Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Arguing about former , current and future managers thread

Go down 
+46
naked-lilly
lomond
learmus
Dido
lilywhites on tour
White Bridge
reichenhall
Gaa1928
Frankel
Westside
Ahlethimout
Kildare98
jobluts
jj
kickingking
Onhisboot
bob12
micky murphy
overthebar
rgb
KILL BILL
jimmers
Ohtoohtobe
losthope
Ogie
Rex
Stonecold
Caprea
Sam1928
kildaregaa365
LillieLad
johnsmyth
murof
SeamusMurphy
Flamingo
if_in_doubt
Bad News Baba
jim
Taibi
TommyKeegan
lineball
hawker
Jimmy winning matches
lillyboy
topcat
The observer
50 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
overthebar
All-Star
All-Star

Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2014 2:30 am

Over the last few weeks most of the panel have played 2 or 3 games for their club. Some are recovering from injury and this has limited their game time. Full panel are in camp this weekend, not sure where there gone.....
Back to top Go down
White Bridge
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2014 2:53 am

They played Down yesterday in Carton House beating them 2-18 to 0-15
Back to top Go down
lilywhites on tour
All-Star
All-Star
lilywhites on tour

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2014 6:36 am

They trained also in Leixlip and had a meet and greet type event yesterday evening for the supporters. Great turnout and nice for them to interact with the fans, especially the kids.
Back to top Go down
reichenhall
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2014 12:04 am

Not sure what you mean ballyboy about "locals doing least" etc,but i think it is not a bad idea that former players begin their coaching/managerial careers away from the environment they have been involved in for so long,get a bit of experience for a few years and then hopefully come back to where it all began
Back to top Go down
if_in_doubt
All-Star
All-Star
if_in_doubt

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2014 7:06 am

ballyboy wrote:
The unwillingness of exKildare players to get involved with our underage set up is a big bug bear of mine. I have posted this on several occasions, there is lots of good people involved, but jaysus imagine the effect on an u14,16 or minor player having a Johnny, Dermot, Anthony or Rollie for example involved.
kickingking wrote:
I've been banging on about this for years. Are men like those named above being asked to get involved in the underage system? I know Rainbow was with the u21s for a while but putting them over an u14 panel and letting them develop their managerial and coaching style with them all the way up to minor or u21 would be so much more beneficial.
lillyboy wrote:
I heard the question posed once about"names"getting involved with the development squads and the reply was it wouldn't be enough of a challenge due to the lack of championship and number of games played
reichenhall wrote:
Not sure what you mean ballyboy about "locals doing least" etc,but i think it is not a bad idea that former players begin their coaching/managerial careers away from the environment they have been involved in for so long,get a bit of experience for a few years and then hopefully come back to where it all began

Reading a piece on the Dublin under 21's and their underage setup during the week and Andy Kettle was quoted as saying something along the lines of hard work done at underage levels over the last number of years, bearing fruit now, no secret to it other than dedication and commitment from past players and coaches, talented players are identified, nutured and developed up through the different age groups.

Nothing too special in that I though, seems to be a bit of common sense really.

Then I read about Jason Sherlock being over the under 14's, with Paul Casey, Paul Griffin and David Henry working alongside him.

Then how Ciaran Whelan, Colly Moran, Coman Goggins and Darren Homan are all either involved in this years under 16's or going to be over next years minor team.

Good players don't always make good coaches and all that, but creating scope for consistency in tactics and coaching systems across different age groups is definitely going to give you an advantage as young players progress over the years. I'd imagine young lads are more likely to listen and take on board the advice from people who have been there and worn the jersey before them.

It's not exactly something that would take a lot effort to replicate here and in other counties provided players are willing to get involved.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2014 9:15 am

if_in_doubt wrote:
ballyboy wrote:
The unwillingness of exKildare players to get involved with our underage set up is a big bug bear of mine. I have posted this on several occasions, there is lots of good people involved, but jaysus imagine the effect on an u14,16 or minor player having a Johnny, Dermot, Anthony or Rollie for example involved.
kickingking wrote:
I've been banging on about this for years. Are men like those named above being asked to get involved in the underage system? I know Rainbow was with the u21s for a while but putting them over an u14 panel and letting them develop their managerial and coaching style with them all the way up to minor or u21 would be so much more beneficial.
lillyboy wrote:
I heard the question posed once about"names"getting involved with the development squads and the reply was it wouldn't be enough of a challenge due to the lack of championship and number of games played
reichenhall wrote:

Reading a piece on the Dublin under 21's and their underage setup during the week and Andy Kettle was quoted as saying something along the lines of hard work done at underage levels over the last number of years, bearing fruit now, no secret to it other than dedication and commitment from past players and coaches, talented players are identified, nutured and developed up through the different age groups.

Nothing too special in that I though, seems to be a bit of common sense really.

Then I read about Jason Sherlock being over the under 14's, with Paul Casey, Paul Griffin and David Henry working alongside him.

Then how Ciaran Whelan, Colly Moran, Coman Goggins and Darren Homan are all either involved in this years under 16's or going to be over next years minor team.

Good players don't always make good coaches and all that, but creating scope for consistency in tactics and coaching systems across different age groups is definitely going to give you an advantage as young players progress over the years. I'd imagine young lads are more likely to listen and take on board the advice from people who have been there and worn the jersey before them.

It's not exactly something that would take a lot effort to replicate here and in other counties provided players are willing to get involved.

That's a fairly important proviso though! Syl Merrins has spoken about this in the past. When he was chairman and the development squads were beginning, Bryan Murphy was the only ex-player willing to get involved.
Back to top Go down
if_in_doubt
All-Star
All-Star
if_in_doubt

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2014 9:32 am

Ogie wrote:
That's a fairly important proviso though! Syl Merrins has spoken about this in the past. When he was chairman and the development squads were beginning, Bryan Murphy was the only ex-player willing to get involved.

True Ogie, it's the main factor alright.

I suppose in Dublin though there's a proven record of managers / coaches progressing up the ranks along with the players they're coaching, ultimately with the chance of being involved in the senior set up. It's bound to make it a bit more of an attractive role when you know there's some sort of carry over or consistency regarding training methods and tactics too.

Maybe there's an element of needing to prove yourself over younger players before being given the chance to work with under 21's or senior ones to it as well. Some former players might have the ambition and hunger to do something like that while others might prefer to pick and choose what role they'd take up.

Then again though, if "it wouldn't be enough of a challenge due to the lack of championship and number of games played" really is an excuse for not getting involved with an under 14 or 16 team then what better challenge than taking over a minor or under 21 team with no experience at all...
Back to top Go down
losthope
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2014 9:34 am

Its all about commitment and hard work and everybody has to buy in, for a long time the Dubs pricked about, they're not pricking about now. Kerry relied on their tradition, after Tipp's underage success they're not doing that now they are working as hard because they don't want to be left behind. Now there is no guarantee that this will win you numerous adult titles, Cork footballers imo would be an example of this but you would be giving yourself a better chance. Now I'll repeat, I am not knocking those that are currently involved, they are all good men, they are usually guys that have been identified as leading lights in their respective clubs but there needs to be more involvement from ex players. They need to be imparting their knowledge, experiences and above all else the level of commitment required. I'm still of the opinion that deep down not enough people are willing to do that last hard yard. As a former ex manager said ''you have to be willing to work hard to make somebody else look good''
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2014 9:54 am

Some excellent points made above.

I wonder if these prospective coaches/managers were given a firm commitment by the county board that if they take over an u14 team now that they will be able to take them all the way up through the system to u21 level, would they be more inclined to get involved? Is this happening already from u14 to u17?

I could see why some might turn down the opportunity as it stands. Leaving aside the obvious for a moment - family, work commitments etc. A lot of the names mentioned are ambitious guys and I too would probably be more inclined to look to a higher grade in another county if all that was on offer in Kildare was an u14 panel with no guarantee of long term progression beyond that. If there was a guarantee given that they would have five or six years at it all the way to u21 level, would that change things?

Like Ballyboy, I don't wish to knock any of those currently involved who are doing great work but surely the expertise of some of our recently retired players would be hugely beneficial to the young talent in these squads. We're missing a trick with these development squads, they need to be used to develop future county coaches and managers as well as future county players.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2014 7:07 am

Heard over the weekend that 2 more players have left the Kildare panel.

Is there any truth in this. Won't mention names in case it is not.
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2014 8:36 am

Anyone know whats the craic with Alan Smith, I know hes fit but is he part of the panel, seems to be doing well with the sash
Back to top Go down
Dido
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2014 6:03 pm

Don't know about smith but I heard Flynn is gone
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2014 7:20 pm

Dido I too heard Daryl Flynn has left the Kildare panel and another player.

Be interesting to hear peoples views on this.
Back to top Go down
Westside
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2014 7:32 pm

Is this from a reliable source?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2014 8:45 pm

Flynn would be a massive loss. can't understand how he got feck all game time in NFL.

Who else is gone?
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2014 9:40 pm

Daryl has played very little competitive football since his brilliant display against Donegal in 2011. He seems to become very injury prone since. Not sure he has the pace for midfield anymore but surely he could still have a role to play somewhere in the team especially if we were trying to defend a lead?
Looks like we are going to be seriously lacking in midfield options for yet another year now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2014 9:54 pm

mention names...
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2014 11:42 pm

Was very impressed with Ray Cahill and His playmaking Game on Sunday.. Is He on the Panel ?
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2014 12:04 am

While I respect the right of every player to be afforded the opportunity to play for his county, what is the point in having 4 O'Byrne Cups and 7 League games and then bringing someone new in 3 weeks before the championship starts. I think we have what we have on the panel and there will be no more club championships games, which is the best indicator of talent, until Kildare's championship run is over.

All that said a list of players remaining on the panel for the upcoming championships should be published.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2014 12:34 am

Who left with Flynn, has there been any more on this?
Back to top Go down
Westside
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2014 1:16 am

Does anyone know if Flynn even left the panel or is this just speculation?
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2014 6:57 am

I think Ray Cahill has to go away with the army?? and hope Daryl hasn't left good aul player on his day, that performance against Donegal was one of the best from any midfielder I have seen. I also think if he didn't get injured that day against Down we would have won.
Back to top Go down
learmus
Intermediate
Intermediate
learmus

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2014 6:48 pm

Back to top Go down
lomond
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2014 7:14 pm

I have not seen any of the moorefield games this yr but is either of the O'Connor brothers up to the required standard for inter-county if they decided to join us?
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2014 12:41 am

Eanna is IMO..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Arguing about former , current and future managers thread
Page 7 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next