Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May

Go down 
+40
Gaa1928
bloodsub
steviegenius
murof
MD
Kildare98
if_in_doubt
lilysavage
Shergar
Snowwhite
FionnMcCool
moatesports
topcat
TommyKeegan
flourman
Badger85
intheback
Ohtoohtobe
bigball
tomoneillandhissisteranne
Flamingo
Borderline
lillyboy
Blackadder
lily4fr
DONTPULLOUT
parcel
John_R
bite the pillow
Taibi
Captain1928
jimmers
Big Full Back
KILL BILL
Onhisboot
Ogie
OutTheGap
kickingking
Fizzer
Bigfullforward
44 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
bigball
Intercounty
Intercounty

Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May   Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2019 5:54 pm

Sorry murof but im going to have to pull you up on that comment regarding feelys workrate. In a championship match in 2017 he covered over 13km in a game, a feat which has not been topped any intercounty footballer since. How can you possibly pick him out for criticism?
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May   Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2019 6:59 pm

Big ball, I'm not picking him out for criticism, I mentioned him as he by miles our best midfielder. I think his work rate has dropped off this year compared to 2017. Probably unfair to compare him to the 98 guys as they were superb footballers. The real pity that we don't have a mobile player alongside him.
For the record I think he is the finest fielder I've seen in a white Jersey. How would you rate our defenders compared to the top 5 or 6 teams around.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May   Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2019 7:28 pm

A lot of people are acting like there’s some big mystery in the drop off in performances and results last year, but of the 15 that started in championship against Mayo, seven didn’t start against Wicklow. Of the 20 used that day, a dozen were unavailable or only just back at the weekend. The lads drafted in are not of the same standard. O’Neill isn’t perfect but he can’t magic up replacements for Paul Cribbin and Daniel Flynn, because they don’t exist.
If we get some players back we’ll have a decent shot of beating Longford. If we don’t, we’ll probably lose; remember, we struggled over them last year when we had a much stronger team out.
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May   Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2019 9:00 pm

Personal faceless attacks at CON or anyone is wrong end of story the man is doing the job to the best of his ability now people are entitled to their opinion also.

My belief is that CON is not getting the best out of a bunch of kildare footballers and the basic principal of workrate is not there and i fear the 'laois minor celebrity syndrome' has crept into Kildare as someone else has eluded to....

Basically we are not willing to outwork and outfight our opponents and too many lads are shadow boxing and we don't do contact or tackling..... a lot of people on here go to a lot of club games and i for one don't see the county players shining in these games and some people from the big clubs will say some of them are not in as good of shape of some of the club players.... interested to hear any thoughts on this?

CON must be giving the most boring half time speeches as we haven't played well in the 2nd half of a game this year.
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May   Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2019 9:02 pm

Ohtoohtobe wrote:
A lot of people are acting like there’s some big mystery in the drop off in performances and results last year

Not the case, results and performances last year were not acceptable, everybody thinks that last season started and ended with a win against Mayo. We went a full year without winning a game last year, culminating with a championship defeat to Carlow, with D Flynn and P Cribben.
The buck stops with the manager and this manager is not fit for purpose.
Back to top Go down
Snowwhite
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May   Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2019 9:18 pm

flourman wrote:
Ohtoohtobe wrote:
A lot of people are acting like there’s some big mystery in the drop off in performances and results last year

Not the case, results and performances last year were not acceptable, everybody thinks that last season started and ended with a win against Mayo. We went a full year without winning a game last year, culminating with a championship defeat to Carlow, with D Flynn and P Cribben.
The buck stops with the manager and this manager is not fit for purpose.
I agree with you that the buck stops with the manager however Kildare's problems go a lot further than the manager.... The players are not delivering either....
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May   Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2019 9:20 pm

It's the manager job to get the best out of the players, to create an environment where the players can thrive and perform.
Back to top Go down
Snowwhite
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May   Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2019 9:30 pm

flourman wrote:
It's the manager job to get the best out of the players, to create an environment where the players can thrive and perform.
Agreed, however he cannot kick the bloody ball for them! They need to man up at some stage!
Back to top Go down
intheback
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May   Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2019 10:15 pm

Ohtoohtobe wrote:
A lot of people are acting like there’s some big mystery in the drop off in performances and results last year, but of the 15 that started in championship against Mayo, seven didn’t start against Wicklow. Of the 20 used that day, a dozen were unavailable or only just back at the weekend. The lads drafted in are not of the same standard. O’Neill isn’t perfect but he can’t magic up replacements for Paul Cribbin and Daniel Flynn, because they don’t exist.
If we get some players back we’ll have a decent shot of beating Longford. If we don’t, we’ll probably lose; remember, we struggled over them last year when we had a much stronger team out.

Good points there.

Back to top Go down
micky murphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May   Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2019 12:27 am

Just one thing that did and is driving me mental is not sure if i heard full interview with CON on KFM before game but it seemed that he spoke the whole interview about the players that were missing for one reason or another and never gave any positives about the lads that wanted to be there?
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May   Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2019 12:47 am

Thankfully it was Wicklow and not Offaly we played at the weekend..
Can we turn this shambles around in 2 weeks ?..
Back to top Go down
Badger85
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May   Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2019 1:36 am

We haven’t turned it around in three years, what makes you think two weeks will do it?
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May   Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2019 1:41 am

Badger85 wrote:
We haven’t turned it around in three years, what makes you think two weeks will do it?

I'm a delusional Kildare Supporter Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May   Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2019 1:42 am

SeamusMurphy wrote:
Badger85 wrote:

I'm a delusional Kildare Supporter Rolling Eyes

lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Badger85
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May   Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2019 1:54 am

Hahaha. We all are!!!!
You’d want to be sick in the head to go through life as a Kildare supporter. We’re all sadomasochists 😄😄😄
Back to top Go down
moatesports
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May   Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2019 2:25 am

Trying to be positive is very hard following this team, and I believe most here have Kildare football at heart ,a few things always seem to bother me is after every game we play it's near always the same team next day bar injuries immaterial how u played last time also Tom cribbin was Westmeath manager he had them set up hard to break down how come with us it's seems very easy this in my opinion is a question worth asking
Back to top Go down
http://moatesports.ie
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May   Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2019 2:41 am

They seem to be set up to mark spaces rather men, Wicklow were allowed advance until inside the 45 in the first half on Saturday night, before a glove was put near anybody. Players constantly running along side the man in possession and pointing to space.
Our tackling is utterly laughable at times. Constantly giving frees for high tackles and grabbing around the neck.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May   Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2019 3:43 am

Like or dislike joe brolly.. hard to argue with his comments last night folks.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May   Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2019 5:21 am

Was just thinking earlier about the broader picture within football in Kildare.

That heart-breaking night against Donegal in 2011 was the last time we were a truly an excellent team albeit it with flaws. In the eight seasons since, our only notable results have been the Mayo win which we know was a freak situation, arguably Cork in 2015 although that can be overstated and we know what happened next, and Meath in 2017 which is really clutching at straws given where they were at.

So basically, from starting the decade with so much energy and passion and interest and a serious team, it's essentially been downhill all the way.

Yet in that time we've been in four Leinster minor finals and won three which is more than Dublin have; in that time we've been to four Leinster under-21/20 finals, winning two of them, adding an All Ireland, and constantly have been going toe to toe with the boys up the road; we've started winning at schools level with Naas doing two in a row in Leinster and very nearly adding an All Ireland as well.

And yet get a huge amount of players as good as you'll see to senior and suddenly our level is for the most part around that of Carlow and Wicklow and Clare with us rightly worried about Longford now.

So what the f**k is going on? Something is septic far beyond just the manager.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May   Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2019 6:04 am

Do we maybe heap too much praise upon players who achieve at underage. By the time they reach senior level they believe they have already cracked it. I could be way off the mark here but I always remember a saying that I have heard in Kilkenny re they believe they get more off a bad minor team than a good one.

TK has rightly outlined above the level of recent underage success with little of it turned into success at senior level as of yet. Even if we take it more locally, Moorefield have only played in 3 minor finals since 2000 but have won 8 senior championships in that time and are favourites to make it 9 later this year.

I believe it is a culture change that is needed where everything at underage is about developing good players/people to represent Kildare at adult level rather than looking at winning at underage as a first and foremost
Back to top Go down
moatesports
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May   Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2019 7:21 am

Galway won a serious amount of all Ireland minor titles in both football and hurling and under 21 titles to booth and still just clicked the odd senior one I would take that all day but the football now at that level is completely different to senior level ,Kerry won 4 in a row minors but they even can't best that Dublin squad my point being maybe we need a Jim McGuiness type to completely alter our mind set and bring something different to the squad
Back to top Go down
http://moatesports.ie
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May   Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2019 8:10 am

For me, the diagnosis is quite straightforward.

Yeah, this group beat Mayo last year, but they haven’t taken on the most valuable lesson of Mayo football this decade. Mayo are a cause, a BELIEF SYSTEM, and until this Kildare squad internalises that approach - and indeed goes a step further - it’s total fucking bullshit tbh.

Having said that, do not underestimate the power a messianic, Horan/McGuinness-type figure could have on this group. The best Kildare team of my lifetime - 97-2000 - was brilliantly talented. But don’t believe for a second any of it would have happened without Mick O’Dwyer.

I am expecting two entertaining games in Tullamore on the 26th. But honestly, it’s kids’ stuff. Dublin will rightly have their feet up & expect to pulverise the winners at their leisure. Jesus, their third string would do it.

Until we get that chemistry right between management & players - and supporters - this is a total waste of time.
Back to top Go down
FionnMcCool
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May   Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2019 8:14 am

I think it's about time I made my return. It feels right.
Back to top Go down
Kildare98
All-Star
All-Star
Kildare98

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May   Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2019 8:26 am

I remember reading an interview with Cian where he talked about learning such & such from Jim McGuinness’s book, blah blah blah. Unfortunately he missed the most important part of that book.

That happens going into the 2011 Ulster championship, when Donegal have already been promoted to Div 1 & done everything McGuinness has asked of them. Nonetheless he takes them aside one evening and says, “This is fucking bullshit. You have NO IDEA what it’s going to take for us to win an All Ireland.”

It’s totally unreasonable, insane, but it’s what was necessary. Until we in Kildare, collectively, reach that level of zealotry, we may as well be in a fucking knitting circle. It is actually laughable how deluded we are about what’s required.

And as a Moorefield man, have no problem saying that to Cian’s face.
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May   Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2019 7:08 pm

Would he know who you are HG?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May   Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kildare v Wicklow - 11th May
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next