Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Good Geezer article in Sindo

Go down 
+19
SeamusMurphy
lillyboy
johnsmyth
overthebar
Loads of Pints
KILL BILL
Ohtoohtobe
Stonecold
Botch
tomcruise
murof
Sideline
kickingking
kildarecat
TommyKeegan
BelieveToAchieve
SamMaguire
wingback
Ogie
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

Good Geezer article in Sindo Empty
PostSubject: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 10:27 pm

Back to top Go down
wingback
Senior
Senior

Location : Two Mile House and Poulaphouca, Blacktrench, Cutbush and Boolea

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2012 10:41 pm

was an interesting point that it took micko 6 years to get a leinster, hgere's hoping 2013 will be the same!
Back to top Go down
SamMaguire
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 1:26 am

Could they not have held the interview in a hotel rather than after his Brazilian jujitsu? Of course that mightn't do anything to promote the myth of the Geezer. I guess he'd rather talk about Spartan warriors than his managerial record.
Back to top Go down
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 1:40 am

Excellent article, some very good points made. The haters won't like it, but who cares. Let them go support Longford or Carlow for the next year or so. The majority of them don't rem the Micko era's, let alone how much it took to get those 2 Leinsters...
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 5:24 am

Haters is a strong word. Very interesting piece - wouldn't agree with all of it, but still interesting. But there is nothing but extremes in terms of how you are perceived if you criticise Geezer. You are either a hater or blinded by him by the sounds of some on here. Is it possible to think he's done a good job mostly but messed up one or two things?
Back to top Go down
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 6:12 am

Yep - I can agree with that Tommy. He has done a superb job with our footballers, has transformed us from bring a laughing stock to a top 6 team. And has made some terrible blunders along the way.

The same can be said about O'Dwyer, especially 1998!

I don't think this team is good enough to win an All-Ireland & think Paudie O'Sé's comments could relate to some Kildare supporters at times.
Back to top Go down
kildarecat
All-Star
All-Star
kildarecat

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 6:13 am

No it didn't take Micko 6 years, he was in charge for 2 periods, his first period we were beaten in a league and 2 Leinster finals, Dermot Earley took over inbetween, unlucky himself mind you against Meath, then Micko took over in 1998, ok everybody knows what happened at the end, but only for a dodgy sending off for John Finn in the 2000 Semi Final we amost certainly would have contested 2 All Ireland finals in 3 years?.

Mcko's last year in charge we threw away a Leinster final by giving Dublin 2 goals in quick succession, still only lost by 2 points.

Geezer wouldn't hold a candle to Micko and his team, and they didn't need the back door safety net and jiu jitzu to perform and play to their abilities as a team, thats exactly what Micko's team was, a team!

Geezers done ok but hasn't come anywhere close to Mick O'Dwyer.
Back to top Go down
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 6:38 am

Whatever way you look at it it took Micko 6 years and a lot of money to win 2 Leinster titles. And that with the best bunch of players this county has ever produced. Geezer & co didn't have the likes of Ken Doyle, Christy Byrne, SOS Dowlinf, Davy, Glen Ryan, Rainbow, Nuxer etc

Many will say that team should have won a lot more with the players he had at his disposal. And I would agree!

Nice to see you back Kildarecat. Is the prodical son about to return to the Pollardstown hot seat?
Back to top Go down
kildarecat
All-Star
All-Star
kildarecat

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 7:02 am

I'm not getting involved with Moorefield politics, too much bad water under the bridge, lets move on BTA, there is great truth in "two wrongs never make a right", nobody from Moorefield whatever side of the fence you sat on came out smelling of roses, I got dragged into taking sides when my heart was never really in it, the thing is everyone of them loved Moorefied club, and to see what were once best friends not talking to each other was a sad state of affairs, hopefully the future is rosy and people can put their differences behind them and remember we are all Moorefields fans to the back bone anyway, unfortunately it looks like the Moorefied seniors are a fading light, all good things have to come to an end sometime?, or maybe we need a new manager?.

Anyway going back to Micko, he I think contested something like 6 Leinster finals with only one back door, Geezer 1, 2009, that Geezer team was the best he's ever put together.
Back to top Go down
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 8:00 am

Jesus - I didn't ask for a history lesson Kildarecat. I only queried if Sos wud replace Sheedy, not because I care about Moorefield, but because I think Sos cud be an ideal candidate for the other selectors spot.

As for Micko - he had THE best group of players this county has ever produced and won 2 Leinsters. Geezer inherited a bunch of misfits from Crofton & built it into a team. Granted he hasn't won anything of substance and has made a lot of mistakes. Lets see what the next 12 months brings...
Back to top Go down
kildarecat
All-Star
All-Star
kildarecat

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 8:17 am

What determines misfit?, Micko got us to 2 leinster finals and a league final in 4 years, before that we couldn't hold a candle to Kilkenny footballers ffs, Micko layed down a marker in his first year in charge and virtually took over the the team he had left behind in 1998, talk about maturing nicely for another round of Micko.

As for the moorefield part ignore that, just something that pulls at my heart
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 8:24 am

BelieveToAchieve wrote:
As for Micko - he had THE best group of players this county has ever produced and won 2 Leinsters. Geezer inherited a bunch of misfits from Crofton & built it into a team.

I don't think that is entirely accurate. Most of the players that McGeeney inherited had won a Leinster u21 title in 2004 and were within a kick of a ball of retaining that title in 2005. The u21s also contested an All Ireland Final in his first year in charge.

McGeeney has done some fantastic work and nobody could question the commitment or the attention to detail in the preparation. He has got a number of things wrong this year both on and off the field but it is refreshing to hear him owning up to his mistakes and the fact that he is willing to learn from them. How much he has learned will be put to the test in the year ahead.
Back to top Go down
Sideline
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 8:24 am

Killdare Cat who do you think will take over at Moorefield. At the moment i dont think it is a very appealing job and this is why i can only see a club man taking it over. Looking at it the majority of the panal is still mid 20s but its the one or two players they lose each year that are not been replaced. The problem is they have nobody at all to replace them and nothing coming up onto the panal and into the team,
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 8:43 am

McGeeney said he made 2 bad mistakes against Meath which probably cost us the game. Would have been interesting if he had said what those 2 mistakes were. Would one of them have been overtraining the players in the days before the game? Or the Seanie fiasco the day before or taking off O'Connor despite being wiped out in midfield? Whatever you think of the manager his record in the Leinster championship is very poor. One final appearance is not good enough for the players he has imo.
Back to top Go down
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 8:44 am

Crofton had all the same players available to him & couldn't make a team from them. Geezer has also unearthed at least one new player every year since. Including all star Peter Kelly.

But all that has been debated before. I just hope Geezer can tweak things this year and get things back on track.

And the Meath game, there were a lot of things wrong that day. And without whinging or moaning, I still reckon we were on the way back until Flynn got sent off.

As for another round of Micko. God I hope not.

Last edited by BelieveToAchieve on Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kildarecat
All-Star
All-Star
kildarecat

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 8:46 am

Sideline wrote:
Killdare Cat who do you think will take over at Moorefield. At the moment i dont think it is a very appealing job and this is why i can only see a club man taking it over. Looking at it the majority of the panal is still mid 20s but its the one or two players they lose each year that are not been replaced. The problem is they have nobody at all to replace them and nothing coming up onto the panal and into the team,

That Moorefield team was the guts of the great underage system we had in place back in the 90's, recently we can't buy an underage win, I think it was 2003 since we won minor beating Sarsfields, but thats years ago we can't buy an underage team these days, Athy were always strong in that department but north Kildare has become a powerful force, maybe its just geography?.

Back to top Go down
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 8:51 am

Hard to replace a man like Gerry Moran Kildarecat. I had the privelage of working with him a couple of times and his attention to detail is frightening.
Perhaps Sos would be of better use to your club by restructuring and reorganising your underage system?
Back to top Go down
kildarecat
All-Star
All-Star
kildarecat

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 9:05 am

We'll leave at that after this BTA, because the thread is not about Moorefield, Gerry Moran a nicer man you'll never meet, done fabulous things at underage, my father is dead now but Gerry and him were a basic house on fire.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 9:24 am

SamMaguire wrote:
Could they not have held the interview in a hotel rather than after his Brazilian jujitsu? Of course that mightn't do anything to promote the myth of the Geezer. I guess he'd rather talk about Spartan warriors than his managerial record.

The interview WAS done in a hotel as it happens. Red Cow. John went to watch him train because he was interested and felt it would add to the article. So that's one less thing you can give out about.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 9:55 am

BelieveToAchieve wrote:
Crofton had all the same players available to him & couldn't make a team from them. Geezer has also unearthed at least one new player every year since. Including all star Peter Kelly.

But all that has been debated before. I just hope Geezer can tweak things this year and get things back on track.

And the Meath game, there were a lot of things wrong that day. And without whinging or moaning, I still reckon we were on the way back until Flynn got sent off.

As for another round of Micko. God I hope not.

Don't think Kildare were ever winning that game myself, they were dreadful. I would say though that if the Kildare panel is perceived now as being very strong now and as some view it, have underachieved, it certainly wasn't in 2008.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 9:59 am

TommyKeegan wrote:
Haters is a strong word. Very interesting piece - wouldn't agree with all of it, but still interesting. But there is nothing but extremes in terms of how you are perceived if you criticise Geezer. You are either a hater or blinded by him by the sounds of some on here. Is it possible to think he's done a good job mostly but messed up one or two things?

That would be my thinking anyway
Back to top Go down
SamMaguire
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 7:41 pm

Ogie wrote:
SamMaguire wrote:

The interview WAS done in a hotel as it happens. Red Cow. John went to watch him train because he was interested and felt it would add to the article. So that's one less thing you can give out about.

Fair enough. It may have added to the article but it also just serves to add to the bullcrap that has built up around him as some kind of messianic guru. He seems happy enough to go along with it too which might be considered strange for someone supposedly so wary of journalists.

The Battle of Thermopylae spiel wears a bit thin when the latest championship campaign he's presided over has just ended with a whimper.

Back to top Go down
tomcruise
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 8:29 pm

Article was interesting alright but I would not agree with his attitude towards minors and U/21s. Sees these grades more of development process rather than winning medals. Very strange Sad
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 11:05 pm

I thought the article was rubbish. I think he had improved Kildare no end but that article is rubbish. He is a Strange starange strange fish
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 11:14 pm

Wound too tight, he needs to take some lesson from Kung Fu Panda!! At Thermoplae the Spartans died he needs to read a bit more of this.......
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Art_of_War
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Good Geezer article in Sindo
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next