Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier

Go down 
+41
smokey
Big Full Back
lollypop
if_in_doubt
Taibi
Rex
kickingking
Gaa1928
inexile
TommyKeegan
tomoneillandhissisteranne
stanley
Kildare98
Ohtoohtobe
Stonecold
lillyboy
lilywhites on tour
jimmers
johnsmyth
Onhisboot
jim
jj
LillieLad
topcat
SeamusMurphy
Ogie
shoutitout
lilysavage
Jimmy winning matches
teedee
MD
KILL BILL
flourman
standhimup
Westside
gomearza
murof
Loads of Pints
OutTheGap
kildaregaa365
overthebar
45 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier   Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2014 11:58 am

Interesting that it was Ronan Quinn instead of Barry Solan who was communicating the instructions from the stand down to the players on the pitch. I think Solan was the runner in all the other games this year.
Back to top Go down
lillyboy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier   Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2014 6:37 pm

it's Clare away
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier   Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2014 9:25 pm

kickingking wrote:
Interesting that it was Ronan Quinn instead of Barry Solan who was communicating the instructions from the stand down to the players on the pitch. I think Solan was the runner in all the other games this year.

Or Rowan Quinn as the match programme has called him the last 3 games.
Back to top Go down
OutTheGap
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier   Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2014 9:29 pm

I see some of the papers are making a bit of a fuss over the disputed point Podge got in the 2nd half. Hard to tell but it apparently it was clearly "very wide" from the press box. Granted it did come at a crucial time but we did go on to win by 10 points so I don't think Down can complain to much.

Anyway it's nice to come out the right side of a decision against Down after what happened in 2010.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/controversial-score-points-way-for-kildare-275345.html
Back to top Go down
smokey
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier   Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2014 9:31 pm

Very quiet in here I'm just wondering how many pages we wud have if we'd lost.
I was impressed with Eoin Doyle when he came on yesterday, a half back line of him Conway and Bolton sounds interesting. EoF is just not firing at the minute and I thought Leper was very untidy the forced switch with Smith was a plus. Anyone else think Kelly got pushed around disposed v easily having said that he is far away our most creative player, superb for last ten. Midfield was so so Gordon is a fine fielder and was most impressive but Moolick finished v strong, Chalky looked hurt and Lynch done well when on.
Brave call putting o Grady straight on Coulter cud have backfired as Coulter won first ball in but MoG settled nicely after that won't be far from a start next time
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star
Stonecold

PostSubject: Re: Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier   Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2014 9:36 pm

JohnnyC wrote:
I see some of the papers are making a bit of a fuss over the disputed point Podge got in the 2nd half. Hard to tell but it apparently it was clearly "very wide" from the press box. Granted it did come at a crucial time but we did go on to win by 10 points so I don't think Down can complain to much.

Anyway it's nice to come out the right side of a decision against Down after what happened in 2010.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/controversial-score-points-way-for-kildare-275345.html

Still doesn't make up for Benny Coulters goal in 2010
Back to top Go down
Westside
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier   Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2014 9:40 pm

smokey wrote:
I was impressed with Eoin Doyle when he came on yesterday, a half back line of him Conway and Bolton sounds interesting. EoF is just not firing at the minute and I thought Leper was very untidy the forced switch with Smith was a plus. Anyone else think Kelly got pushed around disposed v easily having said that he is far away our most creative player, superb for last ten. Midfield was so so Gordon is a fine fielder and was most impressive but Moolick finished v strong, Chalky looked hurt and Lynch done well when on.
Brave call putting o Grady straight on Coulter cud have backfired as Coulter won first ball in but MoG settled nicely after that won't be far from a start next time

Thought the defense was excellent yesterday after being very poor throughout the league. Thought Bolton put in a great performance after his nightmare against Meath, Conway looked strong at centre back and Lyons showed just how important he is to the team in nullifying Conor Laverty. If we put in a similar defesive display against Clare we should win comfortably.
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier   Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2014 9:44 pm

Stonecold wrote:
JohnnyC wrote:

Still doesn't make up for Benny Coulters goal in 2010

or Smithy's legitimate point waved wide in the same game.
Back to top Go down
smokey
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier   Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2014 9:49 pm

It was definitely wide was beside linesman how he allowed it I don't know.
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier   Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2014 9:58 pm

Was a good win yesterday in difficult circumstances and shows our capabilities and also shows that no matter who the manager is the team have a responsibility once the white line is crossed and the lack of pure spirit shown against Meath was appauling.
Personally wasn't happy with the Solon sideline thing and was happier to see Quinn yesterday from the outset and it looks like we have started to learn from our mistakes.
Hopefully it's onward and upward from here
Back to top Go down
stanley
Intercounty
Intercounty
stanley

PostSubject: Re: Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier   Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2014 10:07 pm

Kildare 2/9 Clare 7/2 Draw 11/1

The bookmakers have us as clear favourites for this game, but I would say Jason Ryan will keep them focused on the challenge posed by Clare in Ennis. If my memory serves me well, we were favourites to beat Meath.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier   Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2014 10:23 pm

smokey wrote:

Any fans forum will go into overdrive after a bad defeat (and Meath was a bad defeat. It's the nature of these things.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
kildaregaa365

PostSubject: Re: Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier   Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2014 10:25 pm

stanley wrote:

Kildare     2/9                 Clare 7/2                Draw 11/1

The bookmakers have us as clear favourites for this game, but I would say Jason Ryan will keep them focused on the challenge posed by Clare in Ennis. If my memory serves me well, we were favourites to beat Meath.

Down, Laois and Tyrone were all favourites at the week end. Qualifier games take on a life of their own, particularly where there's little or no history between teams. Don't think we've ever met Clare in championship and very rarely in league. Novel tie.
Back to top Go down
stanley
Intercounty
Intercounty
stanley

PostSubject: Re: Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier   Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2014 10:51 pm

Crofter wrote:

Down, Laois and Tyrone were all favourites at the week end. Qualifier games take on a life of their own, particularly where there's little or no history between teams. Don't think we've ever met Clare in championship and very rarely in league. Novel tie.

Totally agree. On paper, we should win, but factor in that Clare are playing on their home ground, and judging by their comprehensive defeat of Carlow, and their first half performance against Kerry, I fully expect the kitchen sink to be thrown at us in Ennis.
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier   Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2014 10:56 pm

[quote="stanley"]
Crofter wrote:
I fully expect the kitchen sink to be thrown at us in Ennis.

Surely that would be a black card offence
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier   Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2014 11:20 pm

As long as they don't throw Davy Fitz at us.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier   Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 1:26 am

Or Ger Loughnane..
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier   Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 6:40 am

Looks like Jayson Rhine has gone through with his promise to delete his account if Kildare beat Down. All his posts are appearing as "Guest". Disappointed really. Good poster - McGeeney man crush aside.

How's he going to post the video now?
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier   Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 6:45 am

Taibi wrote:
Looks like Jayson Rhine has gone through with his promise to delete his account if Kildare beat Down. All his posts are appearing as "Guest". Disappointed really. Good poster - McGeeney man crush aside.

How's he going to post the video now?
what chances he come back under different name
Back to top Go down
if_in_doubt
All-Star
All-Star
if_in_doubt

PostSubject: Re: Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier   Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 6:57 am

Crofter wrote:
smokey wrote:

Any fans forum will go into overdrive after a bad defeat (and Meath was a bad defeat. It's the nature of these things.

I suppose we can hit both ends of the spectrum after a result.

One bad defeat, it's the end of the world, and it gets a bit tedious reading some of the posts on here, luckily though there was a constructive approach to some of them and quite a few good / interesting points on a defensive set up etc.

One good win, suddenly we should be capable of beating a lot of teams and everything seems rosey in the garden.

Thankfully we seem to have struck a bit of a balance after yesterday's result.

Supporting Kildare is a bit of a rollercoaster at times, but as with most things, it's better to experience the ups and downs of a rollercoaster than being stuck on a merry go round going around in circles.
Back to top Go down
shoutitout
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier   Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 7:57 pm

it_in_doubt would say its more than a bit of a roller coaster, more like the biggest one you can get.

Thought Down were very poor in the first half on Sunday. Leaving Coulter on the 45 suited us and I thought Cribben marked him well. When he was moved into the full forward line it took us awhile to come to grips with it and could of cost us the game hand Down got in for a goal.
Kildare showed great character when Down drew level. Podge's 45 was excellent and Smith scored a superb point from the left that really got the team moving forward again. IMO our half backs didn't break out with the ball in the first 50 minutes. I know we have conceded a lot of goals and a lot of that has being because the half backs were out of position but I think we need to find a happy medium if we are to push on in the championship.
Thought Ollie had a great game but wonder if we could play him on the 45 where we could use his speed more often. When he goes on a run he can beat 4-5 players with a short burst of pace and really open up the opposition.
All in all a great win and one which should see us push on and beat Clare. Think Leaper and Flats will be under pressure from Smith and O'Connor for a starting spot but Ryan might hold O'Connor to come off the bench.

Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier   Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 8:30 pm

If all goes according to plan and Dublin win Leinster : we are on a collision course with the Dubs on Saturday August 9th - probably be played in Tullamore  Laughing Laughing Laughing 
Back to top Go down
Westside
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier   Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 9:24 pm

shoutitout wrote:
it_in_doubt would say its more than a bit of a roller coaster, more like the biggest one you can get.

Thought Down were very poor in the first half on Sunday. Leaving Coulter on the 45 suited us and I thought Cribben marked him well. When he was moved into the full forward line it took us awhile to come to grips with it and could of cost us the game hand Down got in for a goal.
Kildare showed great character when Down drew level. Podge's 45 was excellent and Smith scored a superb point from the left that really got the team moving forward again. IMO our half backs didn't break out with the ball in the first 50 minutes. I know we have conceded a lot of goals and a lot of that has being because the half backs were out of position but I think we need to find a happy medium if we are to push on in the championship.
Thought Ollie had a great game but wonder if we could play him on the 45 where we could use his speed more often. When he goes on a run he can beat 4-5 players with a short burst of pace and really open up the opposition.
All in all a great win and one which should see us push on and beat Clare. Think Leaper and Flats will be under pressure from Smith and O'Connor for a starting spot but Ryan might hold O'Connor to come off the bench.

I thought the same about Lyons as well Shoutitout but is it a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul as he's our best man marker doing serious jobs on Maguire, Reilly and Laverty so far in the championship. If he was played on the 45 on Sunday Ryan would have ran the risk of Laverty putting up 2 -4 like he did against Leitrim.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier   Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 9:35 pm

Would I be correct in saying that we don't have to many injured players at the moment apart from Peter Kelly? It's a good position to be in heading into the latter stages.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier   Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 9:49 pm

murof wrote:
Would I be correct in saying that we don't have to many injured players at the moment apart from Peter Kelly? It's a good position to be in heading into the latter stages.

Fionn Dowling and Paul Cribbin too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier   Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Down v Kildare Round 2B Qualifier
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next