Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread***

Go down 
+61
Misneach
kildare
Lily8
squire
browser
MD
KILL BILL
gaaman
steviegenius
abl
Fear An Geata
decbuck
centreback
SamMaguire
nasher
Come on the Boys in Blue
townendterrace
Ned
GAA_PUNTER
Dinny Breen
stanley
carburyman
shortgrass
Sam1928
Derfil
Onhisboot
analysis
if_in_doubt
Ohtoohtobe
shortgrass1928
peile
geezershorts
Rex
jj
GaaHead
Pure White
midfieldmaestro
flourman
koko39
FearBan
bob12
kildarecat
tomcruise
kickingking
kartman
Jimmy winning matches
shoutitout
Ogie
Loads of Pints
rgb
armagh4sam
walsheman
Kaiser Sóze
rboy
bag of white
lilywhiteforlife
ChillDara
hawker
jnrwhite
Stonecold
mrblobby
65 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
nasher
Junior C
Junior C

All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread*** - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread***   All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread*** - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 5:32 pm

do any one know when the closeing date when they stop selling the tickets in newbridge st.conlents park for the match on sunday
Back to top Go down
armagh4sam
Senior
Senior

All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread*** - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread***   All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread*** - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 5:43 pm

Benny Tierney gives his view on Kildare management in impressive fashion..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/8937151.stm
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
Rex

PostSubject: Re: All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread***   All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread*** - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 5:55 pm

nasher wrote:
do any one know when the closeing date when they stop selling the tickets in newbridge st.conlents park for the match on sunday

I think they are selling them all week as far as I know
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread***   All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread*** - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 5:58 pm

Cooney and the bean counters in HQ are expecting 60,000 so there'll be plenty available on the day if you can't get them from your club or Newbridge.

There's normally a few prefabs around the ground - one opposite Gills on the North Circular. The ticket office on Dorset St is equally as handy.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread***   All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread*** - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 6:14 pm

Reports of his demise have been greatly somewhat exaggerated:

25 August 2010

Kildare to give Earley every chance
GAVIN CUMMISKEY Reports

LET’S CLEAR something up. Dermot Earley’s current injury is not the cruciate ligament damage sustained during a league game against Laois last spring.

No, in fact, he damaged another area of the same troublesome knee in the initial stages of the All-Ireland quarter-final against Meath almost four weeks ago.

However, the veteran midfielder remains a serious concern for Kildare’s semi-final against Down this Sunday.

Earley underwent keyhole surgery just days after Kildare’s excellent performance, largely in his absence, against Meath as selector Niall Carew explained yesterday (no other Kildare player or member of Kieran McGeeney’s management is available for comment this week).

“It wasn’t the cruciate,” confirmed Carew. “It was just a small bit of damage. We just repaired that. If it was the cruciate he would be gone but he has a problem with the cruciate as well but that wasn’t the problem against Meath – it was another problem in the same knee.

“Dermot might not need surgery with the type of cruciate injury he has. Even though it is gone he can build up around it. It depends on the make-up of the body. Some lads can build it up and that will do the job.

“If it was gone completely he wouldn’t be able to play. Full stop. But the fact it is still hanging on with some fibres there and scans show that. With some lads it just caves in but Dermot was able to play a few league games and get back for the championship . . .

“But that’s not our concern, it is the new injury and time is against him.”

Earley did commence some light jogging last weekend but it is probable that Hughie Lynch will start in midfield after his impressive cameo in the win over Meath.

Ronan Sweeney remains another, and certainly experienced, option for McGeeney.

“Dermot is huge for us both on and off the pitch,” explained Eamonn Callaghan recently, when picking up the Vodafone player of the month award for July, before adding: “But in Kildare we have a huge squad. Hughie Lynch game on and played very well, very composed. We have other lads as well who can come on. Obviously Dermot is a huge loss for us but hopefully he will be back. But we are fairly confident we have lads to come in to fill the gap.”

A decision on Earley will not be made until Sunday morning and it appears the long-serving midfielder will be allowed make the final call. “ We are going to give him every chance and let him decide,” added Carew.

Meanwhile, it now appears Down midfielder Ambrose Rodgers suffered only a strain of his cruciate knee ligament in a recent club game but it leaves him with a similar chance of featuring as Earley.

“Ambrose is not losing hope and there is a chance he will play but (Down manager) James (McCartan) is planning without him,” said Down PRO Ronan McMahon.

Kildare will release a team tomorrow with Down holding off
until Friday night.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2010/0825/1224277540601.html
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star
kickingking

PostSubject: Re: All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread***   All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread*** - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 6:19 pm

The thoughts of an fear láidir Darragh Ó Sé:

25 August 2010

For Kildare and Down the lesson is that it is about cool heads. I think Kildare have an edge there. They do what we said last week, they rotate the ball to the right guy in the right position.

A big factor for both of them are the loss of their midfielders. Ambrose Rodgers has been having a great season for Down. Dermot Earley will be a huge loss for Kildare.

I can see it being a cracking game. The dry ball had a huge bearing on the game on Sunday and I would hope we will get the same on Sunday. If we do it should suit Kildare’s game a little more. The way Croke Park plays in the wet and with a wet ball it will suit Down more but not enough. I’ve looked at it over and over and can’t see how Down can win. I see Kildare having a more comfortable win than Cork’s.

Every footballer on the Down and the Kildare panels would have been watching last Sunday and eyeing it up. When I was playing I always watched the hurling even. You get a good idea of the occasion and the colour, just letting it absorb into your mind. I always preferred playing in the second semi-final. It meant less time to the final and a chance to view the mistakes the teams made in the first semi-final. It is a big advantage if you use it rightly.

Kieran McGeeney won’t be a guy for belting the table and making big speeches. He will lay it on the line. He will be very ruthless. This is it. We come out of here beaten and we have nothing at all. If we lose we have nothing. If that’s what ye want, well and good.

Down will talk about tradition and their right to be here. Going into Sunday I just think deep down Kildare have more under their belt.

In the end there will be talk that this year’s All-Ireland will be a handy one for a top-three team to take. Cork won’t see it that way because it has been a long, long march for them and in my experience there is nothing won handily once you get to the Sundays in September.

“Cork? I think their name is on the cup. I imagine they don’t know themselves how they came out of Croke Park with a win. They’ll sit down this week and they will look at the video and they will be grateful that they have another chance to learn and improve

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2010/0825/1224277540731.html
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread***   All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread*** - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 1:54 am

I really wish I had his confidence. I agree totally with what he says and if I analyze the two teams I see the same outcome as O'Shea - but this is Kildare ... it just can't be that easy .... can it ???
Back to top Go down
Pure White
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread***   All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread*** - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 2:13 am

if_in_doubt wrote:
Anybody think that if Dermot is fit (enough) to start then he might be an option at full forward? Be the type of tactical move that Down wouldn't have prepared for and if we're going to play a target man up front then who better to challenge Dan Gordon under a high ball.

Only a thought now...

Dan Gordon is the type of player who would relish this, especially if he thought Dermot wasn't 100%, I honestly believe Dan Gordon would be more challenged by low fast ball into our full forward, towards the corner.. i.e Smithy, I think Dan Gordon wouldn't be able to cope with Smiths pace and agility.. Gordon is a natural Midfielder.. Only my opinion
Back to top Go down
shoutitout
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread***   All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread*** - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 2:44 am

Pure White, I would agree with you. Gordon would love to have a big man to mark on Sunday. What he wont want is the likes of Smithy and Jimmers pulling him out of position and running at him time and again.

When Dermot went into full forward in the Antrim game Roli came out to midfield. The thing is Roli will prob not start on Sunday as I cant see Geezer not start any of the six forwards that started against Meath. Dermot if fit will play midfield.
Back to top Go down
shortgrass
Senior
Senior
shortgrass

PostSubject: Re: All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread***   All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread*** - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 2:57 am

I don't know if Gordon will be at full back on Sunday??
Back to top Go down
tomcruise
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread***   All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread*** - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 4:26 am

I just met a mother of a famous ex Kildare footballer and she was shocked to hear that I would not be attending the breakfast in the K Club in the morning.Anyone got any details on same ? Who is it for ? Calling all Kildare Club Members.....
Back to top Go down
shortgrass
Senior
Senior
shortgrass

PostSubject: Re: All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread***   All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread*** - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 4:32 am

saw it on the new kildare website

http://www.kildaregaa.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=281:kildare-gaa-breakfast-morning-26th-august-2010&catid=41:home-news&Itemid=183

seems to me its on in the Keadeen Hotel and its 100 euro a ticket or 1000 euro a table. Not much other details on the page though..
Back to top Go down
SamMaguire
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread***   All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread*** - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 4:34 am

There's a link on the new site. €1,000 per table or €100 per person so great value in these recessionary times. Rolling Eyes

Christy Cooney is speaking at it. He should be interrogated about this new fence on the hill.
Back to top Go down
jj
All-Star
All-Star
jj

PostSubject: Re: All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread***   All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread*** - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 4:39 am

regardless of who is playing full back for Down on Sunday we heve to leave Smith and Kavanagh in a 2 man full forward line. They have being wreaking havoc and we cannot risk losing that to accomodate Dermot as good and all as he is
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread***   All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread*** - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 4:44 am

Saw pictures of the new fence in the paper yesterday. Jaysus lads its fairly severe. Very high too. This move really makes no sense to me. Fences have proven to be more dangerous than pitch invasions.

Hope it doesnt impact the view for us plebs on the Hill.
Back to top Go down
tomcruise
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread***   All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread*** - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 4:45 am

SamMaguire

Thanks for the info.Crazy money.Will give all the old folk a chance to reminisce on what the county has won in the past 80 years.
Back to top Go down
Pure White
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread***   All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread*** - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 4:59 am

shortgrass wrote:
I don't know if Gordon will be at full back on Sunday??

Thats true too Shortgrass, rumours over the border suggest he could be moved to mid field, that is off course if big Ambrose Rogers doesn't feature... rumours suggest he has as much as chance as Early to Start!!
Back to top Go down
SamMaguire
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread***   All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread*** - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 5:01 am

Is it clear perspex or an old style fence Sam? I didn't see the pic in the paper.
Back to top Go down
shortgrass
Senior
Senior
shortgrass

PostSubject: Re: All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread***   All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread*** - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 5:03 am

jj wrote:
regardless of who is playing full back for Down on Sunday we heve to leave Smith and Kavanagh in a 2 man full forward line. They have being wreaking havoc and we cannot risk losing that to accomodate Dermot as good and all as he is

That is a fair point alright...

But playing devil's advocate here Twisted Evil - I am guessing that for the last four weeks up in Down the talk between the down backs and the management would be how to tackle our 2,2,2 formation... What happens if we revert to a traditional full foward and tweak the formation slightly??

Its just a thought for discussion, I am not saying get rid of what was making us so successful. Worse case, have a plan B if plan A isn't working?? Question

Jesus can't wait till Sunday!!!!!!! Very Happy cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread***   All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread*** - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 5:09 am

We have been playing 2-2-2 for, ah, 2 years now... they have it well worked out what they're going to TRY to do... like most management teams, they have a man earmarked for each player but the Gordon/Rogers situations does muddy the waters a bit for them. They wouldn't be as worried about having to keep Gordon inside because we don't have a Donaghy and won't be barrelling big high ball in. Down also play a sweeper so it will be interesting if we can cope with that - we did against Antrim the second day but of course Down are much better - it's about runners hitting the line from deep and at pace, then drawing the cover and GOAL, GOAL, GOAL for Smith/Kavanagh/Callaghan/Doyle/O'Neill/O'Flaherty etc.... i.e. what Kilkenny hurlers do.

Simple!!
Back to top Go down
SamMaguire
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread***   All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread*** - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 5:14 am

tomcruise wrote:
SamMaguire

Thanks for the info.Crazy money.Will give all the old folk a chance to reminisce on what the county has won in the past 80 years.

Crazy is the word alright. It would want to be some breakfast!

People should be paid €100 to have to listen to Christy Cooney.
Back to top Go down
shortgrass
Senior
Senior
shortgrass

PostSubject: Re: All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread***   All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread*** - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 5:15 am

Ogie wrote:
We have been playing 2-2-2 for, ah, 2 years now... they have it well worked out what they're going to TRY to do... like most management teams, they have a man earmarked for each player but the Gordon/Rogers situations does muddy the waters a bit for them. They wouldn't be as worried about having to keep Gordon inside because we don't have a Donaghy and won't be barrelling big high ball in. Down also play a sweeper so it will be interesting if we can cope with that - we did against Antrim the second day but of course Down are much better - it's about runners hitting the line from deep and at pace, then drawing the cover and GOAL, GOAL, GOAL for Smith/Kavanagh/Callaghan/Doyle/O'Neill/O'Flaherty etc.... i.e. what Kilkenny hurlers do.

Simple!!

Sounds great !! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
centreback
All-Star
All-Star
centreback

PostSubject: Re: All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread***   All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread*** - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 5:18 am

well said ogie it is totally about the runners coming out the quicker we get the ball up past midfield we can deliver to smith and kavanagh before they drown back in numbers like in newbridge and crowd us out.
another problem that day in newbridge was primary possession in the middle they are very good at spoiling and winning possession around this area flynn and whoever his partner may be will be crucial for us along with breaking ball winners
Back to top Go down
shortgrass
Senior
Senior
shortgrass

PostSubject: Re: All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread***   All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread*** - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 5:24 am

i'd imagine that the breaking ball area is indeed crucial - I think against Meath and Monaghan we virtually cleaned up here... Hopefully it will be more of the same again on Sunday..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread***   All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread*** - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 5:26 am

centreback wrote:
well said ogie it is totally about the runners coming out the quicker we get the ball up past midfield we can deliver to smith and kavanagh before they drown back in numbers like in newbridge and crowd us out.
another problem that day in newbridge was primary possession in the middle they are very good at spoiling and winning possession around this area flynn and whoever his partner may be will be crucial for us along with breaking ball winners

Centreback thats day in Newbridge many months ago, we had 5 of the probable starting team on Sunday playing.

No Smith, No JD, No Morgan or Eoghan Flats, No Callaghan, No Peter Kelly, No Hughie McGrillen.

Down scored 1-16 that day, but Benney Coulter was kept scoreless.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread***   All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread*** - Page 9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

All Ireland Semi-Final 2010 Sunday 29th August 3.30pm Corke Park Kildare vs Down***Official Thread***
Page 9 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 17  Next