Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Player Watch 2024

Go down 
+29
ndog
micky murphy
murof
Kildare-Tom
Cassanata
PaddyMartinKildare
Southern Gael
Clubman
really_unofficial_kildare
BearintheSquare
Tawnbag123
rgb
Gaa1928
FlourBag_1
SplitThePosts
NorthernLily89
Columbo
Shnakesrule
Lillywhite20
Kildare999
TheManInTheStands
topcat
RiseAgainKildare
StayDownOnIt
TheBigDog#
Botch
MickosMen
newornowhere
Flamingo
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Intercounty
Intercounty

Player Watch 2024 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Player Watch 2024   Player Watch 2024 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2024 9:07 am

newornowhere wrote:
really_unofficial_kildare wrote:
In the game yesterday I thought for Eadestown Pauric Touhy and Rian Monaghan were very good. Tuohy is very direct and a strong runner. Monaghan was named on the bench but started and I thought he was probably the best player on the pitch at times. Very athletic and strong, very direct and assured in what he is doing. The Boran's are just excellent but you'll probably never get them away from hurling.
Harry O'Neill was as usual very very good. Cian Burke in goals too was very assured and his kickouts were excellent. We are blessed with goalkeepers at the moment but he has to be given a shot at some stage. Brian McLoughlin at midfield suits him as a playmaker and Shane O'Sullivan reaped the rewards of his quality of ball into him.

Touhy was badly treated under ryan. he was one of our best players when we beat dublin in newbridge then for some reason he got limited time in the remaining league fixtures. Hopefully he give it another go
Not sure Tuohy played that game. Could be wrong. I think he played the Kerry game.

Southern Gael likes this post

Back to top Go down
BearintheSquare
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch 2024   Player Watch 2024 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2024 12:21 pm

Flamingo wrote:
In terms of smallest picks JTB and Cloghs split a rural parish.

It's a big parish in fairness though. It more or less encompasses from Enfield to mother Hubbards and then back to edenderry.

I would say allenwood might have a smaller pick. They only really cover from the old esb factory to coill dubh and then i guess over towards rathangan on the lullymore side. Coill dubh would be mostly a st kevins area I think. Not sure where the border between them & ballyteague are.

Flamingo likes this post

Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch 2024   Player Watch 2024 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2024 7:24 pm

True actually when you look at all the Na Fianna clubs pulling from the parish.
But 2 solid senior clubs from the 1 parish is good going.
In fairness a lot of the more rural parishes punch above their weight and have done for years.
I know this is a Player Watch thread so not sure who is putting the hand up from these outfits...
Back to top Go down
Kildare999
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch 2024   Player Watch 2024 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2024 8:02 am

Any update on lads coming back into the panel for 2024? Be great to see Brian McLoughlin, Jack Robinson and Neil Flynn back involved. Are David Hyland and Paul Cribbin over the hill or do they still have 2-3 years left if they want to come back?
Back to top Go down
Southern Gael
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch 2024   Player Watch 2024 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2024 3:59 pm

Kildare999 wrote:
Any update on lads coming back into the panel for 2024? Be great to see Brian McLoughlin, Jack Robinson and Neil Flynn back involved. Are David Hyland and Paul Cribbin over the hill or do they still have 2-3 years left if they want to come back?
I hear on the grapevine that Brian Flanagan has already been in touch with David Hyland to sound him out about coming back into the panel

OutTheGap likes this post

Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch 2024   Player Watch 2024 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2024 10:51 pm

Paul Cribbin has been plagued with injuries but Hyland should be one to get back.
That being said Cribbin still looks a county man at times.

Neil Flynn is another Jimmy in terms of injuries but is class if it can be managed.

We all want new faces but those lads need to be demanding inclusion with their club performances.
Back to top Go down
MickosMen
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch 2024   Player Watch 2024 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2024 11:18 pm

It's unfortunate that Fergal Conway wasn't managed better in terms of injuries and s&c also. Probably too late for him now for inter county but still one of the best footballers in the county on his day.
Back to top Go down
Clubman
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch 2024   Player Watch 2024 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2024 12:15 am

Flamingo wrote:
Paul Cribbin has been plagued with injuries but Hyland should be one to get back.

Neil Flynn is another Jimmy in terms of injuries but is class if it can be managed.

We all want new faces but those lads need to be demanding inclusion with their club performances.

I don't think lads get it. These lads were good servants but are apart of a group and culture that were average at best.

Out with the old , in with the new . Bring back paul cribbin who was injured half the time and david hyland who was decent but past his prime. I really hope Brian's plan is more advanced than bringing lads back who were found out everytime hard questions were asked.
Back to top Go down
FlourBag_1
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch 2024   Player Watch 2024 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2024 12:25 am

Clubman wrote:
Flamingo wrote:

I don't think lads get it. These lads were good servants but are apart of a group and culture that were average at best.

Out with the old , in with the new . Bring back paul cribbin who was injured half the time and david hyland who was decent but past his prime. I really hope Brian's plan is more advanced than  bringing lads back who were found out everytime hard questions were asked.  

I think this is a very fair point. Division 3 is a good opportunity to start with a clean slate and introduce young players. We have some very talented youngsters who have been in back to back U20 All-Ireland Finals, winning one. Last year Shane Farrell & Ryan Burke were two of our most consistent performers. No doubt Flanno will be looking to integrate some of those U20’s into the set up.

Clubman likes this post

Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch 2024   Player Watch 2024 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2024 12:32 am

That is fair and I do agree overall but I would still think some lads have a place if they are doing well at the clubs. It can't be all young lads at once...

In reality Conway, Cribbin and Flynn should be left alone. I do think that there should not be losing everyone.

Across the board lads need to be showing up for the clubs. Like if some of the U20s are getting cleaned out by other lads then we can't just annoint them.
Back to top Go down
FlourBag_1
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch 2024   Player Watch 2024 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2024 1:07 am

True. I think it’s vital that the lads who are in their mid 20’s step up and take ownership. The likes of Kevin Flynn, Jimmy (unlucky with injuries tbf), Shea Ryan, Ben McCormack, Kirwan & Beirne have all been on the panel for a good few years. It is time now for them to really lead by example if we are introducing young players. With the exception of Feely, I don’t see too many lads in their 30’s making much of an impact with us.
Back to top Go down
PaddyMartinKildare
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch 2024   Player Watch 2024 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2024 3:16 am

Unfortunatley, many of those lads are just not up to it. We see that in the club championship. Not many of them are lighting it up. Alex has a great club season then looks off the pace come intercounty. We are sorely lacking in quality at the moment and it will take a few years for us to hopefully develop some of the younger lads. It looked like our lads were badly conditioned last year compared to the top teams which is a worry that will ripple for a couple of years until the new fella can get them up to scratch. When the intercounty season starts, we need to have six forwards playing in the six forward positions. Shoe-horning in midfielders and wing backs into the forward line slows down out game and it just looks messy and confusing at times. I would fully expect to see Aaron Browne and Colm Dalton integrated into the team quickly. Both have come on loads not only in their play but in their conditioning too. Aaron especially. All you need to do is look at the lads that play for  top counties and what they are. Pace, power and intelligence. I trust Flanagan to pick the right players.
Back to top Go down
PaddyMartinKildare
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch 2024   Player Watch 2024 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2024 3:19 am

A forward line of 
C. Dalton B.McCormack D. Kirwan
J. Hyland A. Browne J. Robinson

would be a good start IF all are flying fit.
Back to top Go down
Cassanata
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch 2024   Player Watch 2024 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2024 3:31 am

I'd be hoping that Flannagan isn't going to be begging people to join the panel. It is a big commitment and if people don't want to do it fair enough but if your called in you are here for the season for good or bad.
Back to top Go down
PaddyMartinKildare
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch 2024   Player Watch 2024 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2024 3:34 am

It always seems like we have one or two of our better players heading off for the summer. Doesn't seem to be as big an issue in other counties. Robinson and Neil Flynn were massive massive losses this year.
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch 2024   Player Watch 2024 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2024 3:54 am

Is Jack Robinson one of our better players? Neil Flynn is, you can see his scoring record. Played loads of games. But while Jack is a talent he is hardly a loss.
I think we focus a LOT on lads who are not or have not been around. Luke Flynn took up plenty of space here too.

The main change I hope to see (and I think we all have touched on it) is getting lads who are 100% on board and get stuck in.

BTW Jack is just an example as he is class at club level.

Last edited by Flamingo on Sat Sep 28, 2024 3:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
PaddyMartinKildare
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch 2024   Player Watch 2024 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2024 3:56 am

Flamingo wrote:
Is Jack Robinson one of our better players? Neil Flynn is, you can see his scoring record. Played loads of games. But while Jack is a talent he is hardly a loss.
I think we focus a LOT on lads who are not or have not been around. Luke Flynn took up plenty of space here too.

The main change I hope to see (and I think we all have touched on it) is getting lads who are 100% on board and get stuck in.

BTW I am just Jack as an example as he is class at club level.
Yes, Jack was most certainly a loss. One of the most talented forwards in the county missing in a year where we were VERY thin on the ground with forwards. I would have thought Jack's class wasn't even up for question. Shows how much I know.

SplitThePosts likes this post

Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch 2024   Player Watch 2024 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2024 4:02 am

But like I am not saying he is not class. He has been in and out of panels for years and wasn't always a starter. I am just pointing that we always look at the lads who are gone away.

Can we say he even wants to be in next year? What is the story with Ben? There's lots of if and buts and we kinda need lads all in or not.

The main thing is that IF any player is on for they go to Flanno and lay it out there. Then it's up to him.
Back to top Go down
Kildare-Tom
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch 2024   Player Watch 2024 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2024 7:34 am

I think Jack is just raw talent, Watched him few times last year with Kildare & Clogs. He is a joy to watch.
I really hope he comes back into Kildare set up for 2025.
Also with him gone for Clogs this year I was convinced they would struggle to stay senior but fair play to them proving me wrong
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch 2024   Player Watch 2024 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2024 7:38 am

I kinda feel bad bringing him up but it's just an example of a good player who we will talk a lot more about IF they don't come in.
I do hope we get every player that talented in and fully focused.
Back to top Go down
BearintheSquare
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch 2024   Player Watch 2024 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2024 7:47 am

Who is our best option for the 1 jersey?. I think there are better keepers than the don in the county nowadays
Back to top Go down
Clubman
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch 2024   Player Watch 2024 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2024 8:37 am

BearintheSquare wrote:
Who is our best option for the 1 jersey?. I think there are better keepers than the don in the county nowadays

Very few better. Burke in clane is decent.
Back to top Go down
BearintheSquare
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch 2024   Player Watch 2024 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2024 8:46 am

Clubman wrote:
BearintheSquare wrote:

Always felt he has been very slow on kickouts the past few years.
Back to top Go down
PaddyMartinKildare
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch 2024   Player Watch 2024 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2024 12:27 pm

Clubman wrote:
BearintheSquare wrote:

David McPartlin
Shane McNamara
Cian Burke
Luke Mullins
Cormac Barker
Aaron O'Neill
James Roycroft
Matthew Farrelly
Back to top Go down
SplitThePosts
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch 2024   Player Watch 2024 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2024 1:33 pm

PaddyMartinKildare wrote:
Clubman wrote:
BearintheSquare wrote:

David McPartlin
Shane McNamara
Cian Burke
Luke Mullins
Cormac Barker
Aaron O'Neill
James Roycroft
Matthew Farrelly
I don’t want to name names of club lads just doing their thing but there are a couple on this list at least who are no where near Don

TheManInTheStands and Clubman like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch 2024   Player Watch 2024 - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Player Watch 2024
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next