classic while a Kildare Meath game would also be something special, despite the headaches it may cause later on in the summer. Either way, this is a final we really have to push to win.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Clare   Kildare v Clare - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 30, 2017 3:13 am

Will you ever get with the program FearBan.. League games (finals or otherwise), much like O'Byrne Cup are only important if we lose them. If we win "I'll only judge in the summer", "when we come up against a top 8/4/2/1 [delete as appropriate] team".

Personally would absolutely love it (to quote KK) if we were to beat Galway twice in the next few weeks. Revenge for '98, '00 and '13 to mention three disasters.

Less interested in meeting Meath in Croke Park as a curtain-raiser to Dublin taking their umpteenth Division One title in a row. Unless Kil/Mth is an absolute humdinger we'll get the usual sh!te about Leinster football.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Clare   Kildare v Clare - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 30, 2017 9:25 am

I'm with Ogie and FearBan on this, there was no sense of perspective from a lot of people here after the Dublin game.

That's no big deal in itself, but people should just say "I was wrong", as we all are sometimes, rather than getting put out when the over reaction is pointed out.

I've always been cautiously optimistic meself, was arguing late last year in a debate with Jim on here that we'd show some improvement in 2017.

Even so, I fear we're gone too much the other way now and people are reading too much into our wins. I mean, I'm very heartened by results but could still see Dublin putting five or six goals past us. It's a long road to the top and we need to anticipate that there will be serious off days, particularly with such a young side.
Back to top Go down
bigball
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Clare   Kildare v Clare - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 30, 2017 10:39 am

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017 Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:13 pm Select/Unselect multi-quote Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post
Lads its the O byrne cup. yeah it was disappoitning for sure but its gone now. if your own club team was beaten in the alridge/ keogh/ dowling cups would you be so upset? i dont think so. bring on meath in navan i cant wait

Like I said back in January, the O Byrne cup is as useful an indicator as the alridge cup.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Clare   Kildare v Clare - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 30, 2017 11:09 am

May as well brag that I said much the same bigball:

"Lads we won this tournament in 2013 and 2014 and didn't go on to achieve much in league or championship.
Also, as someone pointed out earlier, a fairly strong Dublin team lost to Longford this time last year.
Granted, I wasn't there, and I know having to stand through a bad performance is frustrating, but chill out ffs. It's the equivalent of a pre-season friendly in soccer.
Saying the manager is on borrowed time before a ball has been kicked in a competitive game is ridiculous."
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Clare   Kildare v Clare - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 30, 2017 8:51 pm

The reason many people were upset was that it was a rare chance to get a win over Dublin and we blew it. The fact that it was Dublin's 3rd team and it was the same group of players who get promoted with a game to spare makes it worse. No one cares about the O'Byrne Cup but when you get a chance to beat that shower in your own back yard you should take it. Thats the difference in the 2 counties, the ruthless belief in Dublin that you never give the opposition a sense that they can beat you.
The one worry from that game is that the 2nd half fade out is still happening and cost us a win in Derry and almost one against Clare. Can those who predicted the league performances reassure us that it will be rectified soon!

Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Clare   Kildare v Clare - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 31, 2017 12:42 am

Ogie wrote:
Rex wrote:
Ogie wrote:

Why, so you can feel all fuzzy and warm while riding into the sunset on that high white horse.

Such a strange thing to post. Lads commenting on a match they have just watched without some mystical foresight of the future.

Didn't mean to cause so much offence (applies to the rest of ye!) It was a throwaway remark, regulars will note I don't contribute much anymore, I was hardly informed enough to do so when I did and am less so now, attending very few games.

I will just say that even without mystical foresight, the reaction was still insane at the time. Regulars will also know that this is my general stance, for good or bad, until the summer, at either end of the spectrum.

I am delighted the way results have gone and how Kildare have dug out results in the last two games in particular. They are well on their way to being a top eight side very quickly. A lot to be done to get to the next level against better set up defences and forwards that would have gotten five or six goals last Sunday but they know that I'm sure and that's the whole point of progress.

Anyway, I'm very pleased for Kildare and the supporters and hope it continues. Apologies again that my poor attempt at a joke missed its mark completely. Consider myself jocked off the high horse.

Nothing to do with sensitivity, more to do with seemingly delighting in hindsight nearly 3 months after the fact. The Dublin defeat was a bad one because it was a chance to no matter how small in the grand scheme to heal some mental wounds. Instead we gave up a six point lead and lost to a 3rd string side at home. Anyone who was actually there would tell you that. Dubs taking the piss all over the place and basically laughing at us as we made our way out.
That's why that game got a lot of heat.

Maybe I'm supporting the wrong way, but when I make the effort to go out and watch any Kildare team play, hand over money and stand in rain, hail or shine I am wanting them to win. If they don't I'm not happy. There is no in between for me.

The forum is the only place dedicated to Kildare football, is it any wonder you get the highs and lows played out in posts, being from Kildare it's mostly lows.

Anyway it's no different to any other sports team. Fans will be up and down like yoyo's and often go overboard either way. That's what being a fan is about. It's not our job to be rational or sensible.
Back to top Go down
OutTheGap
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Clare   Kildare v Clare - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 31, 2017 6:08 am

The reason the Dublin defeat hurt those who were at the match was because our first choice team were taught a lesson by Dublin's third team and it looked like we were going nowhere. It had nothing to do with losing an O"Byrne Cup match. Obviously things have improved since then and it's great to see us finally make a bit of progress but you can only call it as you see it and things didn't look good that day.

Good teams don't let their performance levels dip as we did that day no matter what the competition is. I hope we don't do what Wexford did last week in Galway i.e. put out a weak team and lose badly. We seem to have turned a corner, let's put out a strong team, give it everything and try to keep the momentum going.
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Clare   Kildare v Clare - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 31, 2017 6:17 am

JohnnyC wrote:
The reason the Dublin defeat hurt those who were at the match was because our first choice team were taught a lesson by Dublin's third team and it looked like we were going nowhere. It had nothing to do with losing an O"Byrne Cup match. Obviously things have improved since then and it's great to see us finally make a bit of progress but you can only call it as you see it and things didn't look good that day.

Good teams don't let their performance levels dip as we did that day no matter what the competition is. I hope we don't do what Wexford did last week in Galway i.e. put out a weak team and lose badly. We seem to have turned a corner, let's put out a strong team, give it everything and try to keep the momentum going.
o neill giving some bench players a start
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Clare   Kildare v Clare - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 03, 2017 3:54 am

Rex wrote:
Ogie wrote:
Rex wrote:
Ogie wrote:

Nothing to do with sensitivity, more to do with seemingly delighting in hindsight nearly 3 months after the fact. The Dublin defeat was a bad one because it was a chance to no matter how small in the grand scheme to heal some mental wounds. Instead we gave up a six point lead and lost to a 3rd string side at home. Anyone who was actually there would tell you that. Dubs taking the piss all over the place and basically laughing at us as we made our way out.
That's why that game got a lot of heat.

Maybe I'm supporting the wrong way, but when I make the effort to go out and watch any Kildare team play, hand over money and stand in rain, hail or shine I am wanting them to win. If they don't I'm not happy. There is no in between for me.

The forum is the only place dedicated to Kildare football, is it any wonder you get the highs and lows played out in posts, being from Kildare it's mostly lows.

Anyway it's no different to any other sports team. Fans will be up and down like yoyo's and often go overboard either way. That's what being a fan is about. It's not our job to be rational or sensible.

Fair enough.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Clare   Kildare v Clare - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kildare v Clare
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6