Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

General GAA - AOB

Go down 
+54
Wonderful barn
CillDara71
Onhisboot
FlourBag_1
Thelillywhites
NorthernLily89
Southern Gael
Carbury legend
Gaa1928
Cilldara_2000
OutTheGap
topcat
Taibi
moatesports
White Bridge
seamymurphy
Kildare98
murof
Caprea
lilysavage
KILL BILL
Rex
jobluts
bite the pillow
lomond
TommyKeegan
Highball
learmus
Flamingo
Cassanata
micky murphy
Curraghplains
steviegenius
jj
LillieLad
Botch
kelf
Dido
ixus
DONTPULLOUT
Big Full Back
Ohtoohtobe
lily4fr
white boy
Liffey Likes
SamMaguire
Badger85
jimmers
walsheman
lillyboy
All down the line
Ogie
Hurlerbehindtheditch
totalgaa
58 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
AuthorMessage
Onhisboot
Intercounty
Intercounty
Onhisboot

General GAA - AOB - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 13 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2022 9:56 am

Jimmy was 4th highest scorer from play in championship this year, ahead of players like Clifford and Walsh, and Ben McCormack 8th

Southern Gael likes this post

Back to top Go down
Thelillywhites
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 13 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2022 11:03 am

I dont think we collapsed in the leinster final management set us up wrong, against Mayo the fitness told in the end and experience of goalie. Kildare people are football mad and passionate. The county just needs something to ignite it all.

Southern Gael likes this post

Back to top Go down
ixus
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 13 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2022 11:31 am

Neil and Dan Flynn have the potential to light it up like Clifford and Walsh did. Left foot, right foot. They've got to get themselves to the next level though.
We're not as far off fitness wise, most of that was gained inter-season.

It's the systems deployed...both rarely conceded a goal (Armagh v Galway aside).

I'd take encouragement over negativity on that game.
Back to top Go down
Badger85
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 13 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2022 4:26 pm

I like Neil and Dan Flynn, but they don’t deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Clifford and Walsh.

That’s over inflating the levels of our players. Neither player would start on the Kerry team. In fact, one isn’t guaranteed to start for us.
Back to top Go down
CillDara71
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 13 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2022 6:52 pm

No point comparing to Clifford who is a generational player.
Walsh on the other hand...I was actually encouraged watching him - he is 29 & I think this is the first year he has hit those levels. Would his career before this year not have been similar to Dan's ? Magnificent on his day but not near enough of those days. Maybe it's never too late to reach your full potential ?

ixus likes this post

Back to top Go down
Carbury legend
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 13 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2022 7:37 pm

Dan flynn is same age as Shane walsh
Back to top Go down
CillDara71
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 13 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2022 7:41 pm

He's not though, he's a year younger....

...and either way, that wasn't really my point.
Back to top Go down
Carbury legend
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 13 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2022 7:47 pm

CillDara71 wrote:
He's not though, he's a year younger....

...and either way, that wasn't really my point.

sorry

cian o neill is main factor galway made it all ireland final this year
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 13 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2022 7:52 pm

To me, Ben has a lot of similar traits to Shane Walsh (free taking apart) and is capable of doing a lot of the same things with his pace/power again it will come down to coaching in the next year or two as to whether he achieves his potential.
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 13 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2022 10:09 pm

Walsh is way ahesd of dan flynn. Way ahead.
And clifford is ahead again.
Laughable to even compare them

Gaa1928 likes this post

Back to top Go down
ixus
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2022 12:54 am

Not really a comparison if you read the comment properly....the comment is they're capable of lighting it up on a given day....but sure go off on a tangent if ye will.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2022 1:34 am

Excited by next year oddly, despite the relative disappointment of this one. Few reasons.

1. Year two rather than one tells you a lot about a manager and a team under that manager. How does Glenn adapt and learn from mistakes, how do players adapt to what he wants done. Not saying we could get close to what Galway did but Joyce is in year three.

2. Division Two will be blood and thunder next year. Two of four provincial champions, Meath with O'Rourke, two other All Ireland quarter-finalist and then Louth and Limerick I hope as a safety net. Plenty of hard football there to develop which isn't always the case out of the top flight.

3. The structure next year. Usually we get humiliated by Dublin and stumble into the qualifiers shorn of confidence and that's it. Groups of four next year offer a chance to recover or even park Leinster altogether and focus on new teams and challenges without the usual baggage.

Could all go wrong, but I think loads to look forward to.

Ogie, lily4fr and Thelillywhites like this post

Back to top Go down
Thelillywhites
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2022 1:52 am

On another note with all the multi corporations been built in old connell surely they could be approached for sponsorship/funds. Its like silicone valley that side of the liffey now.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2022 2:36 am

The location of the Derry game could be crucial for promotion. If its a home game then we have a decent shot at going up, away game not sure.
Back to top Go down
lomond
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2022 2:44 am

murof wrote:
The location of the Derry game could be crucial for promotion. If its a home game then we  have a decent shot at going up, away game not sure.

Can we get that one in croker!!
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2022 3:42 am

lomond wrote:
murof wrote:
The location of the Derry game could be crucial for promotion. If its a home game then we  have a decent shot at going up, away game not sure.

Can we get that one in croker!!
Only if it's the first part of a double header with a Dublin game on a Saturday evening.. That's generally how it works.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2022 4:59 am

It's been a good few weeks now since Mayo and I still can't shake  the feeling of a very wasted year. First year a new manager is usually getting a distinct way of playing and developing it. Year two is perfecting it.
What we did was naive in the extreme. Abandoned all our supposed plans in the final game and then with basically no training look half decent albeit not fit enough.

As for the game on Sunday I thought it was average enough if you remove Clifford and the best player on the pitch who was  Walsh no matter what McStay says. Plenty of mistakes, bad decision making and poor shooting. Dublin of 3 years ago would have eaten both teams. In fact last year's Tyrone would have beaten both I think.

Glenn is going to be under pressure because as I said he's basically starting afresh. Last year means nothing as we can't survive playing as open as we did.
Div 2 will be a bear pit. We badly need 4 at home. It's a long way off and I'd be less enthused than others but if we start off with a more modern set up, find a bit of pace and up the fitness we won't be far off. Not asking for much then

ixus likes this post

Back to top Go down
moatesports
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2022 9:49 am

We 3 home last year so it's 4 home this year me thinks
Back to top Go down
http://moatesports.ie
Badger85
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 13 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2022 8:10 pm

I see there’s a recent trend of people returning to counties they’ve previously worked with. Horan, Banty, Rochford now being linked with Mayo. Jack and Kerry of course.

Any chance Glenn might give O’Neill a shout to be a coach with us?
Back to top Go down
Wonderful barn
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 13 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2022 8:49 pm

See Declan Darcy could off to Leinster rugby as coach
Back to top Go down
Liffey Likes
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2022 8:40 am

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/kerrys-defiant-defence-lays-the-foundation-as-jack-oconnor-develops-teak-tough-attitude-41864080.html

This article is interesting. Of course we were all very critical of the open porous style we had this year, but don't forget even Jack O'Connor got burned after shipping 5 goals against Meath in 2020, he then went too defensive in the 2021 Leinster final. Eventually he lined up Paddy Tally to come to us before heading to Kerry.

We can all put the 2022 flaws behind us if the management learn and adjust for 2023. We need a top defensive coach and tactical guru as a matter of priority. No expense should be spared. Look at the team O'Rourke is putting together in Meath.
Kerry leaked goals for sport last year, however they only leaked one goal this year. Galway's defense were like a sieve last year, they changed tactics and tightened up this year and we all Ireland finalists. Sort this and improve fitness levels and let's go places.
Back to top Go down
Wonderful barn
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2022 9:03 am

Name people who are available to sort things out

Management seems to want to do it there ( with not working)

They had outside coach in Paul Galvin wasn’t seen after game in Carrick on Shannon
Back to top Go down
Liffey Likes
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2022 9:59 am

Coftmaster wrote:
Name people who are available to sort things out

Management seems to want to do it there ( with not working)

They had outside coach in Paul Galvin  wasn’t seen  after game in Carrick on Shannon

There was a few names thrown around even on this forum. I agree that our management want to sort it out, I am not overly critical of management or previous two managers, in fact I was one of few who took up for Cian O Neill and I would be the same for Glen Ryan. My point is that we need to move mountains to get our man and budgets shouldn't be a limiting factor. I guess that our management team work for the love of Kildare and their expenses would be tiny and that surplus money should be made available to spend how they choose. The examiner reports that Eamon Fitzmaurice and Donnie Buckley are off to Meath, for heaven's sake they don't love Meath that much so obviously the money is good, so we have to pay to get our man or woman.
Back to top Go down
Wonderful barn
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2022 10:09 am

Donnie has linked to kevin mcStay backroom team for Mayo

Meath can afford it they have backing of Bective stud money no option there

O Neill be mad to leave Galway ,Galway in Division 1 and Kildare in Division 2 in 2023
Back to top Go down
Badger85
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2022 8:26 pm

There’s any amount of modern coaches out there that could be added to our team.

We even have one or two in Kildare!

Our best years under Geezer coincided with the likes of Aidan O’Rourke and Paul Grimley. Doyle and Earley are great men, but neither have any experience in management at at sort of level. JD’s NUI maynooth teams tanked.

If Meath get those two lads on board, then we’re already chasing to catch up.

Our management team showed late in the year that the capacity is there to change. Do they have the capacity to accept the changes needed for next year?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 13 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

General GAA - AOB
Page 13 of 15Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next