Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Good Geezer article in Sindo

Go down 
+19
SeamusMurphy
lillyboy
johnsmyth
overthebar
Loads of Pints
KILL BILL
Ohtoohtobe
Stonecold
Botch
tomcruise
murof
Sideline
kickingking
kildarecat
TommyKeegan
BelieveToAchieve
SamMaguire
wingback
Ogie
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

Good Geezer article in Sindo - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2012 9:02 pm

Duder wrote:
TommyKeegan wrote:
Haters is a strong word. Very interesting piece - wouldn't agree with all of it, but still interesting. But there is nothing but extremes in terms of how you are perceived if you criticise Geezer. You are either a hater or blinded by him by the sounds of some on here. Is it possible to think he's done a good job mostly but messed up one or two things?

People seem unwilling to accept this to be the position.

As an outsider from Dublin, I would see McGeeney's tenure as akin to that of Paul Caffrey. He remoulded a team which had a habit of underperforming, he returned his team to the top table of Gaelic Games, and he has a number of decent achievements, including his NFL victory in April.

However, I would also view his failures to beat a 14 man Dublin team on two occasions as a negative, his failures against Wicklow and Louth would also count against him, as would his inability to beat any top team (a failure of Caffrey's Dublin team) in the Country at Championship level.

The question is whether McGeeney has taken Kildare as far as he can?

Although I agree their reigns are similar I think you need to give McGeeney slightly more credit as I think Caffrey started the job with more to work with (2003 All-Ireland U21, team had already won Leinster in 2002). When Caffrey took over, Dublin were definitely at least top 6-10 in the country. When McGeeney took over, I would have ranked Kildare anywhere from 15th to 24th.
Back to top Go down
Duder
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2012 3:25 am

Ohtoohtobe wrote:
Although I agree their reigns are similar I think you need to give McGeeney slightly more credit as I think Caffrey started the job with more to work with (2003 All-Ireland U21, team had already won Leinster in 2002). When Caffrey took over, Dublin were definitely at least top 6-10 in the country. When McGeeney took over, I would have ranked Kildare anywhere from 15th to 24th.

I would certainly agree with a lot of that, and conceed that maybe I am not exactly comparing like with like. Prior to McGeeney taking over Kildare has become somewhat of a forgotten team along with Down, and to a lesser extent Galway. Kildare are steadfastly position in the Top 8 of Gaelic Games, and two years ago there was a solid argument that they ranked no lower than 3rd spot. Along with the return to NFL Division 1.
Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2012 5:49 pm

And who knows what 2013 may bring?.....................................................
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good Geezer article in Sindo   Good Geezer article in Sindo - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Good Geezer article in Sindo
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3