Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Arguing about former , current and future managers thread

Go down 
+46
naked-lilly
lomond
learmus
Dido
lilywhites on tour
White Bridge
reichenhall
Gaa1928
Frankel
Westside
Ahlethimout
Kildare98
jobluts
jj
kickingking
Onhisboot
bob12
micky murphy
overthebar
rgb
KILL BILL
jimmers
Ohtoohtobe
losthope
Ogie
Rex
Stonecold
Caprea
Sam1928
kildaregaa365
LillieLad
johnsmyth
murof
SeamusMurphy
Flamingo
if_in_doubt
Bad News Baba
jim
Taibi
TommyKeegan
lineball
hawker
Jimmy winning matches
lillyboy
topcat
The observer
50 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
johnsmyth
Intercounty
Intercounty

Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 9:03 pm

According to some muppets JD retired because of the manager, good god this forum has gone to the dogs.
See Armagh got relegated, I can't explain how that happened given the coaching staff they had. Sure that's unfair, but that's the crap that fills up these threads lately.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 10:38 pm

johnsmyth wrote:
According to some muppets JD retired because of the manager, good god this forum has gone to the dogs.
See Armagh got relegated, I can't explain how that happened given the coaching staff they had. Sure that's unfair, but that's the crap that fills up these threads lately.

So burst yourself with infants for six months to get fit, come back and then call it quits when fit before the games you got fit for. I'd resort to abuse but would prefer a genuine answer. You're like a 1980s selector.
Back to top Go down
losthope
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 11:35 pm

Has it crossed your mind at all Tommy that at 36 years of age with 3 babies at home the man just can't give any more, do you have to belittle him by implying the announcement he made this evening and the reasons given are all lies, Johnny Doyle is and will always be a bigger man than that.
Back to top Go down
johnsmyth
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2014 11:55 pm

Johnys reasons are fairly obvious and if you think there's more to it then go ahead knock yourself out. You are one of the dogs I was referring to.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 12:04 am

Pure speculation that it's based on the manager. Maybe at his age, he just felt eight minutes all spring was not enough for him to be anywhere near his best in championship.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 12:13 am

Pure badness rather than speculation I'd say. Do you not think a man regarded all over Ireland as "decent", "a gent" and words to that effect might also be a decent husband and father who realises after trying to combine sport and family life these past few weeks ( it's not like he's been back for months) that he is needed at home. It's not like he didn't think long and hard about coming back at all. You make some good points on the Ryan v Geezer question but it's becoming a boring crusade at this stage. Did Paul Galvin also give up with unusual timing due to a lack of respect for management?
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star
jimmers

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 12:25 am

Crofter wrote:
Pure badness rather than speculation I'd say. Do you not think a man regarded all over Ireland as "decent", "a gent" and words to that effect might also be a decent husband and father who realises after trying to combine sport and family life these past few weeks ( it's not like he's been back for months) that he is needed at home. It's not like he didn't think long and hard about coming back at all. You make some good points on the Ryan v Geezer question but it's becoming a boring crusade at this stage. Did Paul Galvin also give up with unusual timing due to a lack of respect for management?

Agree completely Crofter. We all know what a gent JD was and is and I would accept completely his reasons for retiring. For people to come on here and make insinuations, unfounded insinuations at that, are insulting to the great man himself. He would have too much respect for the county he has represented for 14 years to be anything less than honest.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 12:28 am

Also if John was the type of player to throw the towel in just because all wasn't perfect in the camp he'd have missed a lot of years over the past 15.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 2:00 am

He's never given up and the greatest man for a fight, that's my point. I thad a great run in with a great man when a league wasn't going well and he called me off his back such is his fight and pride in Kildare. Not going further on that but he has the greatest fight ever. Thus, just saying, maybe he even can't be bothered with what's happening now. Of course that's a negative on a wonderful day... All I'm saying is, why burst your balls for six months of winter to get back and call time when the sun comes up? Maybe, just maybe, he realises this year isn't worth his while at his age? Remember the thread folks and I avoided it in a more personal thread...
Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 11:38 am

And remember, Emmett, Leper, Dermot and the great man himself said what happened last year was (and still is) damaging to Kildare, they had no agenda other than what was best for Kildare, others in the gallery of the Roman Senate though differently and acted accordingly.
Back to top Go down
lineball
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 11:49 am

I see a certain poster had on his profile "Kildare's loss is Armagh's gain" and after yesterdays results its somehow disappeared
Back to top Go down
rgb
All-Star
All-Star
rgb

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 12:20 pm

Lads, it's over a year since I posted anything on this forum but I have been reading it most days.

We all have our opinions, but I have to comment on the the speculation that some posters are determined to bring up regarding John Doyle's retirement, and the reasons for it.

Those who intend to see his decision as something equating to a loss of faith in management are wrong. Purely and simply wrong. While it might be understandable to choose to interpret his decision as such, I just felt the need to log in and let people know.

It does no favours to JD or to the management to continue to speculate.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 12:20 pm

lineball wrote:
I see a certain poster had on his profile "Kildare's loss is Armagh's gain" and after yesterdays results its somehow disappeared

Understanbable really, probably traumatised after losing €20 on Westmeath yesterday and seeing Armagh relegated!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 12:23 pm

We lost 5 games on the bounce in the League.

We have conceded 143 points in 7 games. That's over 20 points a game. Only 2 teams conceded more. Westmeath and Carlow. If you take out the Westmeath game that average goes up to 23 points a game.

There is absolutely no pattern to our play. There is no real system and we seem to be devoid of a defensive plan to prevent coughing up so many goal chances. We toyed with the idea of short kickouts, quick kickouts and long kickouts and thus far have mastered none of them.

The performances and form of some of our experienced and top players has been very questionable. Mick Foley an all Star winner and Hugh McGrillen who has been probably the most consistent player in a Kildare jersey the last 5 years are the 2 most notable and this has to be a worry.

Players have openly spoken of lacking confidence and hunger.

There has been talk of discontent in the camp and just recently a number of players had to be disciplined for a breach of squad rules although our fearless leader will tell us otherwise.

And then we have Johnny retiring mid season.

They are the facts. People can call others dogs and muppets if they wish.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 12:26 pm

lineball wrote:

It's still there actually. And that quote is from an Ex Kildare player.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 1:32 pm

**JR** wrote:
lineball wrote:

And deciding that is untrue on the basis of one league campaign is the same as deciding Jason Ryan is a muppet on the basis of one league campaign.

I'm glad rgb posted what he did there. I knew this bull would emerge and Johnny would be horrified. Fact is, he hasn't been able to give the commitment. He hasn't trained full time with Kildare even since he has come back. And after his first football game of the year - a league outing against Ballykelly - he was sore as a boil. He couldn't do it. And he wasn't going to do it giving anything less than 100%.

Anyone wanting to have a go at Jason Ryan, whose record in his first year with a transitional Kildare team is pretty similar to Kieran McGeeney's when he took on a much more experienced outfit, needs to leave JD out of it anyway, even if it doesn't fit their 'opinion'.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 1:36 pm

TommyKeegan wrote:
He's never given up and the greatest man for a fight, that's my point. I thad a great run in with a great man when a league wasn't going well and he called me off his back such is his fight and pride in Kildare. Not going further on that but he has the greatest fight ever. Thus, just saying, maybe he even can't be bothered with what's happening now. Of course that's a negative on a wonderful day... All I'm saying is, why burst your balls for six months of winter to get back and call time when the sun comes up? Maybe, just maybe, he realises this year isn't worth his while at his age? Remember the thread folks and I avoided it in a more personal thread...

He wasn't in a position to burst his balls Tommy. That's why he made the call.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 1:38 pm

What is everybody's favourite Johnny D moment? There are so many. It's the catch against Down for me but I've a terrible memory. And there will be so many times he chased lads 80 yards down the field to dispossess them that should be up there. But he was so great that that sort of stuff was a given with him. God what a pleasure it must have been to be his manager/coach.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 1:44 pm

Ogie wrote:

And deciding that is untrue on the basis of one league campaign is the same as deciding Jason Ryan is a muppet on the basis of one league campaign.

Might I ask Ogie who labelled Jason Ryan as a "muppet"?

I would be 100% certain that JD's retirement is purely down to family commitment.

Would or could he have soldiered on for a few more months under different circumstances. We'll never know.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 1:51 pm

**JR** wrote:
Ogie wrote:

Might I ask Ogie who labelled Jason Ryan as a "muppet"?

I would be 100% certain that JD's retirement is purely down to family commitment.

Would or could he have soldiered on for a few more months under different circumstances. We'll never know.

Sorry JR, that was poetic licence - I'm not sure if someone has used that exact word but it's what I've taken from many of the comments here, so I'm paraphrasing I guess.

All I can say is that from what I have been told, he has not been able to attend all county training even in the few weeks he's been back and is just nowhere near the level he would normally be at. And his home situation isn't going to change obviously so he would only fall further behind. And that's not good when you're 36 (not 37, as has been reported in some places, due largely to wikipedia I presume).

If Kildare were challenging for an All-Ireland would he try to make a go of it? Probably. But if he were 10 years younger he probably would too.
Back to top Go down
Bad News Baba
All-Star
All-Star
Bad News Baba

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 2:43 pm

ogie wrote:
**JR** wrote:
lineball wrote:

I'm glad rgb posted what he did there. I knew this bull would emerge and Johnny would be horrified. Fact is, he hasn't been able to give the commitment. He hasn't trained full time with Kildare even since he has come back. And after his first football game of the year - a league outing against Ballykelly - he was sore as a boil. He couldn't do it. And he wasn't going to do it giving anything less than 100%.

Anyone wanting to have a go at Jason Ryan, whose record in his first year with a transitional Kildare team is pretty similar to Kieran McGeeney's when he took on a much more experienced outfit, needs to leave JD out of it anyway, even if it doesn't fit their 'opinion'.

McGeeney took over a more experienced side than Ryan. In your dreams he did. Nonsense some of the stuff posted to try and push a point of view.
Back to top Go down
overthebar
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 3:00 pm

At least Geezer kept up his managerial record of the team he is involved with getting relegated in his first year.....  Wink  Wink  Wink  wonder will Armagh folk have the patience and give him 6 years like he got with us to turn things around....... wouldn't think to many are happy to be in Div 3 for 2015 session.... be interesting to see how they get on in Ulster championship this year.....

Last edited by overthebar on Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bad News Baba
All-Star
All-Star
Bad News Baba

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 3:45 pm

Well since he was only a selector like Ryan was last year, by your supreme logic Ryan should be treated the same. Relegated in his first year and don't think many are happy here to be in Div 2. Be interesting to see how we get on on Leinster.
He won't get six years though one is enough.

Smiley face just for overthebar as he seems to like them  Wink Wink Wink 
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 3:50 pm

Dare i comment on here about Armagh being relegated to Div 3 and any influence the former manager had on that!
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 3:59 pm

I see Longford were relagated along with the Biffos..
Maybe "u know who" wasnt doing such a bad Job afterall.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Arguing about former , current and future managers thread   Arguing about former , current and future  managers thread - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Arguing about former , current and future managers thread
Page 3 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next