Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kevin Feely

Go down 
+33
lilysavage
kildaregaa365
Loads of Pints
flourman
reichenhall
jimmers
Big Full Back
inexile
White Bridge
bloodsub
Athyman
Cilldara_2000
Gaa1928
topcat
LillieLad
Rex
jobluts
jj
murof
tpos
losthope
kelf
micky murphy
fatherted
Bigfullforward
lillyboy
thelads
Ogie
Jimmy winning matches
TommyKeegan
Ois
SeamusMurphy
if_in_doubt
37 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

Kevin Feely - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kevin Feely   Kevin Feely - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2014 9:38 am

I believe he played some part in the Tipp game. Not sure if it was the Junior or Senior side though.

Any truth in this
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kevin Feely   Kevin Feely - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2014 5:42 pm

Yep he came on for the seniors against Tipp on Thursday, not sure how long he got OT how well he did though.
Back to top Go down
bloodsub
Intercounty
Intercounty
bloodsub

PostSubject: Re: Kevin Feely   Kevin Feely - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 3:44 am

Kevin Feely called up to the Ireland under 21 squad for a friendly on the 24th May.
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kevin Feely   Kevin Feely - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 4:00 am

bloodsub wrote:
Kevin Feely called up to the Ireland under 21 squad for a friendly on the 24th May.

Shit don't think he will be playing for Kildare so
Back to top Go down
White Bridge
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kevin Feely   Kevin Feely - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 7:25 am

bloodsub wrote:

A political move if I ever saw one!
Back to top Go down
inexile
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kevin Feely   Kevin Feely - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 7:49 am

White Bridge wrote:
bloodsub wrote:

Not too uptodate with the soccer rules, but if he was released by Charlton, does that not mean he has no club. And can you be called up for a international if you don't have a club? Just wondering like.
Back to top Go down
if_in_doubt
All-Star
All-Star
if_in_doubt

PostSubject: Re: Kevin Feely   Kevin Feely - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 7:56 am

inexile wrote:
White Bridge wrote:
bloodsub wrote:

Not too uptodate with the soccer rules, but if he was released by Charlton, does that not mean he has no club. And can you be called up for a international if you don't have a club? Just wondering like.

Didn't Gary Breen play at the World Cup in 02 without a club?

He's been involved with the under 21's before hasn't he? He'll than likely get an offer or two in England or from one of the Dublin clubs, whether or not he accepts one is another matter.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Kevin Feely   Kevin Feely - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 8:00 am

White Bridge wrote:
bloodsub wrote:

It's a strange one. I don't know the history of the Irish U21 squad, as in has he been a regular but it comes a couple of days after he was apparently playing in some form for Kildare in Thurles.

He was one of the best prospects I had seen in a Kildare Jersey for many a year. A high flying scoring midfielder who could dominate a game and win it by himself.
Saying all that and I don't want to come across as having a go at him but if he had a clue he might get a call up he should not have went down a played during the week. It was a waste of his and Ryan's efforts at such an important time. Dan Flynn was the same. Came home knowing he would probably be going back yet allowed himself to re join the squad and worse still get picked for the U21's. A week later he was on a plane.

I wish these lads all the best in the world in what they do and will do they owe no one anything, but Jason Ryan is having a hard enough time as it is without lads coming and going in the squad.
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star
Big Full Back

PostSubject: Re: Kevin Feely   Kevin Feely - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 8:05 am

inexile wrote:
White Bridge wrote:
bloodsub wrote:

Don't need to be attached to a club. Sure isn't it a shopping window for him if he plays..... Surely he'd hardly be kidnapped and released about 15 mins after the final whistle!!! All fairness to him I do hope it works out for him. He's his future to think of too but by toggling out with Athy or Kildare shows he still the appetite for GAA.
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star
jimmers

PostSubject: Re: Kevin Feely   Kevin Feely - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 8:13 am

inexile wrote:
White Bridge wrote:
bloodsub wrote:

Soccer contracts in England usually run until the end of June so he is probably still technically a Charlton player - they've just told him that his contract won't be renewed. This U21 game (see link below) seems more of a PR exercise and is being played in Germany so it's unlikely any English club scouts will be there or indeed Irish ones. Maybe he's still holding out hope and keeping his options open. But as Rex says it doesn't help Ryan.

http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20140516-feely-earns-ireland-u21-call-up-1556581.aspx
Back to top Go down
inexile
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kevin Feely   Kevin Feely - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 8:32 am

jimmers wrote:
inexile wrote:
White Bridge wrote:
bloodsub wrote:

Soccer contracts in England usually run until the end of June so he is probably still technically a Charlton player - they've just told him that his contract won't be renewed. This U21 game (see link below) seems more of a PR exercise and is being played in Germany so it's unlikely any English club scouts will be there or indeed Irish ones. Maybe he's still holding out hope and keeping his options open. But as Rex says it doesn't help Ryan.

http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20140516-feely-earns-ireland-u21-call-up-1556581.aspx

If he;'s still under contract he's still munder contract so eligible for call up I would assume. As a previous poster said, its a shop window and you can't find fault with a lad for taking advantage of that. Considering the lack of opportunities for young Irish players to play in the premiership, is the attaraction fo english soccer still strong compared to say the seventies when Arsenal togged 8 irish lads in a match (don't remember the details, just the statistic).

Whatever path he chooses I hope it brings him success, though I would, like all of us I'm sure, like to see him play senior for Kildare I must admit.
Back to top Go down
if_in_doubt
All-Star
All-Star
if_in_doubt

PostSubject: Re: Kevin Feely   Kevin Feely - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 9:53 am

inexile wrote:
If he;'s still under contract he's still munder contract so eligible for call up I would assume. As a previous poster said, its a shop window and you can't find fault with a lad for taking advantage of that. Considering the lack of opportunities for young Irish players to play in the premiership, is the attaraction fo english soccer still strong compared to say the seventies  when Arsenal togged 8 irish lads in a match (don't remember the details, just the statistic).

Whatever path he chooses I hope it brings him success, though I would, like all of us I'm sure, like to see him play senior for Kildare I must admit.

The attraction for English teams in recruiting Irish players (if that's what you mean) isn't what is was. It's pretty much just as easy for them to scout and recruit South American or African players nowadays as it is Irish ones.

But there would be more attraction for a young lad to stay and develop here in the domestic league than there would have been a few years ago. The likes of Forde and Fahey have shown that's it's not too far fetched for a lad to go over to England, fail to make it at a top club, return home for a few years before eventually moving back over to England. If Ciaran Sheehan can earn a contract in a new sport at 23 than a chap like Feely can earn a football contract at 21/22.

If there's Irish players from English clubs in the squad with Feely then it's possible they'll have a scout at the game or at the least have somebody review a tape of it. Like has been said it's a shop window and decent enough chance for him to show people how good he is.

If he's togging out for Athy and got a run in a challenge match for the county team then I can't imagine there's any substance to the rumours of him moving county or club any time soon though.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kevin Feely   Kevin Feely - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 12:17 am

White Bridge wrote:
bloodsub wrote:

Just like the call-up to the Kildare squad and no game of football played in a year!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kevin Feely   Kevin Feely - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 2:26 am

Rex wrote:

It's a strange one. I don't know the history of the Irish U21 squad, as in has he been a regular but it comes a couple of days after he was apparently playing in some form for Kildare in Thurles.

He was one of the best prospects I had seen in a Kildare Jersey for many a year. A high flying scoring midfielder who could dominate a game and win it by himself.
Saying all that and I don't want to come across as having a go at him but if he had a clue he might get a call up he should not have went down a played during the week. It was a waste of his and Ryan's efforts at such an important time. Dan Flynn was the same. Came home knowing he would probably be going back yet allowed himself to re join the squad and worse still get picked for the U21's. A week later he was on a plane.

I wish these lads all the best in the world in what they do and will do they owe no one anything, but Jason Ryan is having a hard enough time as it is without lads coming and going in the squad.

Careful now. These lads are above reproach.
Back to top Go down
reichenhall
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kevin Feely   Kevin Feely - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2014 5:11 am

Kevin talking to Ger McNally on Scoreboard shortly on KFM re his U21 Ireland debut on Saturday in Germany and his plans for the future.
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kevin Feely   Kevin Feely - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2014 5:59 am

anyone know what was said, I missed it.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Kevin Feely   Kevin Feely - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2014 6:09 am

Unsurprisingly he has opted for soccer again next year.

What he was doing in Thurles then is baffling. He knew what he was going to do. Saying that Ryan should never have entertained the idea of bringing him into the squad at such a late time in the year.
He is making a rod for his own back and loading a gun with ammunition for his detractors.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kevin Feely   Kevin Feely - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2014 7:09 am

I don't think Feely knew what he wanted to do next year and maybe Ryan thought including him in the squad would entice him to pick gaa over soccer. From what I heard the surprise inclusion in the Ireland U21 team and the honour of playing for his country has rekindled his ambition to stay in England.
He said that he was willing to play for any club that would guarantee him regular football and conceded that at the moment that was likely to be League 2 level. Pity he has decided to settle for that level considering the talent he has and it looks like the end of seeing him in a Kildare jersey for some time if ever.
Back to top Go down
reichenhall
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kevin Feely   Kevin Feely - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2014 7:27 am

Not entirely true Rex he obviously needed time at home to make probably one of the biggest decisions of his life,Jason may have tried to entice him as Murof said so you cant blame him for keeping his options open,i think he has made the right decision,not twenty two yet,give it a go for a season or two and see what happens,he wont get that chance in five years time,as for League 2 if he gets regular football at that level he will find his feet and hopefully move on to better things.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Kevin Feely   Kevin Feely - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2014 7:46 am

Ah lads, you're intelligent men. He always wanted to play soccer and there is no harm in that at all, best of luck to him. But my view is if he had any inkling or leaning towards soccer which he plainly did then he should out of courtesy declined the call up.

The second problem is Ryan called him up five weeks before the Louth game when he hasn't played football in well over 18 months. This is not a time for silly buggers. There should be tunnel vision on Louth because a loss will have serious consequences and fallout. They should be deadly serious about everything they are doing. Flynn and Feely where both brought in and both are gone a week or two later. It sends out all the wrong signals.

Maybe I'm being harsh but the Kildare jersey is near sacrosanct to me and to see lads using it as a fall back doesn't sit right at all.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kevin Feely   Kevin Feely - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2014 8:11 pm

A bit harsh yes Rex, if Ryan didn't try and get Feely on board he would have been heavily criticised by some posters here. All he did was bring him into the squad, it wasn't as if he was guarenteeing him a starting spot against Louth. A lot of the players on the squad would have played with and against Feely so would know him well.
At the end of the day it's no suprise both players decided to go back to playing a game that actually rewards them financially. The GAA will always struggle to compete with that.
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kevin Feely   Kevin Feely - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2014 8:26 pm

Have to agree with Murof on this one Rex - I would have been disappointed if Ryan did nothing to try and persuade Feely to stick with GAA - but I do take your points too.
Back to top Go down
Loads of Pints
All-Star
All-Star
Loads of Pints

PostSubject: Re: Kevin Feely   Kevin Feely - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2014 8:47 pm

agreed, nonsense by Rex. This needs to be filed under the 'What else can Jason Ryan be blamed for' thread
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Kevin Feely   Kevin Feely - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2014 9:54 pm

Nonsense eh, it's just my opinion you child. Grow up for God's sake. You're what's wrong with the forum. An opinion is classed as nonsense because you don't agree with it. You didn't even bother posting a counter argument. A wind up merchant if I ever saw one.

So just for you I'll say it again, calling up a 21 year old who has never played senior intercounty football, who has not kicked a football in two years and who was on the look out for another club in England meaning he could go again at any time, five weeks before the biggest game Kildare have had in years in terms of consequences is wrong. He hasn't even played a competitive club game. That's my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Loads of Pints
All-Star
All-Star
Loads of Pints

PostSubject: Re: Kevin Feely   Kevin Feely - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2014 10:13 pm

Charming, thanks. I didn't feel the need to post a reasoned argument given that murof hit the nail on the head. If no move was made by management to try an entice KF into inter county football then Jason Ryan would have been berated on here in some quarters.

Its clear he is in a fucked if he does, fucked if he doesn't stage now with many Kildare fans without having played a championship game, which has in turn led to many of the threads on here becoming laden with this repetitive drivel...that my man, is what is whats wrong with this forum.

Kevin Feely togging out with his club in the championship obviously raised questions about his commitment to his soccer career so surely any half wit could see the logic of the management opening the door to try entice him back into the inter county set up. How many of the current Kildare squad were compared to Dermot Earley, Niall Buckley etc when they were still in their teens? Very few. Again, your argument is nonsense in my view x
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kevin Feely   Kevin Feely - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kevin Feely
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next