Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kildare v Galway

Go down 
+36
parcel
kildareking
Flamingo
Snowwhite
Ohtoohtobe
Yoyo
Taibi
tomoneillandhissisteranne
OutTheGap
lomond
jj
Highball
lillyboy
flourman
lilysavage
TheHulkHoganCowardFund
jobluts
white boy
TommyKeegan
Xavi
KILL BILL
bigball
Big Full Back
jim
DONTPULLOUT
SeamusMurphy
jimmers
topcat
kildaregaa365
kickingking
Shergar
Kildare98
murof
Rex
inexile
Jimmy winning matches
40 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

Kildare v Galway  - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway    Kildare v Galway  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2018 10:43 pm

Glen would certainly provoke passion.. but I don't see him or blame him wanting the kildare job after the way things went the last time..   hope I'm wrong.

There's also no reason why a good club manager can't make it at inter county. They have to start somewhere.

Last edited by SeamusMurphy on Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway    Kildare v Galway  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2018 10:47 pm

Glen Ryan brought Longford to Division 2 football, brought kildare U21s to All Ireland final in 08 and has won an intermediate championship with Towers and comefortably kept them @ senior level - I’m not saying he’s the answer to current problem but he’s managerial record is decent to say the least - and I’m damn sure he won’t tolerate the lack of pride, passion and commitment that we have been witness to over the last 12 months.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway    Kildare v Galway  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2018 10:51 pm

I would be a huge fan of Glen but it's pointless talking about him when we already have a manager in place. Cian wouldn't be the first asst manager who found the step up to manager difficult. He has a huge job ahead of him and he may have to have radical rethink on is way of doing things.
I wish him well but I fear the players at his disposal are not good enough to achieve anything more than a Leinster final.
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway    Kildare v Galway  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2018 10:57 pm

We can blame managers players etc The problem with teams starts at underage. Most of this current team at the moment were hyped up to the nines at underage in fact they were blown up that much there heads exploded. Ok they won a Leinster but they didnt win an All Ireland the Dubs Mayo Galway Kerry Tyrone all did at underage. This is having an effect on the players believing there own hype but the simple fact is that they are just not good enough to compete at the higher level for a county the size of Kildare its embarrassing are they being coached wrong are the right people in place you have to start at the bottom and work your way up to see where the problems lie. The few games I did see this year the same problems exist poor passing bringing the ball into contact poor kicking poor shot selection poor marking poor tackling I could go on but we all see it. i Don't think this is going to improve with this generation of players we have they just lack something that any sports man needs first and foremost BALLS/COURAGE
Back to top Go down
moatesports
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway    Kildare v Galway  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2018 12:11 am

sometimes you have to go back to the drawing board and start again maybe this group got to division one a year or two earlier than expected take a leaf out of rossies book back again after a poor year in top flight also cavan by a nose as well
Back to top Go down
http://moatesports.ie
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway    Kildare v Galway  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2018 2:54 am

Snowwhite wrote:
parcel wrote:
What is the argument against Glen Ryan??
I don´t have anything against Glen I just don't see the argument FOR Glen. Did I miss something with Longford when he was managing them? I didn't see any fantastic success they had with all his greatness? What can he instil in Kildare that others have not managed?   He was a brilliant footballer and?????  This doesn't make him a good manager either.....

Yes you did miss something during his time with Longford. He led them to back to back promotions getting them into Div2. He also oversaw a victory over Mayo. The vast majority of tha Mayo team have reached an All Ireland semi final or better every year since.

He did one year with Kildare 21s and reached an All Ireland final of that team only Alan Smith and Eoghan O Flaherty really established themselves as nailed on senior players so he wasn’t dealing with a team of superstars.

At club level he led Towers to the intermediate championship and also the quarter final of the senior last year.

Glen may not have the answers but to say he hasn’t done much as a manager is simply false.
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway    Kildare v Galway  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2018 3:51 am

This is brilliant...... sometimes the lack of reality here is crazy and indicates a lack of involvement in the GAA at any levels of clubs or county of some of the keyboard warriors on here..... first the players then the management and now Glenn Ryan an innocent party is being dragged into the discussion... im just waiting for the bring KMcG back thread....
People get this this is reality not some kind of computer game you can sit up all night playing...
Some of the comments on this as so sensationalist it just makes me laugh.......

Back to top Go down
Xavi
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway    Kildare v Galway  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2018 5:37 am

micky murphy wrote:
This is brilliant...... sometimes the lack of reality here is crazy and indicates a lack of involvement in the GAA at any levels of clubs or county of some of the keyboard warriors on here..... first the players then the management and now Glenn Ryan an innocent party is being dragged into the discussion... im just waiting for the bring KMcG back thread....
People get this this is reality not some kind of computer game you can sit up all night playing...
Some of the comments on this as so sensationalist it just makes me laugh.......

We bow to your superior knowledge Mickey Muphy because you played Division 6 league with Kildanagn .

You don't know what level anyone on here is involved with any club by the way similar to I don't know you either
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway    Kildare v Galway  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2018 5:43 am

So Mickey give us your thoughts on the current Kildare team and management. When you've stopped laughing that is.
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star
Big Full Back

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway    Kildare v Galway  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2018 8:45 am

Realistically CO’N was on a winner when he took over as we were in Div. 3 and getting Kildare promoted was a must and achievable which he did. As 2017 transpired he probably was looking at continuing his building process and promotion was a possibility but not the priority. Having started Div. 2 well and like all good sports saying winning is addictive so the promotion bandwagon took off. The defeat to a Galway team also on the up was a reminder that we hadn’t leapfrogged into a serious team that Dublin would be fearful of. We put up a good show in the Leinster final but ultimately Dublin still could have ramped it up. The defeat to Armagh was hard to take and it prob. more the sideline out foxed Kildare on the day. The step up to Div. 1 is massive both for the players and management. Having attended a few training sessions over the years I think Kildare don’t have enough team supports in place and the reality is CO’N, Rollie and Enda are the back room and support team. To continue to develop and maintain Div. 1 status you need a larger back room team. In KMcG time he had a lot more in the background and we were competitive and unlucky not to have contested the All Ireland Final. I think Div. 1 this has been a jump too far and too soon. The management need more supports in the background to try develop a group that have mixed it at under age levels. It’s back to Div. 2 and like Roscommon and Cavan if we want to be serious we need to bounce back up to Div. 1 straight away but I don’t think we have enough resources to make that happen.
Back to top Go down
white boy
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway    Kildare v Galway  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2018 10:49 am

Galway did not become a 15 p better team over night . Management brought in Paddy Tally to work on a system of play, and learn how to tackle.C. o. n is trying to do everything. Can't be done needs to bring in a fresh face to save his job. With a new man on board the players need to be shown a system this is what you need to do yo win . Galway can tackle now , we shadowed shadow tackle.
Back to top Go down
kildareking
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway    Kildare v Galway  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2018 6:34 pm

Cian O'Neil picks his own back room team, if he doesnt have enough people in it thats his own fault....if you own a business and dont employ enough staff dont go blaming people..........was a dreadful attempt at explaining why we arnt doing well.......he can bring in more backroom team whenever he wants.....he is a poor manager..
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway    Kildare v Galway  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2018 7:11 pm

Xavi couldn't make that Div 6 team!!! and murof from your posts you talk sense.....
My opinion on the set up at the moment is that we are under performing and the players lack that ruthlessness and it is too easy for them to lose or step aside like many of them, even our talisman this year Dan Flynn could throw a wobbler at some stage god only knows....
To me unless we go high profile manager and are willing to spend big no other manager is going to do too much better and the bunch of players need to stop looking outward for excuses and start looking at themselves and their honesty to the sport.... and that has nothing to do with skill levels or fitness levels..........
Back to top Go down
white boy
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway    Kildare v Galway  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2018 7:19 pm

Well put to you this way, as i see it he trying to do it all himself with a small hand from the boys From my experience of coaching you can not run that set up on you own. Jim Galvin has loads of lads on the job, we all know who there are , all he dose is overseeing the whole job and making the hard calls end of story. You must have 1 man dealing with 1 job the book stops with him be it backs or forwards.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway    Kildare v Galway  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2018 7:34 pm

Except I'm sure I read an article at the start of the year in the Nationalist or Leader where CON stated he tried to do everything himself at the beginning but realised it was impossible and so brought in Roli and Enda and handed over a lot of training responsibility to them.
Back to top Go down
moatesports
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway    Kildare v Galway  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2018 12:15 am

i agree 1oo per cent with micky murphy to look at this kildare team togged out they are as big physically as any team in the country , all the pundits say they a big team but you need more than skill you need heart ,old fashioned guts it used to be called , die with your boots on , go to war with , to me that seems to be lacking in this group , big time .
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star
Big Full Back

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway    Kildare v Galway  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2018 4:38 am

Rex wrote:
Except I'm sure I read an article at the start of the year in the Nationalist or Leader where CON stated he tried to do everything himself at the beginning but realised it was impossible and so brought in Roli and Enda and handed over a lot of training responsibility to them.

Which is fair enough Rex but you’re handing two jobs of many to two selectors when they should be more in an observation role. Ger McNally was only saying during the Mayo match that four or five stats lads for Mayo were sitting in front of him. A fringe player on the Dublin panel told me each line of the Dublin team has a stats man. At half time the three go straight in to him before any team talk. Two of Gavin’s men live in Kidare and their job is to go and watch the opposition teams at every opportunity. They never see Dublin playing as they’re always at other games throughout the year.

Regarding the buck stopping with the boss it’s true and CO’N is the boss but he can only take on board what his pot of gold will allow and what the County Board will fund. They have a decent set up but far from adequate to be competitive in Div. 1 and the bounce back next year will be very tough with the teams they’ll be up against.
Back to top Go down
TheHulkHoganCowardFund
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway    Kildare v Galway  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2018 9:06 am

Players aren't good enough simple as.
Back to top Go down
moatesports
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway    Kildare v Galway  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2018 9:10 am

Well hulk u could be right but u live and hope that one day it will happen its the old story I used to be indecisive now I'm not so sure
Back to top Go down
OutTheGap
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway    Kildare v Galway  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2018 10:11 am

When Cian got the job, with his background in coaching and sports science and experience with teams competing for All-Irelands, I was confident he would be able to get a back room team which would enable us to compete at this level. It's disappointing if we're falling short in this area, but you'd think it wouldn't be that difficult/costly to get a few extra bodies to help out with stats/logistics etc.

I sometimes wonder when I see Cian doing the drills before a match if he's made the transition from coach to manager. I think he should be observing things, having quiet words with individual players to make sure they are tuned in and know what's expected of them. Getting the best people in and delegating to them is essential for an inter county manager.

Maybe I'm deluded but I still think if we got a top-class coach we could see a big difference to our defending (tackling) and attacking (more direct play and less lateral hand passing). Hard to see him bringing in somebody midseason though...
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway    Kildare v Galway  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2018 2:43 am

Galway are a decent outfit but in fairness to them their players seem to be clued in. Make the right decisions. And have improved their basic skills like tackling and working scores under pressure.
This Kildare team from what I see are still hit and miss and you could not have confidence in their abilities to score. Lets face it. Dan Flynn may score in one game and follow up the next by loads of misses. The players are just not learning from their mistakes. Either they are just not good enough for the top level or they are not being taken to task by management on what they are doing during games.

Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway    Kildare v Galway  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2018 3:14 am

Definitely these lads can compete at the top level - and to be fair we actually saw that in a few of the league games even if results didn't go our way - but translating that into actually winning close games is another step. Definitely part of it is psychological - the modern history of Kildare football apart from Micko's second spell is not filled with title-winning teams.

Even under Geezer, when we were competitive, we never actually won a close championship game against a top team. So we have a lot to do to turn the tide. Definitely the management can work on it, but to me ultimately it comes down to the players. The management, supporters, every can point out to them where they're going wrong, but ultimately they're the ones who have to see out a close game against a top team.

Mind you it they could do it once, think it would do wonders for their confidence.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway    Kildare v Galway  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2018 6:14 am

Galway making commercial hay with 98 commemorations. Meanwhile our anniversary celebrations consist of... well, nothing apparently. Is there ever a county more in dire need of a commercial manager? Would pay for themselves!
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway    Kildare v Galway  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2018 12:29 pm

Wouldn't it be kind of pathetic to commemorate the 20th anniversary of a game we lost?
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway    Kildare v Galway  - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2018 7:57 pm

We could commemorate the 20th anniversary of winning our first Leinster final in over 40 years and beating the 3 previous AI winners in reaching the final. Doesn't have to be all negative when we talk about Kildare football surely.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway    Kildare v Galway  - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kildare v Galway
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next