Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

General GAA - AOB

Go down 
+74
Sorrynotsorry
totalgaa
Curraghplains
tomoneillandhissisteranne
bite the pillow
Pkmie
DONTPULLOUT
Cassanata
moatesports
lillyboy
Flamingo
Onechance
Sam1928
Hang sangich
Fear An Geata
Bulldog
realmoore
Jimmy winning matches
bk 1
Lillywhite88
centreback
TheHulkHoganCowardFund
intheback
standhimup
bloodsub
parcel
sarsno1
Hurlerbehindtheditch
OutTheGap
topcat
hawker
Horsebox
LillieLad
learmus
steviegenius
lomond
All_right_in_white
White Bridge
whiteknight
bigball
Loads of Pints
Botch
jim
Lily8
if_in_doubt
murof
Caprea
kelf
shortgrass
flourman
lilywhites on tour
jj
Big Full Back
Ohtoohtobe
Xavi
Gaa1928
micky murphy
Shergar
Cilldara_2000
Highball
TommyKeegan
kickingking
Ogie
lilysavage
Taibi
MD
jimmers
Dinny Breen
reichenhall
kildaregaa365
SeamusMurphy
Kildare98
rob11
Rex
78 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

General GAA - AOB - Page 24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 24 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 26, 2017 7:34 pm

I don't think so highball.
Back to top Go down
Highball
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 24 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 26, 2017 10:10 pm

Cooper is aware that the financial element of the evening will come under the spotlight.

“That will always be the elephant in the room. Like, the aim of the night wasn’t to raise funds for Colm Cooper albeit that people might have different views on that.

“We wanted to have a GAA celebration because we’ve seen all these sporting stars in Ireland have these nights.

“And obviously the charities were very much to the fore of it as well. I’ve been very, very fortunate in my career to get a lot of support from different people.

“This is a way of giving back because I am conscious, I am probably old news already, but I will certainly be old news by 2018.

“This is probably me signing off. That’s basically the reasons behind it.”

Both charities are close to Cooper’s heart.
Back to top Go down
Highball
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 24 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 26, 2017 10:11 pm

http://www.the42.ie/colm-cooper-kerry-football-testimonial-dinner-3582696-Sep2017/

This was the article I was reading and took from it that he wasn't pocketing - On second reading though it doesn't reference how much is going where...
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2017 12:14 am

Taibi wrote:
LGFA has nothing got to do with the GAA so I couldn't care less.

There's secretaries (paid a full-time wage) and various dinosaurs on county boards getting paid very generous expenses, but when one of the best players the country has ever seen decides he'd like to make some money, he's greedy and bringing the ethos of the GAA into disrepute. What a load of shite!

What about all these guys abandoning their clubs and counties to try and make some money in the AFL? Are they greedy too?

Hypocrites everywhere.

and I care less about what you think,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but just don't slander good people doing voluntary work,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

after that fire away with your opinions of paid officials,,,,,, I know that when I was a delegate to GAA CB, one officer who also had a full-time job, was raking in double his job good salary in expenses,,,,,,,,,,, while a particular player who lived & worked within a few miles of the training centre collected more expenses, a lot more, than any of the other lads, some of whom were travelling quite long distances,,,,,,,,,, Yes there are greedy people, officials, players, managers but I would never tar everyone with the same dirty brush,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2017 2:36 am

Highball wrote:
http://www.the42.ie/colm-cooper-kerry-football-testimonial-dinner-3582696-Sep2017/

This was the article I was reading and took from it that he wasn't pocketing - On second reading though it doesn't reference how much is going where...

I'd Imagine it was just a Charitable fundraiser then there wouldn't be any controversy.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2017 2:42 am

Any truth in the rumours that the Dubs were on some sort of a bonus for winning the AI ?.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2017 3:58 am

Interesting clip doing rounds of Gavin giving speech at Round Towers All Ireland celebrations. He speaks with intelligence, eloquence, graciousness, humour - basically everything he lacks in post-match interviews. It is a good insight into him as a person. Also gives a mention to various coaches who influenced him along the way - including "Kildare's Pat Mangan".

His non-reaction to winning three in a row generated a lot of discussion, although I didn't really care tbh. More generally, have to say I hugely admire how calm he is during games. I think far too many managers get caught up in emotion of games and don't think clearly. Interestingly, he said this is Dubs' greatest All Ireland win on his watch, because of the severity of the pressure in closing stages and how they kept their heads.

Worth a look anyway, completely different to how you usually see Jim Gavin...
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2017 4:00 am

Re Gooch - it's definitely a 50/50 split both ways. 125K for Gooch, 125K for charities.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2017 4:53 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
Re Gooch - it's definitely a 50/50 split both ways. 125K for Gooch, 125K for charities.

That's the issue I think a lot of people have. Had it been clear it was all for him it would have been almost better. Throwing in charities seems like a smokescreen for him to cash in.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2017 5:38 am

I see Clane have not only done a Grange but up the anti by inviting multiple Dublin players and the Sam Maguire down on Friday evening.

The County is in a battle to win the hearts and minds of the younger population and we have one of the most Historical Kildare clubs ignoring their own club men from the past but also current and former Kildare players in favour of playing up to those who moved into the village. If I was a local from Clane it would stick in the craw that most of those who will attend couldn't give a thought to the club at any other time but will rock up in their Dublin jerseys to celebrate a rivals victory in their club.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2017 6:14 am

Infuriates me Rex. Are there any notices from club or locally about it?
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2017 6:43 am

Pass the sick bucket - inviting down Dubs to celebrate. Jesus can you imagine someone suggesting that to - for example - 80s and 90s Meath teams. After the laughter had died down, you'd be told to shove it in short order. We could do with Kildare stars and club stalwarts around the country speaking out against this kind of rubbish tbh.

But sure look it - if there are people in Grange and Clane with no self-respect, let them at it. Think it's clear there's a constituency of us on here who find it utterly nauseating.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2017 7:14 am

TommyKeegan wrote:
Infuriates me Rex. Are there any notices from club or locally about it?

Seen it on Twitter TK, think Clane have a link to it on their Twitter account.

I would love to see how many that will be there on Friday will be helping the Club or going to support them. I'd guess none if their lucky.

But you can guarantee any kids that are there will remember it and form their loyalties for years to come.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2017 7:26 am

Seeing it here now. A day to celebrate all that is local in Clane. No wonder we won't be taking advantage of the influx of kids with Dublin parents when we are convincing them to play for their parents' home county. Kids want winners these days and marketed teams and stars, not just the local like in bygone times, and nice to see we are helping Dublin on that front as if they need it. Really sickens my hole.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2017 7:28 am

Loved Gooch as a player but Declan O'Sullivan and the O'Sheas' must be thinking wtf!
Shame on Clane with the list of great players they have had in the last 20 years.

Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2017 7:44 am

Shame is right Murof - as you say outstanding players Clane have produced in the last 30 years. And a mighty young lad they had leading charge on our successful minors last year, Brian McLoughlin.

But in this instance, they are nothing short of a disgrace.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2017 7:48 am

Bank of Ireland behind the event which makes me think they aren't doing it for free. Open to correction or confirmation though.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2017 8:09 am

I'd say that this whole shebang is aimed at young Clifford. "Yerra stick around young lad and it will be worthwhile in the end "
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2017 8:49 am

On the Gooch thing, best of luck to him . Couple of charities getting few quid out of it too. It's a testimonial. No player will play GAA for offchence of a similar banquet 30 years down the line. Its not an upfront payment like most club managers are getting under the table but we've no issue with that it seems. Re Clane, I have to agree with sentiments here. We have legitimate stars like Kevin Feely, Dan Flynn, Doyle, Brophy etc who could have been asked. Bring Sam and a couple of Dubs as well if you like but don't be promoting your biggest rival to the next generation to the detriment of your own.
Back to top Go down
bigball
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2017 9:23 am

Did you hear about the time Navan O Mahoneys invited Diarmuid Connolly and Cluxton out to parade Sam around Navan? No of course you didnt because it would never happen in a million years. Shame on Clane GAA.
Back to top Go down
Jimmy winning matches
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2017 9:32 am

bigball wrote:
Did you hear about the time Navan O Mahoneys invited Diarmuid Connolly and Cluxton out to parade Sam around Navan? No of course you didnt because it would never happen in a million years. Shame on Clane GAA.
bank of Ireland invited them not Clane gaa
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2017 9:44 am

Bank of Ireland running Clane GAA now. How about some one in Clane grew a pair and told them to hold their victory lap in a Dublin club. It's no wonder we are a soft touch when we are inviting a rival into our own heartland.

Pretty shameful thing to do by a former great Kildare club, now they appear nothing more than a promotional nursery for dubs
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2017 10:00 am

Exactly - Clane grow a pair for Christ's sake. Seriously is there anyway we can pressure them to cancel this, it's an absolute embarrassment to Kildare GAA.

Great post by John Gunnigan on Mayo GAA after All Ireland final, saying they've never bent the knee to Dubs and never will. Jesus is it any wonder they feel like they're the only ones left standing up to them... Some people in this county seriously want to get their heads screwed on.

Last edited by HauntedGraffiti on Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2017 10:00 am

Double post
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2017 1:07 pm

So not only are they parading their victory at a Kildare club which has welcomed them with open arms in an area where we need to win the kids of Dublin parents who have moved there over, they are getting paid more for it while rolling in cash while we cannot keep up at an event that is promoting all that's local. You couldn't make it up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General GAA - AOB   General GAA - AOB - Page 24 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

General GAA - AOB
Page 24 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next