Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Good Geezer article in Sindo

Go down 
+19
SeamusMurphy
lillyboy
johnsmyth
overthebar
Loads of Pints
KILL BILL
Ohtoohtobe
Stonecold
Botch
tomcruise
murof
Sideline
kickingking
kildarecat
TommyKeegan
BelieveToAchieve
SamMaguire
wingback
Ogie
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

Good Geezer article in Sindo - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 12:15 am

kildarecat wrote:
No it didn't take Micko 6 years, he was in charge for 2 periods, his first period we were beaten in a league and 2 Leinster finals, Dermot Earley took over inbetween, unlucky himself mind you against Meath, then Micko took over in 1998

This isn't true, Micko took over for his second spell in 1997. (Earley was manager for 95 and 96). So 1998 was Micko's sixth year (1991, 92, 93, 94, 97, 98)
Back to top Go down
SamMaguire
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 12:18 am

Maybe we should ask Mr Miyagi to fill the AN Other spot on the management team.

We still wouldn't win a whole lot playing football but we'd give Rio a right go in 2016!

Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 12:31 am

SamMaguire - yes it was a very mediocre year, still an improvement on what went before Kieran McGeeney came in, dont forget where we came from, and the journey may not just be over yet.
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 12:46 am

Amazing what you find when you clean out yer garage. 2006 All-Ireland Qualifier vs Cavan...
1. E. Murphy (ret)
2. A. McLoughlin
3. K. O'Neil
4. M Hogarty (ret)
5. M Foley
6. J Divilly eeerrrrrrr
7. A. Rainbow (ret)
8. K. Brennan (ret)
9. D Earley
10. J Doyle
11. J Kavanagh
12. R Sweeney
13. T. Archibold
14. T O'Connor
15. P O'Neill
21. E. O'Callaghan
30 H. Lynch

Point being since 2006 8 of those starters are still heavily involved, 4 of the 6 forwards are still 1st choice pick (5 if you include Leper, 6 if Roli)..........
Back to top Go down
Loads of Pints
All-Star
All-Star
Loads of Pints

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 1:53 am

be interesting to compare panels such as Dublin, Cork, Donegal, Kerry, to their panels of 2006 to see the difference in turnover of players to their current panels.

Back to top Go down
overthebar
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 2:08 am

Have to agree with you TC, not sure what he's getting at about minors and U21's..... Question wouldn't inspire much confidence in next years set up if i was selector with greezer for U21 panel........I would think that most of the more successful counties would place the importance of success at these age groups high on there list for future success at senior level...... Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation IMO.... maybe not..... confused
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 7:54 am

overthebar wrote:
Have to agree with you TC, not sure what he's getting at about minors and U21's..... Question wouldn't inspire much confidence in next years set up if i was selector with greezer for U21 panel........I would think that most of the more successful counties would place the importance of success at these age groups high on there list for future success at senior level...... Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation IMO.... maybe not..... confused

It's not an important grade, it never was and it never really will be. You only have to look at our own u21 set up in Kildare for clubs. Run off in mostly November when everything else has finished.

That's not to say that the players wont take it too seriously as all avenues lead to the senior panel lads.
No doubt about it, if there are training along with senior panel it will be intense and good preparation.

What better incentive for the u21 Kildare footballers other than knowing that if they impress at that grade there in line to be calld into the senior panel.
Back to top Go down
SamMaguire
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 9:11 pm

Tommy Callaghan also has an interview with Kieran McGeeney in the Leader this week, reviewing the year just gone. In it, he suggests there will be changes ahead for 2013.

http://www.leinsterleader.ie/sport/gaelic-games/kieran-mcgeeney-looks-back-on-2012-1-4346937

Asked if any players were contemplating retirements he admitted “a few will be making up their minds in the next few weeks and we will be finalising our panel, it is probably time for a wee bit of a change, it is not the nicest part of management but as I know myself time stands still for no one.”

Back to top Go down
johnsmyth
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 10:12 pm

It's not an important grade, it never was and it never really will be. You only have to look at our own u21 set up in Kildare for clubs. Run off in mostly November when everything else has finished.

Fionn I have to disagree with that.
More all Ireland winning sides are based on winning U21 titles than minor. Its importance is underestimated and its a grade that has been foolishly downgraded in Kildare in recent years. I've said it before Donegal Dublin Tyrone Kerry Cork all Ireland winning U21s without coincidence going on to Senior success. The Galway team that won in 98 beat a fantastic Kildare U21 team in the all semi final in 92, Joyce Fallon etc.
Also at club level it is not unimportant as it can be a means to reignite interest in lads who may be drifting away from the game
Back to top Go down
lillyboy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 10:47 pm

I agree that U/21 is of huge importance especially at inter county level however perhaps the piece didn't fully reflect his views. I can't see him leading the 21's without wanting to win something with them as that would seem to go against everything he's about.

Preparing young lads for senior inter county is certainly one of the tasks for minor and u/21 but it would be hugely disrespectful to use them as just feeders for the seniors and not give them every chance of success in their own right
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 11:11 pm

Can someone explain to me how a competition that has no league competition and is fitted in between other more important competitions is "of huge importance"?

Our club u21 championship will get under way in 2/3 weeks, will last 3/4 weeks max and for the most part will be played on dire pitches.

The intercounty u21 championship will get underway in march/april and is ran in between the National Football League. Some lads could be training since before christmas for one match that could end it all there.

How can this be counted as important. Minor is a far better competition and a far better judge on the talent you have coming through on a more regular basis.

Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 11:21 pm

I think it's of huge importance. If you look back at the list of All-Ireland U21 winners and compare them with senior winners a few years after you'll see why.

What I don't get is, why do the two things have to be mutually exclusive? Can't you develop players while also winning trophies? Indeed, wouldn't that be the best way to speed up their development, by getting as far as possible (more games, against better opposition, with the confidence that winning gives).
Back to top Go down
lillyboy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 11:43 pm

it is a joke and a complete after thought at club level but at inter county level it bridges the gap from minor to adult football at a time in life where a lot of the good habits and rituals are formed. A successful side at 21 are also more or less ready to compete at senior level and while the competition is running we should take it seriously
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2012 12:35 am

Lets be honest here folks, the U21 Club Competition in Kildare is an after thought, and probably something the CB would be happy to get rid of, sooner than have it on. IMO its a very important grade, as the amount of Players lost in transition from Minor to Senior is huge. If a Player is not good enough coming out of Minor to make his Senior Team, he gets to play Junior. If he is away in college, he gets to play very little, as the Junior Leagues are on Mondays / Tuesdays.
Back to top Go down
Duder
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2012 4:07 am

TommyKeegan wrote:
Haters is a strong word. Very interesting piece - wouldn't agree with all of it, but still interesting. But there is nothing but extremes in terms of how you are perceived if you criticise Geezer. You are either a hater or blinded by him by the sounds of some on here. Is it possible to think he's done a good job mostly but messed up one or two things?

People seem unwilling to accept this to be the position.

As an outsider from Dublin, I would see McGeeney's tenure as akin to that of Paul Caffrey. He remoulded a team which had a habit of underperforming, he returned his team to the top table of Gaelic Games, and he has a number of decent achievements, including his NFL victory in April.

However, I would also view his failures to beat a 14 man Dublin team on two occasions as a negative, his failures against Wicklow and Louth would also count against him, as would his inability to beat any top team (a failure of Caffrey's Dublin team) in the Country at Championship level.

The question is whether McGeeney has taken Kildare as far as he can?
Back to top Go down
kildarecat
All-Star
All-Star
kildarecat

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2012 4:50 am

Ohtoohtobe wrote:
kildarecat wrote:
No it didn't take Micko 6 years, he was in charge for 2 periods, his first period we were beaten in a league and 2 Leinster finals, Dermot Earley took over inbetween, unlucky himself mind you against Meath, then Micko took over in 1998

This isn't true, Micko took over for his second spell in 1997. (Earley was manager for 95 and 96). So 1998 was Micko's sixth year (1991, 92, 93, 94, 97, 98)

Your probably right, a very confusing time to be a Kildare supporter, remember the time we beat a hugely fancied Laois team with 13 men, probably my proudest moment coming out of Croke Park, 96 I think?, it was that game alone that said this Kildare team are no pussies, ok we lost to Meath after 2 replays the following year but we had well and truely arrived on the scene, this Kildare team is not to be messed with.
Back to top Go down
bloodsub
Intercounty
Intercounty
bloodsub

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2012 5:01 am

Laois with 13 men was 97, the three game saga with Meath was the next round. We were beaten by Louth and Laois in the first round in 95 and 96 when Dermot Earley Snr was manager.
Back to top Go down
kildarecat
All-Star
All-Star
kildarecat

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2012 8:16 am

I told you I'm losing it bloodsub
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2012 8:40 am

So Kildarecat / I presume you were calling for Mickos head after 6 years of winning nothing. Inability to beat a 14 man Meath team in '97.

What exactly are the differences between Micko's first 5/6 years and McGeeney's first 5?
Back to top Go down
kildarecat
All-Star
All-Star
kildarecat

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2012 8:49 am

Leinster final appearences maybe flour?, and no backdoor safety net, in Micko's tenure you lived on the edge you knew if you were beaten it was goodnight Irene all round, every game was do or die.
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2012 9:00 am

Leinster Final appearances? Thats it ?

2 Leinster Finals under Micko / 1 under McGeeney - massive difference there
Back to top Go down
kildarecat
All-Star
All-Star
kildarecat

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2012 9:20 am

was it not 2 in his first tenure and 3 in his 2nd?, and of course an All Ireland appearance probably 2 if John Finn wasn't sent off with about 8 mins to go in 2000, when I think we were leading by 2 at the time?, bloodsub might correct me on that?.

As mentioned before the backdoor only came into it in 2002, Micko's last year in charge, and very unlucky to lose to Dublin in that years Leinster final we were as usual the better team but only Kildare can muster up a way of losing games they should be winning, like 2009, 18 points from play, played some of the best football we've ever played and that includes Micko's team but somehow we managed to salvage a loss out of the jaws of victory, oh to be a Kildare supporter?
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2012 7:10 pm

We were in a National League Final in Micko's first year too. That was a much bigger occasion back then. We had a mighty crowd at it. I can still remember the roar that greeted our first point that day.

Last edited by kickingking on Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2012 7:10 pm

All I am saying is that if you compare like-for-like, there is very little difference in Micko's first 5 years in charge of Kildare and Geezers first 5 years. In fact I would argue that Geezer's has been more successful (National Trophy won).
Back to top Go down
hawker
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2012 8:35 pm

Just for the record the back door was introduced in 2001.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Good Geezer article in Sindo
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next